MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (h) sponsored by Neil Webb

285 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Nottingham Forest (h) sponsored by Neil Webb

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Dec 2020 00:03

There's a weird air of confidence amongst the Forest fans considering they haven't scored in 4 games.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 07:38

Its kinda crazy how hectic the schedule is this year. As a fan I'm delighted because it feels like I'm always watching football but does anyone else think this could lead to a really unpredictable season?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2020 07:51

NewCorkSeth Its kinda crazy how hectic the schedule is this year. As a fan I'm delighted because it feels like I'm always watching football but does anyone else think this could lead to a really unpredictable season?

Yes and no.

It will be unpredictable in the sense that I think this season will be much closer than previous years - add in to the mix that there could soon be a situation where some clubs have 4k fans, others 2k and others none and that may give an additional boost to those allowed fans. However, it feels pretty set that the bottom 6 will be the bottom six most of the season - Forest & Derby being 2 of those may be a shock but they have just kept up their shocking form from the restart.

The one thing that the schedule as is makes more likely this year is that a team can get momentum (in both directions quickly) - with very little time between games to sort out issues, a team can easily go on a terrible run (see out 4 straight defeats for example) without being able to work too much to remedy the problem. Conversely, if a team wins a couple, gains confidence etc. then they can suddenly pick up a lot of points quickly (see our start for example).

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 08:03

Stranded
NewCorkSeth Its kinda crazy how hectic the schedule is this year. As a fan I'm delighted because it feels like I'm always watching football but does anyone else think this could lead to a really unpredictable season?

Yes and no.

It will be unpredictable in the sense that I think this season will be much closer than previous years - add in to the mix that there could soon be a situation where some clubs have 4k fans, others 2k and others none and that may give an additional boost to those allowed fans. However, it feels pretty set that the bottom 6 will be the bottom six most of the season - Forest & Derby being 2 of those may be a shock but they have just kept up their shocking form from the restart.

The one thing that the schedule as is makes more likely this year is that a team can get momentum (in both directions quickly) - with very little time between games to sort out issues, a team can easily go on a terrible run (see out 4 straight defeats for example) without being able to work too much to remedy the problem. Conversely, if a team wins a couple, gains confidence etc. then they can suddenly pick up a lot of points quickly (see our start for example).

Yeah I agree with that but injuries will surely be a bigger issue this season too? Even the 3 relegated sides could be stuck on a run of games missing a key player or 2.

Its easy right now to say Norwich look strong but in a month that could be completely different and given how tight it is this could be a much longer race than we usually see. Its exciting.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2020 09:15

NewCorkSeth
Stranded

Yes and no.

Yeah I agree with that but injuries will surely be a bigger issue this season too? Even the 3 relegated sides could be stuck on a run of games missing a key player or 2.

Its easy right now to say Norwich look strong but in a month that could be completely different and given how tight it is this could be a much longer race than we usually see. Its exciting.

Yeah absolutely - I don't think it is any surprise that we had our poor run mainly whilst we were without Ejaria, Moore and Meite.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Dec 2020 09:44

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
Stranded
Yes and no.

Yeah absolutely - I don't think it is any surprise that we had our poor run mainly whilst we were without Ejaria, Moore and Meite.

The big one is Joao. I know we beat Watford without him, but I don't see how we could have a sustainable run of form if he got a longer term injury.

On the other hand, our achievements without Swift and Yiadom are very impressive. If you'd told people pre season that they'd barely play in 2020 and we'd be 4th, you'd have been met with skepticism.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2020 09:52

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded
NewCorkSeth Yeah I agree with that but injuries will surely be a bigger issue this season too? Even the 3 relegated sides could be stuck on a run of games missing a key player or 2.

The big one is Joao. I know we beat Watford without him, but I don't see how we could have a sustainable run of form if he got a longer term injury.

On the other hand, our achievements without Swift and Yiadom are very impressive. If you'd told people pre season that they'd barely play in 2020 and we'd be 4th, you'd have been met with skepticism.

Yep, I would still be tempted to try and find a Joao-lite in January - perhaps a lower league version given that signing from Europe are about to get harder. Someone who can do at least some of the things he does but clearly unlikely to be at his level - maybe we finally go in for Piggott from AFCW.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 09:54

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded
NewCorkSeth Yeah I agree with that but injuries will surely be a bigger issue this season too? Even the 3 relegated sides could be stuck on a run of games missing a key player or 2.

Swift is probably the best player in the league that is unlikely to make it into the first XI.

How many teams can boast a player of his quality that might not start?

Although given how Pauno has used Semedo ahead of Olise, Swift might be straight back into the team. All I know is at least 9 positions in our team are set. GK, the 2 CBs, LB, the 2 CMs, Meite, Ejaria and Joao. Olise probably should be number 10 but Pauno takes him off an awful lot. RB is the only position where there is a few options that are about equal right now.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 09:57

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

Yep, I would still be tempted to try and find a Joao-lite in January - perhaps a lower league version given that signing from Europe are about to get harder. Someone who can do at least some of the things he does but clearly unlikely to be at his level - maybe we finally go in for Piggott from AFCW.

Still think we should look to sell before bringing in another striker. Joao is a complete forward and easily one of the best in the league. We won't find a "Joao-lite" and that kind of gamble when we have to balance minutes for Puscas already is a good way to cause some squad disharmony.

