BFTiFollow - Luton (h) - Carabao Cup

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTiFollow - Luton (h) - Carabao Cup

by Millsy » 16 Sep 2020 10:13

leon What was actually the point of fielding last night’s side?

Was he hoping to discover an entire 2nd team made up of kids that could compete in the championship?

Surely he’d learn something fielding a team that had a remote chance of progressing.

So that then he had another chance of learning about certain young/fringe players in the next round. And possibly (you guessed it) learnt more in the round after that.

That’s how you use cups. Not fielding a team ridiculously out of its depth.

It’s really not difficult chaps.

It was a shit decision that achieved very little and the apologists and part time edgelords aren’t going to disabuse me of that opinion in a million years.

Having argued it was a good decision I see your point and it’s a good question. His approach is pretty much all one can question in this game.

Maybe he thought a team we demolished with 5 goals a few weeks back were beatable?

To be fair although we lost it was only 1-0 and under previous management that sort of performance and result is what we had come to expect with our first choice team so not far off business as usual.

Maybe he thought a bunch of kidlets would be balanced by, as Dellor puts it, a front four ‘worth’ £18million? Can’t blame a new manager for thinking that.

In that case I think he has learnt a lot. Maybe not what he was hoping to learn!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Sep 2020 10:16

NewCorkSeth
Zammo Puscas is one of Europe's best young forwards. I bet he honestly cannot believe what has happened to him since he came here. He might as well not have played last night. Bet he can't wait to leave, and I would not blame him at all.

Yes he was poor but what exactly do you expect from him? To both fashion his own chances and score them too? If he was capable of doing that he wouldn't be in the Champiobship. He had no service and was playing in front of 2, out of form, strikers. Where exactly do you expect the chance creation to come from.

Its all too easy to blame a striker after a loss like this but the blame, if it is even fair to blame anyone given the obvious reason for the starting XI, lies with our illustrious attacking 3 behind him who all squandered opportunities to contribute anything significant.

The attitude towards Puscas is becoming a real problem amongst Reading fans. If Joao had played that game there would not have been such a strange attack on his ability. People would, correctly, identified the issues in creation in the final third.

The difference is Joao is able to hold the ball up when he’s isolated, bring others into play, like on Saturday with Ejaria’s goal

Puscas really struggles at doing that, the ball seems to constantly bounce off him as a first touch and it’s clear that his qualities lie playing off the last defender running in behind, which isn’t really the way we play

Agree the criticism of him is over the top but he’s not the only scapegoat from last nights performance

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Sep 2020 10:20

leon What was actually the point of fielding last night’s side?

Was he hoping to discover an entire 2nd team made up of kids that could compete in the championship?

Surely he’d learn something fielding a team that had a remote chance of progressing.

So that then he had another chance of learning about certain young/fringe players in the next round. And possibly (you guessed it) learnt more in the round after that.

That’s how you use cups. Not fielding a team ridiculously out of its depth.

It’s really not difficult chaps.

It was a shit decision that achieved very little and the apologists and part time edgelords aren’t going to disabuse me of that opinion in a million years.

I agree

To those using the “experimenting” excuse, it was clear as day that using McNulty and Baldock as wide forwards didn’t work against Colchester, so why he thought it’d work against a much better team on a strong run of form doesn’t make sense

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Sep 2020 10:22

Ranty McRantface
Millsy
Ranty McRantface
Puscas 5 - He is not a loan striker at all.

Totally agree - I'm certain he was a permanent transfer. £8million or so IIRC.

Thanks for pointing out the typo.

Quite possibly my finest moment on HNA. 8)

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 16 Sep 2020 10:27

Millsy
Ranty McRantface
Millsy

Top nobbing

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2020 10:32

Millsy
Ranty McRantface
Millsy

low bar tbf

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Sep 2020 10:32

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Zammo Puscas is one of Europe's best young forwards. I bet he honestly cannot believe what has happened to him since he came here. He might as well not have played last night. Bet he can't wait to leave, and I would not blame him at all.

Yes he was poor but what exactly do you expect from him? To both fashion his own chances and score them too? If he was capable of doing that he wouldn't be in the Champiobship. He had no service and was playing in front of 2, out of form, strikers. Where exactly do you expect the chance creation to come from.

Its all too easy to blame a striker after a loss like this but the blame, if it is even fair to blame anyone given the obvious reason for the starting XI, lies with our illustrious attacking 3 behind him who all squandered opportunities to contribute anything significant.

