MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

544 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2021 10:51

URZZZZ Oh yeah, not disagreeing, only scored a couple for us IIRC

Was more highlighting the point how much Ejaria’s game relies on players to run in behind which has perhaps been missed in recent weeks playing Olise on the right

You know it took me a while to warm to Meite but in terms of his improvement and what he offers now, I think I’d have him in the top 3 as one of our most important players, perhaps behind the steady midfield of Laurent and Rinomhota and perhaps Joao

The problem with that is Olise made a perfect run into the box a game or so ago and Ejaria took two touches and then played a sublime pass to put him in, by which time Michael was two yards offside.

The runs happen. Ejaria's too slow to pull the trigger half the time or ignores them entirely.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 24 Feb 2021 10:59

Norfolk Royal
windermereROYAL
Norfolk Royal
I also thought the ref was a prat during the penalty thing. He let Stockdale wander off the pitch and have a lie down, delaying the pen, then basically stood about a foot away from Joao blocking any attempt he might make to wander around a bit and compose himself. The ref might as well have been a Wycombe player disrupting during that whole period.

I`m staggered how he only added 5 minutes on, not saying it would havee made any difference but Stockdale spent most of last 20 minutes on the floor.

He certainly should have been booked for time wasting and would have expected to have been booked I would think. Trouble is unless you book keepers for doing that the first time they do it, they will just continue to waste time until they get booked and job done. Let's not be too prissy about it, we would expect our keeper to do that in the same position as well. Stockdale's time wasting was particularly spectacular though.

The ref has a word with him for timewasting then ambles slowly back to half way line, then Stockdale takes the piss by feigning injury.

Their penalty was also very dodgy, there was slight contact on his hips and he throws himself on the floor.

The ref was a joke.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Feb 2021 11:00

genome
CountryRoyal Every time I think I get enough motivation to try and post and analyse this game I just can’t bring myself to do it. I’m still truly perplexed.

Anyone that says Pauno out now is a wombat, but this most recent trend of baffling tactical decisions is a real cause for concern.

I wouldn't bother.

It was shit, manager had a shocker, team had a shocker, we move on.

Probably for the best, for my sanity and everyone else’s too :lol:

Can you bring yourself to watch the Rotherham game?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Feb 2021 11:01

CountryRoyal
genome
CountryRoyal Every time I think I get enough motivation to try and post and analyse this game I just can’t bring myself to do it. I’m still truly perplexed.

Anyone that says Pauno out now is a wombat, but this most recent trend of baffling tactical decisions is a real cause for concern.

I wouldn't bother.

My only option is to spend £10 on iFollow, so, absolutely not

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2021 11:05

genome
CountryRoyal
genome
I wouldn't bother.

yeah same. First one I've missed for ages but need to give it a break. Seems like its true of quite a few on here

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Feb 2021 11:07

genome

I wouldn't bother.

Question is where are we moving on to?! Feels like downwards and that's very disheartening

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Feb 2021 11:10

Hound
genome
CountryRoyal

yeah same. First one I've missed for ages but need to give it a break. Seems like its true of quite a few on here

I'm out too

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2021 11:39

I'm still in.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Feb 2021 11:51

The most disappointing thing for me is that Pauno seems to have fallen into the trap of many managers in now worrying too much about the opposition..
We got to our lofty league position by generally playing fluid attacking football based on a midfield all working together and swapping positions when necessary plus an in-form striker who rarely missed..

When I saw the line-up last night I thought he had made selections for the wrong game-Rotherham has a team of giants and they play long ball, Wycombe don't have a team of giants.
Playing 4 centre-backs IMHO smacked of negativity, i.e. we have to deal with them when surely, taking into account the massive difference in league positions and past results we should not have been worrying about them, they should have been left to worry about us.

So for the first 15 minutes it was long ball vaguely in the direction of a tightly marked Joao, long ball by us not them.
After that we settled into the game better but without much penetration and again with not enough support for Joao.
What is he supposed to do when the ball is lofted up to him in the air with nobody for him to even flick the ball onto?

Everything has already been said about our great chance, the penalty so no further comment from me.

Exasperation came when they were down to 10 men-we still passed square and back with no intent and just expecting something to happen rather than trying to make it happen..
I remember a couple of games under FSB against Stoke and possibly Sunderland where, when they went down to 10 men, we used the full width of the pitch, passed them to death and won easily.

There is not enough imagination apart from Ejaria and Olise-others need to step up and not just pass the responsibility onto others hoping that they might do something.

