MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (h)

371 posts
Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Coventry City (h)

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jan 2021 09:32

URZZZZ
Franchise FC Couple of things :

1. I really, really want to be able to like what Aluko and Baldock bring to the team but they do make it difficult. Not so much Aluko last night, although he wasn’t particularly good, but poor Sam. Clearly, he doesn’t intend to be crap but he’s definitely achieving it. He tries so hard, but his confidence looks so shot.

2. If I’ve understood correctly, our starting 11 was 5 academy products, 4 free transfers plus and Joao. Yet we hear the rubbish about the amount we’ve spent. Maybe someone can put me right if I’ve got that wrong

What Baldock has going for him is his work rate as you say, which, I admit isn’t much. I see a use for him, similar to the way McDermott utilised Church in our promotion season. If we’re holding onto a lead, bring him on and let him run around, whereas if we’re chasing a goal, don’t bring him on anywhere near the pitch

Aluko is different, I don’t think he is particularly useful off the bench whereas I think he does more of a job starting. The problem he has his is his best performances coincide with him playing central (IIRC he’s played one game there - Watford - which was far and away his best performance this season). At best he’s 4th choice there now (behind Swift, Semedo and Olise) and so he’s often shifted out to the wing which then highlights his defensive weaknesses as RB is arguably our weakest position at the moment

Neither will be here next season barring a miraculous run of form for the rest of the season regardless

The most frustrating thing with Baldock and Aluko, they get into great positions, off the ball movement is great and that alone causes defenders issues....... Just when the ball gets to them they have is a Space Jam moment and all the talent disappears.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2021 09:39

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ Just scaring away any Bayern scouts who inevitably read HNA :wink:

It did cross my mind that anyone watching him yesterday would have been pretty unimpressed. Hopefully.

As people have said, Dabo looked a threat for them, put in some decent crosses. IIRC he was decent for them back in October too, think he was the one with the shot which Rafael parried for their second goal

Although if Richards does join Bayern (and if he ever plays) he’d be up against the likes of Sancho who may be a slight upgrade on Dabo

Luckily Sancho doesn't play RWB very often :wink:

It is interesting that in both games we noticed Dabo to have played well yet he has no assists this season. Their strikers must be very poor.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2021 10:36

Westwood52
Snowflake Royal
Bristol Paul actually agree with this, more often than not we start slowly and allow the opposition to run the show. Usually means Pauno gives them a rocket up the arse at half time, and they come out and pressure a lot more. They need to take control of games from the start rather than give other teams confidence because on another day we would have been 2 nil down and lost that game.

It's getting to the point you have to wonder if it's a deliberate attempt to get teams to play on the front foot so we can hit them in the break and give Joao room to run in behind.

Dangerous game.

Good performance, slow start and Cov should have been up by at least 1 before we were (missed first few minutes). But we always looked dangerous and cov fell apart at 2-0.

Cabral - 7 not called upon a huge amount. Beaten on a couple of efforts they couldn't tuck away, but wouldn't expect a save
Holmes - 7 obviously missed an early horror show because he was fine otherwise. Superb movement and cross beat him for their attempt just before we scored because he was caught moving the line up. Good going forward, peach of a cross, good run. Got away with one and struggles with pace
Richards - 7 torrid time against Dabo, gets help from Ejaria but it's often not great help, not as strong going forward
McIntyre - 8 everywhere
Morrison - 8 commanding
Rino - 8 +1 for the goal, real unspectacular water carrier for the side. Love him for it
Laurent - 8 what a find, runs midfield
Swift - 9 peach of a ball for Joao and great fk.
Olise - 8 had his man on toast all game and worked hard
Ejaria - 8 properly shined his twinkle toes before the game, super unlucky not to score goal of the season
Joao - 8 Joao seems to amble around lazily most the game and then wins it for you with some brilliance.

