MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (a) sponsored by a no pressure game

429 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (a) sponsored by a no pressure game

by RoyalBlue » 01 Jan 2021 13:46

Mid Sussex Royal My view is we've def got a strong chance of the play offs IF we have better luck with injuries. Our form is basically mid table since we started having injury issues but because of our start we have maintained a play off place, if we continue mid table form though we will end up at best top 10. Its clear the three relegated sides, who have had similar injury issues to ourselves, have had the back up squad wise to cope, what is not so clear is how Brentford and Swansea would cope assuming they have squads of similar size to us.

Take Ayew/Lowe out of Swansea for a month and Toney/Mbuemo out of Brentford plus a couple of other regular starters and they would both struggle.

Need to use the next week after Hudds to rest most of the squad - I'd just play Swift and Richards and maybe Joao on the bench next week in the cup and give everyone else time off.

I reckon the whole squad may get longer off. I was amazed to learn that up until now Championship Squads don't appear to have been tested for Covid19. The measures now being introduced by the EFL could be shutting the stable doors after a considerable number of horses have bolted. Given how rife Covid19 now is, I'd be surprised if there aren't now positive tests in quite a few squads across the EFL.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 01 Jan 2021 14:06

Mid Sussex Royal
Need to use the next week after Hudds to rest most of the squad - I'd just play Swift and Richards and maybe Joao on the bench next week in the cup and give everyone else time off.

No way risk Joao, Swift or Richards in the Cup. Hope the former is fit for Hudds, then cotton wool.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jan 2021 17:48

Brilliant result solid performance from our reserves get a draw and clean sheet against one of the best teams in the league.

Looking forward to a second peak from the boys when back from injury and when it matters most.

URZZZZ

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 02 Jan 2021 00:14

RoyalBlue
Mid Sussex Royal My view is we've def got a strong chance of the play offs IF we have better luck with injuries. Our form is basically mid table since we started having injury issues but because of our start we have maintained a play off place, if we continue mid table form though we will end up at best top 10. Its clear the three relegated sides, who have had similar injury issues to ourselves, have had the back up squad wise to cope, what is not so clear is how Brentford and Swansea would cope assuming they have squads of similar size to us.

Take Ayew/Lowe out of Swansea for a month and Toney/Mbuemo out of Brentford plus a couple of other regular starters and they would both struggle.

I reckon the whole squad may get longer off. I was amazed to learn that up until now Championship Squads don't appear to have been tested for Covid19. The measures now being introduced by the EFL could be shutting the stable doors after a considerable number of horses have bolted. Given how rife Covid19 now is, I'd be surprised if there aren't now positive tests in quite a few squads across the EFL.

Yep it's a worry for sure.

It would be so Reading to get into the automatic promotion spots and then watch the season be cancelled!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jan 2021 09:28

bcubed
RoyalBlue

It would be so Reading to get into the automatic promotion spots and then watch the season be cancelled!

I doubt the season would be cancelled though. Precedent has been set for ppg.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 02 Jan 2021 09:32

Pepe the Horseman
bcubed
RoyalBlue

Yep I know but where's the comedy in that? :)

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jan 2021 09:50

bcubed
Pepe the Horseman
bcubed

I'm sure we'd find a way to finish third on ppg, having been second when the season finished.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jan 2021 09:53

Pepe the Horseman
bcubed
Pepe the Horseman I doubt the season would be cancelled though. Precedent has been set for ppg.

I'm sure we'd find a way to finish third on ppg, having been second when the season finished.

It’ll be down to other clubs having games in hand due to COVID outbreaks, where as we won’t, play the maximum number of games and get stuffed on ppg. :wink:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Jan 2021 10:17

Pepe the Horseman
bcubed
RoyalBlue

They shoulda canceled the season after Game 8... and ppg...

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jan 2021 10:17

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman
bcubed Yep I know but where's the comedy in that? :)

It’ll be down to other clubs having games in hand due to COVID outbreaks, where as we won’t, play the maximum number of games and get stuffed on ppg. :wink:

Sounds about right.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 02 Jan 2021 10:19

Pepe the Horseman
Hendo
Pepe the Horseman I'm sure we'd find a way to finish third on ppg, having been second when the season finished.

Sounds about right.

Now we're talking!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Apr 2021 12:09

Snowball
South Coast Royal
Snowball You can get 85/1 for Reading to be champions. Amazing!

20/1 for autos

16/1 to win the POs

10/1 for promotion

5/2 for top six

I think these are amazing odds and far too generous

Pre-season I got 25/1 (Skybet) about us for promotion, i.e. either for top 2 or through play-offs , a price which was about right, as is the 10/1 now.

From what I have seen and taking off RTGs for Reading (and whatever the opposite of RTG is for Bournemouth) I now feel that Brentford and Bournemouth are the two sides to finish in the top 2.
I do have a kind of Judas bet on Bournemouth to win the division and another for promotion.

