Your first game watching Reading FC

elrey

Re: Your first game watching Reading FC

by elrey » 13 Oct 2020 00:00

Reading v. Preston 1990. 3-3, first home game of the season. I don't remember much about it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Oct 2020 00:16

Hmm my first ever game would have been Man Utd 1-1 Barnsley in the FA Cup 1997/98 season, I supported United as a kid. My first Reading match was Reading 0-0 Brighton in 2002, was pretty dull and Brighton had a late goal disallowed.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 13 Oct 2020 06:45

AthleticoSpizz Not 100% sure when and who, but it was back in the days of the early 1970s power cuts and weird kick-offtimes.
Probably Aldershot, Bradford, Exeter or someone..the team comprised the likes of Henderson, Carnaby, Death, Freeman, Alleyne, Habbin etc.
Some great games, sometimes played out on a virtually grassless pitch.

As above although I think it was against Barrow or Workington.
Apart from above, Cumming, Hetzke and Wagstaff where among the players I recall from that time.

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 13 Oct 2020 09:44

Mid 90s and Elm Park. I was 11 and we had Wolves in the Coca Cola Cup in a midweek game under the flood lights! Magic!!

Walked into the south bank just before kick off and saw my mate from school sitting on the rafters in the roof to watch the game.

Mark McGhee was Wolves boss and got a hard time, Robbie Keane turned out for them as a youngster and we won 4-2! Great first game!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 13 Oct 2020 10:12

First game would have been Arsenal v Southampton at Highbury with the likes of Terry Paine, Peter Storey, George Armstrong playing. Think Arsenal won 3-0.

First game at Elm Park against Doncaster around 1971/2. Think we won 2-0 or lost 0-2, can't remember which.

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 13 Oct 2020 10:19

1959 away at Colchester, lost 4-2 . No idea why my dad took me on a coach there, he was never a fan but ignited a lifelong passion for me

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 13 Oct 2020 10:40

I don't remember (fully) my first game, but I remember the end of Bullivant's last game, when there was a pitch invasion and people were calling for him to be sacked. What year was this? I also remember (partially) a Boxing Day Game against West Brom (or maybe it was the Wolves) at Elm Park. It was freezing, which year could this have been?
I also remember the final game at Elm Park because it was the only time we ever stood on the South Bank. The pitch felt like it was a million miles away and I was sat on a handrail. Who was it against? What was the score?
I remember the second home game at the Mad Stad, because it was the first time I'd been inside the stadium. Can anyone tell me who it was and what the score was? Thanks

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Oct 2020 11:19

Norfolk Royal First game would have been Arsenal v Southampton at Highbury with the likes of Terry Paine, Peter Storey, George Armstrong playing. Think Arsenal won 3-0.

First game at Elm Park against Doncaster around 1971/2. Think we won 2-0 or lost 0-2, can't remember which.

I loved playing Sunday league level football but didn’t play as a kid so had terrible first, second and third touch. But I was very quick.

Played some game in the RAF and can’t remember why but I was given a shirt once worn by Terry Paine (sadly lost during divorce one)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Oct 2020 11:25

Interesting how so many talk about their first live match whether RDG or not

My first was Newport County and my Dad took me. Alf Sherwood was playing. I was tiny, saw almost nothing and was stupidly bored.

NCAFC runs in my blood but I simply can’t afford to travel there. Saw them in the quarter final of The European Cup Winners Cup where they drew 2-2 away then lost 0-1 at home.

Their European record is amazing! Undefeated away (0-0, 0-0, 2-2) and at home 6-0, 4-0, 0-1

W2 D3 L1 12-3

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 13 Oct 2020 12:37

Franconian Royal I don't remember (fully) my first game, but I remember the end of Bullivant's last game, when there was a pitch invasion and people were calling for him to be sacked. What year was this? I also remember (partially) a Boxing Day Game against West Brom (or maybe it was the Wolves) at Elm Park. It was freezing, which year could this have been?
I also remember the final game at Elm Park because it was the only time we ever stood on the South Bank. The pitch felt like it was a million miles away and I was sat on a handrail. Who was it against? What was the score?
I remember the second home game at the Mad Stad, because it was the first time I'd been inside the stadium. Can anyone tell me who it was and what the score was? Thanks

Final game at Elm Park was against Norwich. We lost 0-1 I think, Craig Bellamy scoring for Nodge.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 13 Oct 2020 13:07

1st January 1966, 3-0 win v Walsall at EP. Do not remember the game, but remember after the game my mum, dad and uncles queueing at the the back of the South Bank for tickets for the 3rd round cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday. Even at just eight years old, really fu cked off that they did not get me a ticket.