The attitude towards Puscas is becoming a real problem amongst Reading fans. If Joao had played that game there would not have been such a strange attack on his ability. People would, correctly, identified the issues in creation in the final third.

The difference is Joao is able to hold the ball up when he’s isolated, bring others into play, like on Saturday with Ejaria’s goal

Puscas really struggles at doing that, the ball seems to constantly bounce off him as a first touch and it’s clear that his qualities lie playing off the last defender running in behind, which isn’t really the way we play

Agree the criticism of him is over the top but he’s not the only scapegoat from last nights performance

I think even the most vindictive critic of Puscas will admit he has improved a lot at his hold up play. Its a lot easier to impress when you have Ejaria, Swift and Olise playing behind you with the back up of Rinomhota, Laurent, Richards and Yiadom.

Reckon we should chill out on the comparisons before we see Puscas play with our first team.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Sep 2020 10:56

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Yes he was poor but what exactly do you expect from him? To both fashion his own chances and score them too? If he was capable of doing that he wouldn't be in the Champiobship. He had no service and was playing in front of 2, out of form, strikers. Where exactly do you expect the chance creation to come from.

I think even the most vindictive critic of Puscas will admit he has improved a lot at his hold up play. Its a lot easier to impress when you have Ejaria, Swift and Olise playing behind you with the back up of Rinomhota, Laurent, Richards and Yiadom.

Reckon we should chill out on the comparisons before we see Puscas play with our first team.

I agree that Puscas’ holdup play had improved around February/March time last year, but then I thought he was really quite poor post lockdown again

I reckon him and Joao would be a good partnership but doesn’t seem likely to happen

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Sep 2020 11:18

Puscas’s hold up play in the first half won a lot of plaudits, but that’s all forgotten after a poor second half. Contrastingly Tetek barely had a sniff in the first half (understandable given age and experience), but is winning loads of praise for one moment of magic in the second half. Seems to be very reactionary ATM. Let’s not judge a player based on one bad half. For all Puscas’ flaws he still scored over ten goals last season in a side that lacked real structure.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Sep 2020 11:25

SCIAG Puscas’s hold up play in the first half won a lot of plaudits, but that’s all forgotten after a poor second half. Contrastingly Tetek barely had a sniff in the first half (understandable given age and experience), but is winning loads of praise for one moment of magic in the second half. Seems to be very reactionary ATM. Let’s not judge a player based on one bad half. For all Puscas’ flaws he still scored over ten goals last season in a side that lacked real structure.

Over ten goals, in which the majority of which were when either paired with Joao/Baldock, or from the penalty spot

He scored very few goals last season as a lone striker and we struggled in the majority of games where he was up front by himself. It’s not his fault we’re not playing to his strengths but it’s a bit of a recurring theme

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2020 11:43

URZZZZ
SCIAG Puscas’s hold up play in the first half won a lot of plaudits, but that’s all forgotten after a poor second half. Contrastingly Tetek barely had a sniff in the first half (understandable given age and experience), but is winning loads of praise for one moment of magic in the second half. Seems to be very reactionary ATM. Let’s not judge a player based on one bad half. For all Puscas’ flaws he still scored over ten goals last season in a side that lacked real structure.

Over ten goals, in which the majority of which were when either paired with Joao/Baldock, or from the penalty spot

He scored very few goals last season as a lone striker and we struggled in the majority of games where he was up front by himself. It’s not his fault we’re not playing to his strengths but it’s a bit of a recurring theme

If we don't sell Puscas (I hope we don't) then I wonder if he could play wide-right
in the Meite role, a striker on wing, cutting in for goals?

Not saying we should drop Meite, and I would play the first 11 who played at Derby anyway
but we need to utilise him properly. If we really can't fit him in long-term, at least find a way
to get him scoring and get his sale price up.

Our record of misusing strikers knows no bounds.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Sep 2020 12:09

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Yes he was poor but what exactly do you expect from him? To both fashion his own chances and score them too? If he was capable of doing that he wouldn't be in the Champiobship. He had no service and was playing in front of 2, out of form, strikers. Where exactly do you expect the chance creation to come from.

