MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (h)

371 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (h)

by Zip » 19 Jan 2021 22:09

windermereROYAL
Zip Pauno suggesting Olise could be out for a long while. It didn’t look too bad.

Probably till Feb 1st.

That would do.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Jan 2021 22:13

We didn’t get out of second gear tonight, Coventry made it incredibly easy for us. They played like it was August and they just came up in May. They clearly had the momentum, played well but they made so many key mistakes both ends of the pitch an experienced championship outfit like us will always punish them for it.

We on the other hand lacked a Liam Moore I think tonight looked a bit suspect defensively, players understandably looked rusty having not played in so long, got a lot better as time went on. Scored some nice goals. Roll on Saturday.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Jan 2021 22:18

Zip
windermereROYAL
Zip Pauno suggesting Olise could be out for a long while. It didn’t look too bad.

Probably till Feb 1st.

That would do.

8)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jan 2021 22:21

TiagoIlori We didn’t get out of second gear tonight, Coventry made it incredibly easy for us. They played like it was August and they just came up in May. They clearly had the momentum, played well but they made so many key mistakes both ends of the pitch an experienced championship outfit like us will always punish them for it.

We on the other hand lacked a Liam Moore I think tonight looked a bit suspect defensively, players understandably looked rusty having not played in so long, got a lot better as time went on. Scored some nice goals. Roll on Saturday.

You might want to roll on until Sunday.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 19 Jan 2021 22:37

Zip Pauno suggesting Olise could be out for a long while. It didn’t look too bad. It effectively ensures he won’t be moving anywhere this month though.
Meite and Yids back at the end of the month. Moore next month.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I reckon he'll be back fit very early next month.

royalp-we Probably a good time to bring up how good the recruitment has been. All of Ejaria, Swift, Olise, Meite, Aluko and Semedo are almost all rotational. We haven’t got the biggest first team squad, but we truly do have players who can play a number of positions compared to some of those around us.

Since Jan 2019 every transfer bar Virginia has been a hit for me (maybe Ezatolahi due to injury as well, with Pele & Boye being neutral), which is a ridiculous record.

Free transfers:
Yids
Adam
Morrison
Rafa
Araruna
Laurent

Promoted from Academy:
Holmes
Olise
McIntyre
Rino
Richards

Fees:
Ejaria (£2.5m)
Joao (£5.0m)
Puscas (£6.5m)

Loans:
Oliveira
Ejaria x2
Baker
Miazga x2
Martinez
Gibson
Semedo
Estevez

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Jan 2021 22:45

Zip
TiagoIlori We didn’t get out of second gear tonight, Coventry made it incredibly easy for us. They played like it was August and they just came up in May. They clearly had the momentum, played well but they made so many key mistakes both ends of the pitch an experienced championship outfit like us will always punish them for it.

You might want to roll on until Sunday.

Good idea, I forget we get picked on tv more often now.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Jan 2021 22:45

TiagoIlori We didn’t get out of second gear tonight,

Yet again. This team lacks the overall work rate and intensity to perform at a consistant level week in week out.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 19 Jan 2021 22:47

Lower West

Yet again. This team lacks the overall work rate and intensity to perform at a consistant level week in week out.

:|

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jan 2021 22:48

Chameleon
Zip Pauno suggesting Olise could be out for a long while. It didn’t look too bad. It effectively ensures he won’t be moving anywhere this month though.
Meite and Yids back at the end of the month. Moore next month.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I reckon he'll be back fit very early next month.

royalp-we Probably a good time to bring up how good the recruitment has been. All of Ejaria, Swift, Olise, Meite, Aluko and Semedo are almost all rotational. We haven’t got the biggest first team squad, but we truly do have players who can play a number of positions compared to some of those around us.

Since Jan 2019 every transfer bar Virginia has been a hit for me (maybe Ezatolahi due to injury as well, with Pele & Boye being neutral), which is a ridiculous record.

Free transfers:
Yids
Adam
Morrison
Rafa
Araruna
Laurent

Promoted from Academy:
Holmes
Olise
McIntyre
Rino
Richards

Fees:
Ejaria (£2.5m)
Joao (£5.0m)
Puscas (£6.5m)

Loans:
Oliveira
Ejaria x2
Baker
Miazga x2
Martinez
Gibson
Semedo
Estevez

Yep it’s been massively improved. We need to ensure that all the good work isn’t thrown away. The likes of McIntyre, Tetek, Southwood and Morrison could leave in frees if we are not careful. Losing Richards for nothing is annoying.
We need new deals in place for the others

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Jan 2021 00:04

WoodleyRoyal
Lower West

Noticeable how Coventry as other teams have done this season. Attempted to exploit the acres of space behind Ejaria and Olise. Keeping players wide on both wings. We are defensively better with Meite in the team. As he puts a real shift in, dropping back.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2021 00:37

Comfortable victory in the end, but could have been all so different had Coventry had taken one of their early chances. They were a decent enough side in periods of the game but felt they were too naive and gave away too many opportunities, they caused a lot of self inflicted damage without us having to create too much