If we can sell Baldock then fine. Bring in a 3rd choice striker. If not then what's the point?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Dec 2020 09:58

NewCorkSeth
WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

Swift is probably the best player in the league that is unlikely to make it into the first XI.

Although given how Pauno has used Semedo ahead of Olise, Swift might be straight back into the team. All I know is at least 9 positions in our team are set. GK, the 2 CBs, LB, the 2 CMs, Meite, Ejaria and Joao. Olise probably should be number 10 but Pauno takes him off an awful lot. RB is the only position where there is a few options that are about equal right now.

Swift on the bench would have been perfect for a game like Wednesday. Take Rino or Laurent off and let Swift dominate the game and dictate tempo from deep. He won't walk back into the team with Olise, Meite and Ejaria fit, but having a game changer of his quality on the bench would be a massive boost.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 10:01

WestYorksRoyal
NewCorkSeth
WestYorksRoyal The big one is Joao. I know we beat Watford without him, but I don't see how we could have a sustainable run of form if he got a longer term injury.

Swift on the bench would have been perfect for a game like Wednesday. Take Rino or Laurent off and let Swift dominate the game and dictate tempo from deep. He won't walk back into the team with Olise, Meite and Ejaria fit, but having a game changer of his quality on the bench would be a massive boost.

Thats why I am relatively happy with our depth right now. When all fit a bench including Esteves, Holmes, Swift, Semedo and Puscas looks good to me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2020 10:25

NewCorkSeth
WestYorksRoyal
NewCorkSeth Swift is probably the best player in the league that is unlikely to make it into the first XI.

Thats why I am relatively happy with our depth right now. When all fit a bench including Esteves, Holmes, Swift, Semedo and Puscas looks good to me.

Yeah I'm generally happy with the squad. Ideal world you'd prob swap Baldock for a Joao lite as mentioned. Puscas is a great back up. I'm really not bothered about bringing in a winger or anything.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Dec 2020 11:16

Without continuously banging the “winger” drum, really think one would have been useful to bring on the right hand side on Wednesday, especially without Meite

Even though they had quite a few players defending in their box and for what you’d normally associate with a Pulis team, they didn’t look too comfortable from crosses and the few times we tried it, we looked dangerous

Mentioned it a few weeks ago, always nice to have a plan B and plan C etc

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2020 11:31

URZZZZ Without continuously banging the “winger” drum, really think one would have been useful to bring on the right hand side on Wednesday, especially without Meite

Even though they had quite a few players defending in their box and for what you’d normally associate with a Pulis team, they didn’t look too comfortable from crosses and the few times we tried it, we looked dangerous

think Esteves basically played as one. He is always an option further forward as is Richards on the left

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 11:39

Hound
URZZZZ Without continuously banging the “winger” drum, really think one would have been useful to bring on the right hand side on Wednesday, especially without Meite

think Esteves basically played as one. He is always an option further forward as is Richards on the left

Yeah and despite some criticism of Esteves' defensive attributes and some people thinking it was a bad use of subs last game, he really doesn look good going forward.

With Yiadom back we have another Richards, although Richards might actually be a lot better than him at this point.

Also. Aluko. Hes been OK. Sure he's not exciting but he's done an OK job thus season. I'm happy with him as cover right now. If Meite is out injured for a long period then yeah. New winger. Although obviously Olise should start in Meites place if that happens.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Dec 2020 12:02

NewCorkSeth
Hound

Yeah and despite some criticism of Esteves' defensive attributes and some people thinking it was a bad use of subs last game, he really doesn look good going forward.

With Yiadom back we have another Richards, although Richards might actually be a lot better than him at this point.

Also. Aluko. Hes been OK. Sure he's not exciting but he's done an OK job thus season. I'm happy with him as cover right now. If Meite is out injured for a long period then yeah. New winger. Although obviously Olise should start in Meites place if that happens.

Does or doesn't?

Don't agree with Olise starting in Meite's place unless we're down to the bare bones. I know there's been a lot of to and fro with Ejaria's best position but I really do think Olise plays better centrally further forward

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Dec 2020 12:07

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Hound

Does or doesn't?

Don't agree with Olise starting in Meite's place unless we're down to the bare bones. I know there's been a lot of to and fro with Ejaria's best position but I really do think Olise plays better centrally further forward

Does! Odd typo that.

I think left footed Olise slots in very nicely on our right flank. He certainly is our best option there if Meite is out.

If Swift is back and Meite is out a forward line of

Olise----Swift----Ejaria
------------Joao

Is tasty.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Dec 2020 12:10

Hound

But neither go outside their man with pace.
I am with URZZZZ on this and I guess the club might go for one of this type having lost Riquelme to Bournemouth. and weren't able to replace him, which implies that the club would like to have a winger on board.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Dec 2020 12:24

South Coast Royal
Hound

I am with URZZZZ on this and I guess the club might go for one of this type having lost Riquelme to Bournemouth. and weren't able to replace him, which implies that the club would like to have a winger on board.

Agreed. Think the club would like a winger, but if we can't bring in a good one we won't bring in an average one. 100% right attitude.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Dec 2020 12:28

WestYorksRoyal
South Coast Royal
Hound

Agreed. Think the club would like a winger, but if we can't bring in a good one we won't bring in an average one. 100% right attitude.

South Coast Royal would favour a right winger.

285 posts