A Few Thoughts on the Last Eight Games

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: A Few Thoughts on the Last Eight Games

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Mar 2021 09:03

Royal Rother The big question for Paunovic in the run-in is what do with the striking options.

Does he persist with the currently hapless Joao and hope he comes back to form or drop him and hope Puscas can knock a few in as main striker?

Persisting with Joao could work and carry us to the play offs, or could completely blow it if he keeps missing chances he’d have buried a couple of months ago. But Puscas has never entirely convinced and changing the approach play to accommodate his different needs as a striker is also hard to achieve.

Personally I think Joao’s head is gone and dropping him is the right option (with a view to bringing him back for the last 3 or 4 games with a massive point to prove although I’m not sure that sort of move would actually work with Joao) but that’s a really tough call.

A fit Meite’s presence is guaranteed of course but not as a lone striker if other options are available.

Good post.

Also Pauno needs to work out a way for us to win a game when we let in the first goal. It’s a crazy situation for a team in the top six, basically score first we win or very good chance, let in the first goal and know that best result is just a point

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Mar 2021 09:09

URZZZZ
Lower West Defensive options are now looking very thin. We have missed Swift badly in recent weeks. Injuries and suspensions are going to influence the outcome of the final weeks of the season.

How can we miss a player that has made about 8 appearances all season? Chances are being created at pretty much the same quantity as earlier in the season, the difference being is that we’re not converting them at the same rate

Ejaria (inconsistently) creates chances from his dribbling and (occasionally) from superb crosses from deep. I think he will get better.

Olise, great talent, needs a distraction, (like, for example, Swift) someone to take some of the responsibility and occupy defenders .

ATM he seems to be expected to make the bulk of our chances, either full-on "assists" or half-assists, eg putting a wing-player clear to cross.

It's too much to expect that of one player of any age, more so a kid. Although he can pick our a peach of a pass, maybe he is under more pressure and the passes are only 90% or 95% as good as earlier in the season?

NOT saying that is true, not looked that hard. It looks like JOAO is off the boil (eg his terrible miss Saturday) but possibly (POSSIBLY) the chances he is being given are fractionally less golden.

Meite's goal on Saturday (don't remember the final passer) was more made by Meite and poor defending/bad goalkeeping than a defence splitting ball.

Are we sure we are making as many chances, and are they as good as earlier in the season?

As I said, I DON'T KNOW on this, just wondering.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Mar 2021 09:11

I think the solution is play JOAO as the solo striker as per and play Meite on the right /cutting in/ partly-free role where he's best.

Even if he wasn't scoring out there we need power and speed on the wing

Just because Meite is big doesn't mean he need to be CF

Taffster

by Taffster » 22 Mar 2021 10:12

Snowball I think the solution is play JOAO as the solo striker as per and play Meite on the right /cutting in/ partly-free role where he's best.

Even if he wasn't scoring out there we need power and speed on the wing

Just because Meite is big doesn't mean he need to be CF

This is spot on, Meite is at his bests when cutting in from the right and getting to run across a deference before diving in behind.

I really hope we see the end of the diamond formation, it really doesn't work for us and leaves us so exposed down the wings meaning either Laurent or Rhino have to shift out wide and the exposing us in the middle. I appreciate we had to shift to that due to injuries but given we have vast majority of players back now we should return to our 4231.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 22 Mar 2021 10:43

A few random observations:

In each of the last three matches we've gone behind but have then gone on to equalise. Admittedly we've then drawn two and lost one but it is better than simply capitulating. It only take a little more luck/effort to turn the draw into a win.

Also we've stopped the habit of conceding one goal then conceding a second within 10 minutes.

In the recent games we came in as favourites which perhaps we couldn't handle. Against those above us we will be underdogs and this may suit us better.

Moore v Morrison - Who is the better defender? Who is the better captain? If Morrison wasn't injured would we have got better results in the last few games? As captain is Moore undroppable (Bowen didn't think so)?

Joao might be out of form but Puscas isn't necessarily the answer (nor is Baldock).

Pauno's team selection - someone mentioned elsewhere that Holmes plays better against a certain style of team and Esteves is better against others styles. If a fan can spot this then how come Pauno doesn't act on this (or is the observation not true)?

Pauno's subs - do we think that he decides before the game which players he is going to bring on or does he actually decide in-game based on how things are going? How much input/influence do his sidekicks have?

Do the players not want to play in the Premier League and if they no they need to put extra effort in? Do they not realise that if we go up then any contracts offered will be better? Is this part of the reason that no contracts have been renewed, as the powers that be want to see which league we'll be playing in next season?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Mar 2021 11:15

morganb A few random observations:

In each of the last three matches we've gone behind but have then gone on to equalise. Admittedly we've then drawn two and lost one but it is better than simply capitulating. It only take a little more luck/effort to turn the draw into a win.

