BFS - Bristol City (H)

209 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFS - Bristol City (H)

by Hendo » 28 Nov 2020 16:17

Zip
CountryRoyal
Old Man Andrews Disagree with either Bristol City foul being a red card. First one was two footed but not a lunge or the player being out of control. He knew he'd made an error going with 2 feet and slowed down imo.
Chris Martin's was just a bad foul from an awful, lazy striker. Both justified yellows for me.

The first could have gone either way but I think letter of the law he’s gone. VAR and he’s off imho.

Second one is a clear red if the ref sees. It’s cynical and he’s stamped on the back of us ankle with his studs. It was violent and no attempt at the ball.

Yep agreed.

Also agreed. On another day both could’ve been reds and they would’ve been totally justified. That Martin one could’ve easily given Moore a major injury. He makes zero attempt to play the ball, was totally petulant and the definition of endangering an opponent.

The first one I think could go either way, Laurent getting out of the way certainly helped their guys cause. Any contact at all and it’s a straight red.

Ref was pretty piss poor all round, tbh.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Nov 2020 16:21

Even the Brizzle fans on their forum are saying they should have been down to 9 players.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 28 Nov 2020 16:23

Old Man Andrews once again showing that he knows nothing about football. Definite red cards.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Nov 2020 16:28

marlowuk Not sure if someone has already mentioned this but the City Fans Forum preceded their discussions on the game with a 'summary' of their opponents. I have never seen such a comprehensive essay on our team by an opposition website before!! If you haven't done so yet, take a look at - https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/209770-reading-%E2%80%93-sat-28th%C2%A0november-1230-%E2%80%93-what-can-we-expect/

It's only failing is that it concludes that Bristol will beat us 2 - 0!!

Didn’t realise Ovie had moved to Liverpool from Arsenal

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Nov 2020 16:28

There’s some beef between Martin and Moore I think. Don’t think it was an accident he ‘did’ him like that

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Nov 2020 16:38

Hendo
Zip
CountryRoyal
The first could have gone either way but I think letter of the law he’s gone. VAR and he’s off imho.

Second one is a clear red if the ref sees. It’s cynical and he’s stamped on the back of us ankle with his studs. It was violent and no attempt at the ball.

Yep agreed.

Also agreed. On another day both could’ve been reds and they would’ve been totally justified. That Martin one could’ve easily given Moore a major injury. He makes zero attempt to play the ball, was totally petulant and the definition of endangering an opponent.

The first one I think could go either way, Laurent getting out of the way certainly helped their guys cause. Any contact at all and it’s a straight red.

Ref was pretty piss poor all round, tbh.

For me, Laurent did their CB a favour by not actually going for the ball. He made the right decision to protect himself and get out of the way. He could see the challenge coming from a mile off so tried to avoid the two footed lunge that was heading his way. If he’d gone for the ball and there had been more contact then no doubt it would have been a red.

On the game, Meite is such an important player for the balance of this team. As already mentioned he’s another goal scoring threat and keeps either the LB or LCB more occupied than any other Reading player in that position. It’s a classic case of attack being the best form of defence. Tom Holmes was very impressive today. Having an extra natural defender makes our back four look more solid and I think it enables Richards to attack more, as there’s more defensive cover than if Yiadom or Esteves is playing there.

Big shout out to Ovie today. His off the ball and defensive work is excellent at times, and often not at all appreciated by the fans who just want him to be an attacking animal

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Nov 2020 16:41

Hound There’s some beef between Martin and Moore I think. Don’t think it was an accident he ‘did’ him like that

Maybe Moore didn’t think Martin pulled his weight when he was here, when in reality the illness had a big impact on him? I didn’t picture Martin as a dirty player but that was pretty bad

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Nov 2020 16:45

As I said in the other thread - Bristol City set themselves up very well to keep us quiet in the first half, with a mid-block and minimal high pressing, but in the second half they started coming onto us a bit more and that created the space for the goal. After that they really had to go for it and they didn't have the chance to change their formation back, so we just kept creating chances.

Front four were all excellent in the second half. The midfield two also had a good game. MOTM for me was Meite who was our main threat, scored one and a really committed assist for the third. Big credit also to Olise for his assist, which frankly was sublime. If he adds consistency to his game then we'll lose him, it's as simple as that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Nov 2020 16:54

Cabral - 7 solid, not a huge amount to do
Holmes - 7 nearly scored and only beat once, no errors
Richards - 8 so composed these days
Morrison - 8 terrific, gave them nothing
Moore - 8 likewise
Laurent - 8 really stepping up to the level superbly
Rino - 8 quality, love his driving runs
Meite - 9 goal, assist and could have had another three
Ejaria - 7 good performance, fortunate with the goal, but did the job
Olise - 8 quality, hard work all game and delivered the goods again
Joao - 8 he really is unplayable, I'd like a little more pressing, but oxf*rd it, conserve your energy as much as you want with your goal record.

