If you didn't support Reading, who would you have supported and why?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: If you didn't support Reading, who would you have supported and why?

by Franchise FC » 29 Sep 2020 15:58

SCIAG
Franchise FC
Millsy Oxf*rd :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The only other place I've lived.

I AM NOT SUPPORTING THE TEAM FROM THE ONLY OTHER PLACE I'VE LIVED !!!!!!!!!!!

Milton Keynes?

I didn't move here to support them - I moved here DESPITE them.

They should only have existed by going through the .... etc., etc.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Sep 2020 16:25

There's nobody for me really. I don't come from a sport loving family and certainly no teams pushed on me by parents, grandparents etc. My Dad took me to see my local team because he observed the interest I was developing at school.

Had he not done this I'd have almost certainly ended up going down the Man Utd/Liverpool route like many of my classmates, so I guess I should be thankful that hasn't happened.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 29 Sep 2020 17:33

Arsenal - loved watching Bergkamp, Vieira, Henry etc and the Invincibles on MOTD.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2020 20:17

Franchise FC
SCIAG
Franchise FC
I AM NOT SUPPORTING THE TEAM FROM THE ONLY OTHER PLACE I'VE LIVED !!!!!!!!!!!

Milton Keynes?

I didn't move here to support them - I moved here DESPITE them.

They should only have existed by going through the .... etc., etc.

Hehe ok. Am I missing something?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Sep 2020 20:35

Franconian Royal Arsenal - loved watching Bergkamp, Vieira, Henry etc and the Invincibles on MOTD.

Best team ever I have ever seen play football ever on any thing ever.

My dad and grandad were lucky enough to see the great Netherlands team of the 1970 which they said kicked butt.

elrey

by elrey » 30 Sep 2020 08:33

Augsburg (top of the Bundesliga) because I lived there and watched them when I was there.
Vigo. Saw them once when I lived there, quite a passionate fan base, the city is basically the Citroen car factory.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Sep 2020 13:40

Ascotexgunner
NewCorkSeth Arsenal. All my family support them. Life would have been so much worse.

I used to get dragged to see them as a child in the 70s because of family. Post 1973 to 86 they really were rubbish...
Their best players like George and Kennedy left, they were in danger of going dow.
Still went to see them when Reading weren't at home or couldn't go away, up until 2010 when family couldn't go anymore. Loved the early Wenger years but I just couldn't support them. Never felt right.

HB BTW HAGO

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Oct 2020 09:29

No idea, possibly wouldn't have got into football.

I used to enjoy watching West Ham on the TV in the Harry Redknapp days, so maybe West Ham?
I was born in Southend so maybe Southend?
Reading Town?
Work near Maidenhead Utd's ground so maybe them?

I guess it would have been whatever team gave away free tickets to kids, like Reading did when I was a kid.... although I can't imagine my parents at the time taking me to a game any distance away and that includes most of Berkshire!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Oct 2020 09:45

In answer to the thread title, if Reading dropped out, id just "enjoy football" as an observer in the higher leagues and follow Basingstoke Town. I might even do a "Four of Clubs".

Back in the late 70's early 80's i was drawn to Nottingham Forest. My interest in Reading FC solely came from the fact we had the Reading Evening Post delivered (lived in Tadley) and paid interest to the sport pages.

TadleyURZ

by TadleyURZ » 05 Oct 2020 09:54

I'll be honest, when my dad used to drag me to Elm Park as a 5 year old I hated it, Division three, small crowds and not how I wanted to spend a Saturday afternoon, In fact i spent more time running around the terrace than watching the football. At the time Aston Villa had just won the European Cup and so they were the team I wanted to follow, for a few years it was Villa first and Reading second but somehow Reading got under my skin and that was that.. Villa are still the result i look for after ours and I still think Villa Park is a fantastic stadium. For anyone old enough to remember terraces the Holte end was a thing of beauty!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Oct 2020 10:15

Carlisle

My first wife was from Carlisle and I got to love their rags to riches story
and for at least a decade after me and the Mrs split I looked for their result.

But home games would be an issue, so I couldn't call myself a fan any more.

And it was a lonnnnnnnng time ago

Leeds United

(OMA Alert)

When I was in the Royal Air Force based near Beverley, Yorks, my RAF bestie and I
went to every Leeds United game. Oh, those days, just turn up, queue, pay cash
at the turnstiles. I LOVED watching First Division football and it was The Revie Era.

I remember Leeds beating Chelsea 7-0, seven different scorers as far as I recall. I remember
a game (West Brom?) where Leeds had cruised into a 4-0 lead and were playing keep-ball. The
crowd were p!ssed and started to get really antsy. Billy Bremner, in the centre circle, stopped, put
his foot on the ball, held up his hand showing "five". Thirty seconds later they scored! Amazing!

Not sure how I drifted away from Leeds. Think it was all the financial shenanigans etc.

Newport County

I was born there, but lived a long way away, always went to games when home, loved
my little club. We got a promotion, got to the quarter finals of The European Cup Winners Cup
drew 2-2 away to the eventual finalists, lost 0-1 at home in a game we dominated.

Good Times, Aldridge, Tynan.

Then we went bust, rebirthed in the 99th level of the tier. OK, not that bad... but got ourselves up
the leagues, lots of promotions and cups, then got to Wembley in the FA Trophy and the year after
that Wembley again to win the PO and get back into the league.

