Successful Chaos

JR

Successful Chaos

by JR » 15 Sep 2020 23:47

Undoubtedly it has been a very unusual pre-season and I’m not overly happy with the manner in which Bowen was removed (albeit his entrance was equally shady), however there is part of me that is excited by the chaos.

I feel we have as good a first XI as any other team in this division - and Saturday’s opening performance bore this out.

In recent seasons we have lacked momentum and our best players have not delivered consistently.

It’s now a fresh season and I’m not sure exactly why but I’m hugely optimistic - this chaos might just work.

We have an owner desperate to splash his cash - and as long as that is complementary rather than disruptive it can’t help but improve our chances of promotion.

Of course we know very little about the new manager, so it’s an unknown how he gels with the squad.

But let’s strap in and enjoy the ride. Promotion here we come!

Old Man Andrews

Re: Successful Chaos

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Sep 2020 08:32

Wow thanks for that. Groundbreaking.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Sep 2020 08:48

Correct we have a strong first eleven, however unless we get some new faces through the door once the inevitable injuries kick in we could be in trouble.

This bench against Derby was extremely weak.
Baldock
Araruna
Southwood
Aluko
Holmes
Bristow
Puscas

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Sep 2020 08:58

windermereROYAL Correct we have a strong first eleven, however unless we get some new faces through the door once the inevitable injuries kick in we could be in trouble.

Baldock
Araruna
Southwood
Aluko
Holmes
Bristow
Puscas

Although replace Aluko with Meite and Bristow with McIntyre and it gives a better idea of where we are.
The performance of Tetek last night was also very encouraging....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Sep 2020 07:44

Nameless
windermereROYAL Correct we have a strong first eleven, however unless we get some new faces through the door once the inevitable injuries kick in we could be in trouble.

Baldock
Araruna
Southwood
Aluko
Holmes
Bristow
Puscas

Although replace Aluko with Meite and Bristow with McIntyre and it gives a better idea of where we are.
The performance of Tetek last night was also very encouraging....

Yep - a bench of

Baldock,
Araruna
Southwood
Meite
Holmes
McIntyre
Puscas

is a pretty decent bench for this level - we will see new faces through the door sooner rather than later - so replace say Baldock for Riquelme and Homes for Pele/Semedo and that is a pretty decent looking 18.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Sep 2020 09:29

What examples of successful chaos exist? Watford are the only one I can think of, and their luck ran out last year. I guess Birmingham have succeeded in non-disastrous chaos.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Sep 2020 09:48

WestYorksRoyal What examples of successful chaos exist? Watford are the only one I can think of, and their luck ran out last year. I guess Birmingham have succeeded in non-disastrous chaos.

Chelsea, Real Madrid.....

So not much evidence of success there !

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Sep 2020 09:55

Professor Chaos?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Sep 2020 10:08

Villa seem a bit chaotic at the moment, but seems to be working out for them so far.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Sep 2020 10:25

Nameless
WestYorksRoyal What examples of successful chaos exist? Watford are the only one I can think of, and their luck ran out last year. I guess Birmingham have succeeded in non-disastrous chaos.

Might have slightly more resources than us.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Sep 2020 10:34

Hendo Villa seem a bit chaotic at the moment, but seems to be working out for them so far.

Relative. Them in the Championship is comparable to us being in L1 when you look at size and resources. So if you deemed us getting promoted back from L1 to Championship and narrowly avoiding relegation as successful, you have a point. It wouldn't be disastrous.

I'm hoping we can be like Leicester and learn to be slightly less chaotic under the same owners. (Not suggesting we'll be quite that good). I remember when Leicester's owners arrived. They hired Sven and loaned players like Yakubu and Darius Vassell. One of my favourite Kebe memories is watching him tear their team of superstars a new one. The following summer they bought Mills off us for £5.5m and spent a load more on other mediocre players, while we went up under McDermott.

But the same Leicester owners learnt playing fantasy football doesn't work, and they've now been very successful through smart investment. It started under the unglamorous work of Pearson.

I feel like we've been going through the stage of trying fantasy football and rolling the dice. Now we need a more coherent plan. The difference between us and Leicester is FFP. They could keep spending until they got it right; we'll get a points deduction if our gambling doesn't take us up.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Sep 2020 12:30

WestYorksRoyal
Nameless

That wasn’t the question...
And they are competing at a rather higher level!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Sep 2020 12:37

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo Villa seem a bit chaotic at the moment, but seems to be working out for them so far.

