MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

303 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by Sutekh » 04 Jan 2021 13:36

FACup 3rd Round Saturday 9 January, kick off - 12 noon

A trip to Kenilwirth Road in the cup next. Bit of an odd one at the moment with the virus outbreak at Luton (affecting players, club officials and staff plus their families) meaning they may be forced to withdraw from the competition or play a much weakened team that may even be more weakened than you would expect for a domestic cup game - for the record the FA have stated if that if a club has 14 “fit” players then the game should be played.

Further to that all 64 remaining clubs in the competition will undergo further virus testing during this week to see exactly where each club is by the end of the week.

On the game side of things, Reading, as we know, are certainly going to field a weakened side with a few youngsters bulking out the line up. Personally I’d anticipate something like

Southwood
Esteves
Dorsett
Holmes
Bristow
Laurent
Semedo
Aluko
Swift
Puscas
Baldock

Maybe Onen (if his isolation period is over in time) and Melvin-Lambert might be considered and Tetek too should he be fit (I’m presuming he is or has been injured given his recent absences from the squad) but I’m not sure VP would want to play too much of a weakened side as a cup run would help at the moment with giving game time to those players coming back from injury such as Swift, Puscas plus maybe Araruna, Meite and Yiadom in later rounds.

Refereeing this one is Mr Bond, Darren Bond who previously took care of the 4-2 defeat at Bournemouth.

Only the one FA Cup tie played between the two clubs previously and that was a 2-1 win for Luton at Kenilworth Road back in the the cup second round 7 December 1963, so there is something to avenge :lol:

4th Round draw will be in 11th January.

If this game is played, how do I watch it?

As the FA Cup is not a football league competition it’s unlikely to be on ifollow, however all 32 ties are to be screened live in the UK. As I understand it eight of the games will be shown live on TV, on BBC One or BT Sport 1 while, according to The Sun, the remaining 24 fixtures will be available for viewing on the BBC iPlayer, Red Button or Facebook Watch. For those with a BT Sport subscription the game is on BT Sport Extra 6.
Last edited by Sutekh on 05 Jan 2021 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by Hound » 04 Jan 2021 13:49

something like

Southwood
Watson McIntyre Dorsett Bristow
Tetek East
Swift Onen
Puscas Baldock

in some sort of formation that suits them

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Jan 2021 14:37

What a pity that the competition is treated with even greater insignificance this season, downgraded to the level of the League Cup.
A once great competition reduced to not much more than a bit of a kickabout.

I would sooner it had been cancelled for this season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jan 2021 14:42

Hound something like

Southwood
Tetek East
Swift Onen
Puscas Baldock

Is Tetek fit? Would go with something like this but maybe Aluko in for Swift.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Jan 2021 14:49

I’d like to see a full second string. Don’t really care about winning. Protect the important players and give some of the better youngsters a taste of match action.

Southwood; Watson, Dorsett, Abbey, Bristow; Semedo, East; Onen/Aluko, Lawless, Baldock; Puscas

Expect McIntyre, Esteves and Swift will play and probably Richards too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2021 14:56

Zip
Hound something like

Southwood
Tetek East
Swift Onen
Puscas Baldock

dunno if Tetek is fit. Swift only playing to get more match fitness. idea is he is 100% able to last 90 mins if required vs brentford. He clearly wasn't on saturday

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 04 Jan 2021 15:19

SCIAG I’d like to see a full second string. Don’t really care about winning. Protect the important players and give some of the better youngsters a taste of match action.

Southwood; Watson, Dorsett, Abbey, Bristow; Semedo, East; Onen/Aluko, Lawless, Baldock; Puscas

Agree. Hope Richards doesn't play.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Jan 2021 15:52

Hound
Zip
Hound something like

Southwood
Tetek East
Swift Onen
Puscas Baldock

dunno if Tetek is fit. Swift only playing to get more match fitness. idea is he is 100% able to last 90 mins if required vs brentford. He clearly wasn't on saturday

Would be surprised if Esteves doesn't start given he's not first choice RB, even without Yiadom and Araruna in the squad. Ditto Semedo

Hopefully with the likes of Baldock, Puscas, Aluko, Semedo starting etc, we'll have enough to beat Luton. Granted, we lost against them in the League Cup with our second team but that was a weird shape that night
Need to keep the likes of those mentioned above sharp and match ready in the event we suffer more injuries in the second half of the season, so I think a win would greatly benefit us

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2021 15:58

Esteves has played pretty much every game for us though hasn't he? Even if not a starter. Still must be tiring travelling around everywhere etc

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2021 16:38

SCIAG I’d like to see a full second string. Don’t really care about winning. Protect the important players and give some of the better youngsters a taste of match action.

Southwood; Watson, Dorsett, Abbey, Bristow, Semedo, East, Onen, Lawless, Baldock, Puscas

Not far off what I would expect. I would favour playing an entire U23 side but can see the likes of Richards, Swift and Puscas playing some part as they are coming back from injury and it might be good for their fitness.

