How good is Yakou Meite?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

How good is Yakou Meite?

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 20:21

I've been thinking this for a while, and after a goal and an assist today I'm going to say it. Meite on a free is one of our best signings in the past 10 years or so. And he just keeps proving anybody who doubts him wrong.

When we signed him he looked incredibly raw, hence we barely saw him at first and then he was sent out on loan. But since he came back, he has kept proving me wrong.

I thought it was a mistake to award him a 4 year deal after one purple patch. I thought we could have sold him in January, but he went on to score the key goals in 2018 to keep us up.

I thought signing Joao and Puscas would be the end for him, but he was our top scorer last year.

And this year, he's really developing his decision making and technical attributes. His assist for Joao today was a great example; not just the energy and athleticism in the 90th minute, which we all know he has, but making the right pass. He's got better at bringing the ball down and holding up play. And he's still improving; who's to say he won't play at a higher level?

Obviously he'll never have the passing range of Swift or control and dribbling of Joao and Ejaria. But he can still get better and more clinical. He could have scored a hat trick today.

And his achievements to date have been in a struggling team. How does his record compare to Le Fondre, for example? Could you make an argument to say he has done more for us?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: How good is Yakou Meite?

by windermereROYAL » 28 Nov 2020 20:28

Scoring 30+ goals in the last 2 seasons in a struggling team I`m excited to know what he can do in a good creative team, with him and Joao up top we could be in for a top season this year.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 28 Nov 2020 20:30

His work rate, particularly this season has been phenomenal - especially working back and covering his full-back. He isn't the most technically gifted of players, but he gives his all and you can't ask much more than that, especially when he has an end product as wll.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 20:30

What I like about the guy is during these turgid years of utter shit - his connection to the fans. The fans have never felt more distant and unconnected to the utter oxf*rd mercenary journey men sorry excuses we’ve had for footballers gracing our pitch over the last 4 years. Meite had ALWAYS shown he’s cared, he leaves nothing on the pitch and has been the one player that fans have been drawn to. Genuinely wears his heart on his sleeve and truly cares for club and the fans.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Nov 2020 20:31

Clement got it right by having faith in him. He’s my favourite current player because of what he brings off the field as well. He was denied an absolute peach of a goal in the first half when he chested the ball, turned and volleyed it goalwards.

Without doubt one of our best signings in the past decade.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Nov 2020 20:32

WoodleyRoyal What I like about the guy is during these turgid years of utter shit - his connection to the fans. The fans have never felt more distant and unconnected to the utter oxf*rd mercenary journey men sorry excuses we’ve had for footballers gracing our pitch over the last 4 years. Meite had ALWAYS shown he’s cared, he leaves nothing on the pitch and has been the one player that fans have been drawn to. Genuinely wears his heart on his sleeve and truly cares for club and the fans.

Yep.,

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Nov 2020 20:32

I dont think he's outstanding at anything but his all round game is decent and he's a physical player who works bloody hard. He must be a joy to play alongside. If he had even half of Le Fondre's goalscoring instinct, he'd be in the Premiership. I think he complements Joao extremely well and their respective skill sets dovetail nicely.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Nov 2020 21:15

He is bloody brilliant to be fair. And yes on a freebie one of the signings of the decade

Power, pace, aerial ability, excellent defensively and scores at a rate of 15+ a season from the wing

Sometimes you need him to miss a few games just to remind you what he brings to the team

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 28 Nov 2020 22:08

And don't forget the acrobatic nearly-goal today!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Nov 2020 22:53

Bloody love Meite. Not the most technically gifted, but combines decent skill with absolutely phenomenal strength, workrate and determination. And he's no slouch and a quality finisher too.

Exactly the sort of player that I love to see and that gets frequently underrated.

Him, Joao, Olise and Ejaria all bring a different killer skillset to the team which must make us super hard to play against.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Nov 2020 22:57

Meite is an excellent Championship player that we will be lucky to keep hold of in January. Could see a Fulham or WBA looking at him in preparation for their Championship return next season.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Nov 2020 23:22

He's got a lovely smile. Which for me, is a massive plus.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Nov 2020 23:43

Yakou has everything Aluko lacks. Passion and drive. A winner.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2020 07:40

Old Man Andrews Meite is an excellent Championship player that we will be lucky to keep hold of in January. Could see a Fulham or WBA looking at him in preparation for their Championship return next season.

Given the club have shown time and again we don't sell our key players, it will take one he'll of a bid for us to sell him.

Would also depend where we are in the league too. In play-off places then think we'll be strengthening not selling this coming Jan.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Nov 2020 08:23

I agree with the above that he’s a steal and we’re lucky to have him.

I don’t think his technical ability quite matches the rest of him and it makes him look a bit ragged at times. I think he’s quite a smart footballer as in he knows what he needs to do, where he needs to be and how he needs to do things beyond many others, it’s juts that his body isn’t quite capable of carrying out some of the ideas his mind has.

But as a championship striker/sort of winger, he’s a gem.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2020 09:17

I think he's been great for us. Hardworking, passionate, strong, good in the air, not afraid to get stuck in and has a jovial presence. He connect with the fans on twitter and Instagram all the time in a genuine way. He clearly is a big presence in the changing room.

I think we are lucky to have him and we are much better with him in the team than not.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2020 09:40

Royal Ginger I agree with the above that he’s a steal and we’re lucky to have him.

I don’t think his technical ability quite matches the rest of him and it makes him look a bit ragged at times. I think he’s quite a smart footballer as in he knows what he needs to do, where he needs to be and how he needs to do things beyond many others, it’s juts that his body isn’t quite capable of carrying out some of the ideas his mind has.

Agree with this, the 3rd goal from yesterday shows that. Has the intelligence to run down the line and try to run the clock out but then realises that Joao is unmarked in the box ready to put the game beyond doubt.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2020 09:43

Hendo
Royal Ginger I agree with the above that he’s a steal and we’re lucky to have him.

Agree with this, the 3rd goal from yesterday shows that. Has the intelligence to run down the line and try to run the clock out but then realises that Joao is unmarked in the box ready to put the game beyond doubt.

I agree, but I'd also say it's where we've seen the most progression in the past year. 18 months ago he'd have made the 90th minute dash upfield, but wasted the position with his final ball. His decision making is so much improved and he really is maximising his talent.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Nov 2020 09:47

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo

I agree, but I'd also say it's where we've seen the most progression in the past year. 18 months ago he'd have made the 90th minute dash upfield, but wasted the position with his final ball. His decision making is so much improved and he really is maximising his talent.

If, if, if I know, but if Joao doesn’t make that intelligent run it may well have been Yak giving the ball away cheaply.

One did, one didn’t and the rest is now history

Yak is the Dean Horrix of this team to Joao’s Trevor Senior

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Nov 2020 09:57

I’m not sure how ‘good’ he is, but he is certainly incredibly effective and I’ll take that every time.
Must be horrible for teams working out how to defend against him. A big, powerful, pacy guy hanging out on the wing but then suddenly popping upon the box is a nightmare. He’s too big and strong for many full backs and centre backs must get distracted knowing he could arrive at any time.
He’s totally different to all our other forwards, really important part of the blend.