Esteves - 6 didn't do a huge amount and the game was over moments after he came on
Semedo - 7 lots of good stuff in the middle
Aluko - 6 didn't really seem to do a lot but the game was won
Baldock - 5 -1 for the shot. Lots of effort, not enough quality
Tetek - 7 very involved, lots of good movement and touches

If 6 is average ,you have given some high scores there.7 for Tom Holmes is very high.Borderline 4,but I would give him a 5 for the cross.Estevez to start Sunday.TBF to the lad he is learning his trade and will slip in and out of form.I thought McIntyre was very good last night,but he has had a couple of stinkers.

We won 3-0. I didn't seem Holmes make a single major mistake.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Jan 2021 10:36

Snowflake Royal
Westwood52
Snowflake Royal It's getting to the point you have to wonder if it's a deliberate attempt to get teams to play on the front foot so we can hit them in the break and give Joao room to run in behind.

Dangerous game.

Good performance, slow start and Cov should have been up by at least 1 before we were (missed first few minutes). But we always looked dangerous and cov fell apart at 2-0.

Cabral - 7 not called upon a huge amount. Beaten on a couple of efforts they couldn't tuck away, but wouldn't expect a save
Holmes - 7 obviously missed an early horror show because he was fine otherwise. Superb movement and cross beat him for their attempt just before we scored because he was caught moving the line up. Good going forward, peach of a cross, good run. Got away with one and struggles with pace
Richards - 7 torrid time against Dabo, gets help from Ejaria but it's often not great help, not as strong going forward
McIntyre - 8 everywhere
Morrison - 8 commanding
Rino - 8 +1 for the goal, real unspectacular water carrier for the side. Love him for it
Ejaria - 8 properly shined his twinkle toes before the game, super unlucky not to score goal of the season
Joao - 8 Joao seems to amble around lazily most the game and then wins it for you with some brilliance.

Esteves - 6 didn't do a huge amount and the game was over moments after he came on

If 6 is average ,you have given some high scores there.7 for Tom Holmes is very high.Borderline 4,but I would give him a 5 for the cross.Estevez to start Sunday.TBF to the lad he is learning his trade and will slip in and out of form.I thought McIntyre was very good last night,but he has had a couple of stinkers.

That might be because you didn't watch the whole game and missed the 10 minutes where he looked like he was barely a Sunday league footballer?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2021 10:38

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Westwood52

That might be because you didn't watch the whole game and missed the 10 minutes where he looked like he was barely a Sunday league footballer?

I'm quite clear what I watched, I can hardly judge him on what I'm not aware of, and 10 minutes vs 35, I'll go with the 35 I saw.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2021 10:42

Fair to say if Esteves had produced that backpass or even losing that chap for the free header, Ian would have been commenting on it

Almost getting himself sent off at 1-0 up at home is clearly a major mistake as well

I like Holmes. He has done a tremendous job coming in out of position and helping the side. What he needs now is to go back to the training ground and work at being a centre back. Especially attacking the ball and heading. Yiadom and Araruna are both fit again, Esteves can keep the RB spot until they are both ready to come back in and then decide between those 3.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Jan 2021 10:42

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal We won 3-0. I didn't seem Holmes make a single major mistake.

I'm quite clear what I watched, I can hardly judge him on what I'm not aware of, and 10 minutes vs 35, I'll go with the 35 I saw.

Thats fine, but you can't really give an accurate reflection on how he played the whole game though, especially when everyone else has been giving him lower ratings. I mean, if he was playing well, would Pauno have taken him off at half time?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Jan 2021 10:42

Hound Fair to say if Esteves had produced that backpass or even losing that chap for the free header, Ian would have been commenting on it

Almost getting himself sent off at 1-0 up at home is clearly a major mistake as well

I like Holmes. He has done a tremendous job coming in out of position and helping the side. What he needs now is to go back to the training ground and work at being a centre back. Especially attacking the ball and heading. Yiadom and Araruna are both fit again, Esteves can keep the RB spot until they are both ready to come back in and then decide between those 3.

Agree with all of that.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2021 10:46

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal We won 3-0. I didn't seem Holmes make a single major mistake.

