MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

391 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

by Nameless » 03 Apr 2021 12:00

Snowball That disallowed "goal"

First, the heavy set striker 'went looking for" Cabral. You can see him take a quick glance
and then he shoves his ass backward and puts his arm or arms out. That is a foul IMO
and secondly also obstruction. There is also a clear handball which aids a different striker
before the ball goes over the line.

But what I really wanna say is the utter dog's-breath, classless clusterfukc shambles
on the post. Anyone count the number of players in the melee?

Barnsley should be docked 90 points for crimes against football

Just UGH!

PS Isn't it about time they changed the laws for corners. The idea that it's OK to simply block goalies from moving is anti-football.

How about a "two yard line" where all outfielders can't step over until the ball is kicked?

Why not use the existing markings and make the 6 yard box a no go area for attackers ? You could extend it to make attackers stay outside the penalty area until the ball is kicked and defenders stay inside the 6 yard box (needs refining as it would be daft to force 11 defenders to stay back).
I reckon it would be carnage for a few weeks but would get rid of the ridiculous jostling, holding, blocking etc etc.
Another option would be to change corners so that the ball had to stay on the ground, combined with changing throw ins to be roll ins (with players allowed to roll the ball to themselves).

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 03 Apr 2021 12:05

I have to admit I gave the England games a miss last week.What were they playing for anyway,the Inter Toto cup or something;however I do enjoy watching Reading games when I can.I found last evenings game entertaining,enthralling and at times comic.
I thought Barnsley started very well,then as they ran out of steam we began to take control and had the far better chances.

IMHO
Rafa,Yids and Joao were pretty bad.While Moore in particular and Rino were impressive.The rest were very much a mixed bag; although Holmes didn’t do a lot wrong.

For a game we really had to win;I think bringing on Semedo wasn’t the correct choice and Puskas or Alukho should have come on.Still what do I know.I get this nagging feeling that Pauno will be history if we don’t at least make the play offs.I predicted last week we would end up 7th or 8th and this is beginning to look more likely.That would however be a vast improvement on recent seasons.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Apr 2021 12:09

Westwood52 I have to admit I gave the England games a miss last week.What were they playing for anyway,the Inter Toto cup or something;however I do enjoy watching Reading games when I can.I found last evenings game entertaining,enthralling and at times comic.
I thought Barnsley started very well,then as they ran out of steam we began to take control and had the far better chances.

IMHO
Rafa,Yids and Joao were pretty bad.While Moore in particular and Rino were impressive.The rest were very much a mixed bag; although Holmes didn’t do a lot wrong.

For a game we really had to win;I think bringing on Semedo wasn’t the correct choice and Puskas or Alukho should have come on.Still what do I know.I get this nagging feeling that Pauno will be history if we don’t at least make the play offs.I predicted last week we would end up 7th or 8th and this is beginning to look more likely.That would however be a vast improvement on recent seasons.

Think the England games were all about the World Cup, so just minor stuff......

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Apr 2021 12:37

Westwood52 I have to admit I gave the England games a miss last week.What were they playing for anyway,the Inter Toto cup or something;however I do enjoy watching Reading games when I can.I found last evenings game entertaining,enthralling and at times comic.

IMHO

Personally, I thought Semedo should have come on a little earlier.

While a point isn't as good as a win, a defeat would have been seriously-damaging if not catastrophic. Bring on Semedo to make the point more likely, live for another day (Bank-Holiday Monday).

Outside the dumb penalty giveaway I thought Yiadom had a decent game. As for JOAO, he was ideally-placed for a pass when Meite shanked his own 1-on-1 chance, he also made a beautiful pass for Meite who missed the ball by about an inch and did OK.

