MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

391 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

by Snowball » 03 Apr 2021 16:40

In context, Reading FC did OK yesterday.

Only two of the top nine won on Good Friday, 3 teams lost, 4 drew

Only Watford and Bournemouth did better than Reading.

Reading’s Away Draw at Barnsley was the 3rd-best result on the day

WIN 1-0 Watford against 2nd-bottom Wednesday
WIN 3-1 Bournemouth v BORO

DRAW 1-1 Reading (Away to on-form Barnsley)
DRAW 1-1 Barnsley (Home v 6th Placed Reading)
DRAW 1-1 Norwich away to a poor Preston side
DRAW 1-1 Brentford Away, against 19th placed Huddersfield

LOST 1-0 Swansea at 21st-placed Birmingham
LOST 1-3 BORO at Bournemouth
LOST 0-1 Cardiff at home to 17th Place Forest

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Apr 2021 18:17

Snowball In context, Reading FC did OK yesterday.

Only two of the top nine won on Good Friday, 3 teams lost, 4 drew

Only Watford and Bournemouth did better than Reading.

Reading’s Away Draw at Barnsley was the 3rd-best result on the day

WIN 1-0 Watford against 2nd-bottom Wednesday
WIN 3-1 Bournemouth v BORO

DRAW 1-1 Reading (Away to on-form Barnsley)
DRAW 1-1 Barnsley (Home v 6th Placed Reading)
DRAW 1-1 Norwich away to a poor Preston side
DRAW 1-1 Brentford Away, against 19th placed Huddersfield

LOST 1-0 Swansea at 21st-placed Birmingham
LOST 1-3 BORO at Bournemouth
LOST 0-1 Cardiff at home to 17th Place Forest

I know we did ok but frustration comes from knowing it should have been better and also that now we *could* win all 7 games and still miss out. Slightly different dynamic.

The only other time this season that a play off spot has been out of our hands we suddenly went on a run and got back in.

Over the past 7 games we have picked up 12pts. If we match that, we may get enough but feel we are in a win 5 lose 2 to make it spot.

So 4 home wins and Luton. Though think we have a "shock" win over one of the top 2 in us.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Apr 2021 18:25

We need other teams to work out how to play Barnsley. Jnr said very early on in the game that we need to play long balls over the top as there was plenty of space behind them. A few minutes later Rino did that and Ovie did the rest.
Barnsley are not a technically gifted side. They rely on fitness and a hard press to get in the faces of the opposition. It’s not pretty to watch but is effective.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Apr 2021 22:01

Zip We need other teams to work out how to play Barnsley. Jnr said very early on in the game that we need to play long balls over the top as there was plenty of space behind them. A few minutes later Rino did that and Ovie did the rest.
Barnsley are not a technically gifted side. They rely on fitness and a hard press to get in the faces of the opposition. It’s not pretty to watch but is effective.

And we could do with them having some picky refs
Would totally screw them over

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Apr 2021 23:15

Interesting their manager commented about how much we played the long ball. It’s the obvious tactic against a high press, get them turning and chasing back. Play for the second ball off the striker/centre half. Also, their centre backs had no pace so the long ball and use of the channels is often effective, especially with teams playing wing backs higher up the pitch.

I thought performance was very similar to many of our first 8 fixtures. Defensively tight and solid without creating loads of chances. Difference being we scored a high percentage of our chances earlier in the season, but I’m not guessing we’re back to normal average levels. How we doing on XG now (not that I think it means much)?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Apr 2021 06:35

3points Interesting their manager commented about how much we played the long ball. It’s the obvious tactic against a high press, get them turning and chasing back. Play for the second ball off the striker/centre half. Also, their centre backs had no pace so the long ball and use of the channels is often effective, especially with teams playing wing backs higher up the pitch.

I thought performance was very similar to many of our first 8 fixtures. Defensively tight and solid without creating loads of chances. Difference being we scored a high percentage of our chances earlier in the season, but I’m not guessing we’re back to normal average levels. How we doing on XG now (not that I think it means much)?

Funny you should mention xG. Joao’s “miss of the century” only registered as 0.26xG compared to Meite’s miss at 0.47xG.

I also don’t think it means much.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2021 08:15

Hendo
3points Interesting their manager commented about how much we played the long ball. It’s the obvious tactic against a high press, get them turning and chasing back. Play for the second ball off the striker/centre half. Also, their centre backs had no pace so the long ball and use of the channels is often effective, especially with teams playing wing backs higher up the pitch.

Funny you should mention xG. Joao’s “miss of the century” only registered as 0.26xG compared to Meite’s miss at 0.47xG.

Another reason why xG is bollox.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2021 08:17

Given we completely undid them more than once with a direct ball over the top to Joao in the first game, one of which led to the red card, you'd think he'd have thought of a way to counter it over the months since.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Apr 2021 08:22

Snowflake Royal
Hendo

Another reason why xG is bollox.

Well quite

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Apr 2021 11:11

There’s long ball and there’s long ball.
Our goal game from a long ball. Lovely bit of football, direct to feet, lovely control, great finish.
Then there is packing the area with big lumps , pumping high balls in, playing for throws and corners and chucking bodies at everything in the hope something drops for a striker.
We certainly don’t do the second !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2021 11:27

It wasn't even that long. It was a pass out from GK to midfielder, turn gain a little ground and play in behind.

391 posts