MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h) sponsored by Dean Morgan

248 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h) sponsored by Dean Morgan

by bcubed » 15 Sep 2020 10:51

Sutekh
Mid Sussex Royal
Fox Talbot For me, a surprisingly absolutely vital game - because I believe in momentum (small m!).

Possibly three home games in eight days - first two eminently winnable - Luton and Barnsley and my god do we need some home form!

Win those and that would send us into the MUFC game on a bit of a high. If we put out our best XI for that I'd give us a 10% shout of winning the tie (even if we only drew the game, Nameless) and the whole mood of the place would be transformed. Even a good showing in a loss against the men from Lancs would be alright.

Therefore for the Luton game I'd rest only Joao (Puscas) and Ejaria (Baldock) and maybe bring in McIntyre for Moore.

Despite the 0-5 Luton are no mugs - they made us look vulnerable at 0-0 in that game and they went on to stay up. So Velcro, put your top boys out.

Agree Luton are no mugs but they will rest players too and they run a small squad

Depends though, knowing ManU at home is awaiting the winners then that may mean both teams playing stronger than expected line ups

With no crowds how much of a prize is this? Presumably there's no finanical benefit.

Just depends on whether the opportunity to play them is an incentive for the players.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Sep 2020 10:57

bcubed
Sutekh
Mid Sussex Royal
Agree Luton are no mugs but they will rest players too and they run a small squad

Depends though, knowing ManU at home is awaiting the winners then that may mean both teams playing stronger than expected line ups

With no crowds how much of a prize is this? Presumably there's no finanical benefit.

Just depends on whether the opportunity to play them is an incentive for the players.

It might be televised? What's the pay-out for that?

But I think most players would like the chance to play The Reds

Then we could get to play Arsenal and I could die happy

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Sep 2020 11:02

Snowball
bcubed
Sutekh

It might be televised? What's the pay-out for that?

But I think most players would like the chance to play The Reds

Then we could get to play Arsenal and I could die happy

Yeah, I think it would be the TV money and the prestige of playing Utd more than anything in the current climate. Although I am a little bored with Utd knocking us out of cup competitions :lol:

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 15 Sep 2020 11:06

We have a minimum of 47 games over the next 8 months, with a (currently) fairly small and injury prone squad, I'd be more than happy to go out tonight while giving minutes to fringe players.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Sep 2020 11:25

Winning breeds winning. Try and go as far as possible without knackering our main players.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Sep 2020 11:29

leon Winning breeds winning. Try and go as far as possible without knackering our main players.

Agreed.
We have had just one league game and there is an international break in a few weeks' time so I would like to see us start with our perceived best eleven and bring on a few others if and when the game looks to be won.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Sep 2020 12:04

South Coast Royal
leon Winning breeds winning. Try and go as far as possible without knackering our main players.

Agreed.
We have had just one league game and there is an international break in a few weeks' time so I would like to see us start with our perceived best eleven and bring on a few others if and when the game looks to be won.

Partly agree, but we need to get Puscas playing, too
Last edited by Snowball on 15 Sep 2020 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Sep 2020 12:08

Snowball
South Coast Royal

Agreed.

Partly agree, but we need to get Puscas playing

Apparently we’re making 11 changes for tonight

So, if true, I’d have a guess at:

Southwood

Araruna
Holmes
McIntyre
Bristow

?
?

McNulty
Aluko
Baldock

Puscas

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 15 Sep 2020 12:22

URZZZZ
Snowball
South Coast Royal
Agreed.

Partly agree, but we need to get Puscas playing

Apparently we’re making 11 changes for tonight

So, if true, I’d have a guess at:

Southwood

Araruna
Holmes
McIntyre
Bristow

?
?

McNulty
Aluko
Baldock

Puscas

In addition to Southwood, Holmes & Bristow it’s likely Andresson, Abbey, Sackey, Tetek and Nevers will all make the squad. All were missing for the U23’s last night.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Sep 2020 12:32

Which is surely an argument for some rotation.

We have a decent chance of winning without our absolute best XI and we benefit from having more players ready to step in if there's injuries.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Sep 2020 12:34

Snowflake Royal

We have a decent chance of winning without our absolute best XI and we benefit from having more players ready to step in if there's injuries.

