Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by Zip » 09 Jan 2021 14:11

Hound
Zip
Hound
Oh give it a rest Ian

Pauno knows what he is doing as he’s proven this season. We did enough to win with the team we had bar some poor finishing. They offered nothing much and relied on an error from one of the senior played you’d have picked

We did fine, FA Cup esp this season is a pain in the backside, and it was great to see some of the lads step up and give a good impression

Yep this. We did enough to win and I was very impressed with that second half. Lovely approach play and just not quite finishing off the many chances we created. Esteves excellent in the second period. So much better from him.

Yep Tom Mc and Esteves our two best players which is great news for their confidence

Semedo was pretty good in the dm role as well

Indeed.Luton won but they really are very poor. I thought Southwood looked composed and sharp too.
Very pleasing watching that other than the finishing but even then Luton were reliant on their keeper and woodwork. Encouraging. The defeat is neither here nor there.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2021 14:14

Pepe the Horseman
URZZZZ IMO that’s a missed opportunity

Should be using the cup either to try and progress or experiment with something new. Playing that combination on the right hand side and Baldock by himself neither helps our chances of winning as they don’t work or gives us the chance to learn something new

Puscas and Swift IMO should have been given a run out

Performance much improved in the second half mind until the subs which lost us the momentum we seemed to have generated

Swift has been out for what, three months? Then played in 3 games in a week. With his injury record would it really have been worth risking him?

Worth risking him? Absolutely not.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 09 Jan 2021 14:28

Christ we really should have won that. Thought most of the youngsters looked useful. Esteves had his best game, the Melvin-Lambert guy put himself about and I thought Onen, apart from that miss, has a lot of potential. Will have to beef up a bit though.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 Jan 2021 14:30

A strange one that.
Luton with their left-back making his first appearance for 14 months and with a mixture of first team and Reserves could have been about 4 up by half-time.

A combination of them sitting back a bit and our lads giving it more of a go and we could at least have drawn or even won the game but the finishing wasn't good enough although the young striker was the best effort but the two smashed over by Aluko and Onen didn't need to be smashed.

So what did we learn from the game?.

Southwood did very little wrong.
Tommy Mac gets stronger by the game.
Esteves, given time on the ball, is a decent attacking player.
Bristow isn't ready yet nor are the other young players.
Olise is probably staying-I wish Aluko and Baldock weren't.

Will watch with interest how strong a team the likes of Brentford, Bournemouth, Swansea and Watford put out-Norwich was a bit of a mix and match 11 and are through.

I'm a bit with Ian , although not so extreme, in thinking that the manager rather overdid the "giving a chance to youngsters bit" and I wonder how much those kids actually learned from , in most cases, probably getting their only first team action of the season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2021 14:45

South Coast Royal A strange one that.
Luton with their left-back making his first appearance for 14 months and with a mixture of first team and Reserves could have been about 4 up by half-time.

A combination of them sitting back a bit and our lads giving it more of a go and we could at least have drawn or even won the game but the finishing wasn't good enough although the young striker was the best effort but the two smashed over by Aluko and Onen didn't need to be smashed.

Will watch with interest how strong a team the likes of Brentford, Bournemouth, Swansea and Watford put out-Norwich was a bit of a mix and match 11 and are through.

I'm a bit with Ian , although not so extreme, in thinking that the manager rather overdid the "giving a chance to youngsters bit" and I wonder how much those kids actually learned from , in most cases, probably getting their only first team action of the season.

I think they will have learnt plenty as will Pauno. I didn’t see the first half but did see the second and thought we were head and shoulders the better side. Esteves was terrific. Ironically our established players didn’t impress. Olise was quiet and his set pieces disappointing, Aluko missed a sitter and Baldock as ineffective as ever. Saying that minor tweaks would make all the difference between winning and losing is simply an unknown.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 09 Jan 2021 14:48

Wow...how times change. We are knocked out of the FA Cup by Luton and some folks are pretty OK about it ??

Puskas and Swfit have played something like just ELEVEN league games this season BETWEEN THEM !!! Surely, one or both could
have played some part today ? Resting them for what ?? They are professional footballers aren't they ??

