MATCHWATCH : Derby County (a) sponsored by things to come

268 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (a) sponsored by things to come

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Sep 2020 21:23

windermereROYAL All you Aluko haters can f*ck right off, all players can start off on a clean slate under new management, disgusting you were booing when he came on before he came on as sub.

I agree.i didn’t hear any booos at the ground though

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 12 Sep 2020 21:25

All aboard the new manager bounce train!

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Sep 2020 21:29

Lower West
Simmops That was a shite performance. Manager out and get Bowen back in.

That was Bowen's team.............

There's a long way to go yet.

The signings to come have to be right.

Long way to go sure but how long can you say any future wins are down to Jim Bowen?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Sep 2020 21:34

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound Joao been obscenely good today

Gotta say, this first XI looks pretty tasty, and it doesn't even include Meite or McIntyre. Still a bit concerned about how well we'll deal with a decent side that presses and posses a threat going forward. Derby made it so easy. But there's a lot of potential.

Squad looks very thin in places though, injuries and suspensions could cause a big problem. But the last thing we need to do is go out and sign a bunch of players and relegate lots of the current XI to the bench, or sign a lot to bloat the squad and just sit on the bench.

DM, LB and if we can shift at least two strikers, maybe someone to be back up to Joao

Would have won 4-0 with Bowen in charge though. :wink:

Did say a week or so ago we looked pretty sorted on the first 11. Meite and McIntyre to come back in

So dependent on Joao though it’s painful. Reason why I’d be ok with us signing Mendes as well if he is anything near similar

Agree. Get Mendes in, keep meite. Ditch mcnalty and or baldock and Puscas

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Sep 2020 21:35

Simmops
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL All you Aluko haters can f*ck right off, all players can start off on a clean slate under new management, disgusting you were booing when he came on before he came on as sub.

oxf*rd off.

He's had chances under 5 managers now and he been shit for all of them.

I thought you weren't supporting Reading anymore or were listening to the radio because we sacked Bowen off?

You are OMA and I claim my five pounds

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Sep 2020 22:19

Don't want to go overboard on one decent performance against a poor Derby side but Josh Laurent looks a very good addition to the squad and Philip Cocu's post match comments were interesting.

"The way Reading played was different to last season. A lot of rotation, good combination game, they really played some very good football and were hard to break down."

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Sep 2020 22:48

SouthDownsRoyal
Lower West
Simmops That was a shite performance. Manager out and get Bowen back in.

That was Bowen's team.............

There's a long way to go yet.

The signings to come have to be right.

Long way to go sure but how long can you say any future wins are down to Jim Bowen?

Let's see what plan B is when key players aren't available.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 12 Sep 2020 22:57

Well that’s made my weekend.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 12 Sep 2020 23:17

AthleticoSpizz
at this stage

^this^

However, our resident expert has probably been peeking through the training ground fence and knows what’s best :lol:

Indeed this. He was decent in the cup (yes, it was only Colchester) and decent again today. No, he hasn’t been spectacular in either game...but having some experience around like him will help the squad. Also, I suspect not having to be THE man (with the hefty price tag) will help him. He could be a useful squad player/sub this year. If that happens we might actual get a tiny amount of the £££ we spent on him back...

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Sep 2020 23:26

LUX Well that’s made my weekend.

Yeah, This,

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Sep 2020 00:09

Not seen mentioned but Omar Richards was excellent. Absolute baller.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 13 Sep 2020 00:21

Omar Richards looks up for it. Liam Moore much improved, Olise still looks very raw as expected. Aluko got stuck in for a 50-50 for the first time in a while, looked very tidy albeit ineffective. Swift needs to play deeper, perhaps in games where we are the favourites it makes sense to start him where Laurent played, with Laurent playing when we are away from home. Players looked absolutely knackered coming off after all that pressing which is refreshing to see and I hope we see the same thing all season in that regard.

