What our players earn

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

What our players earn

by Barney » 01 Mar 2021 09:40

Very interesting article on the salaries of our top ten earners. Should settle a few arguments !!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/categ ... p/reading/

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: What our players earn

by Stranded » 01 Mar 2021 09:43

Probably not far off but a hell of a lot of "reportedly" and "supposedly"'s going on there to be taken on face value.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Mar 2021 09:44

Yeah, I'm not one for believing anything like this, especially when it comes to wages. Unless the player shows us his payslip then I'm taking everything with a pinch of salt.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Mar 2021 09:47

Sourced from: https://salarysport.com/football/sky-be ... p/reading/

None of us (including the people who made up the numbers for this site) have the first clue what our higher earners make. But some of the numbers for the lower earners are pretty hard to believe (eg compare East and Watson) which makes me doubt that this is anything other than guesswork.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Mar 2021 09:50

SCIAG Sourced from: https://salarysport.com/football/sky-be ... p/reading/

None of us (including the people who made up the numbers for this site) have the first clue what our higher earners make. But some of the numbers for the lower earners are pretty hard to believe (eg compare East and Watson) which makes me doubt that this is anything other than guesswork.

Sources - Press releases, news & articles, online encyclopedias & databases, industry experts & insiders. We find the information so you don't have to!

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this comes from Football Manager. I'm adamant that is where Olise's "release clause" came from.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Mar 2021 10:10

Hendo
SCIAG Sourced from: https://salarysport.com/football/sky-be ... p/reading/

Sources - Press releases, news & articles, online encyclopedias & databases, industry experts & insiders. We find the information so you don't have to!

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this comes from Football Manager. I'm adamant that is where Olise's "release clause" came from.

Kadzidlo (on HNA) is the Reading researcher. Checking the SI forums, he seems to be under the impression that Richards has already signed a pre-contract with Bayern Munich and it will be announced in the next few days. But he’s also got Tom McIntyre down as declared for Scotland, which very much isn’t the case.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Mar 2021 10:19

The "click for next" clickbaity nature of the shitty website provides a clue as to how accurate these figures are.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Mar 2021 11:06

Load of absolute nonsense - from what i have heard Baldock and Aluko are top of any list and double what is being reported here.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Mar 2021 11:30

Yep, numbers seem way too low for me, would struggle to see how we managed 200% of wages to income based on that.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Mar 2021 11:34

Don’t our accounts give a total wage bill figure ?
Not sure if it seperates playing and non playing staff but it shoukdn’t Be that hard for someone to take the total and do a sense check of what it is even possible to be paying people . Going to individual level would be guess work but a broad brush shouldn’t be too hard.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 01 Mar 2021 11:48

Millsy The "click for next" clickbaity nature of the shitty website provides a clue as to how accurate these figures are.

Yes on a scale of one to ten for reliability I'd put it around 2.5.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2021 12:25

Click bait recycled attention seeking bollocks.

Baldock and Aluko on 13k. Do me a favour. If that was our wage list we wouldn't have been in financial difficulty for years. Does. Not. Add. Up.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Mar 2021 12:50

Articles that spread their information over 10 pages to boost click numbers can get in the bin.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Mar 2021 13:46

It could be that some of the "wages" numbers are not too inaccurate, but perhaps don't take into account all the add-ons that modern players seem to get (such as apprearance money, goal bonuses, etc).

A couple of years ago there was a report about average salaries in the Championship at around £9k per week. I suspect that has gone up a bit, but I do think people over estimate what players really earn. From the last accounts (to 30 June 2019)

Players - 63
Football mgmt and coaching staff - 114
Admin staff - 74
Staff under employed under govt training schemes - 18
Matchday staff - 280

Total = 549

Total wages and salaries £36.1m (excluding social security costs & pensions)

So, with a bit of estimating here's where I get to.

