MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h)

336 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h)

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2021 02:03

Hopefully we can get some good crowds next season for the 150th.

Davezk

by Davezk » 17 Apr 2021 04:37

Looking at the fixtures of Barnsley, Bournemouth and even Brentford, they do have some tricky ones especially with clubs near the bottom still fighting for their lives and/or Norwich/Watford/Each other.

There could be another twist where they drop points but inevitably we'll not capitalise.

Not over though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2021 05:54

Davezk Looking at the fixtures of Barnsley, Bournemouth and even Brentford, they do have some tricky ones especially with clubs near the bottom still fighting for their lives and/or Norwich/Watford/Each other.

There could be another twist where they drop points but inevitably we'll not capitalise.

Not over though.

It's not but we desperately need Barnsley and Bournemouth to at worst only draw this weekend. 2 wins and it's done.

Given after Watford the unlikely worst case scenario of the above 2 and Swansea winning every game happened, am fully expecting 2 wins.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Apr 2021 08:05

Lower West
Snowball As someone has pointed out one club (Barnsley) have had a freakish, amazing run that nobody could have predicted.

Don't recall us playing them off the pitch. Collectively a more consistent squad in terms of performance week in week out.

Yours is a bizarre response.

I didn't say we played them off the pitch (even though we were 4:1 v them on points)

I was talking about their amazing run of the last 32 games, only 1 of that 32 against us,
where they more or less have shown form good enough for autos.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Apr 2021 08:20

Zip
Snowball ATM with just four games to go we are seven points clear of eighth.

Truth is this season SEVEN clubs stand out as noticeably better than the rest.

It’s cruel to be this much clear of eighth and not top six (though it’s not yet over)

As someone has pointed out one club (Barnsley) have had a freakish, amazing run that nobody could have predicted.

They deserve their place, no argument, but it’s still whacky and almost unreal

If we outclassed then how come they created the better chances in the game? We created very little.

Why do you use the phrase "outclassed" as if I said it?

It is a total, absolute, indisputable FACT that after last night's game we were seven points clear of the eighth club (Cardiff). With four games to go that is a very healthy gap. A 7 point gap with four to play is (to most rational, sentient beings) a sizeable gap. That is "noticeably better" by all the normal measures.

That is all I said.

IMO there was a straightforward top six of Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth (3 relegated clubs with premiership quality), Brentford (last season's PO finalists, and for may, on form, the best footballing side in the league, widely tipped early on the be top six and probably autos, Swansea, made last season's top six, and a combo of very strong defence plus Ayew... and then a slowly emerging Reading FC, with a top-four-spot striker, a 20 Million midfielder, and a LB good enough to go to Bayern. I stand by that. We were "good enough for 6th but no better" (IMO)

But Barnsley getting into the top six was highly unpredictable. Even their own fans have said they win games when they are not the better side. It's a freak, like Leicester winning the Premiership a couple years back. Brilliant for them, well done etc, manager should be Manager of the Season, but it IS an anomaly, highly unusual, unexpected etc.

We blew it, and ATM the sixth above us deserve to be above us. How many pundits predicted Barnsley to finish top six? How many Nobbers thought we would finish below Barnsley?

But, don't put words in my mouth, then criticise your own invention.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Apr 2021 08:26

Snowball Excellent point tonight.

Cardiff were eighth and with the second-best away record after Norwich

Reading dominated the second half and conceded a slightly unlucky penalty in the 86th minute but still managed to snatch a draw and take four points in the season from a tough opponent.

Yes we wanted and needed more, so we’re disappointed but a very defensive team had to fight hard to keep us out and failed.

Cardiff Away

Not actually second-best, just second best in terms of fewest defeats.

Only Norwich have lost less (4)

P21 W9 D7 L5 24-22 and that is skewed by the freak 5-0 reverse at Wednesday

Prior to the game, plenty of Nobbers expected a draw or Cardiff win

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Apr 2021 09:16

Snowball
Zip
Snowball ATM with just four games to go we are seven points clear of eighth.

Truth is this season SEVEN clubs stand out as noticeably better than the rest.

It’s cruel to be this much clear of eighth and not top six (though it’s not yet over)

As someone has pointed out one club (Barnsley) have had a freakish, amazing run that nobody could have predicted.

They deserve their place, no argument, but it’s still whacky and almost unreal

If we outclassed then how come they created the better chances in the game? We created very little.

It is a total, absolute, indisputable FACT that after last night's game we were seven points clear of the eighth club (Cardiff). With four games to go that is a very healthy gap. A 7 point gap with four to play is (to most rational, sentient beings) a sizeable gap. That is "noticeably better" by all the normal measures.

That is all I said.