Barnsley were a horrible side to play and had got 60 points-a-game over 31 games. A point there is a very good point.
Last year we'd've lost that 3-0

9 Moore MotM

7 Laurent (a 7.5, really)
7 Ejaria (as above, very nice goal)

7 Rhino
7 Holmes
7 Morrison
7 Olise... one beautiful through ball... he has the class but isn't quite at his best recently

6 Gibson Didn't do a lot wrong, apart from one very poor header
6 Yiadom (would have been 7 before the pen)

6 Meite (worked hard but fell short a few times, but a bad miss. Sharp for the JOAO chance/miss)
6 JOAO (Not as bad on the day as some are saying - bad miss OBVS)
5 Cabral. Couldn't hack the rough/clumsy/messy stuff

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Apr 2021 12:41

Nameless

First, the heavy set striker 'went looking for" Cabral. You can see him take a quick glance
and then he shoves his ass backward and puts his arm or arms out. That is a foul IMO
and secondly also obstruction. There is also a clear handball which aids a different striker

But what I really wanna say is the utter dog's-breath, classless clusterfukc shambles

Just UGH!

PS Isn't it about time they changed the laws for corners. The idea that it's OK to simply block goalies from moving is anti-football.

How about a "two yard line" where all outfielders can't step over until the ball is kicked?

Why not use the existing markings and make the 6 yard box a no go area for attackers ? You could extend it to make attackers stay outside the penalty area until the ball is kicked and defenders stay inside the 6 yard box (needs refining as it would be daft to force 11 defenders to stay back).
I reckon it would be carnage for a few weeks but would get rid of the ridiculous jostling, holding, blocking etc etc.
Another option would be to change corners so that the ball had to stay on the ground, combined with changing throw ins to be roll ins (with players allowed to roll the ball to themselves).

It might be that referees could just be told to penalise blocking (though it's hard to spot)

When I "imagined" a two yard line or whatever (but yeah the six yard line would do) I was thinking this only for the keeper or keeper +2 defenders until the ball is kicked for the corner.

I actually think it would make corners more interesting and exciting

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2021 12:42

JR
Snowflake Royal
Orion1871
Hi Don,

You're a cnut.

It didn't even cross the line ffs.

Most definitely did.

Enough half infringements to justify it being disallowed, but don’t think could have argued if given.

Yeah, you're right, the gl tech was clearer.

But you simply can't back in to a keeper. He wasn't standing his ground, Cabral ended behind the line. About as clear a foul on the keeper as you can get, not to mention total obstruction.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Apr 2021 13:09

Notts Royal
Millsy
Notts Royal Just remembered my first thought when I saw the team sheet last night...WTF did Gibson start in front of Richards? Is it because we know Richards is moving on in the summer? But then the same could be said for Gibson

Unless we’re considering a permanent deal for gibbo

Hopefully not. He’s looked decidedly average...slightly better than Esteves. But Holmes has looked better than both of them and he’s one of our own.

Agreed

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Apr 2021 13:15

windermereROYAL When you wake up the next day and think that miss was a horrible dream until it dawns on you that it did happen, I still can`t believe a professional footballer could miss that.

Yeh I'm with you. Unbelievable

Best to forget it and move on

Doesn't help when your so called mates send video clips entitled
Disastrous miss from Lucas Joao!!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Apr 2021 13:17

Snowflake Royal
JR
Snowflake Royal It didn't even cross the line ffs.

Most definitely did.

Enough half infringements to justify it being disallowed, but don’t think could have argued if given.

But you simply can't back in to a keeper. He wasn't standing his ground, Cabral ended behind the line. About as clear a foul on the keeper as you can get, not to mention total obstruction.

You're right but try telling that to Don Goodman!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2021 13:20

bcubed
Snowflake Royal
JR
Most definitely did.

You're right but try telling that to Don Goodman!

As I said in the match thread yesterday. Of course that would be his view when he was part of the Wolves side that threw Bibbo in our net at a corner to get an open goal to shoot into.

That time the ref was too shit to spot it. But we still beat the pcunt 2-1 thanks to Archie.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Apr 2021 13:26

Snowflake Royal
JR
Snowflake Royal It didn't even cross the line ffs.