For all non-playing staff (inc team mgmt) - say £6m (being 114+74 @ £25k per head per year plus a further £1m for the manager and coaching team)

remaining wages = £30m
I know approx half of the player number = academy players - assume £2k per week X 32 players = £3.3m

First team squad bill = £36m - £6m - £3m = £27m
average = £27m / 32 = £16.2k per week

I think that's maximum - I've probably underestimated all the coaching staff, admin staff, etc as someone like Nigel Howe would be on several hundred thousand just on his own. The period of these accounts was when Moore got his pay rise, and we had the likes of Aluko, Barrow, Bacuna, Illori, Gunter, McCleary, Baldock, Meyler, Blackett, etc

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Mar 2021 08:58

Who put butter fingers on £18k a week?!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Mar 2021 10:10

3points It could be that some of the "wages" numbers are not too inaccurate, but perhaps don't take into account all the add-ons that modern players seem to get (such as apprearance money, goal bonuses, etc).

A couple of years ago there was a report about average salaries in the Championship at around £9k per week. I suspect that has gone up a bit, but I do think people over estimate what players really earn. From the last accounts (to 30 June 2019)

Players - 63
Admin staff - 74
Matchday staff - 280

Total = 549

For all non-playing staff (inc team mgmt) - say £6m (being 114+74 @ £25k per head per year plus a further £1m for the manager and coaching team)

remaining wages = £30m
I know approx half of the player number = academy players - assume £2k per week X 32 players = £3.3m

I think that's maximum - I've probably underestimated all the coaching staff, admin staff, etc as someone like Nigel Howe would be on several hundred thousand just on his own. The period of these accounts was when Moore got his pay rise, and we had the likes of Aluko, Barrow, Bacuna, Illori, Gunter, McCleary, Baldock, Meyler, Blackett, etc

You'd expect quite a few first teamers significantly above the average and a lot of the peripheral ones well below it.

So whilst an average of say 13k is believable, only 3 or 4 at 18 or above isn't.

If Aluko is on 13k why have we been desperate to offload him for years. Similar with Baldock. Makes no sense.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Mar 2021 13:36

Snowflake Royal
3points It could be that some of the "wages" numbers are not too inaccurate, but perhaps don't take into account all the add-ons that modern players seem to get (such as apprearance money, goal bonuses, etc).

Players - 63
Admin staff - 74
Matchday staff - 280

Total = 549

remaining wages = £30m

You'd expect quite a few first teamers significantly above the average and a lot of the peripheral ones well below it.

So whilst an average of say 13k is believable, only 3 or 4 at 18 or above isn't.

If Aluko is on 13k why have we been desperate to offload him for years. Similar with Baldock. Makes no sense.

Fair comment but it's not so straight forward in the world of football finances. If you go back to Pog, who was signed on a "free transfer" is was widely reported he was on £60k a week, but a big chunk of that was his signing on fee being paid over the lifetime of his contract (4 years). So, do you classify that as wages or not? In the laws of accounting that would have been recognised in salaries & wages, but if we had paid a transfer fee for the same player, it would have gone onto the balance sheet and been amortised over the length of the contract (but not recognised through the wages account). It's all semantics of course - it's still cash out of the door and needs to be funded. But our relative prudency on transfer fees recently (Rafael, Morrison, Yiadom, Swift, etc) means we will show a relatively higher proportion of salaries & wages compared to player amortisation and means it's not a direct comparison to other clubs who fork out more in transfer fees.

Of course wages is only one part of the cash position of a club. They may have wanted Aluko out because of the structure of the original transfer fee with elements based on appearances, and other such matters. It seemed to be quite well known that Mannone was shipped out because he was close to a 50 appearance threshold which, presumably, would have triggered another stage payment to Sunderland

clauski

by clauski » 02 Mar 2021 22:30

Baldock.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Mar 2021 14:51

Gary Lineker was once asked if he gets to keep any of the transfer fee clubs pay, and he didn't reply he just grinned.

So...

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Mar 2021 15:11

Millsy Gary Lineker was once asked if he gets to keep any of the transfer fee clubs pay, and he didn't reply he just grinned.

So...

Not sure how that's relevant to anything? It will be part of the contract - there may be a sign-on fee which is a % of the transfer fee, or, in the case of a free transfer - a flat amount.

Either way, it's money that will have to show up in the accounts.

Are you quibbling with the maths? And if so, which bit?