I dont think he was that bad but it is interesting that in the 10 minutes you missed he made 2 mistakes both of which are things you have recently joked about Esteves being incapable of. Couldn't guard his man in the box for an aerial duel and sloppy pass that led to a great chance. Anyway I think he has been a revelation so far this season. I'm really happy with him. Just think you're a tad harsh on Esteves when Holmes makes similar mistakes.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jan 2021 10:56

Snowflake Royal
Westwood52
Snowflake Royal It's getting to the point you have to wonder if it's a deliberate attempt to get teams to play on the front foot so we can hit them in the break and give Joao room to run in behind.

Dangerous game.

McIntyre - 8 everywhere
Morrison - 8 commanding

You missed his perfectly weighted pass to their man who was so surprised to receive it that he failed to capitalise on a simple chance to put them 1-0 up very early in the game?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Jan 2021 10:56

Just on Esteves, nobody has commented on him losing possession 3 times when trying to dribble past that one extra player.
Fortunately on each occasion it was around the halfway line so not too important and the game was almost cut and dried by then.

I did like a header that he did to concede a corner and not try a fancy clearance showing that he may have learnt from the Bournemouth game.

It is often said that players are thought to be better than they are when not playing and Araruna IMHO comes into that category with posters suggesting that he is a nailed-on better right-back than Esteves and is of the same standard as Yiadom.
I think the jury is still out on him (and his best position) and the sooner a fit Yiadom returns the better for our longer term prospects.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2021 11:01

South Coast Royal Just on Esteves, nobody has commented on him losing possession 3 times when trying to dribble past that one extra player.
Fortunately on each occasion it was around the halfway line so not too important and the game was almost cut and dried by then.

I did like a header that he did to concede a corner and not try a fancy clearance showing that he may have learnt from the Bournemouth game.

It is often said that players are thought to be better than they are when not playing and Araruna IMHO comes into that category with posters suggesting that he is a nailed-on better right-back than Esteves and is of the same standard as Yiadom.
I think the jury is still out on him (and his best position) and the sooner a fit Yiadom returns the better for our longer term prospects.

isnt that the point though Vic? You can do that at 3-0, you're happy to take an extra risk. And like you say it was further upfield so not too much of an issue. And guess that feeds into why he is getting '6s' rather than '7s'- he defended well but lost possession more than you'd like.

(I can only remember him doing it once fwiw, and whoscored has him as losing possession twice)

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 Jan 2021 11:02

Lower West
WoodleyRoyal
Lower West
Yet again. This team lacks the overall work rate and intensity to perform at a consistant level week in week out.

:|

Noticeable how Coventry as other teams have done this season. Attempted to exploit the acres of space behind Ejaria and Olise. Keeping players wide on both wings. We are defensively better with Meite in the team. As he puts a real shift in, dropping back.

This is my concern about the team put out yesterday. Ejaria Olise and Swift together hardly make a tackle between them. Excellent as they are going forward they will leave holes in midfield. Coventry exploited that to the max.

With Meite back you have a better tackler and someone closing the opposition down. Then you can rotate between 2 of the other 3.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jan 2021 11:06

South Coast Royal Just on Esteves, nobody has commented on him losing possession 3 times when trying to dribble past that one extra player.

I dont think Araruna has done much to suggest he is anywhere near the standards set by Yiadom before his injuries. In fact I would say both Holmes and Esteves have done more to show they are better than Araruna. They have had more time so it isn't very fair to compare.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Jan 2021 11:09

Tbf to Holmes after that dreadful backpass he was very good on the ball, drove forward nicely and used it well. I’m not a fan of knee-jerk reactions. Remember when people were saying McIntyre wasn’t good enough after one bad game? Esteves has also been a victim of that mentality.

I haven’t seen anyone saying Araruna is as good as Yiadom. He’s got a little bit of credit in the bank after his performances earlier in the season, and he’d give us even more creativity. But Yiadom has a huge amount of credit and should be comfortable first choice when fit.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Jan 2021 11:14

bcubed
Lower West
WoodleyRoyal
:|

Noticeable how Coventry as other teams have done this season. Attempted to exploit the acres of space behind Ejaria and Olise. Keeping players wide on both wings. We are defensively better with Meite in the team. As he puts a real shift in, dropping back.