8 - Rinomhota Joao
7 - Morrison McIntyre Laurent Olise Swift Ejaria
6 - Rafael Esteves Tetek Semedo Aluko
5 - Richards
4- Holmes Baldock

Felt Olise was the pick of our midfield attacking three, without really causing too many opportunities in the final third whereas Swift was the opposite. Ejaria also improved today on his recent limp performances

Still really unsure about Holmes as a FB - never really viewed him as a viable option there other than filling in for the odd game or two. Not good enough with the ball - almost treats the ball as a hot potato, and his positioning off the ball is suspect too. Think he'll be a solid CB for us but would prefer this experiment to end now with him playing FB

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Jan 2021 07:18

Couple of things :

1. I really, really want to be able to like what Aluko and Baldock bring to the team but they do make it difficult. Not so much Aluko last night, although he wasn’t particularly good, but poor Sam. Clearly, he doesn’t intend to be crap but he’s definitely achieving it. He tries so hard, but his confidence looks so shot.

2. If I’ve understood correctly, our starting 11 was 5 academy products, 4 free transfers plus and Joao. Yet we hear the rubbish about the amount we’ve spent. Maybe someone can put me right if I’ve got that wrong

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 20 Jan 2021 07:44

WoodleyRoyal
Lower West

actually agree with this, more often than not we start slowly and allow the opposition to run the show. Usually means Pauno gives them a rocket up the arse at half time, and they come out and pressure a lot more. They need to take control of games from the start rather than give other teams confidence because on another day we would have been 2 nil down and lost that game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2021 08:08

Franchise FC Couple of things :

1. I really, really want to be able to like what Aluko and Baldock bring to the team but they do make it difficult. Not so much Aluko last night, although he wasn’t particularly good, but poor Sam. Clearly, he doesn’t intend to be crap but he’s definitely achieving it. He tries so hard, but his confidence looks so shot.

2. If I’ve understood correctly, our starting 11 was 5 academy products, 4 free transfers plus and Joao. Yet we hear the rubbish about the amount we’ve spent. Maybe someone can put me right if I’ve got that wrong

1 yes. Though I think Aluko was worse than Baldock yesterday, ridiculous miss aside. I’m not sure he did anything right whilst Baldock actually did some good stuff. That miss though....

2. You’re missing 3m Ejaria but yes other than that. Highlighted this a few times this season. If it hadn’t been for Gourlays destruction of our accounts 3 years ago we’d be being praised for the way we’ve built the side

And probs whilst we still have Baldock and Aluko the costs spent will still be mentioned
Last edited by Hound on 20 Jan 2021 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2021 08:08

URZZZZ Comfortable victory in the end, but could have been all so different had Coventry had taken one of their early chances. They were a decent enough side in periods of the game but felt they were too naive and gave away too many opportunities, they caused a lot of self inflicted damage without us having to create too much

8 - Rinomhota Joao
7 - Morrison McIntyre Laurent Olise Swift Ejaria
6 - Rafael Esteves Tetek Semedo Aluko
5 - Richards
4- Holmes Baldock

Felt Olise was the pick of our midfield attacking three, without really causing too many opportunities in the final third whereas Swift was the opposite. Ejaria also improved today on his recent limp performances

Still really unsure about Holmes as a FB - never really viewed him as a viable option there other than filling in for the odd game or two. Not good enough with the ball - almost treats the ball as a hot potato, and his positioning off the ball is suspect too. Think he'll be a solid CB for us but would prefer this experiment to end now with him playing FB

Why a 5 for Richards? I notice he made 9 successful tackles yesterday, the most of any of our players in any game this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2021 08:10

I thought Richards was really poor by his standards. That Dabo had plenty of joy and got lots of crosses in

Not sure winning tackles is a great measure of a performance

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2021 08:13

Well I just want to focus on Swift for a minute. Free kick aside he played well but did anyone else find it interesting that our number 10 was frequently the deepest of our midfielders? Pauno has given him a lot of freedom to roam it seems and, actually, I think it works. It allows everyone to push a bit further forward as opposition players know he can pick a pass and they know Joao can get on the end of long balls with ease. They have to press him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2021 08:15

Hound I thought Richards was really poor by his standards. That Dabo had plenty of joy and got lots of crosses in

Yeah I agree Dabo did very well. Good at crossing that guy. Think he got 3 very nice crossess off before anyone could close him down?

I wasn't suggesting that but it does indicate a certain level of defensive solidity surely? Attempting 10 tackles and winning 9 of them?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Jan 2021 08:16

Can't stop watching that free kick. Is it the best free kick we've ever scored?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2021 08:35

NewCorkSeth
Hound I thought Richards was really poor by his standards. That Dabo had plenty of joy and got lots of crosses in

Yeah I agree Dabo did very well. Good at crossing that guy. Think he got 3 very nice crossess off before anyone could close him down?

I wasn't suggesting that but it does indicate a certain level of defensive solidity surely? Attempting 10 tackles and winning 9 of them?

yes, it does suggest he made a better number of defensive contributions than I thought. He gave away a couple of pretty poor free kicks as well if I remember rightly, along with one which should have been given that wasn't

He improved second half, but I thought he was v poor first.

371 posts