Also we've stopped the habit of conceding one goal then conceding a second within 10 minutes.

Can't argue with that. It's an improvement.

Still think we lack real mental strength though.

morganb
In the recent games we came in as favourites which perhaps we couldn't handle. Against those above us we will be underdogs and this may suit us better.

In truth, QPR should have been slight favourites. Their 2001 record was better than ours, and they had won 4 out of their last 5 away.

Birmingham's away record shows they have decent players, but the previous manager was getting things wrong at home. That was classic new-manager stuff. Even so, we should not have done worse than 1-1. We were a bit toothless up front.

Forest at home, never easy, and in their next game they drew at Brentford.

I think we get too excited and optimistic. I see that sometimes in the prediction table. Almost always, if we are 90% going for a win we blow it.

I don't think it's "favourites v under-dogs as such, but to do with our current style is good for scoring on the break. We are like late-Wenger Arsenal, lots of pretty but don't get behind defences enough. We need a player like Barrow on the wings

morganb
Moore v Morrison - Who is the better defender? Who is the better captain? If Morrison wasn't injured would we have got better results in the last few games? As captain is Moore undroppable (Bowen didn't think so)?

Moore at his Reading best beats Morro at his Reading best, but I'd take Morro every day. I think Moore is having a very average season and it's been noticeable that the defence has been a less-effective UNIT recently

morganb
Joao might be out of form but Puscas isn't necessarily the answer (nor is Baldock).

Joao is a bit off-colour but that could change in a moment and he could score a hat-trick. What worries me more about him is that he "appears to be a sulker" and perhaps that affects other players. Even at 90% he should be in, and as someone recently pointed out, he still works as our focal point, holding up etc.

He is EXACTLY the sort of player you want in tight PO games, turning 0-0 into 1-0 with one piece of magic.

I like 4-4-2 but I think we are a lot better 4-2-3-1, just we need a striker wide in the 3, and ATM, Meite should be that guy.

morganb
Pauno's team selection - someone mentioned elsewhere that Holmes plays better against a certain style of team and Esteves is better against others styles. If a fan can spot this then how come Pauno doesn't act on this (or is the observation not true)?

Fans know squat. We don't know who is on the bench but slightly off-colour or carrying a niggle etc. We also don't know if (just an imaginary example) every time we let loan-player X play we get rebate. The manager has got us to win 18 League games. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

morganb
Do the players not want to play in the Premier League and if they no they need to put extra effort in? Do they not realise that if we go up then any contracts offered will be better? Is this part of the reason that no contracts have been renewed, as the powers that be want to see which league we'll be playing in next season?

Good point, but how many of them think that they would be sold on if we made the Prem? Take Laurent, for example (great player)... he has only just stepped up from L1 Shrewsbury. MAYBE he thinks he could cut it in the Prem, but he might deep-down think not... We don't have a lot of players who would clearly make the step up, so if we went up, apart from Olise and Joao and a fit Swift, maybe Meite we would need to strengthen a lot.

Taffster

by Taffster » 22 Mar 2021 12:35

morganb A few random observations:

I don't think you can criticise the players efforts in the slightest, in previous seasons maybe but I can think it's clear to see the players are working hard and clearly want to do well hence the frustration with seen from many of the players when being subbed or even the perceived sulking of Joao. Fair enough the effort or desire hasn't always turned into results but that's a totally different conversation.

Would imagine no contracts have been renewed for the exact reason you've said, as a club why would you offer higher wages if we end up staying in the champ and as player why would you sign on to a championship contract when potentially you could be playing prem football next season, both parties will be sat on opposite sides of the fence to any potential contract negotiation.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 22 Mar 2021 14:52

Snowflake Royal The longer someone doesn't play the better they get.

This is particularly true of Araruna, who i keep seeing being mentioned as a player we've missed this season, when in reality, hes played a handful of times ever, and i serioulsy doubt would have started more than a handful this season even if fit.

However, when Swift played his first game back we beat Huddersfield 2-1.
His 2nd game, we beat Cov 3-0 and he scored a screamer.
His 3rd game we drew 0-0 with Preston Joao missed an 83rd minutes penalty.
his 4th game, we beat Bournemouth 3-1 in what looked to be the best Reading performance in years.

He got injured in the next game.

That is a sign of a player who could have been the difference between play off hopefuls and automatic hopefuls.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Mar 2021 15:02

Greatwesternline
Snowflake Royal The longer someone doesn't play the better they get.

This is particularly true of Araruna, who i keep seeing being mentioned as a player we've missed this season, when in reality, hes played a handful of times ever, and i serioulsy doubt would have started more than a handful this season even if fit.

However, when Swift played his first game back we beat Huddersfield 2-1.
His 2nd game, we beat Cov 3-0 and he scored a screamer.
His 3rd game we drew 0-0 with Preston Joao missed an 83rd minutes penalty.
his 4th game, we beat Bournemouth 3-1 in what looked to be the best Reading performance in years.