Most definitely did.

I may be wrong and I haven’t checked but I don’t think there has been an offence of ‘obstruction’ for quite a while. It’s now ‘impeding progress’ and I don’t think that is what happened. The attacker actually moved into Rafael and forced him into the goal - he pushed him. Direct free kick rather than indirect.
Pure t3chnicality, there were multiple infringements !

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Apr 2021 13:29

Clinton Morrison on quest said Cabral should have been stronger, along with Lee Trundle said it shouldn`t have been disallowed, all these so called experts were strikers, coincidence?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2021 13:39

And would be clamouring for a penalty if lightly brushed with a feather in the box.

I assume the Barnsley lad should have just been stronger for their penalty?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Apr 2021 13:58

windermereROYAL Clinton Morrison on quest said Cabral should have been stronger, along with Lee Trundle said it shouldn`t have been disallowed, all these so called experts were strikers, coincidence?

None of them would be able to justify their opinion with reference to the laws though. It would all be ‘for me there was nothing in it’ or’ Looks like he got a bit of the ball so how can it be a foul’.....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2021 14:06

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
JR
Most definitely did.

I may be wrong and I haven’t checked but I don’t think there has been an offence of ‘obstruction’ for quite a while. It’s now ‘impeding progress’ and I don’t think that is what happened. The attacker actually moved into Rafael and forced him into the goal - he pushed him. Direct free kick rather than indirect.
Pure t3chnicality, there were multiple infringements !

yep can't believe there was even a debate on it. There was an arm raised into Rafael, that Anderson chap flew in leading with his elbow, and there was a handball as well. Could have been given for about 5 different offences.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Apr 2021 14:33

Snowflake Royal And would be clamouring for a penalty if lightly brushed with a feather in the box.

Indeed, the hypocrisy is comical.

“Oh, goalkeepers are far too protected these days” in one breath and in the next “there was slight contact and the striker has every right to go down”.

(Not saying Goodman said all that yesterday but you can bet your arse he has at some time or other, as has virtually every other pundit.)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2021 14:39

Snowflake Royal And would be clamouring for a penalty if lightly brushed with a feather in the box.

Yep. The Barnsley pen was soft as anything but it was the correct decision. As was the disallowed goal

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Apr 2021 14:39

Just UGH!

Has it been established that the linesman was flagging for the alleged foul on the goalie? Could he have flagged for handball?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Apr 2021 15:51

Norfolk Royal

Just UGH!

Has it been established that the linesman was flagging for the alleged foul on the goalie? Could he have flagged for handball?

No reason for it to be, he flagged for an offence, the ref blew. There was so much going on he might not have flagged for anything specific, just for the general anarchy !

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Apr 2021 15:56

Norfolk Royal Felt sorry for Liam tonight. He was absolutely immense and was clearly having to bite his tongue in that interview after the game.

The pen was soft and it was unfortunate it had to come in a game like this. That said, if we had been given it we would have been saying it was the correct decision.

We should have won the game. The chances for Meite and Joao were the best of the game by either team, admittedly both from Barnsley mistakes. Joao also should have done better with a chance in the first half which on form he probably would have scored.

Barnsley I was a bit disappointed with given the rave reviews they have been getting. They looked to be a decent championship side playing the percentages well and on good form but no more than that.

Thought Rino, Laurent, were back to their best, Ejaria was good first half then faded, Holmes did well when he came on.

Wasn’t really a game for Olise but would never take him off personally as he can hold the ball up and find a pass which others can’t.

Only gripe was letting Liam take another free kick. He duly passed it into the wall as he has done with every free kick he has taken for us, great though he was tonight.

Still fairly optimistic we will make the play offs. I think Barnsley are due a result dip on tonight’s evidence and we might go above them.

Agree with pretty much all of that, still a long way to go yet - although Monday is a fairly big game for us - don't want to get into a position where we're chasing too much given our fixture list

391 posts