RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: BFT Cardiff iFollow

by RoyalBlue » 28 Sep 2020 19:32

Lower West
Millsy
Snowflake Royal For some reason Millsy thinks he was the best crossed at the club.

I counted several good crosses from him when were putting roughly no good crosses in per game, so yeah the boy can cross. Some pointed out Obita or Blackett arguably better at crossing, but they've since gone.

Blackett could whip a good delivery in with pace. Crossing wise we are generally poor. Puscas needs the ball played in front him to attack. Not our style of football.

Surely we don't yet really know our style of football? One of Bowen's weaknesses was that his plans A, B and C all revolved around Joao, so we were screwed when Joao was injured. This will be a good test of VP to see what he does in terms of setup and style of play when Joao is not available.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 19:36

I'd argue Joao is better at getting on the end of a cross than Puscas anyway.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Sep 2020 20:13

Snowflake Royal I'd argue Joao is better at everything than Puscas anyway.

Corrected for you.

(and that's coming from a Puscas fan)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 23:09

Joao gives me Kitson vibes

Good feet, clever player, made of papiermache

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Sep 2020 23:13

Snowflake Royal I'd argue Joao is better at getting on the end of a cross than Puscas anyway.

How many goals has Joao scored from crosses? I presume you mean headers?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 23:15

Snowball
Snowflake Royal I'd argue Joao is better at getting on the end of a cross than Puscas anyway.

Head, feet, whatever.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Sep 2020 23:41

RoyalBlue
Lower West
Millsy

I counted several good crosses from him when were putting roughly no good crosses in per game, so yeah the boy can cross. Some pointed out Obita or Blackett arguably better at crossing, but they've since gone.

Blackett could whip a good delivery in with pace. Crossing wise we are generally poor. Puscas needs the ball played in front him to attack. Not our style of football.

Surely we don't yet really know our style of football? One of Bowen's weaknesses was that his plans A, B and C all revolved around Joao, so we were screwed when Joao was injured. This will be a good test of VP to see what he does in terms of setup and style of play when Joao is not available.

With no additions to the squad. Difficult to see a radically different approach attacking wise.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Sep 2020 00:05

I can only think of one converted cross (from the RB) a header

Be interesting to look at last year’s half-dozen

Don’t dispute that Joao is streets ahead as a hold-up player, but scoring headers? No.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2020 00:11

Snowball

Crosses? Reading? You having a laugh?

Is he having a laugh?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2020 00:13

RoyalBlue
Lower West
Millsy

To go all OMA on you... thanks for that ground-breaking point no-one's made before.... :wink:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Sep 2020 09:02

Snowflake Royal Joao gives me Kitson vibes

Same, tbh.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Sep 2020 09:16

Hendo
Snowflake Royal Joao gives me Kitson vibes

Same, tbh.

Ditto. Such a shame.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2020 09:39

What's Joao's favourite meal for a main course?

Joao Main

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, I'll get my coat.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2020 10:50

Millsy
Snowball

Is he having a laugh?

1) Gillingham pre-season - Head, Olise corner
2) Colchester League Cup - Head, Araruna cross
3) Arguable whether it counts, Colchester League Cup - Feet, Araruna cross from left flicked on, controlled, turned and scored
4) Derby League - Feet, Olise corner to near post
5) Cardiff League - Head, Olise freekick on the left

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Sep 2020 11:33

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowball

Is he having a laugh?

3) Arguable whether it counts, Colchester League Cup - Feet, Araruna cross from left flicked on, controlled, turned and scored

do we count set pieces as crosses? I mean obviously a corner into the box is a cross but set pieces are normally their own thing right?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2020 11:43

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

Is he having a laugh?

do we count set pieces as crosses? I mean obviously a corner into the box is a cross but set pieces are normally their own thing right?

Rhetorical Q, point being we're shit at producing crosses into the box, referring to my concern about this weeks ago and followed up by the stats Ian posted to back it up, showing we produced the lowest crosses per game in the Championship.

Set pieces obviously don't count when it comes to discussing RFC's crossing problem. So take out Cup games and set pieces and the above all evaporates. But also obviously we have crossed and scored from crosses, noone is denying that. One that springs to mind is a header from Baldock for example, can't remember the game though.

But set pieces or not Ian's example are very relevant to what we were talking about i.e.do we have a striker who can put the ball away when it is crossed in, being set piece or not. I'd say yeah I think we do, the problem is just we're not creating enough of them hence the comment.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Sep 2020 11:51

Millsy
RoyalBlue
Lower West

To go all OMA on you... thanks for that ground-breaking point no-one's made before.... :wink:

Sorry, maybe I'm going blind & losing my memory, but I don't recall too many people mentioning that it will be a good test of VP to see how he responds when Joao is available.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2020 12:14

RoyalBlue
Millsy
RoyalBlue

Sorry, maybe I'm going blind & losing my memory, but I don't recall too many people mentioning that it will be a good test of VP to see how he responds when Joao is unavailable.

Heh no worries I'm just being a arse sorry mate. Yeah it's a good point and one most of us have been making since he was announced. Good point though nevertheless. Let' see eh?

(corrected your typo to say unavailable, assume that's what you meant)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Sep 2020 12:34

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

Is he having a laugh?

If it's swung into the box above the ground from wide I don't see why you wouldn't call it a cross. A corner is just a cross to restart the game into a set situation. Same for a wide freekick.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Sep 2020 12:40

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal 1) Gillingham pre-season - Head, Olise corner

If it's swung into the box above the ground from wide I don't see why you wouldn't call it a cross. A corner is just a cross to restart the game into a set situation. Same for a wide freekick.

Yeah i accept that. Its just, when you see a team described as "good at crossing" it rarely refers to set pieces.

Anyway, point is I dont think we are particularly good at crossing during open play. At least, I cant think of anyone other than Richards and maybe Araruna who do it on a consistent basis at a good level. And Richards certainly appears to be taking after Yiadom in preferring to hold onto it and cut in.

Not that any of this is what the discussion was actually about..

173 posts