BTFG Rrro-therrr-hhaaam

106 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BTFG Rrro-therrr-hhaaam

by Millsy » 24 Oct 2020 17:15

We may be getting to the point where we can just copy and paste reports after every game.

First half they dominated(or we let them dominate) us yet oddly enough we always looked like we were going to tire the opposition, soak it up with our top class defence, nick a goal and fully deserved the win.

Rafa – 8. Not sure why he wasn’t kicking but blimey another great save. Backbone of our success
Esteves – 7 I thought he is a bit of a one trick pony – take the ball inside and run, but to be fair defensively good and bloody hell that shot from 20miles out unlucky not to score and lead to our second
Morro 8 – absolute rock in defence – another clean sheet
Moore 8 – see above
Richards – 8.5 amazing today. I’ve knocked him before but apart from being outdone but their decent right winger once first half he was just mega solid
Laurent – 7 very good
RIno – 7 very good
Ejaria – 7 wasted on the left, but had three men on him (as we’ve come to expect by now) and amazing assist for the goal
Semedo – 5 the only downer. I counted 4 really shit passes. Would’ve given him a 4 but he also did a couple of decent interventions. I can’t see him starting again unless there’s an injury or we just need to rest players. I’d have loved to have seen Aluko play instead.
Meite – 9 I almost wished he hadn’t scored because he was just very good everywhere and would still get 8+ from me just for his general performance. But boy, can this guy can finish. The second overhead kick I’ve seen Reading ever score and the first one was also Meite.
Puscas – 6 It would be a 5 because I don’t remember him doing anything and he has big shoes to fill when Joao isn’t around, but to be fair he did do fairly well holding the ball up a couple of occasions.

MacIntyre – 6 did ok. Seems a really useful sub always does this role well.
Joao – 8 deserved to take the penalty, great effort to win it, great strength and speed.
Olise – 8 this guy is class. How long will we hold onto him?

Pauno – 9 for resting Olise and Joao as much as possible if nothing else, but also the ballsy decision to drop Holmes and put Esteves in.

This is all like a weird dream.

Meite's 1st - looked about 72 parsecs offside, but who knows.

Make no mistake – we are just a very very good side. Let’s hope the confidence remains
Last edited by Millsy on 24 Oct 2020 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BTFG Rrro-therrr-hhaaam

by Royal Ginger » 24 Oct 2020 17:23

Very good from Meite the whole game but Moore is man of the match by a fair way for me. Imperious throughout with the clearance after Rafael was beaten as the cherry on top.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Oct 2020 17:33

In the end we could have scored five or six. Bizarre. Said on the game thread have we ever had two teenagers strike the crossbar and what efforts they were.

Rafael. 7 He really is consistently good.
Richards 6 Had one or two awkward moments but looks much stronger these days
Morrison 8 Another imposing performance at the back
Moore 7 Very solid and cleared one off the line
Esteves 7 What a strike. Physically strong.
Laurent 6 OK but some poor passes
Rinomhota 6 Not at his best today but covered plenty of ground
Semedo 5 Poor passing and looked shattered in the second half
Ejaria 7 Not involved as much but oozes class. Fabulous assist
Meite 8 MoTM much better today. Some really good headers and the second goal was a peach
Puscas 6 Worked hard and laid the ball off well.

Olise 8 Outrageous cameo. Great effort on goal and some incredible skill
Joao 7 Did well to win the pen and expertly put it away
McIntyre 7 All action, terrific commitment.
Last edited by Zip on 24 Oct 2020 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 24 Oct 2020 17:35

Paunovic seemed to think the performance wasn’t as good as it should’ve been, good to see we have a manager that doesn’t hide himself from the facts. Definitely wasn’t a 3-0 game, but the players seem to be growing in confidence going off how strongly we finished.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Oct 2020 17:36

Another game we have started like bollocks and for me that first half even beats Wycombe for shitness, which is some achievement.

The goal absolutely helped us and second half we were much better thanks to Rotherham pushing further up and leaving more space at the back. I was critical of Esteves defensively but he did grow into the role. Ejaria great work for the goal but otherwise anonymous. Another win and another clean sheet but we will have to be much improved against Blackburn, which I think we will.

If only Esteves’ and Olise’s efforts didn’t hit the bar would have been three wonder-goals. Meite’s probably goal of the season for the championship.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 24 Oct 2020 17:43

Surprised at these reports. Yes we have a great defence, yes we won, yes we are top of the league after an unbelievable start. However, today’s performance was very poor, so how people can award 7’s and 8’s across the team is beyond me. Happy to keep winning and playing crap, but not sure the run will keep going if we don’t improve from the last two performances and like the fact the manager isn’t falling into that trap from his comments.

Just saying..

