BF I follow Barnsley

226 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BF I follow Barnsley

by royalp-we » 19 Sep 2020 22:54

We certainly still need to start games better at home. I think everyone can agree it really wasn’t impressive up to Barnsley going down to 10.

If we persist with 1 up top at home, to actually create anything we NEED Swift, Olise and Ejaria to play closer together to create openings between them.

Olise and Ejaria were far too wide and too far from each other to create anything meaningful and it showed In the first half today. They simply are not wide players.

Two strikers at home with new wingers, or stick with our three best creative players behind the lone striker and work on things?

I guess it’s a good predicament to have for Pauno!

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 19 Sep 2020 22:58

The only other thing I’ll add is that both Derby and Barnsley showed nothing up top, no presence at all.

Cardiff will be a real test for our defence next week with Kieffer Moore and with Watford the following week; there’s some far tougher games ahead.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Sep 2020 23:08

royalp-we The only other thing I’ll add is that both Derby and Barnsley showed nothing up top, no presence at all.

Cardiff will be a real test for our defence next week with Kieffer Moore and with Watford the following week; there’s some far tougher games ahead.

Yep Moore will be a handful.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Sep 2020 23:36

Zip
royalp-we The only other thing I’ll add is that both Derby and Barnsley showed nothing up top, no presence at all.

Offsetting that, our best performances last year were underdog away performances and I feel we're naturally well set up to beat teams on the counter. Today was the sort of fixture which worries me more, and while we got 3 points I'm still not convinced about us at home and in game we're expected to win.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Sep 2020 23:52

WestYorksRoyal
Zip

Offsetting that, our best performances last year were underdog away performances and I feel we're naturally well set up to beat teams on the counter. Today was the sort of fixture which worries me more, and while we got 3 points I'm still not convinced about us at home and in game we're expected to win.

Agreed.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 19 Sep 2020 23:57

I'm not convinced that Meite is very good technically at football. He doesn't have an outstanding touch, shooting can be streaky, and he doesn't link up amazingly with teammates. What he does do very well is showing up when we need him, and he absolutely cares an awful lot about doing well (for this club). When we're struggling to get a breakthrough he'll get himself into a position to score. Not since ALFie and the Big Bad Wolf have we had a player who while technically nothing special will work their heart out to score that breakthrough goal (and do it more often than not)

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 19 Sep 2020 23:59

WestYorksRoyal
Zip

Definitely, our team is built extremely well to make the most of rare opportunities and to counter quickly. Funnily enough we sort of did that well today. There were three clear opportunities (Swift marginally offside 3', Ejaria clipped by last defender on halfway for a yellow, Joao held back by last defender for a red) where had the whistle not been blown we would have more likely than not scored. Them deciding to take the cards disguised our good performance in this area.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Sep 2020 00:03

Chameleon I'm not convinced that Meite is very good technically at football. He doesn't have an outstanding touch, shooting can be streaky, and he doesn't link up amazingly with teammates. What he does do very well is showing up when we need him, and he absolutely cares an awful lot about doing well (for this club). When we're struggling to get a breakthrough he'll get himself into a position to score. Not since ALFie and the Big Bad Wolf have we had a player who while technically nothing special will work their heart out to score that breakthrough goal (and do it more often than not)

Awful team board opinion.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Sep 2020 00:12

Old Man Andrews
Chameleon I'm not convinced that Meite is very good technically at football. He doesn't have an outstanding touch, shooting can be streaky, and he doesn't link up amazingly with teammates. What he does do very well is showing up when we need him, and he absolutely cares an awful lot about doing well (for this club). When we're struggling to get a breakthrough he'll get himself into a position to score. Not since ALFie and the Big Bad Wolf have we had a player who while technically nothing special will work their heart out to score that breakthrough goal (and do it more often than not)

Ok I’ll bite.

Why?

And you better make it good.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 20 Sep 2020 03:31

Just popped in to say in my 50+ years of following sport I have yet to see a good loss or a bad win...that is all.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Sep 2020 05:20

leon
Old Man Andrews

Ok I’ll bite.

Why?

And you better make it good.

You can't label someone playing in the second tier of English football who is on about 20k a week and who was spotted by PSG at a young age as not being good technically. I think there is truth in the fact his touch is sometimes poor and heavy but it is a bit ridiculous to suggest there is a massive issue with his overall technique.

Watch his performance in the Luton away game last season. If that isn't demonstrating decent enough technique I don't know what is. I think the poster may have used the wrong word in relation to Meite. "Raw" would have been a better adjective imo.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Sep 2020 07:01

Libertine Just popped in to say in my 50+ years of following sport I have yet to see a good loss or a bad win...that is all.

Agreed.

Arsenal yesterday were badly off-colour, and West Ham were often
all over them. But two class goals by the home team and Arsenal won 2-1

It's a cliche that good teams win when playing badly, but in the end
it's TAKING goals, that extra bit of class, that usually wins out.

When the results are "remember at the beginning of the season" the Almanacs
won't say reading or Arsenal were lucky. They will say they won, though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2020 07:20

royalp-we We certainly still need to start games better at home. I think everyone can agree it really wasn’t impressive up to Barnsley going down to 10.

If we persist with 1 up top at home, to actually create anything we NEED Swift, Olise and Ejaria to play closer together to create openings between them.

Olise and Ejaria were far too wide and too far from each other to create anything meaningful and it showed In the first half today. They simply are not wide players.

Two strikers at home with new wingers, or stick with our three best creative players behind the lone striker and work on things?

I guess it’s a good predicament to have for Pauno!

I thought we spent vast swathes of the first half playing into Barnsley's hand by playing extremely narrow and allowing them to squeeze the space and hunt in packs. Mick made several comments about being able to throw a blanket over the whole team. Olise spent half his time in the middle or even over on the left rather than out wide right.