Defensively we looked very good, restricted derby to half chances and Rooney couldn’t do anything when he came on, we’ll have to see what happens against a much better team before we make a judgement. Think the game made it obvious we need a backup for Joao and someone to play on the left so Ejaria can play in the middle. Very encouraging stuff nevertheless and we have something to build on now.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Sep 2020 00:46

Didn’t see the game but I suspect the midfield balance is much better with Laurent and Rinomhota offering energy and physicality allowing Swift, Ejaria and Olise to do the pretty stuff.

cornflake

by cornflake » 13 Sep 2020 00:50

Does anyone know who to contact about a refund ,as ifollow wasn't working very well for me.
No picture or sound at all in the second half.
Cheers

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 13 Sep 2020 01:23

A few observations.

The first XI is top 6 quality.

We've been performing as less than the sum of the parts for a long time.

Joao is the single most pivotal player we've had in recent memory. Not since before the glory days have we been so reliant on one player to get our game to work. Worth every penny if he stays fit/refs realise that big strikers can get fouled.

Ejaria is ridiculously good at this level. He's a player the sees three opposition players in front of him as an opportunity to humiliate.

Laurent performed well. Him + Rino, Yiadom, Richards is an amazing set of wide men to counter attack from.

Swift was quite quiet, but a large part of that was because the formation around him was functioning well enough to not force him to have to pull miracles out of nowhere.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Sep 2020 01:56

Snowball For those struggling to get in...

I did last year going "to iFollow"

Now I just go to Live Match Centre and click on watch live.

Has worked first time every time and picture VERY sharp

Can't remember accessing any other way and although sometimes slow entering no issues once in picture at least 720.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Sep 2020 02:59

Let's make no mistake: we were brilliant today.

Call it Pauno, call it honeymoon, call it luck. Whatever I don't care. First the comeback against Colchester, now this. 2 games , 2 emphatic deserved wins.

Whatever it is is great and long may it continue. I echo the concerns of others here obviously that what happens a) when João gets injured and b) if/when we get found out and need to employ a plan B.

That's when we'll really see Pauno's worth.

But for now what really shone more than anything for me was that we were first to pretty much every ball. These players gave their all. Pauno said that is v important to him and if that's all he brings that is already great.

We have a special team here, just need to keep the momentum, prepare for hiccups along the way. After demolishing a team that is expecting a playoff finish anything is possible.

Come on Reading and welcome Pauno!!!!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Sep 2020 03:01

royalp-we All aboard the new manager bounce train!

:lol:

...after my mate explained it to me, that is.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Sep 2020 03:10

Chameleon A few observations.

The first XI is top 6 quality.

We've been performing as less than the sum of the parts for a long time.

Joao is the single most pivotal player we've had in recent memory. Not since before the glory days have we been so reliant on one player to get our game to work. Worth every penny if he stays fit/refs realise that big strikers can get fouled.

Ejaria is ridiculously good at this level. He's a player the sees three opposition players in front of him as an opportunity to humiliate.

Laurent performed well. Him + Rino, Yiadom, Richards is an amazing set of wide men to counter attack from.

Swift was quite quiet, but a large part of that was because the formation around him was functioning well enough to not force him to have to pull miracles out of nowhere.

Agreed

I see several people saying this was Bowen's team but it wasn't.

This was his replacement's first attempt at fielding a full strength side from a much smaller squad but with the significant advantage of a fully fit Joao yet, he produced the best unit I've seen with or without him for several seasons, a rarity, as you rightly suggest, for being a fair reflection of the sum of it's parts.

While I felt Bowen had earned the right to show what he could do with a squad more of his own choosing, today was an insight into why others disagreed.

Joao will always be a big miss for us but Bowen usually made it far worse by refusing to replace him with Meite who at least had the physicality for the role, unlike Puscus or Baldock, turning a talented team into a blunt instrument.

Happy to eat my words if Paunovic follows suit but can't see it based on todays very impressive first day in charge.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2020 06:04

Probably the glow of a first day win against a Derby side we made look terrible but may well be, but with some sensible recruitment to give key support in key areas we will finish nearer the top than bottom.

268 posts