Spot on. Even two of his fiercest critics - Dellor & Gooding - were giving him credit for his hold up play last night.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 16 Sep 2020 12:22

Tetek isn't drawing praise for one good moment it was his overall play. He was paired with an older pro for his first game and didn't need to be hand held on where to play or where to pass. For a 17 year old playing his first game against opposing experienced pros he did very well. Yes, the run in the second half was good but it's the overall display that was pleasing. In the 1st half he really stepped up his game after we conceded by getting more involved which is great character. In the second half he kept the play moving and spent a fair amount of time covering both the left and right when the full backs were driving forward to show good positional sense too.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Sep 2020 14:01

Youngish, he’s 24.

Be interesting to see if VP develops a plan B that plays to Puscas’ strengths.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Sep 2020 15:13

URZZZZ

I'm struggling to remember how much opportunities were created for him. Far too often our build up play was to slow. Which probably accounts for the number of on target efforts we had as a team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2020 18:15

Nameless Sorry Snowflake but your diatribe just smacks of someone who has decided they dislike everything about the club and are going to find a way to attack it whatever.
That was not poor selection, that was the only selection.
It was treated as a train8ng exercise (which you could criticise, but I’d suggest there was logic to doing so).
Once it was decided not to use the first team it became a question of giving anyone who didn’t play on Saturday a game (McIntyre, Puscas, Araruna, Southwood), let youngsters show whether they can step up (Holmes, Tetek, Bristol) and let players who probably aren’t going to feature make a last claim to be involved or move on (the rest).
Unfortunately that lot don’t nicely make up a team with everyone playing in their preferred position, and lack players with a bit of drive and leadership.
The game was probably as could have been predicted. Disjointed, shapeless, decent defensively, blunt going forward. We got some good results from the performances of Holmes, Southwood and Tetek. The first 2 are definitely first team squad ready, the third might just be our next breakthrough player.
So alternatives to this dismal management failure ?
His only option would have been to stick first team regulars in. Given we know we’re currently lacking cover what would that have bought us ? Rino or Laurent play and get a niggle, what does that do for Saturday ? Olise could have played perhaps as Meite is back Saturday but would h have made the difference ? Ejaria had a minor knock, Joao needs protecting so really the arguement comes down to whether Swift should have played instead of Watson....

You're not giving people a chance if you're playing them out of position and in a team that can't function.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Sep 2020 22:48

Snowflake Royal
Nameless Sorry Snowflake but your diatribe just smacks of someone who has decided they dislike everything about the club and are going to find a way to attack it whatever.
It was treated as a train8ng exercise (which you could criticise, but I’d suggest there was logic to doing so).
Once it was decided not to use the first team it became a question of giving anyone who didn’t play on Saturday a game (McIntyre, Puscas, Araruna, Southwood), let youngsters show whether they can step up (Holmes, Tetek, Bristol) and let players who probably aren’t going to feature make a last claim to be involved or move on (the rest).
Unfortunately that lot don’t nicely make up a team with everyone playing in their preferred position, and lack players with a bit of drive and leadership.
The game was probably as could have been predicted. Disjointed, shapeless, decent defensively, blunt going forward. We got some good results from the performances of Holmes, Southwood and Tetek. The first 2 are definitely first team squad ready, the third might just be our next breakthrough player.
His only option would have been to stick first team regulars in. Given we know we’re currently lacking cover what would that have bought us ? Rino or Laurent play and get a niggle, what does that do for Saturday ? Olise could have played perhaps as Meite is back Saturday but would h have made the difference ? Ejaria had a minor knock, Joao needs protecting so really the arguement comes down to whether Swift should have played instead of Watson....

You're not giving people a chance if you're playing them out of position and in a team that can't function.

Perhaps our new manager was making a point to his bosses. This squad is wafer thin. Few injuries and suspensions as the season progresses................ soon spiral out of control. Getting to a World Cup final with a pick of the best players. Is very different to creating a winning squad that's unified.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 17 Sep 2020 08:04

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Is that not what we were watching 6 weeks ago?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Sep 2020 08:17

Simon's Church
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Is that not what we were watching 6 weeks ago?

You mean the team that was very clearly on the beach? The team where both formation and starting line up changed every game? No. Thats not what we were watching imo. Different circumstances for one, very different attitude for another.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Sep 2020 08:21

Lower West
Snowflake Royal

Perhaps our new manager was making a point to his bosses. This squad is wafer thin. Few injuries and suspensions as the season progresses................ soon spiral out of control. Getting to a World Cup final with a pick of the best players. Is very different to creating a winning squad that's unified.

May not be a massive coincidence that we were suddenly linked with/putting bids in for 3 new players yesterday.