The rule in football has always been the attacking team tries to spread play, stretch the opposition and make the pitch big whilst the defending team try to compact everything and make the pitch small.

We've been pretty poor at both of those for years. So often have our defensive shape spread and players pressing in ones or twos, defenders isolated or standing off. Whilst our attackers are often close together and marked by two or three opposition at once.

We needed to play out quicker and use the full width of the pitch better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2020 07:26

Snowball
Libertine Just popped in to say in my 50+ years of following sport I have yet to see a good loss or a bad win...that is all.

Agreed.

Arsenal yesterday were badly off-colour, and West Ham were often
all over them. But two class goals by the home team and Arsenal won 2-1

It's a cliche that good teams win when playing badly, but in the end
it's TAKING goals, that extra bit of class, that usually wins out.

When the results are "remember at the beginning of the season" the Almanacs
won't say reading or Arsenal were lucky. They will say they won, though.

Plymouth in 2005 being an obvious example of a good loss. Played well, got a bit unlucky against a good performance and could tell we looked like we'd have a good year. Went on to have an amazing year and I left the game happy.

You can't win em all, so losing is only really a big deal if you're doing it too often or it's a poor performance. Always being upset at losing just seems greedy to me. My take anyway.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BF I follow Barnsle

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2020 08:05

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Absolutely, which is why I don't think you'll find me saying we wouldn't have won without the reds, but that we were somewhat lucky to get the reds and took advantage of them.

And why no one suggested you did...
Not sure why luck was involved. First one Joao was tripped by the last defender with a clear run on goal, second one was handball when ona yellow....

Last defender is an irrelevance.

For me, Joao was never beating the keeper to the ball, which makes it not a clear goalscoring opportunity, which makes it not a red.

I think what tipped the ref into the red is that there had already been one challenge taking down a player (Olise) trying to break through on goal (but who had absolutely no chance of getting to the ball first), so given this was closer and he'd already got a hard time from us on the first one he took the slightly easier option.

Also think it's hard to say the second was an arm in an unnatural position, but the game was already done by that point.

Being the last defender is certainly not an irrelevance.
It’s not in itself a reason to give a red but the position of other defenders is very much a factor and therefore if you are the last defender you don’t have the mitigating factor of another defender being able to make a legitimAte challenge.
Whether the keeper would have got there first is a tough one, he was well out of his area and I reckon there would have been every chance the end result could have actually been worse for Barnsley - if the defender had not pulled Joao back it could easily have been the keeper committing the foul. When you have a deliberate foul stopping a 50:50 between a striker and the keeper you are always going to consider that a goalscoring opportunity
Interesting to note the ref indicates the card was not for trip but for holding Joao back, hard to get a good view of that from the camera angle

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BF I follow Barnsle

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2020 09:12

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless
And why no one suggested you did...
Not sure why luck was involved. First one Joao was tripped by the last defender with a clear run on goal, second one was handball when ona yellow....

Last defender is an irrelevance.

For me, Joao was never beating the keeper to the ball, which makes it not a clear goalscoring opportunity, which makes it not a red.

I think what tipped the ref into the red is that there had already been one challenge taking down a player (Olise) trying to break through on goal (but who had absolutely no chance of getting to the ball first), so given this was closer and he'd already got a hard time from us on the first one he took the slightly easier option.

Also think it's hard to say the second was an arm in an unnatural position, but the game was already done by that point.

Being the last defender is certainly not an irrelevance.
It’s not in itself a reason to give a red but the position of other defenders is very much a factor and therefore if you are the last defender you don’t have the mitigating factor of another defender being able to make a legitimAte challenge.
Whether the keeper would have got there first is a tough one, he was well out of his area and I reckon there would have been every chance the end result could have actually been worse for Barnsley - if the defender had not pulled Joao back it could easily have been the keeper committing the foul. When you have a deliberate foul stopping a 50:50 between a striker and the keeper you are always going to consider that a goalscoring opportunity
Interesting to note the ref indicates the card was not for trip but for holding Joao back, hard to get a good view of that from the camera angle

Definite pull back (which Joao made the most of - legitimately).

The key is whether it's a clear goalscoring opportunity, the number of defenders around is not referenced in the law and it's not really helpful to talk about 'last defender's because it leads to a lot of misunderstanding about what should be red.

Defender fouls him, so the only consideration after that is who is favourite to get the ball. Keeper or striker. Fair enough if you think it's a 50/50, that would just about getting there for the red, but has nothing to do with the defender. I don't think it was close to 50/50 and the keeper was always clearing the ball.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2020 09:15

Michael Olise's post match interview was a bit painful. Usual cliches, looked nervous and awkward, didn't say a lot. Oh well, I guess no one is perfect!

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 20 Sep 2020 09:31

Snowflake Royal Michael Olise's post match interview was a bit painful. Usual cliches, looked nervous and awkward, didn't say a lot. Oh well, I guess no one is perfect!

I agree, felt for him.

Plus I thought he was French, is that just a family thing or does he have stronger ties?

Anyone know?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2020 09:50

Linden Jones' Tash
Snowflake Royal Michael Olise's post match interview was a bit painful. Usual cliches, looked nervous and awkward, didn't say a lot. Oh well, I guess no one is perfect!

I agree, felt for him.

Plus I thought he was French, is that just a family thing or does he have stronger ties?

Anyone know?

Family I think.

yuomi

by yuomi » 20 Sep 2020 09:51

Linden Jones' Tash

I agree, felt for him.

Anyone know?

Family thing. He was born in England, and was also eligible for England and Nigeria.

According to wiki, his brother has played for England youth.

226 posts