This is my concern about the team put out yesterday. Ejaria Olise and Swift together hardly make a tackle between them. Excellent as they are going forward they will leave holes in midfield. Coventry exploited that to the max.

With Meite back you have a better tackler and someone closing the opposition down. Then you can rotate between 2 of the other 3.

This is nonsense.

Tackles per 90
Ejaria 1.1
Olise 1.1
Swift 0.3
Meite 0.3

Interceptions per 90
Ejaria 1.3
Olise 0.4
Swift 0.3
Meite 0.3

Even on clearances Ejaria (0.5) beats Meite and Olise (0.3) and Swift (0.2).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2021 11:17

SCIAG Tbf to Holmes after that dreadful backpass he was very good on the ball, drove forward nicely and used it well. I’m not a fan of knee-jerk reactions. Remember when people were saying McIntyre wasn’t good enough after one bad game? Esteves has also been a victim of that mentality.

I haven’t seen anyone saying Araruna is as good as Yiadom. He’s got a little bit of credit in the bank after his performances earlier in the season, and he’d give us even more creativity. But Yiadom has a huge amount of credit and should be comfortable first choice when fit.

I dont think its knee jerk. He has made a number of mistakes recently, at fault for Huddersfield's goal. After that backpass he gave away a free header and could/should have been sent off. You can't do that sadly

Yes he put in a nice cross and was tidy coming forward, but he was hardly tearing the right flank apart.

The vast majority just said McIntyre had a bad game after Preston, no more.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Jan 2021 11:21

Hound

isnt that the point though Vic? You can do that at 3-0, you're happy to take an extra risk. And like you say it was further upfield so not too much of an issue. And guess that feeds into why he is getting '6s' rather than '7s'- he defended well but lost possession more than you'd like.

(I can only remember him doing it once fwiw, and whoscored has him as losing possession twice)

Absolutely-my fear is that he is tempted to do so further back in other games which could lead to more goals for the opposition.
The daft thing last night was that Holmes, a defender through and through, looked more like Esteves in that attacking was the best part of his game.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Jan 2021 11:30

SCIAG
bcubed
Lower West

This is nonsense.

Tackles per 90
Ejaria 1.1
Olise 1.1
Swift 0.3
Meite 0.3

Interceptions per 90
Ejaria 1.3
Olise 0.4
Swift 0.3
Meite 0.3

Even on clearances Ejaria (0.5) beats Meite and Olise (0.3) and Swift (0.2).

Thanks for those figures SCIAG.

I think people are getting a bit carried away by Meite's defensive qualities.
Anybody compared to Aluko would be better defensively-I think what happens with Meite is that he does chase back with great enthusiasm and just being there his physical presence can intimidate the opposition's left-sided attacker.

Going forward though Meite is the strong player that we love to see and that is his main role in the side-playing with two defensive midfielders should mean that he doesn't have to chase back too much and, like with Joao, I would sooner see him occupying the attention of an opposition defender or two than use up too much energy defending.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Jan 2021 11:34

Hound
SCIAG Tbf to Holmes after that dreadful backpass he was very good on the ball, drove forward nicely and used it well. I’m not a fan of knee-jerk reactions. Remember when people were saying McIntyre wasn’t good enough after one bad game? Esteves has also been a victim of that mentality.

I dont think its knee jerk. He has made a number of mistakes recently, at fault for Huddersfield's goal. After that backpass he gave away a free header and could/should have been sent off. You can't do that sadly

Yes he put in a nice cross and was tidy coming forward, but he was hardly tearing the right flank apart.

The vast majority just said McIntyre had a bad game after Preston, no more.

In the Preston match thread eight people criticised McIntyre by name after the match was over. “He doesn’t look ready to start as a centre back at this level”, “too slight, too slow, positionally unaware, gaffe prone, nowhere near the standard he needs to be to get in the team”, “too slow to partner Morrison”, “McIntyre not up to it”, “not even close to ready for first team football”, “simply not good enough for this league”. And that’s not including the drunken comment that didn’t mention him by name. Three-quarters of admittedly a small sample said that he wasn’t good enough, not just that he had a bad game.

371 posts