What our players earn

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What our players earn

by linkenholtroyal » 03 Mar 2021 15:47

3points It could be that some of the "wages" numbers are not too inaccurate, but perhaps don't take into account all the add-ons that modern players seem to get (such as apprearance money, goal bonuses, etc).

A couple of years ago there was a report about average salaries in the Championship at around £9k per week. I suspect that has gone up a bit, but I do think people over estimate what players really earn. From the last accounts (to 30 June 2019)

Players - 63
Football mgmt and coaching staff - 114
Admin staff - 74
Staff under employed under govt training schemes - 18
Matchday staff - 280

Total = 549

Total wages and salaries £36.1m (excluding social security costs & pensions)

So, with a bit of estimating here's where I get to.

For all non-playing staff (inc team mgmt) - say £6m (being 114+74 @ £25k per head per year plus a further £1m for the manager and coaching team)

remaining wages = £30m
I know approx half of the player number = academy players - assume £2k per week X 32 players = £3.3m

First team squad bill = £36m - £6m - £3m = £27m
average = £27m / 32 = £16.2k per week

I think that's maximum - I've probably underestimated all the coaching staff, admin staff, etc as someone like Nigel Howe would be on several hundred thousand just on his own. The period of these accounts was when Moore got his pay rise, and we had the likes of Aluko, Barrow, Bacuna, Illori, Gunter, McCleary, Baldock, Meyler, Blackett, etc

It would be interesting to know how it compares now that all those names at the end are gone-
in the last 2 years the list of players sold or released is huge-
Mannone, Popa, Barrow, Adams, Blackett, Gunter, Obita, Mccleary, Bodvarsson, Van den Berg, Kelly, Mcshane, Meyler and Edwards. thats 14 players that were morethan likely all on over 10k p/w(there is others but were all on low wages or youth contracts)
We have replaced those senior players with Puscas, Joao, Morrison, Rafael, Ejaria and Laurent and the rest are youth team players.

we are in a much better place than then and likely we will have more wages spare in the summer once Aluko and Baldock are gone. Also shows that a bloated squad did not work. If we had not steadied the ship we would be in league 1 due to point deductions, broke and our academy would have been a waste.
No matter which league we are playing in next season I hope we don't undo all the good work, focus on progressing youth, getting the talent tied down to long term contracts and filling a few gaps. no more than 3 senior signings please and only if they are young and better than what is in the youth ranks please.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Mar 2021 17:40

muirinho
Millsy Gary Lineker was once asked if he gets to keep any of the transfer fee clubs pay, and he didn't reply he just grinned.

So...

Not sure how that's relevant to anything? It will be part of the contract - there may be a sign-on fee which is a % of the transfer fee, or, in the case of a free transfer - a flat amount.

Either way, it's money that will have to show up in the accounts.

Are you quibbling with the maths? And if so, which bit?

I'm just being a totally random and irrelevant pcunt.

That Lineker interview is the only vaguely football thing I know in life, so let me have my glory.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 03 Mar 2021 18:23

You do wonder about some of these figures.We were all under the impression that Baldock was on £20k plus.Aluko s salary seems to go up and down like a yo yo.When he first came to the Club we were led to believe he was on £40 k a week.Although the amount quoted is close to what came up on Hob Nob a few months ago.Tom Holmes and Omar Richards salaries quoted defy belief.Where do performance and appearance add ons come into the equation.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 03 Mar 2021 22:35

Mind you look at Watford did they not put relegation clauses in there contracts?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 04 Mar 2021 10:08

Jackson Corner Mind you look at Watford did they not put relegation clauses in there contracts?

I am amazed that all those ex Prem Clubs who went bust after relegation didn’t adopt those clauses.However a lot of agents probably wouldn’t let they clients sign such contracts,and if the Club is desperate for a player then they will take the gamble.Football just isn’t a sensible business.Those salary levels quoted if they can be believed,look reasonable.However some players, given their contribution look seriously underpaid.Richards,Holmes ,McIntyre etc.However appearance and performance bonuses no doubt boost their base line salaries significantly.
We seem to have got Yids and Laurent very cheaply.No wonder Richards is leaving.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 04 Mar 2021 13:29

linkenholtroyal
3points It could be that some of the "wages" numbers are not too inaccurate, but perhaps don't take into account all the add-ons that modern players seem to get (such as apprearance money, goal bonuses, etc).

A couple of years ago there was a report about average salaries in the Championship at around £9k per week. I suspect that has gone up a bit, but I do think people over estimate what players really earn. From the last accounts (to 30 June 2019)

Players - 63
Admin staff - 74
Matchday staff - 280

Total = 549

For all non-playing staff (inc team mgmt) - say £6m (being 114+74 @ £25k per head per year plus a further £1m for the manager and coaching team)

remaining wages = £30m
I know approx half of the player number = academy players - assume £2k per week X 32 players = £3.3m

I think that's maximum - I've probably underestimated all the coaching staff, admin staff, etc as someone like Nigel Howe would be on several hundred thousand just on his own. The period of these accounts was when Moore got his pay rise, and we had the likes of Aluko, Barrow, Bacuna, Illori, Gunter, McCleary, Baldock, Meyler, Blackett, etc

It would be interesting to know how it compares now that all those names at the end are gone-
Mannone, Popa, Barrow, Adams, Blackett, Gunter, Obita, Mccleary, Bodvarsson, Van den Berg, Kelly, Mcshane, Meyler and Edwards. thats 14 players that were morethan likely all on over 10k p/w(there is others but were all on low wages or youth contracts)
We have replaced those senior players with Puscas, Joao, Morrison, Rafael, Ejaria and Laurent and the rest are youth team players.

we are in a much better place than then and likely we will have more wages spare in the summer once Aluko and Baldock are gone. Also shows that a bloated squad did not work. If we had not steadied the ship we would be in league 1 due to point deductions, broke and our academy would have been a waste.
No matter which league we are playing in next season I hope we don't undo all the good work, focus on progressing youth, getting the talent tied down to long term contracts and filling a few gaps. no more than 3 senior signings please and only if they are young and better than what is in the youth ranks please.

I'll do the analysis again when the June 2020 accounts are released and see what the difference is

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 04 Mar 2021 16:15

3points
linkenholtroyal

Players - 63
Admin staff - 74
Matchday staff - 280

Total = 549

remaining wages = £30m

I'll do the analysis again when the June 2020 accounts are released and see what the difference is

Thankyou will be interesting to see how far we have come, I know no club is as stable as before Covid but hopefully the FFP demons have now gone away.