Oh for a winger to get in behind when the other team are defending in numbers.

I believe Rotherham are in poor form-I saw a bit of their game at Bournemouth and they were limited, big and the right-back was hopeless.
So hopefully now that wins are imperative (draws may not be much use) we will stamp our authority on the game right from the off and let them worry about us with Yiadom and Richards in the side playing at a high tempo.
Yes we might get troubled at set pieces with their height but we should be able to outscore them.

Lastly, Pauno does seem to want to squeeze players into the side and find places for some players to the detriment of the shape.
IMHO he should have played either Tom Mc OR Moore rather than accommodate both and surely Richards , one of our best players all season, has to play.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Feb 2021 11:51

Snowflake Royal I'm still in.

Same here.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Feb 2021 11:58

Norfolk Royal
PistolPete
Millsy
The technique isn't the issue. I don't think any of us here can teach a top championship professional striker about penalty technique.

The issue is simply his mind.

Far too emotional to be taking penalties. We could see that in his first miss, and his second miss, and his third scuffed shot/lucky goal, and his many other sulks when things don't go his way... he doesn't have the mental strength for pens. You can't teach someone that.

I was gobsmacked when I saw him step up for the last one, and even more so now. No idea what Pauno is thinking keeping him on as the number one man for pens.

He misses not because he's emotional - he's pretty cold blooded when it comes to finishing. It's the hop skip pause technique in this last one, and the incredibly close standing foot verses Preston that makes the whole thing harder. He's clearly working on it, I'd say though that he needs to keep it simple!

I also thought the ref was a prat during the penalty thing. He let Stockdale wander off the pitch and have a lie down, delaying the pen, then basically stood about a foot away from Joao blocking any attempt he might make to wander around a bit and compose himself. The ref might as well have been a Wycombe player disrupting during that whole period.

But a decent penalty taker should be able to handle and deal with all those antics by blocking them out and/or laughing them off. Unfortunately Joao is one of quite a number of players in our current squad who seem to lack the mental resilience to deal with tough/pressured situations. Do we have a Sports Psychologist as part of our backroom team?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Feb 2021 11:59

Me too but with dread and trepidation!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2021 12:01

South Coast Royal
Oh for a winger to get in behind when the other team are defending in numbers.

Agreed, Aluko took on his man a couple of times and crossed it in but it wasn’t nearly enough

Wonder what Hound thinks to your point :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2021 12:02

What. The. Actual. oxf*rd. Was. That. Goal.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Feb 2021 12:13

South Coast Royal

Same here.

Same unless I happen to be doing something else. Same as every game really but then I don't have to weigh up paying a tenner each time.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 24 Feb 2021 12:30

Snowflake Royal What. The. Actual. oxf*rd. Was. That. Goal.

You on satellite delay?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 24 Feb 2021 12:31

RoyalBlue
Norfolk Royal
PistolPete
He misses not because he's emotional - he's pretty cold blooded when it comes to finishing. It's the hop skip pause technique in this last one, and the incredibly close standing foot verses Preston that makes the whole thing harder. He's clearly working on it, I'd say though that he needs to keep it simple!

But a decent penalty taker should be able to handle and deal with all those antics by blocking them out and/or laughing them off. Unfortunately Joao is one of quite a number of players in our current squad who seem to lack the mental resilience to deal with tough/pressured situations. Do we have a Sports Psychologist as part of our backroom team?

Dr Seuss.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Feb 2021 12:45

Jagermesiter1871
Snowflake Royal What. The. Actual. oxf*rd. Was. That. Goal.

You on satellite delay?

Lol. Can't bring myself to watch it again. What actually happened?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 24 Feb 2021 12:46

I do love watching the team, but I've just spent 40 quid to watch 1 win, 3 losses and only one genuinely good game (Brantford). Not that I'm moaning about the City game, because that was a stroll in the park.

We're an odd team really. Absolutely comfortable & pedestrian against City. Just didn't turn up against Millwall and Wycombe, and can go toe to toe with Brantford.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Feb 2021 13:33

skipper I do love watching the team, but I've just spent 40 quid to watch 1 win, 3 losses and only one genuinely good game (Brantford). Not that I'm moaning about the City game, because that was a stroll in the park.

We're an odd team really. Absolutely comfortable & pedestrian against City. Just didn't turn up against Millwall and Wycombe, and can go toe to toe with Brantford.

Have you got two a's and no e on your keyboard ?

544 posts