When I moved to Newbury I still travelled to South Wales (free fuel) but when that disappeared
I couldn't justify the time away and expense (and my son supported Arsenal!!)

Arsenal

My second wife was an Arsenal fan.
I always liked Arsenal, and got to see games, taking my son. I enjoyed games
but seeing the look on my son's face when we won was priceless. First three games
he saw Arsenal won 4-0 and he thought that was the norm. He has only seen Arsenal
lose live, once, 2-0 at WBA. I'd call myself an Arsenal fan.

Reading

Started taking an interest in Reading around 2004/5 but was still going
to Newport. Interest shot up when they went up (mea culpa, the chance
to see Premiership Teams live, at the time) and saw the first game v Boro?
when we went 0-2 down and it looked like it would be a bad season

But we pulled back and then won it and my son was hooked? I fell for the
special club, the Reading Way, stuff, big time.

I consider myself now, totally a Reading fan. I want to beat Arsenal, Leeds,
Carlisle, and (just-about) Newport County, but not 5-0 if that's all right with you.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Oct 2020 10:38

Forbury Lion No idea, possibly wouldn't have got into football.

I used to enjoy watching West Ham on the TV in the Harry Redknapp days, so maybe West Ham?
I was born in Southend so maybe Southend?
Reading Town?
Work near Maidenhead Utd's ground so maybe them?

I guess it would have been whatever team gave away free tickets to kids, like Reading did when I was a kid.... although I can't imagine my parents at the time taking me to a game any distance away and that includes most of Berkshire!

When I played for Wokingham Town in the mid 90s we got free/heavily discounted tickets to watch Wimbledon. Thank god that didn’t sway me into supporting them :mrgreen:

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 05 Oct 2020 13:19

Due to family connections, I’d probably go with Birmingham City, as relatives, past and present support them, and to honour a football mad Auntie who I still have a picture of in the Wembley crowd from the 1956 FA Cup final. Remembered as the Bert Trautmann final.

My Aunt was a proper football fan, and I remember as a kid her talking nonstop about the players and tales from her day, and in particular her hero, Local Sparkhill lad, Gil Merrick.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 05 Oct 2020 19:27

Man Utd - the first club I took an interest in, although not sure would have gone to a game.
Also Maidenhead as when I got into football in 1995 started looking out for their results in the Advertiser, they were my local team. Definitely could imagine going to a game had I not moved away that year as the first club game I ever went to a couple of years later was the local team. I've thought about going to a Maidenhead game for the last few years as well.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Oct 2020 22:07

I've always liked watching live sport, but grew up watching Gaelic football, and a bit of hurling. We lived out of the range of the British channels, so saw very little soccer on TV, other than Ireland internationals and the occasional FA Cup game. But when I was maybe 9, Leyton Orient played Arsenal in an FA Cup game (semi-final I think) that was televised, that myself and my Dad watched. He explained Arsenal were definitely going to win, so the two of us cheered on Orient. Obviously. They lost (three-nil?), and I supported them, in the sense of looking out for their results, for ages afterwards. But I'd never been to a game there, so I don't think you could call me a fan.

I lived in Reading for a couple of years after university, and in a "what will we do tonight" way, rocked up at Elm Park for a Tuesday night cheap cup game once with a couple of colleagues from London, when they were in Reading for a few weeks work. I have absolutely no recollection of what happened in the game, or who was playing or anything. But we did enjoy it - I think we drank a lot before and after, which may have helped.

Moved back to Ireland for a number of years, and more or less forgot about soccer, got more into watching Munster and Ireland play rugby. But then my other half got moved for work to Slough, I refused to live in Slough, so we ended up in Reading again. And I started, when the kids were older, taking them to football matches, because their friends from school went, and they could get cheap tickets and so on. And by this time it was the mid 2000s, and of course Reading got very successful (for a while anyway!)

But if I hadn't been snobby about living in Slough, it would probably have been Slough Town instead.

And of course, there's Celtic. I obviously support them in a totally ridiculous tribal way, without ever having been. But that's not really about football at all.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Oct 2020 09:23

Could have been a Sheffield team from University time, but more likely Leiceter City, as I lived in or near Leicester for ten years or so

That wouldn't have been too bad!

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 07 Oct 2020 19:10

Bristol City. Lived here for 30 years and my second team. Great ground too, but tickets horribly expensive and the opposite side of the city.

Torbay Royal

by Torbay Royal » 10 Oct 2020 13:42

Torquay United as I was born down here.

Fell in love with the Royals after being taken to Elm Park by my uncle but I've lived most of my life in South Devon so this would be the naural choice. I've seen United win at Wembley more times than Reading :-(

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 11 Oct 2020 12:09

Bristol Paul Bristol City. Lived here for 30 years and my second team. Great ground too, but tickets horribly expensive and the opposite side of the city.

Just checked their prices out.Why on earth do their fans put up with that rip off ?I think our prices are very fair and hardly ever seem to move that much.Hopefully their concourse catering is better than ours;to justify those prices ?Although outside the ground our catering is very good.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 11 Oct 2020 14:35

Westwood52
Bristol Paul Bristol City. Lived here for 30 years and my second team. Great ground too, but tickets horribly expensive and the opposite side of the city.

Just checked their prices out.Why on earth do their fans put up with that rip off ?I think our prices are very fair and hardly ever seem to move that much.Hopefully their concourse catering is better than ours;to justify those prices ?Although outside the ground our catering is very good.

Tbf they are top of the league. Premium prices