Injury watch 2020/21

435 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Injury watch 2020/21

by RoyalBlue » 28 Dec 2020 13:49

CNN have just reported that muscle injuries in the Premier League are up 23% from last season! It's being attributed to the fixture list and insufficient time for players to recover properly between games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Dec 2020 14:49

Makes sense

Guess with Swift it isn’t so much fitness now but as Stranded suggested match conditioning mentally and speed of thought

That’ll certainly take a few games. Players like Joao and Richards should be fine to come straight back in

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Dec 2020 15:22

Hound Makes sense

Guess with Swift it isn’t so much fitness now but as Stranded suggested match conditioning mentally and speed of thought

That’ll certainly take a few games. Players like Joao and Richards should be fine to come straight back in

Much as we really need Joao back, I hope the club have learned their lesson from what happened last time they brought him back from injury as soon as they felt they could. Better, IMO, to err on the side of caution and give him another week or so, particularly during this cold snap.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Dec 2020 15:24

RoyalBlue
Hound Makes sense

Much as we really need Joao back, I hope the club have learned their lesson from what happened last time they brought him back from injury as soon as they felt they could. Better, IMO, to err on the side of caution and give him another week or so, particularly during this cold snap.

I don’t think that was a thing was it? He came back after lockdown after months and months out - it definitely wasnt being brought back too soon.

Then Bowen didn’t play him last year when he could have to ensure he was fit for this season

Or am I forgetting one from last year?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2021 08:37

Had so many injuries and players coming back, totally forgot about Gibson

Could have a seriously strong squad for the end of Jan if JLow is right with the below

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... o-19293376

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2021 12:53

Nah, it's paper thin. :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2021 13:51

Basically I see after this FA cup game as the second half of the season. Going into that in the PO positions and lining up something like

Rafael
Yiadom Moore Morrison Richards
Rino Laurent
Meite Swift Olise
Joao

Southwood, Puscas, McIntyre/Holmes, Esteves, Gibson, Baldock, Semedo, Aluko, Ejaria

you'd have to fancy us to stay top 6. Got Araruna, any news signings plus the youth lads to add to that.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jan 2021 15:39

Hound Had so many injuries and players coming back, totally forgot about Gibson

Could have a seriously strong squad for the end of Jan if JLow is right with the below

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... o-19293376

That is assuming nobody else gets injured during January or the injured have further setbacks (knowing our record.....)
I read the article because I thought there had to be something about new signings with your "seriously strong squad" posting but unfortunately there was nothing.

IMHO even with those returning I still feel that the squad needs boosting to keep in touch of the play-off places for the rest of the season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2021 15:52

who would you add Vic (other than a pacey winger)?

I don't see a lot of gaps tbh. Obvs cover for any more injures or ones that dont heal up by end of jan

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Jan 2021 15:59

Hound who would you add Vic (other than a pacey winger)?

I don't see a lot of gaps tbh. Obvs cover for any more injures or ones that dont heal up by end of jan

We need a second Joao. Because we're more likely* to get one of those than we are to change our formation to suit our other forwards when Joao is resting/injured.

* not at all likely, but I live in hope.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2021 16:00

muirinho

We need a second Joao. Because we're more likely* to get one of those than we are to change our formation to suit our other forwards when Joao is resting/injured.

* not at all likely, but I live in hope.

Yep, swap out Baldock for a Joao-lite would be good

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jan 2021 16:14

Assuming nobody leaves it surely has to be Joao mark 2 and yes a pacey winger to provide a different option when our normal strategy isn't working.
Without these additions I can't see us doing any better than scraping into the play-offs -maybe that is what others want but the last thing I want is to get promoted with a side that has no chance of survival in the Premier League and this side as it stands would IMHO have no chance (please save this posting and throw it back at me-I would be delighted :D ).

The guideline I go by is how well the three relegated clubs are doing in The Championship with much weakened squads when their stronger sides were not good enough to stay up.

This is a discussion for another day, preferably come Feb 1st when we will know who is available from the walking wounded and who we have signed, probably on loan and taking into account where we then are in the table..

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 07 Jan 2021 15:46

Paunovic confirmed that Thierry Nevers and Femi Azeez are both recovering from injuries at the moment. Tetek is back from injury and in contention to feature on Saturday.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2021 16:32

morganb Paunovic confirmed that Thierry Nevers and Femi Azeez are both recovering from injuries at the moment. Tetek is back from injury and in contention to feature on Saturday.

Will be interesting to see how Tetek gets on. I read somewhere that PL clubs are interested. Hopefully he gets game time this weekend.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Jan 2021 17:57

Pauno confirmed in the press conference today that Gibson is back next week, with Arauna, Meite and Moore by the end of Jan so looking good. Just Yiadom longer term so looking good.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2021 18:24

Mid Sussex Royal Pauno confirmed in the press conference today that Gibson is back next week, with Arauna, Meite and Moore by the end of Jan so looking good. Just Yiadom longer term so looking good.

Even Yids shouldn’t be too long after that.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jan 2021 13:26

Zip
Mid Sussex Royal Pauno confirmed in the press conference today that Gibson is back next week, with Arauna, Meite and Moore by the end of Jan so looking good. Just Yiadom longer term so looking good.

Even Yids shouldn’t be too long after that.

Meite is expected back for Bournemouth (29th) though probably only on bench.
Be good if Moore is also fit by then.
Though I’d welcome his return, I’m not overly concerned by Yiadom missing as he’s been pretty much continually injured for over a year and the options at right back haven’t done too shabbily plus Araruna’s return will give even more cover there.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jan 2021 13:33

Latest according to JLow

ARARUNA, Felipe - knee injury, currently expected back for the trip to Bristol on 16 Feb
    GIBSON, Lewis - quad injury, currently expected back for the trip to Preston on 23 Jan
    MEITE, Yakou - multiple injuries, currently expected back for the visit of Bournemouth on 29 Jan
    MOORE, Liam - foot injury, currently expected back for the visit of Bournemouth on 29 Jan
    YIADOM, Andy - knee injury, currently expected back for the trip to Stoke on 6 Feb

Nelson Abbey, Femi Azeez and Thierry Nevers are also confirmed as being on the way back from injury

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Jan 2021 13:45

Sutekh Latest according to JLow

ARARUNA, Felipe - knee injury, currently expected back for the trip to Bristol on 16 Feb
    GIBSON, Lewis - quad injury, currently expected back for the trip to Preston on 23 Jan
    MEITE, Yakou - multiple injuries, currently expected back for the visit of Bournemouth on 29 Jan
    MOORE, Liam - foot injury, currently expected back for the visit of Bournemouth on 29 Jan
    YIADOM, Andy - knee injury, currently expected back for the trip to Stoke on 6 Feb

Nelson Abbey, Femi Azeez and Thierry Nevers are also confirmed as being on the way back from injury

That’s all good. We could have a very strong squad for Bournemouth.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Jan 2021 13:56

Zip
Sutekh Latest according to JLow

That’s all good. We could have a very strong squad for Bournemouth.

Yep, Meite and Moore back for Bournemouth would be very nice to have, with Gibson probably on the bench as well.

435 posts