Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

262 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Where do we go from here 21/22 season?

by Zip » 18 Apr 2021 18:13

Snowflake Royal If Cabral goes I think we have to sign a new one. But unless his contract is up and I missed that, I don't see him going anywhere.

Money is going to be very tight. We have two young keepers who at some stage need a chance. I would rather we gave them the chance to prove they were good enough. If they fail then we look to sign someone in the January.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2021 18:36

Zip
Snowflake Royal If Cabral goes I think we have to sign a new one. But unless his contract is up and I missed that, I don't see him going anywhere.

Money is going to be very tight. We have two young keepers who at some stage need a chance. I would rather we gave them the chance to prove they were good enough. If they fail then we look to sign someone in the January.

I'd say there's zero chance of us moving on Cabral and relying on Southwood and Andresson.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Apr 2021 18:49

Snowflake Royal
Zip

I'd say there's zero chance of us moving on Cabral and relying on Southwood and Andresson.

If we get a decent offer for him I would let him go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2021 19:11

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

I don't think we will, but if we did I would too. But even if that happens, we would certainly sign a keeper IMO.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Apr 2021 19:16

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal I'd say there's zero chance of us moving on Cabral and relying on Southwood and Andresson.

I don't think we will, but if we did I would too. But even if that happens, we would certainly sign a keeper IMO.

We probably would but I’d rather we didn’t.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 18 Apr 2021 20:03

So just speculating for fun . . . . .

If the 'big 6' get kicked out of the Premier League then they would need the equivalent from Championship to make up the numbers.

No PL relegation, Top 5 automatically promoted and 5-9th in play-off spots?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Apr 2021 07:50

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

You can't let Cabral go. He's a keeper.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 19 Apr 2021 12:38

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Andresson has been doing very well at Exeter from what I have read. It will be interesting to see who is on the bench next season. But in all likelihood cabral will stay and Southwood will leave.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Apr 2021 12:48

Was it Exeter Ward impressed at and then got released?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Apr 2021 13:17

Andresson certainly seems to have a bit about him. Seems a bit more rated at the club than Ward I reckon

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Where do we go from here 21/22 season?nality.

by Zip » 19 Apr 2021 14:52

Hound Andresson certainly seems to have a bit about him. Seems a bit more rated at the club than Ward I reckon

He’s got a personality and Exeter fans seem to like him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Where do we go from here 21/22 season?nality.

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Apr 2021 16:56

Zip
Hound Andresson certainly seems to have a bit about him. Seems a bit more rated at the club than Ward I reckon

He’s got a personality and Exeter fans seem to like him.

I definitely want my keepers to have personality. Shot stopping ability? Pah, that's for other clubs.

:wink:

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 20 Apr 2021 21:13

Dai could bring in Ed Woodward as director of football and Jose Mourinho as manager.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 20 Apr 2021 21:46

If our financial situation is as bad as it looks then i think just losing the likes of Aluko, Baldock and the other out of contract players isn't really going to be enough.

Firstly sell Olise and get as much as we can. I would like to think we can still get $12 million (Sorry, no pound sign in Canada) in the current climate.

I would be tempted to sell one of Joao or Puscas, personally i think Puscas has a better future than Joao, and a far better attitude. Puscas given the right service will score goals, he's a true preditor. Joao seems to be to messed up in the head and this is his best season to date and i find it hard to see the he will be able to replicate it. Joao would probably net us around $7 million i guess, and save us big wages.

I would also look at off loading Rafael, this is a bit of a gamble but i think one of the two young should be able to hold their own. Southwood got great reviews up in Scotland and the young lad Andreason is doing great at Exeter. Rafael would be on super big wages i would think and would save us loads of cash.

Maybe a controversial discision, but i would also get rid of Liam Moore our captain. With the emergence of McIntyre and Holme's and Morrision hanging around i feel we have more (Sorry for the pun) than enough cover in this area, as well as saving big cash.

Finally, give youth a chance....we are in a new age of football now and our academy can save us tons of cash.

Overall, not a total reset, but a big saving in wages, plus the money coming in from Olise and Joao which can help go towards a few loan signs and clever signings.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 21 Apr 2021 08:11

Crowbar6753 If our financial situation is as bad as it looks then i think just losing the likes of Aluko, Baldock and the other out of contract players isn't really going to be enough.

Firstly sell Olise and get as much as we can. I would like to think we can still get $12 million (Sorry, no pound sign in Canada) in the current climate.

I would be tempted to sell one of Joao or Puscas, personally i think Puscas has a better future than Joao, and a far better attitude. Puscas given the right service will score goals, he's a true preditor. Joao seems to be to messed up in the head and this is his best season to date and i find it hard to see the he will be able to replicate it. Joao would probably net us around $7 million i guess, and save us big wages.

I would also look at off loading Rafael, this is a bit of a gamble but i think one of the two young should be able to hold their own. Southwood got great reviews up in Scotland and the young lad Andreason is doing great at Exeter. Rafael would be on super big wages i would think and would save us loads of cash.

Maybe a controversial discision, but i would also get rid of Liam Moore our captain. With the emergence of McIntyre and Holme's and Morrision hanging around i feel we have more (Sorry for the pun) than enough cover in this area, as well as saving big cash.