IMO there was a straightforward top six of Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth (3 relegated clubs with premiership quality), Brentford (last season's PO finalists, and for may, on form, the best footballing side in the league, widely tipped early on the be top six and probably autos, Swansea, made last season's top six, and a combo of very strong defence plus Ayew... and then a slowly emerging Reading FC, with a top-four-spot striker, a 20 Million midfielder, and a LB good enough to go to Bayern. I stand by that. We were "good enough for 6th but no better" (IMO)

But Barnsley getting into the top six was highly unpredictable. Even their own fans have said they win games when they are not the better side. It's a freak, like Leicester winning the Premiership a couple years back. Brilliant for them, well done etc, manager should be Manager of the Season, but it IS an anomaly, highly unusual, unexpected etc.

We blew it, and ATM the sixth above us deserve to be above us. How many pundits predicted Barnsley to finish top six? How many Nobbers thought we would finish below Barnsley?

OK. You used the word “dominate” and referred to it as an “excellent” point. It was nothing of the sort. It was the ideal time to play Cardiff. They are in poor form with nothing to play for. We had to win. We didn’t. We created very little throughout the game. They had the better chances. Smithies made one half decent save all game from Joao when he had that attempt that led to his injury.

It was a disappointing performance lacking in urgency and creativity.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2021 09:22

Lots of lingerie laundry required for a lot of you this morning.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Apr 2021 09:37

Zip
Snowball
Zip

That is all I said.

OK. You used the word “dominate” and referred to it as an “excellent” point. It was nothing of the sort. It was the ideal time to play Cardiff. They are in poor form with nothing to play for. We had to win. We didn’t. We created very little throughout the game. They had the better chances. Smithies made one half decent save all game from Joao when he had that attempt that led to his injury.

I said "Reading dominated the second half", which they did. It was only very near the end when Reading threw everything forward that they left gaps

If you check WhoScored Cardiff blocked SEVEN shots (to Reading's 3) and made 29 Clearances (RDG 12), 15 Tackles to 7

This was a classic away performance, resolute, in-depth defending, throwing bodies in front of the ball at least seven times, soaking up pressure (Reading dominated the ball second half, wasn't it 78% possession?) and then, looking to score on the break. Classic away, classic Cardiff, and of course as the 90th minute approaches, Reading leave gaps as they push forward.

Cardiff came not-to-be-beaten, not to concede five again, and nick it if they could

65% Possession 15-10 Shots (RDG 13 from open play) Cardiff blocked 7 shots, so it wasn't like our shots were wild, just that Cardiff defended for their lives. As I said.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Apr 2021 09:44

Snowflake Royal Lots of lingerie laundry required for a lot of you this morning.

Well you had such a massive tantrum when Pauno was appointed its no surprise to see you’re happy today.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Apr 2021 09:50

Zip
You used the word “dominate” and referred to it as an “excellent” point. It was nothing of the sort. It was the ideal time to play Cardiff. They are in poor form with nothing to play for. We had to win. We didn’t. We created very little throughout the game. They had the better chances. Smithies made one half decent save all game from Joao when he had that attempt that led to his injury.

First, even allowing for RTGs it was hardly an overwhelming vote for an easy Reading win

9 predicted a RDG win, 9 said we wouldn't win.

2-0 Royality Creeps In
3-1 Seahawk
3-1 Ever Hopeful
3-1 Tidus
1-0 Royalp-we
2-1 Morganb
2-1 Snowball
2-1 Franconian Royal
2-1 Royal-67

1-1 Regular John
1-1 Horsham Royal
1-1 Up North
2-2 Royal Forester

0-1 John Smith
0-1 Jackson Corner
1-2 Royal Jimmy
0-2 Lolwut
0-2 Mid Sussex Royal

1. After losing 5-0 away Cardiff were going to fight like hell for at least a 0-0
2. Cardiff have only lost 5 games away all season, second best in the league.
3. Prior to the game they had won 9, drawn 6 = 33 points from 20 away games. Excellent Away form
4. 7 blocked shots and 25 clearances is pretty clear that we were the attacking side.

My point about the point was that a point 7th v 8th is hardly terrible, that the away side had a great away record, they were going to be resolute after Sheffield Wednesday, they have a good record at the MadStad, and the nicked a penalty with minutes left. Last year we would probably have shipped a 93rd goal as well to lose 0-2. Hell, earlier this season, Stoke, Boro, Preston, Millwall, Brentford for example, after shipping the goal we'd've shipped a second.

IMO to get that Meite goal at the death was a VERY good result.

Although a win was what we wanted (duh) the point keeps the flame burning.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Apr 2021 10:22

Stranded
Millsy Summed the season's performances perfectly, had pretty much all the features

Starting shockingly poorly
Passing around the back uselessly
Joao injury changing screwing things up
Must win - didn't
Meite heroics
Shite crosses
Pauno totally out of ideas
Baldock toothless again

No surprises at all.

We've been generally shite since the honeymoon period and getting shitter game by game.

Overpaid losers, some of whom don't want to be here. oxf*rd it.

