411 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (a) sponsored by Jack Witham

by Sutekh » 28 Nov 2020 17:02

When : Wednesday 2nd December 2020, 7.45pm
Where : Hillsborough, Sheffield, S6 1SW
Capacity : 39,812

Another game live on Sky for the recovering Royals. Reading are now in a run of 1 win from 1 game and that was also live on Sky so might the live hoodoo finally be turning? Given the record since August 2017 is played 16 won 3 drawn 2 lost 11 think it might take a few more games to convince us of that.

In addition to that Reading are also looking to continue reversing their pretty grim away midweek league record of just 3 wins from 38 outings since 2014 esp. given all 3 of those wins came against teams beginning with ‘B’ so will need to dig deep to collect 3 points.

Sheffield Wednesday are certainly in a false league position due to a 6 point deduction and they should actually be 19th rather than 23rd. Given that league standing it’s fairly clear their form is not great (1 win and 3 draws from the last 9 played) but as we all know Reading do tend to have great problems with any side not doing particularly well so would expect this to be a difficult test, particularly as that solitary win was at home to Bournemouth and because Tony Pulis has only just taken up the reins at the club and we know how difficult his sides can be to break down. Indeed the Owls have drawn away at Swansea and at home to Stoke in their last 2 games so Mr Pulis is already starting to have an effect.

From experience Barry Bannan is the big thorn in the side and has a tendency to run games between the teams, this term he is also the Owls’ leading scorer although he has only scored twice which would highlight what seems to be the main problem for Wednesday who have only scored 6 goals. Adam Reach is another player who needs to be carefully watched.

Wednesday will be without Josh Windass (suspended), Aden Flint and Jack Marriott and have doubts over Kieran Westwood and Dominic Iorfa. Reading are still missing Swift, Araruna, Yiadom and Puscas.

Referee

Oliver Langford is back for this one

Previously

19 Apr 19 > Bristol City 1-1 Reading
12 Jan 19 > Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest
24 Nov 2018 > Wigan Athletic 0-0 Reading
22 Aug 2018 > Blackburn Rovers 2-2 Reading
17 Mar 2018 > Norwich City 3-2 Reading
26 Dec 2017 > Bristol City 2-0 Reading
28 Oct 17 > Reading 0-2 Middlesbrough
12 Jan 17 > Reading 0-1 Queen’s Park Rangers
03 Dec 16 > Fulham 5-0 Reading
04 Oct 16 > Portsmouth 2-2 Reading U23 (Checkacrowd Trophy)
27 Sep 16 > Brentford 4-1 Reading
19 Jan 16 > Reading 5-2 Huddersfield Town (FAC3R)
16 Dec 15 > Hull City 2-1 Reading
11 Mar 14 > Leeds United 2-4 Reading
14 Dec 13 > Huddersfield Town 0-1 Reading
06 Mar 12 > Reading 1-0 Portsmouth
27 Aug 11 > Hull City 1-0 Reading
16 Oct 10 > Reading 0-1 Swansea City
09 Feb 10 > Reading 1-0 Plymouth Argyle

Historically

Given Wednesday’s history of regularly being in and around the first division and yo-yo-ing between there and the second division, until around 1970, it’s no real surprise that other than a couple of cup ties it was not until October 1976 that a league game was finally played between the clubs. Even then the late 70s saw a Wednesday return to the aforementioned yo-yo-ing status so again it was not until the appearance of the 21st century that league games became a regular occurence.

This is the 14th season the two clubs have shared and of the previous 13 treks up north it’s not been too bad a place for Reading to visit having earned 4 wins and 3 draws overall.

Hillsborough has actually not been too bad a place for Reading down the years given it’s a long northern trek to a more illustrious club. In the 13 previous visits Reading have won on 4 occasions and managed 4 draws while scoring 17 to the Owls’ 18.

How to follow the game

1. SKY again
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription (audio only)
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (a) sponsored by Jack Witham

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Nov 2020 18:02

I was a bit shocked to see Reach's goal in midweek was his first for 14 months. Maybe he only scores belters.

Pulis does seem to have the knack of setting clubs on an even keel so, fingers crossed, he's still settling in. Its winnable but considering there have only been 6 goals in Wednesday's last 6 games (beat Bournemouth but lost to Wycombe in those 6 games), don't be surprised with a 0-0.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Nov 2020 18:13

We`ve got goals in us, Wednesday don`t score many, I`m confident. likely a 3-0 loss then. :D

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Nov 2020 18:18

How do they handle former players? Will be Joao's first game against Sheffield Wednesday.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 28 Nov 2020 18:25

Be honest folks...

a) Do you know who Jack Witham is ?
b) Did you ever see him play ?
c) Did you ever see him score for us ?

I'm in for the first two, but I will be staggered if anyone banks three out of three.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Nov 2020 18:35

Hat trick away at Hartlepool, wasn't it?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 28 Nov 2020 18:36

Barney Be honest folks...

a) Do you know who Jack Witham is ?
b) Did you ever see him play ?
c) Did you ever see him score for us ?

I'm in for the first two, but I will be staggered if anyone banks three out of three.

Someone must have gone to Hartlepool :D

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Nov 2020 18:40

From Despair To Where? Hat trick away at Hartlepool, wasn't it?