Semedo - 7 ran around a fair amount but didn't bring a huge amount otherwise

Aluko & Esteves N/A

Good performance. Think I enjoyed Blackburn a touch more, but this was up there.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Nov 2020 16:57

Holmes is being coached extremely well. Was disappointed when Osho left. In the belief that right full back could be a problematic area this season.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 28 Nov 2020 17:00

That was excellent,but due to missing two easy chances and incompetent officials we could have screwed it up,when we clearly deserved all the points.

IMHO

Rafa 7 Nothing to do for an hour,then so assured when Brizzie pressed.I think he has learnt his lesson.

Holmes 7 Got skinned a couple of times;but as we all know he is a CB filling in an unfamiliar position.On the plus side he is damn good in the air and a real powerhouse on the ground.Unlucky not to score.
Richards 8 Class act as usual,three sumptuous crosses into the box.Gone are the days when the opposition saw him as a weakness.He has come alive.
Moore 7 Started badly,but that block in the first half was first class.
Morrison 7 Defensively very good;but did miss that sitter.
Rino 7 Not at his best and silly fouls,but he really did overpower their midfield.
Laurent 7 Great again,just when you think he’s in trouble he finds a way out of it.
Olise 8 Superb all round performance,suprised he was taken off.
Ejaria 7 He really is an enigma.Lost the ball ,but would then totally bamboozle his markers.
Meite 7 Won us the game,but I dropped him a point for that awful miss.
Jao 10 The complete CF performance.Even under extreme pressure,just gets away from his markers.A real class act.Just knock the ball into him and he retains it.Hardly put a foot wrong.

Semedo Oh dear.He was awful.I don’t understand it,he looked knackered after a ten minute stint.

Brizzie Would you really leave Wells,Martin and Brunt on the bench ?

The ref had a very good 1st half;then ducked out of two red cards.Plus of course an offside for their goal.These decisions could have cost us,when we should have won on chances five or six nil.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 28 Nov 2020 17:12

Notts Royal
Hound There’s some beef between Martin and Moore I think. Don’t think it was an accident he ‘did’ him like that

Maybe Moore didn’t think Martin pulled his weight when he was here, when in reality the illness had a big impact on him? I didn’t picture Martin as a dirty player but that was pretty bad

Always seen Martin as a cynical player. Buys more fouls as CF than pretty much anyone else I’ve ever seen. Goes down like a sack of spuds, but likes to leave his foot in.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Nov 2020 17:15

fwiw ratings

7: Rafael, Holmes, Rino, Moore, Morro
8: laurent, Ejaria, Richards, Olise,
9: Joao, Meite

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 17:17

Hound fwiw ratings

Interesting format. I like it. Works nicely provided no individual summaries are given.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 17:18

Going back to the Chris Martin incident am I right in saying he can’t be cited because the ref game him a yellow?

Very lucky if so.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Nov 2020 17:20

Rafael. 6 Didn’t have much to do
Holmes 7 Solid and nearly scored with a cracking header
Moore 8 Superb. Crucial tackles and positions
Morrison 7 Solid and again good positions
Richards 8. Another very impressive performance
Laurent 8 High energy, won his 50/50 battles. Terrific
Rinomhota 8 Passing was better today and the usual tackles won
Ejaria 8 I thought he was terrific. Scored and played a big part in the second goal
Olise 7 Quiet first half but another wonderful assist and some very good set pieces
Meite 7 Great assist. Took his goal well but he should have scored a couple more
Joao 9 MoTM Absolutely brilliant

Semedo 6 Busy when he came on.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Nov 2020 17:25

CountryRoyal Going back to the Chris Martin incident am I right in saying he can’t be cited because the ref game him a yellow?

Very lucky if so.

He can’t be cited because he’s not a rugby player !
In football they very, very rarely take action for extreme incidents but they must be things the ref didn’t spot (in theory).
The tackle today would never be dealt with after the event.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 17:29

Nameless
CountryRoyal Going back to the Chris Martin incident am I right in saying he can’t be cited because the ref game him a yellow?

Very lucky if so.

He can’t be cited because he’s not a rugby player !
In football they very, very rarely take action for extreme incidents but they must be things the ref didn’t spot (in theory).
The tackle today would never be dealt with after the event.

No? I seem to remember several moments where retrospective action was taken. I’ve probably just made that up dunno.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Nov 2020 17:30

CountryRoyal
Hound fwiw ratings

Interesting format. I like it. Works nicely provided no individual summaries are given.

Yeh much better idea
I haven't got time to read lengthy reviews!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Nov 2020 18:05

Some very complimentary posts on their forum.

209 posts