BFT Cardiff iFollow

173 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFT Cardiff iFollow

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2020 12:46

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth do we count set pieces as crosses? I mean obviously a corner into the box is a cross but set pieces are normally their own thing right?

If it's swung into the box above the ground from wide I don't see why you wouldn't call it a cross. A corner is just a cross to restart the game into a set situation. Same for a wide freekick.

Yeah i accept that. Its just, when you see a team described as "good at crossing" it rarely refers to set pieces.

Anyway, point is I dont think we are particularly good at crossing during open play. At least, I cant think of anyone other than Richards and maybe Araruna who do it on a consistent basis at a good level. And Richards certainly appears to be taking after Yiadom in preferring to hold onto it and cut in.

Not that any of this is what the discussion was actually about..

To be fair my point was about Joao being good at burying crosses (and better than Puscas IMO).

Our crossing was largely awful last season which is odd because Obita and Blackett were both very capable crosses of the ball.

Obita's loss of pace and fitness basically meant he was rarely in control, a d so his crosses were a bit more at a stretch of blowing hard, meaning they dipped in quality.

Plus Ejaria, Meite and Yiadom very rarely cross.

Araruna being out is a real shame because he's put in some absolutely beautiful crosses. And I don't just mean they look good, they actually pick someone out. Personally I don't think Osho was even close to our best crosser, but what he did do was actually try to cross fairly regularly.

Olise has a very good cross too IMO.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Sep 2020 12:56

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal If it's swung into the box above the ground from wide I don't see why you wouldn't call it a cross. A corner is just a cross to restart the game into a set situation. Same for a wide freekick.

Yeah i accept that. Its just, when you see a team described as "good at crossing" it rarely refers to set pieces.

Anyway, point is I dont think we are particularly good at crossing during open play. At least, I cant think of anyone other than Richards and maybe Araruna who do it on a consistent basis at a good level. And Richards certainly appears to be taking after Yiadom in preferring to hold onto it and cut in.

To be fair my point was about Joao being good at burying crosses (and better than Puscas IMO).

Our crossing was largely awful last season which is odd because Obita and Blackett were both very capable crosses of the ball.

Obita's loss of pace and fitness basically meant he was rarely in control, a d so his crosses were a bit more at a stretch of blowing hard, meaning they dipped in quality.

Araruna being out is a real shame because he's put in some absolutely beautiful crosses. And I don't just mean they look good, they actually pick someone out. Personally I don't think Osho was even close to our best crosser, but what he did do was actually try to cross fairly regularly.

I dont disagree with any of the last really. I like Ararunas crossing because he seems to have a good sense as to when he should cross as well as the ability to hit them first time. Problem I was having when thinking about it was he is rather further forward than I think he should be so I wonder if it is just because he is taking up a higher position that he has been able to put them in.

Not related but is bugging me now: Why do people keep calling Joao a target man or, on virtue of that, are calling for us to sign a target man?

Yes he is good at controlling long balls and challenging in the air but he does a lot more than that for the team. Fact is his best attribute is not his hold up play, its his ability to fashion his own chances. Signing an actual target man wouldn't really be much of a back up for him unless they too were silky smooth with the ball at their feet.

Interestingly only Ejaria has lost the ball or been dispossessed more than Joao has this season yet Joao is thought of as some goliath who will always hold up the ball no matter what.

I say this now because Watford are apparently very good at winning back possession and winning aerial duels. Perhaps Joao isn't an ideal match for this coming game and the more direct Puscas could do a little better with the right distribution? Heaven knows Ejaria and Olise are capable of slotting a nice through ball through.

Will be very interesting to see what Pauno does for this game. I'm actually quite excited. Good litmus test coming up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2020 13:14

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Yeah i accept that. Its just, when you see a team described as "good at crossing" it rarely refers to set pieces.

I dont disagree with any of the last really. I like Ararunas crossing because he seems to have a good sense as to when he should cross as well as the ability to hit them first time. Problem I was having when thinking about it was he is rather further forward than I think he should be so I wonder if it is just because he is taking up a higher position that he has been able to put them in.

Not related but is bugging me now: Why do people keep calling Joao a target man or, on virtue of that, are calling for us to sign a target man?

Yes he is good at controlling long balls and challenging in the air but he does a lot more than that for the team. Fact is his best attribute is not his hold up play, its his ability to fashion his own chances. Signing an actual target man wouldn't really be much of a back up for him unless they too were silky smooth with the ball at their feet.

Interestingly only Ejaria has lost the ball or been dispossessed more than Joao has this season yet Joao is thought of as some goliath who will always hold up the ball no matter what.

I say this now because Watford are apparently very good at winning back possession and winning aerial duels. Perhaps Joao isn't an ideal match for this coming game and the more direct Puscas could do a little better with the right distribution? Heaven knows Ejaria and Olise are capable of slotting a nice through ball through.