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 24 Oct 2020 17:49

Meites 1st wasn't anywhere near offside btw. Also LOL @ Rotherhams prematch thread - they actually thought they had a chance.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Oct 2020 17:59

Bristol Paul Surprised at these reports. Yes we have a great defence, yes we won, yes we are top of the league after an unbelievable start. However, today’s performance was very poor, so how people can award 7’s and 8’s across the team is beyond me. Happy to keep winning and playing crap, but not sure the run will keep going if we don’t improve from the last two performances and like the fact the manager isn’t falling into that trap from his comments.

Just saying..

Agree we looked ordinary/poor but I'm beginning to
think we deliberately play "Rope a Dope"

We seem to prove we can soak up pressure and have hardly
conceded any shots close in (hence one scrappy goal conceded.

Almost every game has looked the same, poor for 20-30 mins at least
but slowly working into the game and having a much better second half.

It's WORKING (so far)

(I only worry that a good side will score 2-3 before we start playing)

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 24 Oct 2020 18:01

Another great three points, anybody else pinching themselves as much as me ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Oct 2020 18:06

Just watching the highlights

Didn’t realise how good Ejaria’s assist was. Great skill and cross

Also just how well Joao did for the pen. He is bloody quick when he wants to be, and played it very cleverly

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Oct 2020 18:09

Hound Just watching the highlights

Didn’t realise how good Ejaria’s assist was. Great skill and cross

Also just how well Joao did for the pen. He is bloody quick when he wants to be, and played it very cleverly

Ovie also won the ball back to start the move off. His skill in creating space to chip the ball across was delightful.

JR

by JR » 24 Oct 2020 18:23

Ruthless.

Soak up pressure, defend with determination and the show individual moments of brilliance - Esteves, Ejaria, Olise, Meite.

I’ve just read Pauno’s post match press conference and all his responses are excellent. He is creating a team, is loving it and knows we weren’t great today.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Oct 2020 18:25

JR Ruthless.

Soak up pressure, defend with determination and the show individual moments of brilliance - Esteves, Ejaria, Olise, Meite.

I’ve just read Pauno’s post match press conference and all his responses are excellent. He is creating a team, is loving it and knows we weren’t great today.

Yes I like the stuff he says. Makes sense and you can see the spirit he has helped create

Always been pretty good at praising the oppo and not being a dick as well. Obvs may change when we lose a few

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Oct 2020 18:25

Do appreciate Paunovic's after match candour. Very frank and honest assessment of the game. Respectful to the opposition.

Semodo needs match time to get both fitness and sharpness.

Understandable team selection. Rotating the players will help keep them fresh in this run of games.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 24 Oct 2020 18:25

Does noone remember our promotion season under Brian MCDemott?

Its all about confidence, momentum with a bit of skill and luck

Long may it continue

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 24 Oct 2020 19:14

Linden Jones' Tash Does noone remember our promotion season under Brian MCDemott?

Long may it continue

The one where we came straight back down as we won promotion on the back of massive confidence and keeping a run going rather than actually being all that good?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Oct 2020 19:15

Decent performance of the unexciting kind we're getting used to. Just very efficient. It seems clear our plan is to start out keeping it tight and rely on our quality to tell eventually. Working fine so far.

Cabral - 8 couple of quality saves though nothing that I think you wouldn't expect a good keeper to get most the time. But his focus is the real deal.
Esteves - 6 bit lightweight and inexperienced (18 shocker) looks pretty exciting going forward and a bit hit and miss defensively
Richards - 7 did ok, but not as strong as he started the season
Moore - 8 another goal line clearance and good defending
Morrison - 8 absolute quality as always
Rino - 8 started well, drifted out of it a bit but good.
Laurent - 7 pretty good recovery from a poor game recently
Semedo - 7 there's something there but he's quite hit and miss
Meite - 9 does the damage regularly
Ejaria - 7 great cross and decent game
Puscas - 6 worked hard but got little

Joao - 7 worked hard and took his pen
Olise - 7 lovely cameo
McIntyre - obligatory N/A see out the game sub.

Never really felt concerned or worried about the outcome. Rotherham made us work and had some promising attacks but didn't really have enough. And some very sloppy passing from them at times, passing it straight out plenty, which isn't really good enough for the Champ.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Oct 2020 19:22

Bristol Paul
Linden Jones' Tash Does noone remember our promotion season under Brian MCDemott?

Long may it continue

The one where we came straight back down as we won promotion on the back of massive confidence and keeping a run going rather than actually being all that good?

Yep. Difference is this time we have a young and improving squad and a lot of good midfielders, including both defensively able and flair players.

McDermott's side couldn't really keep the ball and was all about rushing the channels and capitalising on errors.

This side can keep the ball and is creating chances. It's a better base to build off IMO and hopefully we won't spunk our entire promotion budget on a shit slow Russian.

Same work ethic and ruthless efficiency, more skill and technique throughout the side.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 24 Oct 2020 19:37

Bristol Paul

Long may it continue

Younger squad, but more importantly the tv money pie is far bigger now. Going up then straight back down is worth £200m these days.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 24 Oct 2020 19:50

Gunny Fishcake Another great three points, anybody else pinching themselves as much as me ?

I'm pinchy mcpinch face

106 posts