MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (a)

280 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stoke City (a)

by SCIAG » 06 Feb 2021 21:40

Ascotexgunner 3) McClean runs Knockeart very close for being the biggest c*nt in world football. He isn't a footballer he's an escapee from Broadmoor.

Neil Warnock is still in world football. As are Tyrone Mings and Billy Sharp and Jose Mourinho and John Terry.

And that’s before we get onto people who haven’t done anything to Reading, like Sergio Ramos and Pepe.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Feb 2021 22:59

Solid if uninspiring performance against a well organised and defensively strong Stoke side.

Pretty clean game. Thought the ref got most things right where he had a good view. One of the linesman was a bit dodge on occasion.

Stoke gave us no time and space to play that nice passing football, and ran a defensive line we couldn't go over, with big CBs who could rough Joao up.

A few times they gave us some difficulties with crosses etc, but never really looked that threatening most of the game IMO. Basically a game of two defences cancelling each other out.

Thought Swift started really well but faded. Olise was a bit anonymous, as was Ejaria. Rino and Laurent really struggled to get involved going forward.

A point is a good result away against a tough nut to crack like Stoke, especially with our not great recent record up there.

Can't win 'em all. On to the next one

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Feb 2021 00:27

Ascotexgunner Things we learned today.
1) Meite needs to start whenever possible
2) Stoke are still thuggish w*nkers and play shit boring football
3) McClean runs Knockeart very close for being the biggest c*nt in world football. He isn't a footballer he's an escapee from Broadmoor.
4) A point ain't bad if you play like that.

Thuggish/physical whatever. We can't compete against teams like this. We should change it up a bit to manage this.

Starting Meite would help. In this type of game we can't have Olise Swift and Ejaria together. They were over run.

Unless we get a picky ref. This guy was letting stuff go too much for our style. If we can ever get to the Prem we'll be fine

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Feb 2021 01:33

Royal Ginger Morrison’s passing was rubbish. He doesn’t deserve as much praise as he’s getting.

The main purpose of a defender is being able to defend well. Which he can do very well

Far too many defenders in recent years perceived as good “ball playing defenders” but not actually very good at defending, no coincidence that other than one anomalous run, our defensive record has been outstanding

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Feb 2021 01:37

3) McClean runs Knockeart very close for being the biggest c*nt in world football. He isn't a footballer he's an escapee from Broadmoor.

To be fair, point 2 and 3 have been well known for a long time

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Feb 2021 01:41

Snowflake Royal Solid if uninspiring performance against a well organised and defensively strong Stoke side.

Pretty clean game. Thought the ref got most things right where he had a good view. One of the linesman was a bit dodge on occasion.

Stoke gave us no time and space to play that nice passing football, and ran a defensive line we couldn't go over, with big CBs who could rough Joao up.

A few times they gave us some difficulties with crosses etc, but never really looked that threatening most of the game IMO. Basically a game of two defences cancelling each other out.

Thought Swift started really well but faded. Olise was a bit anonymous, as was Ejaria. Rino and Laurent really struggled to get involved going forward.

A point is a good result away against a tough nut to crack like Stoke, especially with our not great recent record up there.

Can't win 'em all. On to the next one

Rino and Laurent got forward well the last 15/20 minutes in our best spell of the game

Notice a lot of Stoke fans mentioning prior to the game that they seem to drop off the last bit of the game as their players tire, particularly Mikel who bossed the game for the first hour

As been mentioned before, good sign that we can push on late in games still and our players can maintain a constant fitness level throughout

By my reckoning it’s a decent point, unbeaten in 7 in the league with 4 clean sheets in the process

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 07 Feb 2021 14:09

Not a very entertaining game with us just having one shot on target and we only really gave it a go in the last 20 minutes.
A game to forget and just be glad that we got a point and in the context of a top 6 finish none of the chasing pack made any inroads so quite a good day/ weekend all round .

I really can't see any of the chasers having enough about them to make a strong challenge and it would need one or more of the current top 6 to fall away badly as well for this top 6 to change.
It will now be who shows the best form for the rest of the season to see who finishes second to Brentford IMHO and we are in with as good a chance as any of them, injuries permitting.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Feb 2021 14:30

URZZZZ

Stoke really were not thuggish yesterday. As Ian has said it was a clean game. Their midfield snuffed us out. We were on the back foot until the latter stages.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Feb 2021 14:51

Zip
URZZZZ

Stoke really were not thuggish yesterday. As Ian has said it was a clean game. Their midfield snuffed us out. We were on the back foot until the latter stages.

If not thuggish they were typically Championship physical. We don't do well against that sort of team as they out muscle us. As above I think we need to change the personnel a touch when teams won't let us play. Brentford might actually be an easier game in that respect

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 07 Feb 2021 17:56

URZZZZ
Royal Ginger Morrison’s passing was rubbish. He doesn’t deserve as much praise as he’s getting.

The main purpose of a defender is being able to defend well. Which he can do very well

Far too many defenders in recent years perceived as good “ball playing defenders” but not actually very good at defending, no coincidence that other than one anomalous run, our defensive record has been outstanding

I agree with that, I just believe that his poor passing is the difference between him being good and him being praise-worthy great. Simpler passes to playmakers are acceptable for a CB, but I concede that after McIntyre’s success with that long ball recently, perhaps he was instructed to play that way.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2021 18:17

Morro's passing was poor because Stoke squeeze the midfield so he rarely had options that wouldn't come straight back to him or see us pushed deeper and deeper, so the alternative was over the top,, where Stoke had big players, and left no room in behind to run into.

Yeah, quite a lot of the long balls could have been a lot better, but to have worked they'd have needed to be perfect.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Feb 2021 23:49

Zip
URZZZZ

Agreed that their midfield was strong, but they don’t create enough chances or score enough goals

From what I could gather, the first half was one of the or strongest all season, but wasn’t representative of a normal game, which by all accounts, tend to be pretty dire spectacles

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Feb 2021 14:12

Some of the views from our "fans" here are oxf*rd laughable :lol: :lol: :lol:

Usual suspects

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2021 09:51

Simmops Some of the views from our "fans" here are oxf*rd laughable :lol: :lol: :lol:

Usual suspects

Great film

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 09 Feb 2021 13:16

NewCorkSeth
Hiram K Hackenbacker
NewCorkSeth He does overplay it yeah but whoscored sees 5 completed dribbles against 1 failed dribble :lol:

Hence why his rating is and has been so high all season.

I agree

This might be my first "I agree". It's about time if so.

I agree

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Feb 2021 20:42

Simmops Some of the views from our "fans" here are oxf*rd laughable :lol: :lol: :lol:

Usual suspects

Says the man who labelled Paunovic a fraud.....

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 09 Feb 2021 20:54

Ascotexgunner

Usual suspects

:|

No i didnt.

Half this place where crying when he got appointed.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Feb 2021 21:10

Simmops
Ascotexgunner

Usual suspects

No i didnt.

Nope, my apologies, your quite right, it was WoodleyRoyal.
You did say Smith Rowe was shit though when I proposed we take him on loan a couple of months back.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 09 Feb 2021 21:12

Ascotexgunner
Simmops
Ascotexgunner

No i didnt.

You did say Smith Rowe was shit though when I proposed we take him on loan a couple of months back.

He was shit, now he's good

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 09 Feb 2021 21:18

Simmops
Ascotexgunner
Simmops :|

No i didnt.

He was shit, now he's good

If only we were conversing about Aluko and not Smith Rowe.

280 posts