I won't apologise for upsetting those that think today was acceptable. And for those that believe today was unacceptable...I totally agree.

Poor managment. Poor choice of team. Poor finishing.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Jan 2021 14:51

Zip

I think they will have learnt plenty as will Pauno. I didn’t see the first half but did see the second and thought we were head and shoulders the better side. Esteves was terrific. Ironically our established players didn’t impress. Olise was quiet and his set pieces disappointing, Aluko missed a sitter and Baldock as ineffective as ever. Saying that minor tweaks would make all the difference between winning and losing is simply an unknown.

Harsh on Baldock, that was his best game in a Reading shirt for quite a while (years?). That turn to create his chance was really good play. I’d still only give him a 6.5 but he was more involved than normal.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 Jan 2021 14:51

Zip

We really weren't very good in that first half; not surprising seeing as the team was sort of thrown together so it took a while to settle down.
As yet IMHO none of the youngsters looked as though they are pushing for a first team start yet which in a way is a bit worrying, knowing our injury record.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2021 14:53

Who else would people have played out of interest. I’m assuming at this point in time that Puscas wasn’t available

Joao? Rino? Laurent? Ovie?

Could see an argument to play Holmes instead of Dorsett and Seift if available but otherwise really can’t see what else Pauno should have done imo

Remember we’ve just had 4 weeks of lots of games with the absolute bare bones of a first 11. We’re still missing Moore, Gibson, Araruna, Meite, Yiadom....
Last edited by Hound on 09 Jan 2021 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2021 14:55

South Coast Royal
Zip

We really weren't very good in that first half; not surprising seeing as the team was sort of thrown together so it took a while to settle down.
As yet IMHO none of the youngsters looked as though they are pushing for a first team start yet which in a way is a bit worrying, knowing our injury record.

Southwood is ready imo. Both McIntyre and Esteves were very good (let’s not forget they wouldn’t start if Yids and Moore were fit). Pendlebury looked promising.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2021 14:56

South Coast Royal
Zip

Hopefully we won’t need to play them this season if the injured lads are back

But I thought Southwood and Pendlebury were good and an option. Tetek did well. Onen maybe and option but lightweight

The others all looked to have potential and will hoepfully see them break through in the next year or so

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2021 14:57

Barney Wow...how times change. We are knocked out of the FA Cup by Luton and some folks are pretty OK about it ??

Puskas and Swfit have played something like just ELEVEN league games this season BETWEEN THEM !!! Surely, one or both could
have played some part today ? Resting them for what ?? They are professional footballers aren't they ??

I won't apologise for upsetting those that think today was acceptable. And for those that believe today was unacceptable...I totally agree.

Agreed. And Gibson, Araruna and Yiadom have played like FIVE GAMES BETWEEN THEM, why didn't they play??

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2021 14:58

Hound
South Coast Royal
Zip

Hopefully we won’t need to play them this season if the injured lads are back

But I thought Southwood and Pendlebury were good and an option. Tetek did well. Onen maybe and option but lightweight

The others all looked to have potential and will hoepfully see them break through in the next year or so

....and also they were all playing in a very inexperienced team. Stick Pendlebury into an established team and it becomes easier for him.I was encouraged by what I saw today.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2021 15:00

Hound Who else would people have played out of interest. I’m assuming at this point in time that Puscas wasn’t available

Could see an argument to play Holmes instead of Dorsett and Seift if available but otherwise really can’t see what else Pauno should have done imo

Remember we’ve just had 4 weeks of lots of games with the absolute bare bones of a first 11. We’re still missing Moore, Gibson, Araruna, Meite, Yiadom....

Have been asking this question for the last hour or so, but no one seems to have answered. Like you, assuming Puscas wasn't available, so Holmes is the only other player we could probably have risked, and I don't think he'd have had much impact on the result.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2021 15:03

Barney Wow...how times change. We are knocked out of the FA Cup by Luton and some folks are pretty OK about it ??