We keep on saying about when so-and-so is fit etc. but our fitness record is grim (for whatever reasons) and our two star goalscorers both are susceptible to injuries and are both unlikely to play in all of the remaining fixtures-they are both so important to the way we play.

So for me it is play-offs at best but I suspect now a 7th or 8th place finish which, bearing in mind the recent seasons, would be a success and quite acceptable.

I respect Snowball's and other opinions although he is always overly optimistic IMHO-it's probably because he is not Reading through and through and inherently downbeat like those of us that are. :wink:

I think 6th the minimum for Reading because

(a) We are there, two points clear

(b) Some of our defeats were "crazy" (Stoke, Bournemouth maybe Preston)
and we conceded appalling goals. We will get better. We could EASILY be
three points higher, Stoke for example.

(c) None of the clubs below us have any real class

(d) All of the clubs below us are inconsistent.

My dark horse for 6th is BARNSLEY

That was a discussion on January 1st, 2021, and, as things stand, it's Barnsley who have pushed us out of 6th place.

TBF we deserve 7th, not 6th

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Apr 2021 12:16

Snowball
Snowball
South Coast Royal
Pre-season I got 25/1 (Skybet) about us for promotion, i.e. either for top 2 or through play-offs , a price which was about right, as is the 10/1 now.

From what I have seen and taking off RTGs for Reading (and whatever the opposite of RTG is for Bournemouth) I now feel that Brentford and Bournemouth are the two sides to finish in the top 2.
I do have a kind of Judas bet on Bournemouth to win the division and another for promotion.

We keep on saying about when so-and-so is fit etc. but our fitness record is grim (for whatever reasons) and our two star goalscorers both are susceptible to injuries and are both unlikely to play in all of the remaining fixtures-they are both so important to the way we play.

So for me it is play-offs at best but I suspect now a 7th or 8th place finish which, bearing in mind the recent seasons, would be a success and quite acceptable.

I respect Snowball's and other opinions although he is always overly optimistic IMHO-it's probably because he is not Reading through and through and inherently downbeat like those of us that are. :wink:

That was a discussion on January 1st, 2021, and, as things stand, it's Barnsley who have pushed us out of 6th place.

Don't disagree with your assessment but Barnsley are a horrible team and deserve nothing. Try hard cloggers par excellence.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Apr 2021 12:19

bcubed
Snowball
Snowball

Don't disagree with your assessment but Barnsley are a horrible team and deserve nothing. Try hard cloggers par excellence.

Totally agree. They should be docked 15 points for crimes against football.

I hate watching them, and Saturday's "goal" just about sums them up.

This ISN'T "sour grapes". I don't mind clubs punching above their weight and I was cheering for them when the managed last season's great escape. Bu the last 33 or so games the way they have played anti-football has been unpleasant.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Apr 2021 12:22

Snowball
bcubed
Snowball

This ISN'T "sour grapes". I don't mind clubs punching above their weight and I was cheering for them when the managed last season's great escape. Bu the last 33 or so games the way they have played anti-football has been unpleasant.

I hope they bring that in as a new rule - Crimes against football :)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Apr 2021 12:24

Snowball
bcubed
Snowball

It isn’t the greatest to watch, no, but IMO there isn’t much wrong with getting the ball in the box at an early opportunity

Certainly different to the standard norm nowadays of just walking it in and particularly us, who do the complete opposite and always look to play it back inside. We saw the damage of actually crossing the ball in the box yesterday with both of our goals coming from it as a result

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2021 12:28

I whole heartedly back Barnsely's success.

Organised, energetic and no fun to play against. Anything else is snootiness. Which is a bit hypocritical seeing as we benefited similarly under McDermott.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Apr 2021 12:31

bcubed
Snowball
bcubed

I hope they bring that in as a new rule - Crimes against football :)

So Barnsley, Arsenal, Cardiff, any Warnock side...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Apr 2021 12:32

URZZZZ
Snowball
bcubed

It isn’t the greatest to watch, no, but IMO there isn’t much wrong with getting the ball in the box at an early opportunity

Certainly different to the standard norm nowadays of just walking it in and particularly us, who do the complete opposite and always look to play it back inside. We saw the damage of actually crossing the ball in the box yesterday with both of our goals coming from it as a result

Not worried about Long Ball, quite like it, but headless chickens and 28 Barnsley players on the near-post for corners, nah.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Apr 2021 12:33

Snowflake Royal I whole heartedly back Barnsely's success.

Organised, energetic and no fun to play against. Anything else is snootiness. Which is a bit hypocritical seeing as we benefited similarly under McDermott.

Yep, +1 here

IMO it’s what makes the Champ as good a league as it is. Different styles, different identities, each game is a different proposition to the next. As opposed to the Prem, where a lot of teams play the same way

In saying that, I do think Barnsley would struggle if they went up but good luck to them, will be cheering them on to go the whole way

429 posts