He got injured in the next game.

That is a sign of a player who could have been the difference between play off hopefuls and automatic hopefuls.

I think it's me that mentions Araruna. He started the season as second choice RB and I've not really praised him more than when he was playing or suggested he's more than a good RB option. Not that he's essential or will transform us.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Mar 2021 08:02

Royal Rother The big question for Paunovic in the run-in is what do with the striking options.

Does he persist with the currently hapless Joao and hope he comes back to form or drop him and hope Puscas can knock a few in as main striker?

Good question.

Just because he is off form though it doesn’t mean opposition stop going nuts marking him out the game thus opening opportunities for others. And while he may currently miss chances he is still the focal point of our attacks and wins and lays off more than anyone else can.

We saw what swapping hapless Joao for Puscas did midgame. Do we want to be starting games like that?

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 23 Mar 2021 09:31

It started to go wrong when the manager split up one of the best midfield partnerships in the league, up to that point we were solid.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Mar 2021 09:49

Yeah, beause playing an injured Rinomhota would have made all the difference.

To be honest, losing Olise, prodigious talent that he is, wouldn't be a disaster if we keep hold of Swift, Laurent and Rinomhota.

Bring in a left winger, have Meite on the right and those 3 in the middle would give us great options IMO.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Mar 2021 10:17

If only we had bone marrow

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Mar 2021 10:22

From Despair To Where? Yeah, beause playing an injured Rinomhota would have made all the difference.

To be honest, losing Olise, prodigious talent that he is, wouldn't be a disaster if we keep hold of Swift, Laurent and Rinomhota.

Bring in a left winger, have Meite on the right and those 3 in the middle would give us great options IMO.

I wouldn't be totally against selling Olise if it were big money and we could bring in two established replacements. Proper Championship players. If Wednesday go down I wonder if Barry Bannan would come?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 Mar 2021 10:32

From Despair To Where? Yeah, beause playing an injured Rinomhota would have made all the difference.

That's fine if we want to be a mid-to-upper Championship side.
If we want to be a Premier League side it is imperative that we keep hold of our most talented players (currently Olise and Richards).

Yes, other players come along and we may get lucky but this season really is one of an opportunity wasted IMHO if we don't go up-will The Championship be as weak again?
Maybe but, watching a mid-to-lower Premier League club that has been badly out of form take a top 7 Championship promotion-chasing side apart last Saturday is a stark reminder of the widening gap between the two levels and key players really need to be kept if we are serious about promotion this year, next year or sometime in the future.

In 2006 we went up with a Premier League side in waiting, the next time we didn't and we all know the outcome.
Surely we don't want that to happen again and that is why I have mixed feelings about this season-go up and probably get relegated or wait till we have a side that might be able to compete as with us in 2006 , Bournemouth a few seasons later and Leeds last season.

The trouble is the wait might be a very long time (see also Sheff Wed, Forest, Ipswich et al) so if we do have the opportunity maybe we just have to take it and bite the bullet and keep everything crossed.
Whatever, it is far, far better than worrying about relegation.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Mar 2021 10:50

My feeling is go up when you can, take the money, don't spend IT ALL, and hope to be fourth-bottom or better.

Then, try for 6th-bottom, then maybe mid-table.

I think the gap is "wrong". I think we need a Premier League 1 and 2 with 2/3 of the money going to (1) and one third to (2) so the jumps are slightly less huge.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Mar 2021 11:09

In 2006, we went up with a Premiership side that was 3 years In the making.

The big issue now is that 20 years ago, the likes of Sidwell and Harper would have been on £1000 a week at Arsenal. The equivalent players now are on £25,000 a week. Somebody could wave £40,000 a week at Olise and not bat an eyelid.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Mar 2021 11:51

From Despair To Where? In 2006, we went up with a Premiership side that was 3 years In the making.

The big issue now is that 20 years ago, the likes of Sidwell and Harper would have been on £1000 a week at Arsenal. The equivalent players now are on £25,000 a week. Somebody could wave £40,000 a week at Olise and not bat an eyelid.

Are you saying back then fringe players would be on lower wages warming the bench in the PL but now even fringe bench warmers are handed massive contracts?

Not arguing, just learning.

is it just that the relative wealth gap has widened much more?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Mar 2021 12:20

Think Millsy is rightfully pointing out the 3 / 4 games where Rino was played out of position in the front 4 rather than alongside Laurent.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Mar 2021 12:23

John Smith

I wouldn't be totally against selling Olise if it were big money and we could bring in two established replacements. Proper Championship players. If Wednesday go down I wonder if Barry Bannan would come?

Absolutely the sort of signing we should not be making.

31, in decline, big wages, plays best from deep where we already have strong young players. Not a replacement for Olise.