Mate, Baldock was on for 5 mins and put in probably the cross of the match for the equaliser, just a tad harsh.

True, fantastic pick it was too.

I've always liked Baldock and appreciate his effort there.

But I was just trying to list how the game summed up so much of the post-honeymoon season for me and Baldock not scoring (despite assist and only 5mins) was just another thing I was scraping the bottom of the barrel for to make the point that the lion's share of the season was typified in this one game.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Apr 2021 10:37

Snowers. The biggest problem was we didn’t show enough urgency. We have a small squad and have used less players than any other side in the division. We needed fresh legs but it was left too late. This is where Pauno needs to improve. He will learn a lot from this season which hopefully will benefit the team next season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Apr 2021 10:38

Yeah credit to Baldock. That cross he whipped over was outstanding.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Apr 2021 10:51

Winston Biscuit been sh*t for a few years and now we look like finishing 7th people are all 'grrrr get Pauny out!'

where's your heads at?!

Aside from the great new manager bounce run we went on, has anything about the season since felt any different to any of the others we've struggled in?

Pedestrian, lack of plan B, inability to change a game.

Of course we shouldn't get rid of Pauno, but I feel sure next season will be a return to tedious struggle and going with a whimper in many games

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Apr 2021 11:48

Zip Snowers. The biggest problem was we didn’t show enough urgency. We have a small squad and have used less players than any other side in the division. We needed fresh legs but it was left too late. This is where Pauno needs to improve. He will learn a lot from this season which hopefully will benefit the team next season.

I can understand VP's reluctance to introduce Swift unless and until he really had to. We cannot afford to have him break down again. If Olise goes, we likely will be highly dependent on Swift's creativity next season. Had he been in the team for more of this season, I think we would still be in the playoffs courtesy of goals he would've scored/created from dead ball situations.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Apr 2021 11:56

LUX
Royal Rother Hopefully we can cash in on Joao. Even though he has been appalling for the last 2 months his stock is still quite high as a result of his fantastic early season goals and I suspect some team will be mug enough to pay £12m for him.

Cash in on Olise for £18m, Moore for £5m and use some of that to rebuild, and some to prop up the finances.

Then work work work on the weaknesses.

Key areas for improvement for me are Cabral’s distribution which is non league standard, Ejaria needs to deliver earlier. I like him a lot, he creates all sorts of problems with his trickery, but is generally too slow with the ball in giving defenders all the time in the world to set themselves.

Make a decision about Puscas. I don’t think Paunovic rates him (as evidenced by the (of late) utterly inept Joao starting tonight) so he should probably cash in on him as well, but if we keep him, play to his strengths whatever they are.

Get some wingers and use them.

We are so nearly a very good team.

On tonight’s game, have to give credit to Cardiff’s defence. They threw themselves in front of everything and blocked numerous goal bound shots, albeit most of them from some distance.

Armchair fan RR again. You prolly didn’t even go to the match tonight.

Tee hee.

:D

At least I watched it unlike some others who’ve commented! :wink:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Apr 2021 12:34

Rax
Zip
Hound Thought Tom Holmes was very good tonight on a brighter note against a very tough opponent in K Moore (who barely got a kick tbh)

He looks like he might become a very good player.

Yep my MoTM. He and TMac could form a great centre back partnership for many years to come.

On the point about the summer we need to do better in the loan market. Not one of the loanees was good enough to making the starting 11 if we had close to a full squad to pick from.

Good point - the only one I'd keep is Gibson, as a straight swap for Richards.

You have to be joking. Gibson is shite

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Apr 2021 13:53

RoyalBlue
Zip Snowers. The biggest problem was we didn’t show enough urgency. We have a small squad and have used less players than any other side in the division. We needed fresh legs but it was left too late. This is where Pauno needs to improve. He will learn a lot from this season which hopefully will benefit the team next season.

I can understand VP's reluctance to introduce Swift unless and until he really had to. We cannot afford to have him break down again. If Olise goes, we likely will be highly dependent on Swift's creativity next season. Had he been in the team for more of this season, I think we would still be in the playoffs courtesy of goals he would've scored/created from dead ball situations.

Without doubt. Swift has been a huge miss. The saving grace is that his ongoing hamstring problems make it unlikely a team will take the risk on signing him. I think he’s our best player.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2021 14:28

John Madejski's Wallet
Winston Biscuit been sh*t for a few years and now we look like finishing 7th people are all 'grrrr get Pauny out!'

where's your heads at?!

Aside from the great new manager bounce run we went on, has anything about the season since felt any different to any of the others we've struggled in?

Pedestrian, lack of plan B, inability to change a game.

Of course we shouldn't get rid of Pauno, but I feel sure next season will be a return to tedious struggle and going with a whimper in many games

Well yeah, it's been pretty much a classic just shy of PO run if you take out the first 12 games.

So an improvement still. It certainly hasn't been anywhere near a relegation dogfight.

336 posts