The carrot for the U23 side is that if by some miracle they win, they will get more game time in the round of 32, as we simply cannot risk many of our stars in an FA Cup run if we are to mount a serious bid for a top 6 finish.

In any case I like seeing our youngsters play against a proper opposition as we can then see who might be able to step up in the months/years ahead.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jan 2021 17:00

andrew1957

Southwood; Watson, Dorsett, Abbey, Bristow, Semedo, East, Onen, Lawless, Baldock, Puscas

Not far off what I would expect. I would favour playing an entire U23 side but can see the likes of Richards, Swift and Puscas playing some part as they are coming back from injury and it might be good for their fitness.

The carrot for the U23 side is that if by some miracle they win, they will get more game time in the round of 32, as we simply cannot risk many of our stars in an FA Cup run if we are to mount a serious bid for a top 6 finish.

In any case I like seeing our youngsters play against a prfoper opposition as we can then see who might be able to step up in the months/years ahead.

Can we tell much from putting a load of youngsters out ? Chances are that as a team they will struggle and we’ll have no real,clue about how an individual would look alongside 10 better and more experienced players. I think you need a core of firstbteam squad players to give the youngsters half a chance to show their worth.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2021 17:28

Nameless
andrew1957

In any case I like seeing our youngsters play against a proper opposition as we can then see who might be able to step up in the months/years ahead.

Can we tell much from putting a load of youngsters out ? Chances are that as a team they will struggle and we’ll have no real clue about how an individual would look alongside 10 better and more experienced players. I think you need a core of first team squad players to give the youngsters half a chance to show their worth.

Irrespective of that point we just cannot risk many of our injury ravaged first team squad in this game except to gain fitness (say Puscas). It would be crazy to play the likes of Jaoa etc in case of injury if we are to have a real chance of promotion. I would much prefer all our star players to have two weeks off to recuperate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2021 19:52

Fairly strong side to start with a blend of reserve for me. I want them to win because I want the younger lads to get more game time. And some our players are only just back and could use the minutes.

Something like:

...................Southwood
Esteves, Holmes, McIntyre, Bristow
...................Semedo, Swift
....Aluko,.........Olise, ..........Baldock
........................Puscas

Cabral, Richards, Dorsett, Watson, East, Onen, Melvin-Lambert, Lawless, Ejaria

If I knew which of the youth were ok at LW I might put them in for Baldock as he's not ideal there.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 09 Jan 2021 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jan 2021 19:58

Snowflake Royal Fairly strong side to start with a blend of reserve for me. I want them to win because I want the younger lads to get more game time. And some our players are only just back and could use the minutes.

Something like:

...................Southwood
Esteves, Holmes, McIntyre, Bristow
...................Semedo, Swift
....Aluko,.........Olise, ..........Baldock
........................Puscas

Cabral, Richards, Dorsett, Watson, East, Onen, Melvin-Lambert, Lawless, Ejaria

If I knew which of the youth were ok at LW I might put them in for Baldock as he's not ideal there.

Probably agree with much of that team although absolutely no point having Rafael on the bench - we’ve got several young keepers who can cover that. I’d also give Ejaria the week off.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 05 Jan 2021 10:10

Ideally i'd start with anyone who was on the bench on Saturday plus any injured players returning, but reading JLow's article it doesn't appear as though Gibson or Yiadom will be fit for Saturday.

Normally i'd want a stronger lineup, but the league is the priority and we've suffered enough injuries in league games, don't want anyone to pick up an injury in a cup game. It'll be interesting to see what the bench is like as can't really see many first team players being involved if they're not starting.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jan 2021 12:25

I wouldn’t even want to play Holmes for risk of injury. Put it that way.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jan 2021 13:14

KC Royal Ideally i'd start with anyone who was on the bench on Saturday plus any injured players returning, but reading JLow's article it doesn't appear as though Gibson or Yiadom will be fit for Saturday.

Normally i'd want a stronger lineup, but the league is the priority and we've suffered enough injuries in league games, don't want anyone to pick up an injury in a cup game. It'll be interesting to see what the bench is like as can't really see many first team players being involved if they're not starting.

Think many of us would actually quite like this one postponed and to receive a bye.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2021 13:52

Sutekh
KC Royal Ideally i'd start with anyone who was on the bench on Saturday plus any injured players returning, but reading JLow's article it doesn't appear as though Gibson or Yiadom will be fit for Saturday.

Think many of us would actually quite like this one postponed and to receive a bye.

nah, would be better to get some minutes into the b team/Swift/Puscas

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2021 07:42

Hound
Sutekh

nah, would be better to get some minutes into the b team/Swift/Puscas
and the academy lads.

Delboy

by Delboy » 06 Jan 2021 12:12

Luton plat rearranged game v QPR Tuesday we do not play until Saturday guess they will play a weaker team in fa cup

303 posts