302 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

by Sutekh » 18 Mar 2021 14:27

When : Saturday, 20 March 2021, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

It’s the fakes up next as Reading hope to get over the dreadful showing at Birmingham on Wednesday. This fixture though is probably the dullest non event football has in this division after 10 games that would best be forgotten (remember the terrific end to end battle the last time the two clubs were in the Premier League or that scintillating last game in charge for Steve Clarke)?

Rangers are about as mid table as you can get with no chance of going up or down. Their form is also pretty mid table with 3 wins and a draw from the last 7. In January Stefan Johansen and Charlie Austin arrived on loan and QPR’s form improved so it’s those two that particularly need to be stifled. Add to that alleged Reading target and top scorer Ilias Chair and things should be pretty busy for the Reading boys.

Tom Carroll and Luke Amos are both injured for the team from W12 while Reading will hope to have Michael Morrison back after the diabolical performance at St Andrews.

Referee

Dean “third time this year” Whitestone

Previously....

23 Feb 2021 > Wycombe Wanderers 1-0 Reading
19 Jan 2021 > Reading 3-0 Coventry City
30 Jun 2020 > Reading 0-3 Brentford
11 Jan 2020 > Reading 1-1 Nottm Forest
19 Oct 2019 > Reading 1-0 Preston North End
12 Aug 2018 > Reading 2-0 Birmingham City (League Cup)
05 Apr 2016 > Reading 2-1 Nottm Forest
22 Mar 2014 > Birmingham City 1-2 Reading
23 Aug 2011 > Charlton Athletic 2-1 Reading (League Cup)
22 Feb 2011 > Reading 2-1 Millwall
17 Feb 2010 > Crystal Palace 1-3 Reading
07 Nov 2009 > Reading 1-1 Ipswich Town
26 Aug 2008 > Reading 5-1 Luton Town (League Cup)

Historically

Overall Reading have an edge on league fixtures in the "binary" derby by 39 wins to 30. There have been 25 stalemates.

Thus this game is the 47th league visit from that lot just up the M4 and Reading have recorded 27 victories to 10 from the Rangers but have only won 2 of the previous 8 home fixtures.

Why binary derby? Well the last 10 home games have been truly IT techie like and dull in the extreme with about as many shots as there have been goals resulting in scores of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 0-0, 1-1, 0-1, 0-1, 1-0, 0-1 and 1-0

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2021 14:55

Need to get back to basics now we have more players fit again, biggest calls IMO is the striker position and CB pairing

Rafael

Yiadom
Holmes
Moore
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota

Meite
Olise
Ejaria

Joao

Southwood Esteves McIntyre Gibson Tetek Semedo Aluko Baldock Puscas

donh99

by donh99 » 18 Mar 2021 16:15

URZZZZ Need to get back to basics now we have more players fit again, biggest calls IMO is the striker position and CB pairing

Rafael

Yiadom
Holmes
Moore
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota

Meite
Olise
Ejaria

Joao

+1 Probably our best starting 11 at the moment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2021 16:32

donh99
URZZZZ Need to get back to basics now we have more players fit again, biggest calls IMO is the striker position and CB pairing

Rafael

Yiadom
Holmes
Moore
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota

Meite
Olise
Ejaria

Joao

+1 Probably our best starting 11 at the moment.

Yep. Harsh on Puscas and Semedo who have both done good jobs recently, and a bit generous to Ejaria who hasn't always added a lot, but it probably gives us our best blend and a real range of threats.

Moore needs to have a good game, or he's in danger of being dropped for the excellent McIntyre. Likewise Joao for Puscas.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Mar 2021 16:59

I’m hoping Morrison might be fit for Saturday. It will be Holmes who is dropped for him when really it should be Moore.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Mar 2021 17:18

Zip I’m hoping Morrison might be fit for Saturday. It will be Holmes who is dropped for him when really it should be Moore.

Yep - said last season Morrison should always be our number one CB even with both Moore and Miazga - don’t think he’d have been bullied yesterday like Moore was for their first goal. Sure, he has limitations, but a defender’s main job is to keep the ball out of the net and IMO he’s the best at that

Hopefully when Morro gets older, McInyre can fit in seamlessly after being gradually integrated into the XI this season - has the foundations to be a real solid defender, ditto Holmes too actually

Agree though that’s it’s likely Moore will keep his place for the foreseeable as club captain

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 18 Mar 2021 17:41

URZZZZ
Zip I’m hoping Morrison might be fit for Saturday. It will be Holmes who is dropped for him when really it should be Moore.

