MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (a) sponsored by a no pressure game

429 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (a) sponsored by a no pressure game

by Nameless » 29 Dec 2020 08:55

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal It's a draw under plenty of interpretations.

Extra time and pens can be considered a tie breaker to see who goes through, after the game itself is drawn. Winning a tie and winning a match don't have to be the exact same thing.

Soccerbase - 19/20, Wycombe 1-1 Reading D*

The original comment was pretty clear that it was taking a view from a certain perspective only. No need to get your knickers in a twist because not everyone sees things by your exact interpretation.

So you’d Use Soccerbase as your definitive reference ?
According to them we ‘ve played Arsenal 14 times and arsenal have won all 14 including a 7-5 league cup win.
Not really much more to debate here.

No, because you see I'm not saying it can only be interpreted one way. I'm saying it can be interpreted multiple ways. It's you trying to dictate. It's you who said no one could view it that way. Definitively we've got the person who made the original point, me, stranded, soccerbase, so clearly it can can be considered as the match being drawn. But apparently only you can have a valid opinion.

Not at all.
Considering I made the original point first of all so how you think I disagree with myself....
Soccerbase state the game was lost so how you think they back you case I cannot imagine.
It was a simple statement that we’ve lost every game we’ve played against Arsenal. Which is true.
Whether you want to split hairs about betting definitions or any other variant is a bit beside the point. I’m not ‘dictating’ anything, just a bit bemused that the simple and unarguable point that we’ve lost every game we’ve played against Arsenal should get you so wound up and desperate to prove me wrong !
Typical Ian though, turn a really simple thing into a battle, make it personal and nasty. Really don’t get where you get the enjoyment from being like this.
If it makes you happy It is clear that in a couple of games we were drawing after 90 minutes and betting companies would have paid out on specific bets but for the purposes of the football world in general and the record books we’ve lost every game we’ve played against the Gunners.

Finally I’ll say that what was a really simple, non controversial point really shouldn't Have turned into row with unpleasant undertones. Frankly I’m not that fussed if people want to have multiple results for the same game, feel free to decide your own version of how a game ended - I actually don’t accept we lost the game v Arsenal in 1972 (technically) but realise others will insist own goals really do count against the team conceding them :D

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 29 Dec 2020 13:26

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Claiming to have drawn a game we lost is desperation !
The number of people who consider we actually drew 4-4 in that league cup game would probably be about 1....

We've had this conversation before and there are plenty of sources that consider it a draw. It's not one interpretation is possible only.

Bizarre how having drawn each match we weren’t the team that went on and played in the next round....cup ties must have a winner and a loser. The result of the Arsenal game was 7-5. That isn’t a draw under ANY interpretation .

I was only disagreeing with your suggestion it was arbitrary. The person you were replying to didn't randomly come to the decision to look at the 90 minute mark.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Dec 2020 13:36

skipper
Nameless
Snowflake Royal We've had this conversation before and there are plenty of sources that consider it a draw. It's not one interpretation is possible only.

Bizarre how having drawn each match we weren’t the team that went on and played in the next round....cup ties must have a winner and a loser. The result of the Arsenal game was 7-5. That isn’t a draw under ANY interpretation .

I was only disagreeing with your suggestion it was arbitrary. The person you were replying to didn't randomly come to the decision to look at the 90 minute mark.

Indeed, and I was really meaning that to pick a point other than the final whistle of the game to pin the result on seems rather pointless. But of course 90 minutes would be the final whistle for a league match so ‘abitrary’ is not a great description.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Dec 2020 14:07

How about winning or losing a game on penalties?

The GAME was finished.

Also, prior to recent changes, if there was a draw, there was a replay
at the away ground. So THEN the game was a draw, unequivocally.

One side eventually wins the TIE, but didn't win the GAME.

If you look back at Reading games where we drew home or away
and then had a replay, the record will show D, yes?

Now, they add an immediate extra-time, it's NOT a D?

