Pauno out

3542 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pauno out

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 09:23

No chance of Nigel Clough for me, I wouldn't be too inspired by McCann no matter what division we were in but it would be a decent appointment.

In an ideal world, Gareth Ainsworth would be my choice, but agreeing compensation with Wycombe given our embargo could potentially be an issue. Graeme Murty I wouldn't be sold on but, he's a club legend so will always gain support, likewise Phil Parkinson although only if we were in League One. Alex Neil would be another uninspiring yet solid choice.

I can't see us going for someone that we all know to be honest, I can imagine the next manager will end up being another import from Europe, which I'm not totally against.

If we were going to sack Pauno, we should have done it October time when our form began to dip again as both Cooper and Wilder were available and we could have potentially gone for them depending on their demands. That would have been an ambitious choice if either were willing to join.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jan 2022 09:33

Cooper has done a fantastic job with Forest, but didnt think much of the football etc he managed with Swansea. Wouldn't have wanted him back in Oct tbh. Wilder way out of our league financially with the restrictions I imagine

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Jan 2022 09:34

YorkshireRoyal99 No chance of Nigel Clough for me, I wouldn't be too inspired by McCann no matter what division we were in but it would be a decent appointment.

In an ideal world, Gareth Ainsworth would be my choice, but agreeing compensation with Wycombe given our embargo could potentially be an issue. Graeme Murty I wouldn't be sold on but, he's a club legend so will always gain support, likewise Phil Parkinson although only if we were in League One. Alex Neil would be another uninspiring yet solid choice.

I can't see us going for someone that we all know to be honest, I can imagine the next manager will end up being another import from Europe, which I'm not totally against.

If we were going to sack Pauno, we should have done it October time when our form began to dip again as both Cooper and Wilder were available and we could have potentially gone for them depending on their demands. That would have been an ambitious choice if either were willing to join.

I am hoping Wycombe don't come up and he resigns looking for a new challenge. If he becomes available with no compensation required then we'd be mad to not hire him. He'd make us hard to beat and has a great record of improving younger players which is who we will be relying on next season. Yes his brand of football is at times quite basic but maybe that is what we need?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 27 Jan 2022 09:47

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99 No chance of Nigel Clough for me, I wouldn't be too inspired by McCann no matter what division we were in but it would be a decent appointment.

I am hoping Wycombe don't come up and he resigns looking for a new challenge. If he becomes available with no compensation required then we'd be mad to not hire him. He'd make us hard to beat and has a great record of improving younger players which is who we will be relying on next season. Yes his brand of football is at times quite basic but maybe that is what we need?

Best hair in current football aswell.

I mean seriously. Its glorious.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Jan 2022 09:56

He would make us hard to beat, I just don't think he would the board's first option because of his style of play. Stam, possession-based football, Gomes, possession-based football, Paunovic, possession based football and even Bowen did the same during his tenure as well. The only one who really didn't was Clement, but he always felt like a short-term solution just to make sure we survived and we did, just.

I do think the board will be looking for someone who plays a possession/attacking style of play and has a philosophy that gives an opportunity and looks to develop youth players. Ainsworth gives us the latter, but not the former.

You could arguably say that changing our style of play this summer may be the best time to do it due to likely so many player changes and with players being out of contract, it gives any incoming manager about as clean a slate as they will ever get, but under restrictions. I think the reality is that, if we survive, we will tie down the likes of Holmes, Rino, Laurent etc to new deals as they aren't massive earners and are obviously important first team players.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Jan 2022 09:00

Liam Moore played 45 minutes for Jamaica last night. Injury sure cleared up quickly, Pauno.....

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 28 Jan 2022 09:13

Blimey! I am today years old, discovering that we actually have a "style of play!"
:o :o :o

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Jan 2022 23:21

NathStPaul Liam Moore played 45 minutes for Jamaica last night. Injury sure cleared up quickly, Pauno.....

