BFT Cardiff iFollow

173 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFT Cardiff iFollow

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Sep 2020 11:44

URZZZZ We seem to have a strong spine to the team, which means our more “technical” players are able to fit in, which didn’t seem the case in the last few seasons. Balance between graft and flair is crucial

For example, I’m sure having Rinomhota, Laurent and Morrison around Araruna and Richards are really developing their game and improving them as a player. Wise, knowledgable players who help relieve the pressure

Similarly Joao up top brings out the best in Olise, Ejaria, Aluko etc. Knowing the ball will likely stick to him means those sort of players can make better decisions about where to be etc

Another conundrum next week if Joao is out (and perhaps the foreseeable). Will be big pressure on Puscas/Baldock IMO

Agree. I don’t see Puscas/Baldock offering anywhere near as much as Joao but as you say time for them to step up

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Sep 2020 11:50

SouthDownsRoyal
URZZZZ We seem to have a strong spine to the team, which means our more “technical” players are able to fit in, which didn’t seem the case in the last few seasons. Balance between graft and flair is crucial

For example, I’m sure having Rinomhota, Laurent and Morrison around Araruna and Richards are really developing their game and improving them as a player. Wise, knowledgable players who help relieve the pressure

Similarly Joao up top brings out the best in Olise, Ejaria, Aluko etc. Knowing the ball will likely stick to him means those sort of players can make better decisions about where to be etc

Another conundrum next week if Joao is out (and perhaps the foreseeable). Will be big pressure on Puscas/Baldock IMO

Agree. I don’t see Puscas/Baldock offering anywhere near as much as Joao but as you say time for them to step up

Yes, but this is because currently we play to Joao's strengths.

He's a great hold-up player, so we play a lot of out-balls into the opponent's half for him to bring down.

If you have different players you can't turn them into Joao-style hold-uppers
in a week, so adjust the play to suit the players. Probably balls played down the wings
in the channels, so both these players, or one "opposite" Meite can ball chase, which
they are better at than trying to suddenly become hold-up guys

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 27 Sep 2020 11:52

Westwood52 Anybody had a dislocated shoulder ? Do they just snap it back in;leave it for a week and your as good as new ?Yet some people need surgery.Did Moore ever get surgery done ?I have only ever dislocated a finger(volleyball,yeah I know),so I have no idea.A moment of extreme pain while they put it back,then no problems thereafter;despite the doc giving me a shedload of pain killers,which I didn’t need (and I have shares in paracetamol).

I think it is a bit different between a sportsperson in peak physical condition who gets instant medical attention and someone in their 50's, but my wife dislocated her shoulder, which got sorted (after a 4 hr wait for an ambulance), but then - reaching for a cushion - popped it out again; that needed months of physio and stopped her for driving for 3 months......

They can be extremely unpleasant.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Sep 2020 11:53

Snowball
SouthDownsRoyal

Yes, but this is because currently we play to Joao's strengths.

He's a great hold-up player, so we play a lot of out-balls into the opponent's half for him to bring down.

If you have different players you can't turn them into Joao-style hold-uppers
in a week, so adjust the play to suit the players. Probably balls played down the wings
in the channels, so bot these players, or one opposite Meite can ball chase, which
they are better at than trying to suddenly become hold-up guys

True, fair points. I hope Panko can adjust they playing style to suit Puscas and or baldock to get the best out of them, which will be vital because surely at best three to four weeks without joao (maybe) we don’t want to find we end up drifting for a month or so picking up the odd point and frustrating Puscas/baldock by not giving them the supply they need

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Sep 2020 14:10

Mr Angry
Westwood52 Anybody had a dislocated shoulder ? Do they just snap it back in;leave it for a week and your as good as new ?Yet some people need surgery.Did Moore ever get surgery done ?I have only ever dislocated a finger(volleyball,yeah I know),so I have no idea.A moment of extreme pain while they put it back,then no problems thereafter;despite the doc giving me a shedload of pain killers,which I didn’t need (and I have shares in paracetamol).

I think it is a bit different between a sportsperson in peak physical condition who gets instant medical attention and someone in their 50's, but my wife dislocated her shoulder, which got sorted (after a 4 hr wait for an ambulance), but then - reaching for a cushion - popped it out again; that needed months of physio and stopped her for driving for 3 months......

They can be extremely unpleasant.

I think the dislocation itself is less of an issue than possible damage to ligaments or to the bone. If it literally pops in and out (as with Moore) it’s not too big a deal although you are at risk of it happening again (as with Moore) If part of the dislocation causes bone damage etc then it’s a much bigger deal.
I have no medical qualifications.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Sep 2020 17:07

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? Don't want to go too overboard as we've played 3 teams who are no great shakes at the moment but Paunovic is shaping up to have a blend of good man management skills and solid tactical nous.

The players look so much better drilled and disciplined than in recent years. I wonder whether it's purely down to the manager having a clearer, simpler and more precise game plan.

I love this quote

"The identity is still forging but we have a game plan and we stick to it. We adjusted to go through difficult moments"

Crucial week ahead of us. I'd like to see some sensible, focused recruitment ahead of good performance in a genuine test against Watford.

When he was arriving we were told he changed the tactics and team each week to focus on the opposition. This, amongst a couple of other things, seemed a really bad sign to me.

Very encouraged that hasn't been the case, though with our lack of depth and now injuries there isn't exactly much choice.