Finally, give youth a chance....we are in a new age of football now and our academy can save us tons of cash.

Overall, not a total reset, but a big saving in wages, plus the money coming in from Olise and Joao which can help go towards a few loan signs and clever signings.

It is an interesting view but will leave us very threadbare and over reliant on youth (something I thought I would never say). I am an advocate for the academy and using them more but this is only any good if they have someone to learn from.
The best model is to have a senior player and an understudy with the hope the understudy will overtake the senior player in the end. as Rinhomota (Charlie Adam/ Leandro Bacuna), Olise (Swift), Richards (Obita) and currently Mcintyre and Holmes (Morrison and Moore) are doing. This gives them a chance to step up slowly standing in when injuries occur and fitness becomes an issue for the senior plyer until they then overtake them, you sell the senior player and bring on another youth player.

I don't think Mcintyre and Holmes are ready yet but another season of coming through with Morrison and Moore and they will.

as far as Rafael is concerned both Andresson and Southwood have shown they can play for a first team but they need to show that at a higher level. another year at either League 1 or being the cup keeper beckons for both of them to show they can handle the higher levels it is a big step up from SPL and League 2 for them playing week in week out at Champ Lvl.

losing Richards is a big void this year as there is no obvious understudy that has played when he has been injured and this is a massive void that must be filled. Joao and Puscas must stay or whoever leaves must be replaced you cant do a whole 46 game season without 2 strikers due to injuries and fitness they are both on long term contracts so leave that area be.

The big question is Olise, we have Swift and there maybe an understudy coming through and also Ejaria is able to play centrally. if we had a area in which did not already need improvement or cover that is the area so he could be cashed in on.

That said the money from that sale would need to be invested either via loan, free transfer or cheap lower league option at LB, a wide player and a CM (yet again Laurent, Rinhomota and Tetek are not enough for a full season). there is a lot to do this summer if we in all likelihood don't go up even more if we do.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Apr 2021 08:26

Shame we lost Holsgrove and Novakovich, they could have filled some more slots for a lot less money. Hopefully a couple of Onen, Tetek, Melvin-Lambert, Camara, Lawless, Nevers, Dorsett and Bristow can begin the full transition to first team.

See Nova has had a decent if unspectacular season, top scoring for his club in SB with 7 in 28, playing most games for a bottom half side.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Apr 2021 15:49

What players do we currently have out on loan and do we think any will get game time for us next season. For example:

McNulty has scored 2 today in the Scottish Cup quarter final.

Andresson kept another clean sheet yesterday.

Also, who are the hot properties in the U23s at the moment?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2021 17:05

McNulty won't be contributing.

Andresson really needs another loan at a higher level.

Tetek, Southwood, Onen, Melvin-Lambert, Camara, Lawless, Nevers, Dorsett and Bristow have all been highly rated / around the fringes of the first team recently.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Apr 2021 23:13

I think we have to expect the summer transfer window to be very difficult for us with FFP. We'll be losing some good players and I think it's inevitable Olise will be sold. I just hope we get £10m or more for him even though he's worth double that in my view.

We probably need 7 signings if Aluko, Baldock, Richards and Olise go as expected + Semedo and Esteves going back to their parent clubs. We need a left back or 2, at least 1 centre midfielder, 2 wingers and a striker, possibly even another right back or a right wing back.

I'd consider offers for Rafael and Puscas or Joao as well as Olise and Moore. We really could do with Moore's wages off the payroll but it'll be difficult moving him on. He's a great player but he's on ridiculous money that we really can't afford.

We already have a thin squad and I think we need to hope a few of the academy lads can cut it. Also not in favour of us signing another batch of loanees but it's probably what will happen.

To those who think we can build on this season, yes it's been a decent one but I think we have to be realistic about the financial situation. We have some quality players that we will have to replace and being able to maintain that quality and add depth in the squad will be hard. Survival wouldn't be a bad achievement next season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Apr 2021 07:02

Royal_jimmy I think we have to expect the summer transfer window to be very difficult for us with FFP. We'll be losing some good players and I think it's inevitable Olise will be sold. I just hope we get £10m or more for him even though he's worth double that in my view.

We probably need 7 signings if Aluko, Baldock, Richards and Olise go as expected + Semedo and Esteves going back to their parent clubs. We need a left back or 2, at least 1 centre midfielder, 2 wingers and a striker, possibly even another right back or a right wing back.

I'd consider offers for Rafael and Puscas or Joao as well as Olise and Moore. We really could do with Moore's wages off the payroll but it'll be difficult moving him on. He's a great player but he's on ridiculous money that we really can't afford.

We already have a thin squad and I think we need to hope a few of the academy lads can cut it. Also not in favour of us signing another batch of loanees but it's probably what will happen.

To those who think we can build on this season, yes it's been a decent one but I think we have to be realistic about the financial situation. We have some quality players that we will have to replace and being able to maintain that quality and add depth in the squad will be hard. Survival wouldn't be a bad achievement next season.

Yeah I don’t really see the grounds for optimism for next season. We will almost certainly have a worse squad. That’s the thing which annoys me most about this season. If it was up or bust then why hamper our own chances with an overly cautious approach in games.

262 posts