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 13 Oct 2020 13:14

First game was England v Scotland at Wembley, 1969. Wasn't really interested in football as a young kid, but my Dad was offered tickets by a friend whose company did maintaince work at the stadium.

First Reading game was the FA Cup tie against Newcastle in 1990. Drew 3-3 in an exciting game. Newcastle twice gifted us goals with poor back-passes. Gilkes scored the third equaliser in added time.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Oct 2020 14:59

1 - 1 draw with Grimsby at Elm Park in 1997 or so. Morley penalty for us.

under the tin

by under the tin » 13 Oct 2020 15:09

1971/2 season. Villa at EP. I think we lost 4 -1.
Seem to remember their No. 9 was a Scotland international Andy Lockhead?, who I think scored a hat trick.
Hooked straight away, came back the following Wednesday night for Fulham (Les Barrett et al).

I must have been a Jonas. We were relegated (at Villa Park) and for the first time in the club's history, & went
down do Division 4

total_biscuit

by total_biscuit » 13 Oct 2020 16:10

06/12/1975 : Division 4 : Reading vs Stockport County : 5-0 WIN

Esteban

by Esteban » 13 Oct 2020 16:12

My first live game was the Simod Cup final. Had been a Reading fan for a few years (since the 85/86 season), but my Dad isn't into football, so he never took me until we reached a cup final.

Can't remember my first game at EP, I was probably around 14 at the time, so would have been either the 93/94 or 94/95 seasons. Birmingham maybe? Not sure.

I actually think I may have seen us play away at Charlton before the first at time I saw us play at home.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 13 Oct 2020 16:57

Norfolk Royal
Franconian Royal I don't remember (fully) my first game, but I remember the end of Bullivant's last game, when there was a pitch invasion and people were calling for him to be sacked. What year was this? I also remember (partially) a Boxing Day Game against West Brom (or maybe it was the Wolves) at Elm Park. It was freezing, which year could this have been?

Final game at Elm Park was against Norwich. We lost 0-1 I think, Craig Bellamy scoring for Nodge.

Did anybody go to the exhibition game,which was the final final game at Elm Park.Pretty sure Pardew played.I think the entrance fee was very cheap and it was a case of sit where you like.One of the few times I had a seat ticket at Elm Park.Wasnt well attended.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Oct 2020 17:10

Thought that was ‘Fred’ Neates testemonial.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Oct 2020 17:12

Reading v Gillingham, 1987ish at Elm Park. We won, Trevor Senior an Dean Horrix scoring.
I remember very little about the game, but I was fortunate enough to chat to Trevor Senior a few years back and he remembered it in detail, In fact he probably remembers all his Reading appearances in detail and all his goals.
And no, he wasn't stringing me along making it all up just to get a free drink :lol:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 Oct 2020 17:20

Ark Royal 1st January 1966, 3-0 win v Walsall at EP. Do not remember the game, but remember after the game my mum, dad and uncles queueing at the the back of the South Bank for tickets for the 3rd round cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday. Even at just eight years old, really fu cked off that they did not get me a ticket.

Don't want to rub it in Ark but that Wednesday game was one of the best ever Reading Cup ties when we really played above ourselves but lost to a late Jim McCalliog goal to go out, 3-2.
The crowd that day was 22,488.

My first ever was March 1954 v Norwich.
My brother took me and I stood peering over the wall at the Town End and didn't get why it was called a Stand nearby when everybody was sat down.
The result was 4-4 and I thought every game would be like that-it didn't take long to realise that wasn't to be the case.