Relative. Them in the Championship is comparable to us being in L1 when you look at size and resources. So if you deemed us getting promoted back from L1 to Championship and narrowly avoiding relegation as successful, you have a point. It wouldn't be disastrous.

I'm hoping we can be like Leicester and learn to be slightly less chaotic under the same owners. (Not suggesting we'll be quite that good). I remember when Leicester's owners arrived. They hired Sven and loaned players like Yakubu and Darius Vassell. One of my favourite Kebe memories is watching him tear their team of superstars a new one. The following summer they bought Mills off us for £5.5m and spent a load more on other mediocre players, while we went up under McDermott.

But the same Leicester owners learnt playing fantasy football doesn't work, and they've now been very successful through smart investment. It started under the unglamorous work of Pearson.

I feel like we've been going through the stage of trying fantasy football and rolling the dice. Now we need a more coherent plan. The difference between us and Leicester is FFP. They could keep spending until they got it right; we'll get a points deduction if our gambling doesn't take us up.

Didn't hurt they got a bit lucky with Vardy. Knockaert was key to their promotion too though we haven't shown any signs that we're willing to sign one of the best players in our division.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2020 13:33

Nameless
WestYorksRoyal
Nameless

They have comparatively greater resources than most of their competitors even at the higher level.

Out of the hundreds of clubs in Euorpe that seems to be a rather low tally for positive examples.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Sep 2020 14:15

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
WestYorksRoyal Might have slightly more resources than us.

They have comparatively greater resources than most of their competitors even at the higher level.

Out of the hundreds of clubs in Euorpe that seems to be a rather low tally for positive examples.

What have resources got to do with anything ?
We’ve got more resources than almost any club at this level but are constrained by FFP artificially skewing things.
Given the poster asked for other examples beyond the one he could think of I think 2 incredibly high profile, incredibly successful multi trophy winning teams seems a pretty decent response. It was never suggested it was a common approach......

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Sep 2020 14:51

WestYorksRoyal I feel like we've been going through the stage of trying fantasy football and rolling the dice. Now we need a more coherent plan.

There appeared to be a plan. Ultimately it transpired there wasn't. Clubs that are successful. Are far more than just a good manager. The club will have a structure that encompasses a wealth of football knowledge. The recent documentary on Liverpool was extremely enlightening. Arguable their return to the top. Is in part down to an overseas owner that gets the club and understands sport. Invested for the long term. Under the previous owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks the club was in a toxic state.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Sep 2020 14:57

Lower West
WestYorksRoyal I feel like we've been going through the stage of trying fantasy football and rolling the dice. Now we need a more coherent plan.

There appeared to be a plan. Ultimately it transpired there wasn't. Clubs that are successful. Are far more than just a good manager. The club will have a structure that encompasses a wealth of football knowledge. The recent documentary on Liverpool was extremely enlightening. Arguable their return to the top. Is in part down to an overseas owner that gets the club and understands sport. Invested for the long term. Under the previous owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks the club was in a toxic state.

Agreed.
It looked like Bowen back as DofF supporting a new coaching focused manager was a sensible and supportable move. Trust Bowen to mess that up......
The Chief Exec change is harder to call. The new guy is not some random foreigner parachuted in, the timing might not have been great but time will tell as to what he brings. Certainly the season ticket stuff has been well thought out and well communicated although obviously any positives must be down to Nige whilst and negatives will be the new guy

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Sep 2020 17:37

Nameless
Lower West

Agreed.
It looked like Bowen back as DofF supporting a new coaching focused manager was a sensible and supportable move. Trust Bowen to mess that up......
The Chief Exec change is harder to call. The new guy is not some random foreigner parachuted in, the timing might not have been great but time will tell as to what he brings. Certainly the season ticket stuff has been well thought out and well communicated although obviously any positives must be down to Nige whilst and negatives will be the new guy

New CEO is very low key. Temporary measure perhaps.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2020 18:17

Someone who won't tell Dai he's clueless and doing it wrong.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Sep 2020 19:25

Lower West
Nameless
Lower West

Agreed.

New CEO is very low key. Temporary measure perhaps.

Possibly, although talking to someone who worked at the club until recently apparantly the new guy has actually been around ages and been heavily involved.