MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h) sponsored by Tony Barrass

340 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h) sponsored by Tony Barrass

by Zip » 22 Dec 2020 20:31

Hound
Zip It took Swift an age to recover his form after a serious hamstring injury two/three years ago. So not expecting much. We desperately need Joao back ASAP.

Yeah that was 3 years ago

He was excellent right from the start of last year. I’m being optimistic

He did very well last season. Hit fitness was so much better. I think it will take him a good while to get back to that level. We need him back though. As Ian says it’s the strikers we sorely miss. Let’s hope Joao is back on Saturday.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2020 20:34

Zip
Hound
Zip It took Swift an age to recover his form after a serious hamstring injury two/three years ago. So not expecting much. We desperately need Joao back ASAP.

He did very well last season. Hit fitness was so much better. I think it will take him a good while to get back to that level. We need him back though. As Ian says it’s the strikers we sorely miss. Let’s hope Joao is back on Saturday.

I don’t disagree on Joao. Would be a massive boost if he returns and he is a huge loss, esp with no Meite

Just taking issue with the suggestion that Swift also isn’t a very good player . But I’m sure it’ll be mid Jan before he is fully up to speed - but after that he’ll be a big player for us again

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Dec 2020 20:46

Hound
Zip
Hound

I don’t disagree on Joao. Would be a massive boost if he returns and he is a huge loss, esp with no Meite

Just taking issue with the suggestion that Swift also isn’t a very good player . But I’m sure it’ll be mid Jan before he is fully up to speed - but after that he’ll be a big player for us again

Eh? Whose saying Swift is not a very good player. He’s quality at Championship level. I just think he is going to take a good while to get back to where he was.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2020 20:55

Well that’s how I read Ian’s post. Apologies if he meant it only for this game as re-reading he may have done

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2020 09:34

I meant it that he's never been consistently good for a whole season,he was poor post lockdown restart, and that you can't expect him to return after so long out firing on all cylinders, and that he's a type of player we have already in the team right now, so his return doesn't solve the problem of no goalscorer to lead the attack.

Didn't say he wasn't good.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2020 09:46

Snowflake Royal I meant it that he's never been consistently good for a whole season,he was poor post lockdown restart, and that you can't expect him to return after so long out firing on all cylinders, and that he's a type of player we have already in the team right now, so his return doesn't solve the problem of no goalscorer to lead the attack.

fair enough. Please accept my apologies.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2020 09:48

Hound
Snowflake Royal I meant it that he's never been consistently good for a whole season,he was poor post lockdown restart, and that you can't expect him to return after so long out firing on all cylinders, and that he's a type of player we have already in the team right now, so his return doesn't solve the problem of no goalscorer to lead the attack.

fair enough. Please accept my apologies.

No apology needed my good man.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Dec 2020 10:07

Difficult one to call, Luton aren't so hot away from home at the moment but we're pretty toothless right now with all our players out, if we even have 1 player back for the game I'll feel a lot more confident.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Dec 2020 10:27

Luton's last 4 games away

P4 W0 D1 L3 F0 A7

So no wins and no goals in the last 4 games on the road - we have to look to get ahead early and get the 3 points.

Of course, it'll probably end up being a 1-0 away win now.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Dec 2020 22:39

Hound
CountryRoyal If Joao/Swift are back we should be alright but if it’s the same team against Norwich most likely another L unless Rafael has a blinder and or they can’t finish in which case a draw could be possible.

Let’s be real with this current team we’re not out scoring anyone.

Except QPR

Where our only meaningful shot on target was a 25 yard wonderstrike?

Rely on that if you want but you’ll be disappointed 9 times out of 10, and pretending otherwise is clutching at straws for the sake of being a pedant. Expected more from you tbf.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2020 13:48

Reckon

Rafael

Holmes
Morrison
Moore
Bristow

Rinomhota
Laurent

Ejaria
Olise
Aluko
Baldock

Subs

Southwood
Semedo
Swift
Joao
McIntyre
Esteves
Onen
Dorsett
Melvin-Lambert

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Dec 2020 14:35

Looking at our squad now and the fixtures coming up I would be delighted but surprised if we are in the top 8 by the end of January.

We might get away with it against Luton but the away games against Swansea and Huddersfield will most likely be difficult as well as home games (does " home" make any difference in these dark days?) against high-flying Brentford and Bournemouth to come.

The other two games in January are home and away against Coventry and Preston-two fixtures that one might expect to pick up points from but they are two teams that we have already lost against recently with almost our full squad to choose from!!!

It's time for the fringe players to stand up but seeing a team sheet that once again includes Aluko and Baldock doesn't fill me with great confidence especially as Luton look to be much more resilient than the team that we slaughtered last season.

The news about Moore is the direct opposite of the icing on the cake.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Dec 2020 14:49

It's ok saying the fringe players need to step up but with Moore out we will likely have a bench where at least 6 players will have less than 10 apps for us.

Not a good place to be but also hope we don't rush back Swift or Joao to compensate.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Dec 2020 15:00

Just popped on. First thing I’ve seen is “Moore out”.

Ok I’ll be off again. Thank god I’m working Boxing Day.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Dec 2020 15:07

Stranded It's ok saying the fringe players need to step up but with Moore out we will likely have a bench where at least 6 players will have less than 10 apps for us.

Not a good place to be but also hope we don't rush back Swift or Joao to compensate.

My point was that they will just have to step up, there are no other options, so one man's injury is another man's opportunity.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2020 17:23

Injury news for Saturday, players out

Luton

James Bree

Reading

Andy Yiadom, Yakou Meite, Felipe Araruna, Omar Richards, Lewis Gibson and George Puscas.

Jon Swift and/or Lucas Joao may possibly be on the bench.

Seen and heard nothing about Liam Moore being out other than the remarks on this board, anyone able to provide more info? Presume it’s something that’s happened in training?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Dec 2020 17:32

Sutekh Injury news for Saturday, players out

Luton

James Bree

How festive.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Dec 2020 18:43

Seen and heard nothing about Liam Moore being out other than the remarks on this board, anyone able to provide more info? Presume it’s something that’s happened in training?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ExclusivesFc ... 7439699973

So not the Christmas news anyone wants but I have been told that Liam Moore is injured and it’s going to be at least 6 weeks before we see him again

(Also Walker will be missing from the bench as gone on an emergency loan to Blackpool)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2020 19:42

South Coast Royal
The other two games in January are home and away against Coventry and Preston-two fixtures that one might expect to pick up points from but they are two teams that we have already lost against recently with almost our full squad to choose from!!!

You sure about that?

Coventry was missing Swift, Yiadom, Araruna, Meite and Ejaria

Preston was missing the same plus Moore.

That's four to five first team players out

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Dec 2020 21:27

Luton

James Bree

Reading

Andy Yiadom, Yakou Meite, Felipe Araruna, Omar Richards, Lewis Gibson and George Puscas.

Jon Swift and/or Lucas Joao may possibly be on the bench.

It was tweeted by the guy who called the Gibson injury.

340 posts