Will be very interesting to see what Pauno does for this game. I'm actually quite excited. Good litmus test coming up.

I can only assume that people call Joao a target man because he can hold the ball up. He's not really anything like a traditional target man. He's just very very good all round.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Sep 2020 17:12

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal To be fair my point was about Joao being good at burying crosses (and better than Puscas IMO).

I can only assume that people call Joao a target man because he can hold the ball up. He's not really anything like a traditional target man. He's just very very good all round.

I haven't seen too much of him - but the Kitson comparison is interesting. Tall guy, not overly physical but good on the deck and able to link up play as well as score goals.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Sep 2020 17:51

leon
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I dont disagree with any of the last really. I like Ararunas crossing because he seems to have a good sense as to when he should cross as well as the ability to hit them first time. Problem I was having when thinking about it was he is rather further forward than I think he should be so I wonder if it is just because he is taking up a higher position that he has been able to put them in.

I haven't seen too much of him - but the Kitson comparison is interesting. Tall guy, not overly physical but good on the deck and able to link up play as well as score goals.

I wouldnt say Joao isn't overly physical. He holds of CBs with apparant ease at times. He certainly doesn't shove his weight around but it feels like he doesn't need to, that he finds holding a raging CB off rather simple.

I know we are all biggin him up right now and he does have some faults beyond the obvious injury problem but to be fair to everyone on here, its all stuff we said last season. He hasn't suddenly become as good as he is at the stuff he is good at. Its always been there, according to SU fans too, just a pleasure that we are getting to see it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2020 17:55

The Kitson comparison only holds up so far... Joao seems more physical and strong.

But both just look all round good, play smart and score consistently.

And both would have had bigger careers (so far) but for injuries. Kitson hated training and that was his downfall. Got a glimpse of that at the weekend with Joao when he tried to walk back on after halftime ignoring the cone warm up everyone was doing until bodily pushed off the pitch and told in no uncertain terms to do it too.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Sep 2020 19:53

Snowflake Royal The Kitson comparison only holds up so far... Joao seems more physical and strong.

And both would have had bigger careers (so far) but for injuries. Kitson hated training and that was his downfall. Got a glimpse of that at the weekend with Joao when he tried to walk back on after halftime ignoring the cone warm up everyone was doing until bodily pushed off the pitch and told in no uncertain terms to do it too.

That push didn't weaken his shoulder did it ? :shock:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2020 21:05

Kitson comparison is good. I cant say I’ve noticed - does Joao get back and defend as much as Kitson used to? In any case yeah quite similar in many regards.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Sep 2020 21:21

Snowflake Royal The Kitson comparison only holds up so far... Joao seems more physical and strong.

Attitude and application is often the downfall of talented individuals.

Davezk

by Davezk » 30 Sep 2020 07:35

NewCorkSeth
leon
Snowflake Royal I can only assume that people call Joao a target man because he can hold the ball up. He's not really anything like a traditional target man. He's just very very good all round.

I wouldnt say Joao isn't overly physical. He holds of CBs with apparant ease at times. He certainly doesn't shove his weight around but it feels like he doesn't need to, that he finds holding a raging CB off rather simple.

I know we are all biggin him up right now and he does have some faults beyond the obvious injury problem but to be fair to everyone on here, its all stuff we said last season. He hasn't suddenly become as good as he is at the stuff he is good at. Its always been there, according to SU* fans too, just a pleasure that we are getting to see it.

Sheffield Wed* but otherwise spot on

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Sep 2020 07:50

Davezk
NewCorkSeth
leon

I know we are all biggin him up right now and he does have some faults beyond the obvious injury problem but to be fair to everyone on here, its all stuff we said last season. He hasn't suddenly become as good as he is at the stuff he is good at. Its always been there, according to SU* fans too, just a pleasure that we are getting to see it.

Sheffield Wed* but otherwise spot on

Jesus thats embarrassing. How did I mess that up?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Sep 2020 07:53

Millsy Kitson comparison is good. I cant say I’ve noticed - does Joao get back and defend as much as Kitson used to? In any case yeah quite similar in many regards.

Joao rarely goes back for anything other than corners. But I think he's been instructed to stay forward rather than doesnt bother. However he does sit deeper naturally than a lot of other forwards. Said it before but reminds me of Ibra at PSG. He was constantly just randomly popping up all over the pitch because he was getting bored of not having the ball.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Sep 2020 09:14

Eddie on Twitter reporting the injury is not too bad.

Arm in a sling as precautionary measure, could play on Saturday but would be a risk. Paunovic has been advised to leave him out and allow more recovery time over the international break.

Could only miss 1 game if true.

173 posts