Yep - said last season Morrison should always be our number one CB even with both Moore and Miazga - don’t think he’d have been bullied yesterday like Moore was for their first goal. Sure, he has limitations, but a defender’s main job is to keep the ball out of the net and IMO he’s the best at that

Hopefully when Morro gets older, McInyre can fit in seamlessly after being gradually integrated into the XI this season - has the foundations to be a real solid defender, ditto Holmes too actually

Agree though that’s it’s likely Moore will keep his place for the foreseeable as club captain

Morrison back for the Barnsley game, he said so on Sky. I'm guessing with the game being on Friday and Moore away with Jamaica now and the long trip back Morro will go straight back in

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2021 18:12

Rafael

Yiadom
Holmes
Moore
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota

Meite
Olise
Ejaria

Joao

Yep definitely this starting 11

Certainly harsh on McIntyre but can’t shoe horn him in

Need a reaction after that abysmal effort last night

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 18 Mar 2021 22:44

Always a horrible low scoring game. At least Sky have had the good sense not to show this yawn fest. The fakes had a good win on Wednesdays, I fully expect them to carry that into this game With a 1-0 win.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Mar 2021 09:09

Jackson Corner Always a horrible low scoring game. At least Sky have had the good sense not to show this yawn fest. The fakes had a good win on Wednesdays, I fully expect them to carry that into this game With a 1-0 win.

Oh god yeah can you imagine.

I think we will nick this being at home so I'll go for 1-0 to us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Mar 2021 09:17

In the 2021 table . this is 8th v 5th, so expecting a tough one but think we will grind out a win.

Though QPR's last 6 away has seem them W4 D1 L1 - after Weds night, not sure this is the fixture I would be wanting. QPR are 12 points off us with a game in hand - they may still harbour a faint play-off hope as beating us and winning that game in hand will see them 6 behind us.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 19 Mar 2021 09:49

Maybe it’s time to give Jao a break.Bring him on,if we hit the skids.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Mar 2021 11:16

Westwood52 Maybe it’s time to give Jao a break.Bring him on,if we hit the skids.

If we had signed a target man in the window as back-up (along with that winger that many of us wanted to see) then Joao could be rested and put under more pressure for his place.

As it is Puscas and Meite don't seem to work very well together and neither can play the lone striker role anywhere near as effectively as Joao does (most of the time).

He and most of the others will have a 2 week break after tomorrow ready for the run-in and fortunately Morro will be back by then.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 19 Mar 2021 13:13

I hope Pauno goes back to using Laurent and Rino as holding, they've been the difference between indifferent results and good form.

Pls don't play Rino in attack.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 19 Mar 2021 13:20

This game will determine the rest of the season and show if the players really want it and have any pride after the dreadful performance against Brum, if they don't perform then it will will ask many questions

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Mar 2021 13:21

Am I the only one who didn't think we were that bad v Brum?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Mar 2021 13:21

PieEater I hope Pauno goes back to using Laurent and Rino as holding, they've been the difference between indifferent results and good form.

Pls don't play Rino in attack.

Yes - agree completely - we've played our best football with those 2 together holding and the diamond pushed further up so Joao up top. Olise behind and I'd have Ejaria and Meite either side; plenty of threat there and solid at the back too

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 19 Mar 2021 15:00

If Morrison is not available then replace Holmes with McIntyre . Also have Rhini back in midfield .

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Mar 2021 15:22

Snowflake Royal Am I the only one who didn't think we were that bad v Brum?

What was good about the performance?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Mar 2021 15:46

Zip
Snowflake Royal Am I the only one who didn't think we were that bad v Brum?

What was good about the performance?

Pass completion around the back four?
Set pieces were better

Not much past that

We fell right into the trap of Birmingham’s low block both games against them and didn’t have the nous to break them down. It was a pretty dreadful performance and for me, other than the home game against them, one of the worst performances of the season

302 posts