Yep defs somewhere like that - early 1970's div 4 days - had a beard I seem to remember, can't remember much else....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Nov 2020 18:41

Never saw him play but I have read Dunphy's book so know about his goalscoring exploit.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 28 Nov 2020 19:33

Jack Whitham scored a hat trick, away to Hartlepool, in Sept 1975.

This game was part of a "double header" where we played away to Workington on the Saturday, then away to Hartlepool on the Monday. One of the rare occasions where, in those days, the club stayed overnight for more than one night for away fixtures.
We won both games. 2-0 at Workington and then 4-2 at Hartlepool. The attendances were 1712 and 2261.

All part of the fantastic 1975-76 season, in which we won our first promotion for FIFTY years.

And for the anoraks, our home league record that season was:
Played 23
Won 19
Drew 3
Lost 1
Goals F 42
Goals A 9

So basically, as an away team, if you came to Elm Park....you would lose, you wouldn't score, and you would concede at least 2. :D

I'll get my coat.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Nov 2020 19:52

Barney Jack Whitham scored a hat trick, away to Hartlepool, in Sept 1975.

This game was part of a "double header" where we played away to Workington on the Saturday, then away to Hartlepool on the Monday. One of the rare occasions where, in those days, the club stayed overnight for more than one night for away fixtures.
We won both games. 2-0 at Workington and then 4-2 at Hartlepool. The attendances were 1712 and 2261.

All part of the fantastic 1975-76 season, in which we won our first promotion for FIFTY years.

Played 23
Won 19
Drew 3
Lost 1
Goals F 42
Goals A 9

So basically, as an away team, if you came to Elm Park....you would lose, you wouldn't score, and you would concede at least 2. :D

I'll get my coat.

Think we won our first 13 home games or something like that

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Nov 2020 21:08

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Nov 2020 10:34

Barney Jack Whitham scored a hat trick, away to Hartlepool, in Sept 1975.

Played 23
Won 19
Drew 3
Lost 1
Goals F 42
Goals A 9

I'll get my coat.

Whitham scored only 3 goals for Reading in 19 appearance (his last game was a 3-0 defeat at Huddersfield in February 1976). He started his career with 31 goals in 63 games for Sheffield Wednesday over 6 seasons before moving to Liverpool where he bagged 7 in 15 apps over 4 years.

After a season with Cardiff he rocked up to finish his professional career at Reading. His lack of appearances for clubs seems to be down to injuries.

After Reading he went to non-league with Worksop Town, amongst others, and managed Hallam for a while.

And 75/76 saw Reading win their first 13 games at home before a 0-0 with Torquay in February (with no doubt a meltdown following amongst fans). The only defeat was 1-0 to Doncaster 3 games later.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Nov 2020 08:07

Oliver Langford more than likely is a member of a sadist cult.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Nov 2020 08:25

Be an interesting one this (actually it’ll probably be very dull)

Guessing sheff weds will be a typical keep it tight and hope for a set piece goal in standard Pulis fashion

Depends how much we can get the likes of Olise and Ejaria on the ball and also hopefully utilise our own strength from set pieces

Got to be same team as Saturday if at all possible. It looks the best balanced all round at the moment with Esteves, Semedo, Aluko and Baldock all ok options to change things around a bit if needed

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Nov 2020 09:02

Wednesday have only scored seven League goals this season but they have only let in twelve. So just nineteen goals in their fourteen games this season.
Only Blackburn have scored more than us.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Nov 2020 09:10

I get to be one of those "I have a mate who supports..." sorts of people this morning. Geezer I grew up with is a Sheff Wed fan, and I quote...

rectalwart (0v0)

"Think even joao would struggle to score against the 10 defenders that pulis has set up"

He will be happy with a 0:0. So we might have a hard time breaking them down seeming as we play on the counter-attack.

We must remain focussed and not expect them to be sh*t.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Nov 2020 09:13

Zip Wednesday have only scored seven League goals this season but they have only let in twelve. So just nineteen goals in their fourteen games this season.

Thats nuts. How has Toney scored 60% of Brentfords goals?

I hate to go all "praising Brentford" again but how did nobody spot Toney at Peterborough before Brentford? Surely some lower PL teams should have been all over that.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Nov 2020 09:15

skipper I get to be one of those "I have a mate who supports..." sorts of people this morning. Geezer I grew up with is a Sheff Wed fan, and I quote...

rectalwart (0v0)

"Think even joao would struggle to score against the 10 defenders that pulis has set up"

He will be happy with a 0:0. So we might have a hard time breaking them down seeming as we play on the counter-attack.

We must remain focussed and not expect them to be sh*t.

I mean, I get it but Joao is often marked tight. He still gets away. Against Bristol City they put 4 men on him once he got into the box. That just left other players open.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Nov 2020 09:22

NewCorkSeth
Zip Wednesday have only scored seven League goals this season but they have only let in twelve. So just nineteen goals in their fourteen games this season.

Thats nuts. How has Toney scored 60% of Brentfords goals?

I hate to go all "praising Brentford" again but how did nobody spot Toney at Peterborough before Brentford? Surely some lower PL teams should have been all over that.

I think everyone had spotted him to be fair. Which is why they ended up spending up to 10m on him, and he basically had his pick of teams. Its a big jump from Div1 to the Prem though, can see why nobody gambled from the Prem

411 posts