BGTF Coventry

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BGTF Coventry

by leon » 02 Nov 2020 00:10

Snowflake Royal
leon
Jagermesiter1871
All completely spot on. Baldock is indeed injured expected back mid November.

3rd goal Olise jogged to close down the shot. Really not good enough.

I think you need an eye test leon. Olise wasn't on the pitch for the third goal. And whilst Semedo didn't close down McCallum well, there's no way that shot goes in without a keeping error.

If you mean the second, again it was way out and if Olise ran much harder to get there he'd be easy to send the wrong way and go past... plus the rebound was only scored because Cabral didn't get it clear and the defence didn't react.

Yeah the second and no, as you well know closing down players prevents them from lining up a shot. If Olise had closed him down he’d have a far more difficult chance. He didn’t close him down.

Your argument suggests a strategy of never closing players down, which is err interesting.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2020 08:24

leon
Snowflake Royal
leon
3rd goal Olise jogged to close down the shot. Really not good enough.

I think you need an eye test leon. Olise wasn't on the pitch for the third goal. And whilst Semedo didn't close down McCallum well, there's no way that shot goes in without a keeping error.

If you mean the second, again it was way out and if Olise ran much harder to get there he'd be easy to send the wrong way and go past... plus the rebound was only scored because Cabral didn't get it clear and the defence didn't react.

Yeah the second and no, as you well know closing down players prevents them from lining up a shot. If Olise had closed him down he’d have a far more difficult chance. He didn’t close him down.

Your argument suggests a strategy of never closing players down, which is err interesting.

No it doesn't. It's a matter of distance and time. To cover the distance you've got to move at a certain pace and if that's above a particular threshold you're momentum and agility mean you're far easier to beat.

He could have done better (perhaps should have been nearer to start with), but in no way was he at fault for the goal. That's Cabral entirely.

Not that fault really matters. The whole team had an off day and it's one result. No need for the blame game or recriminations. Just write it off and move on.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Nov 2020 11:57

We scored two good goals against them.

Theirs were long range efforts we should really have closed down and Rafael should have done better.

Just need tightening up, no drama. I'm sure Pauno will drill that into them never to get complacent.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2020 12:05

Millsy We scored two good goals against them.

Theirs were long range efforts we should really have closed down and Rafael should have done better.

Just need tightening up, no drama. I'm sure Pauno will drill that into them never to get complacent.

that pretty much

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Nov 2020 12:23

looked really leggy after 3 games in 6 days and coventry did exactly what was required to make us les effective.
still could have won it.
all depends now on how we react

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2020 12:27

I'd be trying a McDermottesque,

"How did losing feel? Did you like it? You weren't at your best and you got punished. This is a hard league and you need to give it everything each game, there's no easy ones. Remember this. Use it. And go out there and make sure you win to put it right. You can beat anyone if you work hard and play well."

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Nov 2020 13:20

I haven't seen a Reading game in a long time so watched it without any preconceptions of some of the players (Olise, Semedo, Laurent, Esteves etc I'm not sure I've even seen play before)

Thought Reading looked a reasonably good side tbh with some surprisingly decent footballers. If anything we just lacked a little in the last third with only the one striker (who I thought looked really strong, can't believe people rated him a 5).

Esteves should go on the outside more often. Laurent looked perhaps the least impressive of the midfielders but these things ebb and flow don't they. Keeper obviously had a bad day.

Overall plenty of cause for optimism after the shitshow of recent times

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Nov 2020 14:49

Even though we lost, we actually created a number of good chances and on another day Joao would have had a hat-trick.

Could/should the whole team collectively have done better for all 3 goals? Without a doubt - but these things happen; as has been said, what is important is the reaction from the players.

A number of the players weren't as effective as in previous games, and a few sloppy passes and taking the wrong options occured - but it has to be rememered that a number of these players are very young and mistakes WILL be made; let's not write individuals off based on a single game!

A word on Coventry; I thought they played a clever game against us and they don't look the worst side we have played - or will play - this season. On balance, I thought that they deserved the 3 points.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 03 Nov 2020 11:58

Maguire I haven't seen a Reading game in a long time so watched it without any preconceptions of some of the players (Olise, Semedo, Laurent, Esteves etc I'm not sure I've even seen play before)

Thought Reading looked a reasonably good side tbh with some surprisingly decent footballers. If anything we just lacked a little in the last third with only the one striker (who I thought looked really strong, can't believe people rated him a 5).

Esteves should go on the outside more often. Laurent looked perhaps the least impressive of the midfielders but these things ebb and flow don't they. Keeper obviously had a bad day.

Yeh I wouldn't judge Laurent on that game - it was easily his worst and he's been one of the best in all other games.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Nov 2020 14:45

Jagermesiter1871
Maguire I haven't seen a Reading game in a long time so watched it without any preconceptions of some of the players (Olise, Semedo, Laurent, Esteves etc I'm not sure I've even seen play before)

Yeh I wouldn't judge Laurent on that game - it was easily his worst and he's been one of the best in all other games.

+1
Been a huge success

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2020 17:27

Big success and valuable player, but does at times look like he's come from a lower league. And a player who won't always shine but will do the hard and unglamorous work that makes the team function.