Their loss tbh.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jan 2022 06:30

CountryRoyal
NathStPaul Liam Moore played 45 minutes for Jamaica last night. Injury sure cleared up quickly, Pauno.....

Their loss tbh.

Presuming he isn’t injured while away, the Bristol game will be interesting. Then the first home game after - v Coventry - how will the fans take to him if he plays.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2022 08:11

Sutekh
CountryRoyal

Their loss tbh.

Presuming he isn’t injured while away, the Bristol game will be interesting. Then the first home game after - v Coventry - how will the fans take to him if he plays.

He won't. He's been sidelined.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Jan 2022 11:35

This thread almost feels redundant now. Even if lose 10-0 today, Pauno will remain until the end of the season. It’s been a very good topic in terms of gaging everyones opinion on here though.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jan 2022 11:42

blythspartan This thread almost feels redundant now. Even if lose 10-0 today, Pauno will remain until the end of the season. It’s been a very good topic in terms of gaging everyones opinion on here though.

I’m not 100% convinced. I have an (optimistic) theory that somehow Dai has been persuaded that the shit tactics and god awful football is entirely down to our injuries, and that with a relatively full strength side we will easily get enough points to be safe. A few more defeats with a fit and firing Joao might be enough to make the owner a bit nervous and bite the bullet.

Like I said, an optimistic theory.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2022 12:20

CountryRoyal
blythspartan This thread almost feels redundant now. Even if lose 10-0 today, Pauno will remain until the end of the season. It’s been a very good topic in terms of gaging everyones opinion on here though.

I’m not 100% convinced. I have an (optimistic) theory that somehow Dai has been persuaded that the shit tactics and god awful football is entirely down to our injuries, and that with a relatively full strength side we will easily get enough points to be safe. A few more defeats with a fit and firing Joao might be enough to make the owner a bit nervous and bite the bullet.

It always takes the club longer to pull the trigger than fans want in these situations.

Stam got forever.

Pauno's poor end to the season could have been a sacking but he was rightly given a summer and new season after his very good start to show what he has.

Then he was saved after the poor start by that great 6 game run. Then after the four defeats by a couple of wins in the next 6. Injuries have also been his get out.

Players are returning now and we're at the business end of the season. He cannot possibly stay if we keep losing with many more of our best players fit.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Jan 2022 15:04

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

It always takes the club longer to pull the trigger than fans want in these situations.

Stam got forever.

Pauno's poor end to the season could have been a sacking but he was rightly given a summer and new season after his very good start to show what he has.

Then he was saved after the poor start by that great 6 game run. Then after the four defeats by a couple of wins in the next 6. Injuries have also been his get out.

Players are returning now and we're at the business end of the season. He cannot possibly stay if we keep losing with many more of our best players fit.

All true, but I guess the flip side is we've also had examples of Owners chopping and changing seemingly quite abruptly.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 29 Jan 2022 15:26

Pauno out!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2022 15:56

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

Stam got forever.

All true, but I guess the flip side is we've also had examples of Owners chopping and changing seemingly quite abruptly.

They've not given many managers time. But about the only manager that didn't have a large vocal group calling for his head in the last 4/5/6 years when he went was Bowen... and he wasn't even sacked

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2022 15:59

Excuses are certainly running out. Last two games have been near first team and we’ve been an absolute shambles

I don’t buy the Huddersfield game was progress or any sort of performance. I thought we were crap bar two very good goals

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Jan 2022 16:02

I've supported him due to what's happened and the injuries but we need to make a change now.

10 days without a game, its the time to do it otherwise it will be too late.

Maybe he'll resign at half time like Charlie Hurley did when we were losing 3-0.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jan 2022 16:12

Pauno out

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jan 2022 16:35

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal It always takes the club longer to pull the trigger than fans want in these situations.

Stam got forever.

They've not given many managers time. But about the only manager that didn't have a large vocal group calling for his head in the last 4/5/6 years when he went was Bowen... and he wasn't even sacked

A decision the owners must be rueing now. Thinking that he would accept a DOF role.

3542 posts