BFT Cardiff iFollow

173 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: BFT Cardiff iFollow

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Sep 2020 10:41

No we aren't, not yet anyway. If we are in the top 6 around Christmas time then it is time to get excited, not a minute before.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Sep 2020 10:41

Silver Fox BTW just checking again after not having watched the game on Saturday, we're definitely still going up yeah?

It is the only logical train of thought.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 28 Sep 2020 10:45

Silver Fox
Dave the rave I have a mate who dislocated his shoulder quite a lot when we were younger.
He used to pop it back in himself and crack on regardless. I asked him how and it was a case of pulling the arm out, bodily, and up then pops back in.

Came in as handy knowledge when I had to do it for him 30 metres off the coast of Hayling Island 20 odd years ago.

The good news both for your mate and Joao is that if they ever get put in a bag and thrown in the sea by a bunch of corrupt South African embassy staff they can just pop their shoulder out and easily escape.

Rummages through the back of my mind....gets it eventually. 8)
The bird in that film as well.....

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Sep 2020 10:46

Hendo
Silver Fox BTW just checking again after not having watched the game on Saturday, we're definitely still going up yeah?

It is the only logical train of thought.

Thought so, cheers for the confirmation

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 10:47

From Despair To Where? Derby are shit this season and have been easily beaten by 3 supposedly mid table teams at best. If you read their forums, their fans are seriously turning against Cocu and Rooney

Cardiff are losing players left, right and centre. If you read their forums, their fans are seriously pissed off with Harris and the direction the clubs going and Vincent Tan is looking to sell because his business has tanked bevause of Covid.

Barnsley havn't scored in the league this season and we're lucky to survive last season and their manager who masterminded their escape is about to join New York Red Bulls

I thought Barnsley looked good, if blunt, and Cardiff were decent, but time will tell. I thought Charlton looked good early last season afterall :oops:

Derby were absolute horseshit though.

Give it another half a dozen games or so and the league should have shaped up enough to take proper stock.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Sep 2020 10:50

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? Derby are shit this season and have been easily beaten by 3 supposedly mid table teams at best. If you read their forums, their fans are seriously turning against Cocu and Rooney

Cardiff are losing players left, right and centre. If you read their forums, their fans are seriously pissed off with Harris and the direction the clubs going and Vincent Tan is looking to sell because his business has tanked bevause of Covid.

Barnsley havn't scored in the league this season and we're lucky to survive last season and their manager who masterminded their escape is about to join New York Red Bulls

I thought Barnsley looked good, if blunt, and Cardiff were decent, but time will tell. I thought Charlton looked good early last season afterall :oops:

Give it another half a dozen games or so and the league should have shaped up enough to take proper stock.

Good thing for me is that I was fine with 3 points from Cardiff, Watford and 'Boro so anything out of the next 2 games is a bit of a bonus for me.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Sep 2020 10:51

Realistic summary.
Great start by us though
Two tricky games to come in Watford home and 'Boro away.
Then two apparently very winnable games at home v Wycombe and Rotherham.
Then 2 further tricky away games at Blackburn and Coventry.

If we are still in the top 2 by then I really will believe and look with more interest at my 25/1 promotion bet.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Sep 2020 10:53

South Coast Royal

Realistic summary.
Great start by us though
Two tricky games to come in Watford home and 'Boro away.
Then two apparently very winnable games at home v Wycombe and Rotherham.
Then 2 further tricky away games at Blackburn and Coventry.

If we are still in the top 2 by then I really will believe and look with more interest at my 25/1 promotion bet.

Watford will tell us exactly where we are. They have had a good start and have some Premier League players in their squad, would take a draw if it was offered now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 10:56

Hendo
Snowflake Royal

Good thing for me is that I was fine with 3 points from Cardiff, Watford and 'Boro so anything out of the next 2 games is a bit of a bonus for me.

Watford will obviously be a challenge, but Middlesbrough were shit last season and aren't exactly taking home the points so far this.

Our start looked pretty easy on paper before the season started.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Sep 2020 11:01

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal I thought Barnsley looked good, if blunt, and Cardiff were decent, but time will tell. I thought Charlton looked good early last season afterall :oops:

Watford will obviously be a challenge, but Middlesbrough were shit last season and aren't exactly taking home the points so far this.

Was basing it on the fact that it feels like we haven't won at Middlesborough for 20 years :lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Sep 2020 11:01

Old Man Andrews No we aren't, not yet anyway. If we are in the top 6 around Christmas time then it is time to get excited, not a minute before.

So if we won ten on the trot, but hadn't got to Xmas we shouldn't be excited?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Sep 2020 11:01

If you read any forums you'll get negativity, especially after a defeat or two.

This discussion after three legit wins proves it!

Many clubs have been facing player losses and uncertainty with covid, as have we.

It's easy to look back and make excuses for wins, but these wins were legit wins against decent opposition.

However you can easily say that this is due to a honeymoon period, strange covid situation with little pre-season break, effect of no crowds etc etc all mixing things up a bit so yeah I completely agree with your sentiment abotu goign overboard but there's no way playoff hopefuls Derby, PL-missing Cardiff and the in-form Barnsley (their fans were upset that we thought it'd be an easy game and they were right, they were good!) could be considered a subpar group of teams, just because their fans moan. Even if you really push it you would say at worst they're mreely representative of the championship.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Sep 2020 11:03

Snowball
Old Man Andrews No we aren't, not yet anyway. If we are in the top 6 around Christmas time then it is time to get excited, not a minute before.

So if we won ten on the trot, but hadn't got to Xmas we shouldn't be excited?