Whilst winning does breed winning, try telling that to Steve Coppell, who would routinely change entire squads for League and FA Cup games, and it didn't do us much harm :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Sep 2020 12:36

Hendo
Snowflake Royal

Whilst winning does breed winning, try telling that to Steve Coppell, who would routinely change entire squads for League and FA Cup games, and it didn't do us much harm :wink:

Well precisely.

Changing the team doesn't have to necessarily seriously hurt your chances of progression.

Iirc didn't we never go out to a lower division club under Coppell? Certainly very few.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Sep 2020 12:49

Snowflake Royal

Of course it is. It means we’re able to keep squad players fit, interested and ideally playing in the same way as the first team. Or if not make changes to style or approach that will benefit the first team.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Sep 2020 12:51

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal Which is surely an argument for some rotation.

Well precisely.

Changing the team doesn't have to necessarily seriously hurt your chances of progression.

Iirc didn't we never go out to a lower division club under Coppell? Certainly very few.

If memory serves me the real reluctance to go for it in the cups was when his team was in the PL. ie fighting for survival.

But I could be wrong. It has happened once or twice before.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Sep 2020 12:53

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal Which is surely an argument for some rotation.

Well precisely.

Just took a look back through and no we never did lose to a team in a lower division, there were quite a few instances of going out to teams in the same division, however, which lets remember, Luton are :)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Sep 2020 13:16

Hendo
Snowflake Royal

What did HE know?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Sep 2020 13:22

leon
Snowflake Royal
Hendo

Well precisely.

If memory serves me the real reluctance to go for it in the cups was when his team was in the PL. ie fighting for survival.

But I could be wrong. It has happened once or twice before.

He did it in 2005/06 too, although we had a much smaller squad so there wasn’t the opportunity to make as many changes. But he’d always bring in Hunt, Oster, Stack, and probably a new striker.

Just looked up the Arsenal match from the league cup. Lots of big names playing for the opposition, but the thing that jumped out at me was Muamba and Reyes both being in the side.

Anyway... eleven changes sounds good. Hope Nevers starts ahead of McNulty, but don’t really know enough about the current crop to comment beyond that. Lawless and Pendlebury would have been my picks for the midfield but they both played last night.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 15 Sep 2020 16:41

Sutekh

When : Tuesday 15th September 2020, 6pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Luton Town next in the second round of the league cup and with a visit from (mostly) ManU’s fringe first teamers awaiting the winners there’s going to be plenty to play for (and maybe even a bit of belief for the winners that a shock might be possible in round 3).

But let’s not get distracted, Luton will be out to give a good account of themselves and what better way of avenging the 0-5 that they suffered a couple of months ago than by turning the tables on their hosts. And they are capable, having already dumped former PL side Norwich out of the competition.

After the opening day, both Reading (at Derby) and Luton (at Barnsley) won so both teams still have a 100% record. Expecting Reading to field a strongish side but will be a higher proportion of the younger players as there were v Colchester.

Most important question to be answered though is will Reading’s home form start to show decent improvement on the utter **** that has bedevilled the club for the last 3 years?

Referee

Charles "first Reading game" Breakspear, from Surrey.

Historically

Three previous league cup ties against the hatters. Last time out was a 5-1 romp at the Mad Stad back in 2008 and the one before that was a 4-0 romp back in 2001, also at the Mad Stad. The tie before that was back in1980 when Luton won a two legged affair by 2-0 at Elm Park after a 1-1 at Kenilworth Road.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Sutekh- are you sure Mr Breakspear hasn`t refereed Reading before ? My info suggests 4 matches previously.
Last edited by Royals and Racers on 15 Sep 2020 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Sep 2020 17:02

Southwood
Watson
Bristow
McIntyre
Holmes
Araruna
Tetek
Aluko
McNulty
Baldock (c)
Puscas

+++++

Walker
Sackey
Abbey
East
Pendlebury
Ajose
Melvin-Lambert

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 15 Sep 2020 17:05

Hendo Southwood
Watson
Bristow
McIntyre
Holmes
Araruna
Tetek
Aluko
McNulty
Baldock (c)
Puscas

+++++

Walker
Sackey
Abbey
East
Pendlebury
Ajose
Melvin-Lambert

Wow, Watson and East out of nowhere, Pendlebury and Ajose on the bench after playing 90 mins last night, Baldock captain.
Dont think anyone predicted that.

248 posts