To be fair, a lot of that criticism came from across the pond where I know quite a few newish supporters of soccer have struggled to grasp the technicalities!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Sep 2020 20:34

Zip
Norfolk Royal
Pepe the Horseman I had to clutch my knee while I read this.

I’ve got a Chihuahua dog and both hind leg knees often dislocate and pop back in straight away with no apparent ill effects so don’t see the problem with it really.

How good is your Chihuahua at hold up play?

On his day can run rings around a cow.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Sep 2020 20:38

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? Don't want to go too overboard as we've played 3 teams who are no great shakes at the moment but Paunovic is shaping up to have a blend of good man management skills and solid tactical nous.

The players look so much better drilled and disciplined than in recent years. I wonder whether it's purely down to the manager having a clearer, simpler and more precise game plan.

I love this quote

"The identity is still forging but we have a game plan and we stick to it. We adjusted to go through difficult moments"

Crucial week ahead of us. I'd like to see some sensible, focused recruitment ahead of good performance in a genuine test against Watford.

When he was arriving we were told he changed the tactics and team each week to focus on the opposition. This, amongst a couple of other things, seemed a really bad sign to me.

Very encouraged that hasn't been the case, though with our lack of depth and now injuries there isn't exactly much choice.

To be fair, a lot of that criticism came from across the pond where I know quite a few newish supporters of soccer have struggled to grasp the technicalities!
Plenty of seasoned supporters on this side of the pond still haven’t grasped the technicalities :wink:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Sep 2020 20:59

Norfolk Royal
Zip
Norfolk Royal
I’ve got a Chihuahua dog and both hind leg knees often dislocate and pop back in straight away with no apparent ill effects so don’t see the problem with it really.

How good is your Chihuahua at hold up play?

On his day can run rings around a cow.

Sign him up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2020 21:46

SCIAG
RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal When he was arriving we were told he changed the tactics and team each week to focus on the opposition. This, amongst a couple of other things, seemed a really bad sign to me.

Plenty of seasoned supporters on this side of the pond still haven’t grasped the technicalities :wink:

Not sure how hard it is to grasp the technicalities of the first XI changing regularly

Even some of our, ahem, less insightful fans manage it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Sep 2020 00:53

Holmes did well when he came on.

Loved the triangle in midfield loads of energy. Reminded me of the 2006 team. Defence was solid.

We might have a bit of a team here.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Sep 2020 08:17

leon Holmes did well when he came on.

Loved the triangle in midfield loads of energy. Reminded me of the 2006 team. Defence was solid.

We might have a bit of a team here.

Holmes did do well when he came on. Good impact for a sub playing out of position.

Have we talked about Ararunas throw ins yet? Because they were outstandingly bad. Obvious Cardiff did well in blocking paths and our players looked disinterested in actually moving to get the ball.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Sep 2020 09:28

Baldock is best place to do that job - more so than Puscas...... or they buy that kid from Blackpool!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Sep 2020 09:37

From Despair To Where? Don't want to go too overboard as we've played 3 teams who are no great shakes at the moment

Where does this come from?

I mean, I agree with the sentiment re: not going overboard but the idea that the teams we played aren't that good from various fans just baffles me.

Derby, who missed out on playoffs last season and who are thoroughly expecting a top-6 finish this season.
Cardiff, recently from the PL and missed out on promotion last season.
Oddly enough Barnsley the team we'd have thought would be easy were in good form and actually very good, but we still soaked up everything they threw at us and won.

Of course, let's not go overboard but we can't rubbish this achievement.

Interestingly, the only time Cardiff won three on the bounce at the start of a season 3 years ago they got promoted. Just saying.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Sep 2020 09:55

Derby are shit this season and have been easily beaten by 3 supposedly mid table teams at best. If you read their forums, their fans are seriously turning against Cocu and Rooney

Cardiff are losing players left, right and centre. If you read their forums, their fans are seriously pissed off with Harris and the direction the clubs going and Vincent Tan is looking to sell because his business has tanked bevause of Covid.

Barnsley havn't scored in the league this season and we're lucky to survive last season and their manager who masterminded their escape is about to join New York Red Bulls

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 28 Sep 2020 10:25

I have a mate who dislocated his shoulder quite a lot when we were younger.
He used to pop it back in himself and crack on regardless. I asked him how and it was a case of pulling the arm out, bodily, and up then pops back in.

Came in as handy knowledge when I had to do it for him 30 metres off the coast of Hayling Island 20 odd years ago.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Sep 2020 10:27

I guess with Joao, at least it isn't a knee or hamstring injury, something which needs to be 100% before he plays again and we have the international break coming up so that minimises the games he misses.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Sep 2020 10:32

think as mentioned Puscas didnt miss a lot when he did his last season.

Other way to look at it though is Joao needs his upper body strength to be as effective (see the comical brushing off of Morrison trying to rugby tackle him). I'd hope even if he is able to play it doesn't compromise that too much

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Sep 2020 10:38

Dave the rave I have a mate who dislocated his shoulder quite a lot when we were younger.
He used to pop it back in himself and crack on regardless. I asked him how and it was a case of pulling the arm out, bodily, and up then pops back in.

Came in as handy knowledge when I had to do it for him 30 metres off the coast of Hayling Island 20 odd years ago.

The good news both for your mate and Joao is that if they ever get put in a bag and thrown in the sea by a bunch of corrupt South African embassy staff they can just pop their shoulder out and easily escape.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Sep 2020 10:39

BTW just checking again after not having watched the game on Saturday, we're definitely still going up yeah?

173 posts