Not in the Championship no. There are so many games and anything can happen.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Sep 2020 11:06

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Hendo

Was basing it on the fact that it feels like we haven't won at Middlesborough for 20 years :lol:

One of my favourite away days ever was the 1-0 at Ayresome Park in 1995.
Beating Bryan Robson's side of mainly Premiership quality players was some result and we then believed that the top flight could be reached that season.

Unfortunately there was no fairy tale ending and we had to wait 11 more years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 11:14

Millsy

Many clubs have been facing player losses and uncertainty with covid, as have we.

It's easy to look back and make excuses for wins, but these wins were legit wins against decent opposition.

However you can easily say that this is due to a honeymoon period, strange covid situation with little pre-season break, effect of no crowds etc etc all mixing things up a bit so yeah I completely agree with your sentiment abotu goign overboard but there's no way playoff hopefuls Derby, PL-missing Cardiff and the in-form Barnsley (their fans were upset that we thought it'd be an easy game and they were right, they were good!) could be considered a subpar group of teams, just because their fans moan. Even if you really push it you would say at worst they're mreely representative of the championship.

Derby have been consistently awful for three games. And most importantly actually were dire against us. We won't find a much easier game than that.

Barnsley had two players sent off and you can't call them in form if they haven't scored a goal or won a match this season. Maybe Barnsley will be good this season, but once the reds started flying that contest petered out.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Sep 2020 11:20

Millsy

Last season is irrelevant. i'm considering them sub par because they are not very good. Derby are a shambles, Barnsley cant score and Cardiff are a functional, one dimentional team in the process of sellling their most creative player to Sheffield Wednesday for £500,000. They have 4 points out of 9 games, scoring 4 and conceding 15 between the 3 of them.

Watford will be a big step up in quality from those 3, particularly because they are very solid defensively and will be a much better gauge of where we are.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Sep 2020 11:29

Snowflake Royal
Millsy

Derby have been consistently awful for three games. And most importantly actually were dire against us. We won't find a much easier game than that.

Barnsley had two players sent off and you can't call them in form if they haven't scored a goal or won a match this season. Maybe Barnsley will be good this season, but once the reds started flying that contest petered out.

Consistent for... 3 games? We've been consistently good for... 3 games. Ok, they had an awful end of last season, granted, but the fact is they are expecting a top 6 finish and noone would call them a shit side. A good side who aren't doing as well as they should... yeah maybe.

Barnsley played v well, but still couldn't score as we soaked up the pressure. Whatever we may feel about one of the cards, we forced those fouls, they didn't magic up out of nowhere.

I just think there are so many logical and valid reasons to not go overboard at this start that it just seems ridiculous to try to pin it on poor opposition.

How many people were saying Cardiff would be the real test? Now they're shite and Watford is the real test? If we manage to win that then what, Boro?

Come on, these teams are at the very least representative of the championship. Ludicrous to twist it otherwise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2020 11:42

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

Consistent for... 3 games? We've been consistently good for... 3 games. Ok, they had an awful end of last season, granted, but the fact is they are expecting a top 6 finish and noone would call them a shit side. A good side who aren't doing as well as they should... yeah maybe.

Barnsley played v well, but still couldn't score as we soaked up the pressure. Whatever we may feel about one of the cards, we forced those fouls, they didn't magic up out of nowhere.

I just think there are so many logical and valid reasons to not go overboard at this start that it just seems ridiculous to try to pin it on poor opposition.

How many people were saying Cardiff would be the real test? Now they're shite and Watford is the real test? If we manage to win that then what, Boro?

Come on, these teams are at the very least representative of the championship. Ludicrous to twist it otherwise.

Sorry mate, you can't talk about expectations as if they mean anything. Derby were awful. Whether some dodgy sports journalists picked them for top 6 is irrelevant

I said Cardiff would be a test.
They're also the ones I haven't described as an easy game.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Sep 2020 11:44

From Despair To Where?
Millsy

Last season is irrelevant. i'm considering them sub par because they are not very good. Derby are a shambles, Barnsley cant score and Cardiff are a functional, one dimentional team in the process of sellling their most creative player to Sheffield Wednesday for £500,000. They have 4 points out of 9 games, scoring 4 and conceding 15 between the 3 of them.

Watford will be a big step up in quality from those 3, particularly because they are very solid defensively and will be a much better gauge of where we are.

Agreed Watford will be a step up because they're sitting 5th. Of course current form matters most.

But how on earth can last season be irrelevant? it's not perfect of course but it's the best indication we could possibly have. Surely this season is even more irrelevant because we're only 3 games in.... and if it's NOT irrelevant then hey presto - we know where we are! Circular argument to say they're crap when one of their defeats was against us. Expectation is very relevant, perhaps moreso than last season's finish, and both Cardiff and Derby were expecting to be up there.

Of course, more games generally will tell us where we are, that's obvious and obviously I'm looking forward to playing Watford for that reason but it doesn't mean I'm going to poo-poo those first three games. I maintain they are AT LEAST representative of the championship. And it's the championship we are up against to get promoted. We won't be playing 46 games against Watford, or whoever the best team is.

As I say though I do agree that we shouldn't get carried away but it's absolutely zero to do with the quality of the opposition, because they were representative enough, but just more because there are too many other factors at play and too few games played thus far to push luck out of the equation. Watford will help (especially without Joao to see how we cope there) but even that won't seal the dealas there will be some who will find a reason to poo-poo that game too in the same way you are poopooing Cardiff, the one game most of us felt would be the "real test" at the time.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Sep 2020 11:47

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal Derby have been consistently awful for three games. And most importantly actually were dire against us. We won't find a much easier game than that.

Sorry mate, you can't talk about expectations as if they mean anything. Derby were awful. Whether some dodgy sports journalists picked them for top 6 is irrelevant

I said Cardiff would be a test.
They're also the ones I haven't described as an easy game.

Yes I noticed, fair.

173 posts