We have just had a huge injury crisis. Down to bare bones with a number of hamstring injuries in the squad. We all expected Puscas to play today. Let’s find out why he didn’t before toys are thrown out of the pram. As for Swift he has played in our last three games and had 60 mins in our last match. He doesn’t need to be risked ahead of a very important game v Brentford.

Besides the team Pauno picked created more than enough to win but we just lacked a striker like Puscas to finish.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2021 15:16

Slightly random and rambling story but on hols in 2019 got chatting to a chap whose kid was playing footy with my 2 (and was very good and in the Arsenal academy system)

Think the chap scouted or coached for them or something but seemed to know lots about the Reading academy and Pendlebury was the one he picked out as being the most impressive

Had forgotten about him tbh but I liked the look of him

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jan 2021 15:25

No problems at all with the result or the team put out. As others have said, some better finishing and their keeper not playing well, we’re through. I’d have also thought that Puscas was probably not ready and suffered a minor setback otherwise this game would’ve been ideal for him.

Those who are saying poor management, would probably also be saying poor management if Swift had played and got injured again, for example. “ah he’s played too much since coming back from injury, what’s Pano doing playing him in a meaningless cup game”. Sometimes you just can’t win. Coppell also had a similar view, as Pano, on the FA Cup, if memory serves me correctly.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jan 2021 15:25

Pepe the Horseman
Hound Who else would people have played out of interest. I’m assuming at this point in time that Puscas wasn’t available

Have been asking this question for the last hour or so, but no one seems to have answered. Like you, assuming Puscas wasn't available, so Holmes is the only other player we could probably have risked, and I don't think he'd have had much impact on the result.

Admittedly there wasn’t tons that Pauno could have done differently in terms of the XI. Laurent, Morrison, Rinomhota, Ejaria and Joao were rightfully no-where near the squad

I suppose I would have started Holmes, Swift and Puscas and gone with a back 5. If Puscas wasn’t available, fair enough

What I don’t quite understand is why we use players in situations we know they won’t perform in. What are we gaining from playing Esteves and Aluko on the same side? They both did OK offensively and linked up well, particularly Esteves but they’re a calamity defensively togetherm

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Jan 2021 15:25

Zip

We have just had a huge injury crisis. Down to bare bones with a number of hamstring injuries in the squad. We all expected Puscas to play today. Let’s find out why he didn’t before toys are thrown out of the pram. As for Swift he has played in our last three games and had 60 mins in our last match. He doesn’t need to be risked ahead of a very important game v Brentford.

Besides the team Pauno picked created more than enough to win but we just lacked a striker like Puscas to finish.

The problem with the side picked was it really sent the message that we weren't serious about winning. And that's what it looked like from the start. Only after we went behind did we start to play with any conviction.

Perhaps a slightly stronger team and/or experienced subs would have lifted the team a little. Holmes plus McIntyre would have given us a much better defence with only one new youngster.

Maybe it was a case of the new players getting used to each other befire clicking. So a stronger team from the outset could have started quicker instead of being over run by an eager Luton

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jan 2021 15:31

Pepe the Horseman
URZZZZ IMO that’s a missed opportunity

Should be using the cup either to try and progress or experiment with something new. Playing that combination on the right hand side and Baldock by himself neither helps our chances of winning as they don’t work or gives us the chance to learn something new

Puscas and Swift IMO should have been given a run out

Performance much improved in the second half mind until the subs which lost us the momentum we seemed to have generated

Swift has been out for what, three months? Then played in 3 games in a week. With his injury record would it really have been worth risking him?

I would agree with you if we had a midweek game either preceding this one or following this one but we don’t

It’d have been good IMO to get another 60 minutes under his belt considering the two week break he’ll now have between the two league games just to get match sharpness up etc

Not overreacting to the result mind. It’s disappointing but we created the better chances and played relatively well in the second half. IIRC there was a lot of overreaction to the LC defeat against them and it hasn’t turned out too bad. What disappoints me is our returning injured players (if applicable) not getting game time and instead using players in roles they’ve consistently struggled in this season

303 posts