And this year, where they have a 90-minute finish, and if THAT is a draw, penalties?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Dec 2020 14:13

Snowball How about winning or losing a game on penalties?

The GAME was finished.

Also, prior to recent changes, if there was a draw, there was a replay
at the away ground. So THEN the game was a draw, unequivocally.

One side eventually wins the TIE, but didn't win the GAME.

If you look back at Reading games where we drew home or away
and then had a replay, the record will show D, yes?

Now, they add an immediate extra-time, it's NOT a D?

And this year, where they have a 90-minute finish, and if THAT is a draw, penalties?

Well as Ian has shown us a game decided on penalties seems to be recorded as the final score (eg 2-2) and then the score on pens as a separate result. There are clearly multiple differences between a period of extra time and a penalty shoot out. Extra time is a simple extension of the initial 90 mins - goals scored are recognised, subs can be made and count as appearances ...
In terms of whether we have lost every game against Arsenal we have never taken them to penalties or a replay have we ?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 29 Dec 2020 21:15

Not good...

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Dec 2020 11:54

We could probably do with a few cancellations at the moment, giving more time for our walking wounded to recover.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2020 11:59

South Coast Royal We could probably do with a few cancellations at the moment, giving more time for our walking wounded to recover.

Down side of that is the back end of the season stacks up and makes it more likely to get more injuries at the business end of the season.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Dec 2020 12:00

Worth pointing out that in contrast to the horrendous pitch at the Madejski - Swansea have had a brand new pitch laid this week. Which can only be a good thing, right?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Dec 2020 12:13

royalp-we Worth pointing out that in contrast to the horrendous pitch at the Madejski - Swansea have had a brand new pitch laid this week. Which can only be a good thing, right?

Given the state of Brentford’s new pitch I’m not convinced. Even London Irish are complaining about the pitch...

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Dec 2020 12:23

royalp-we Worth pointing out that in contrast to the horrendous pitch at the Madejski - Swansea have had a brand new pitch laid this week. Which can only be a good thing, right?

Well if it is a decent quality surface I think it well help us a lot. Suits the quick passing we like to employ when things are going well.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Dec 2020 12:50

After relaying a pitch the first couple of games maybe a bit iffy for both clubs, however Swansea players will be used to the idiosyncrasies of the previous pitch which might take a couple of games for them to get over so it might help Reading a bit more than Swansea - and Reading need all the help they can get.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 Dec 2020 15:03

royalp-we Not good...

He needs to charge his phone

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Dec 2020 15:24

Our record at Swansea since our last win there in 2001 is draw one, lose one.

We drew there last season.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 Dec 2020 15:34

ok, I've just put a tenner on us to win at 11/4.

Surprisingly poor odds tbh.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Dec 2020 15:55

LUX ok, I've just put a tenner on us to win at 11/4.

Surprisingly poor odds tbh.

They are poor odds.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 30 Dec 2020 16:03

From ITK Eddie on Twitter:

According to his Instagram, Lucas Joao has not travelled with the squad to Swansea. The club are aiming to have him available (likely on the bench) within the next week.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Dec 2020 17:13

morganb From ITK Eddie on Twitter:

According to his Instagram, Lucas Joao has not travelled with the squad to Swansea. The club are aiming to have him available (likely on the bench) within the next week.

This isn’t going to end well is it? Any chance of a sudden Covid breakout or 10 foot of snow falling on the pitch in the next 2 hours?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Dec 2020 17:36

Sutekh
morganb From ITK Eddie on Twitter:

This isn’t going to end well is it? Any chance of a sudden Covid breakout or 10 foot of snow falling on the pitch in the next 2 hours?

Baldock has been on steroids all week and is eight inches taller

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 30 Dec 2020 17:48

royalp-we Not good...

Hmm.. so hows he been in contact with someone? Aren't players supposed to be in a bubble? And if he has caught it very much a real threat of an outbreak.

429 posts