3542 posts
Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pauno out

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Sep 2021 08:22

Millsy
Brogue
Jagermesiter1871
Football fans being kneejerk morons shocker.

2 wins in 17 isn’t knee jerk and to suggest it is makes you look the moron :| :roll:

Yeah. the only moronic thing to do is to hold an opinion through thick and thin when the evidence is showing something different. It's football, things change. I was Pauno Out since last season. Now I'm changing my opinion. Noone wants any manager to fail but I'll reluctantly revert back if these few games prove to be a flash in the pan.

Yeh kind of like the wind?
Last edited by Jagermesiter1871 on 26 Sep 2021 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Sep 2021 08:23

Brogue
Jagermesiter1871
Brogue
not sure I get your point, it's a results business, he wasn't getting results, hence the pressure on him and the poll where nearly 70% of people wanted him out. He's now getting results, so is no longer under pressure. Are you new to football?

2 wins in 17 isn’t knee jerk and to suggest it is makes you look the moron :| :roll:

It is when you look at the context around it and the predicament we've been in/are in.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Sep 2021 09:42

Jagermesiter1871
Brogue
Jagermesiter1871

It is when you look at the context around it and the predicament we've been in/are in.

What context? We were very poor at the back end of last season and defensively shambolic this season before the centre back injury crisis. Rafael and Moore constantly played despite both making numerous mistakes over the past year. Constant and recurring set piece goals conceded at the far post. Injury forced Pauno’s hand rather than him being bold and dropping senior players.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Sep 2021 10:24

Yeah but apart from that.....

Credit where due eh? :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Sep 2021 10:36

Millsy
Brogue
Jagermesiter1871

Yeah. the only moronic thing to do is to hold an opinion through thick and thin when the evidence is showing something different. It's football, things change. I was Pauno Out since last season. Now I'm changing my opinion. Noone wants any manager to fail but I'll reluctantly revert back if these few games prove to be a flash in the pan.

It just shows that sacking managers for an extended poor run, most of which was of basically no consequence and in a different season is stupid. As is pulling the trigger in the first few games of a season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Sep 2021 10:54

Jagermesiter1871
Millsy
Brogue

Yeh kind of like the wind?

Not sure if you're trolling or don't get a simple point. Does the wind change over several weeks?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Sep 2021 10:55

Jagermesiter1871
Brogue
Jagermesiter1871

2 wins in 17 is knee jerk? What? And the predicament was only the beginning of this season. Do you understand the arguments being made? I'm confused.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Sep 2021 11:06

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Brogue

It just shows that sacking managers for an extended poor run, most of which was of basically no consequence and in a different season is stupid. As is pulling the trigger in the first few games of a season.

I'm not sure about "basically no consequence". I literally can't think of a more consequential outcome of missing out on promotion in our history. One bite of the cherry, massive overspend and not making it means losing Olise and a points deduction we've never had before . As I was arguing non stop at the end of last season we went from 7 points clear of second place to 7 points off the playoffs. Massively consequential we're finding out now.

Pulling the trigger in the first few games which was basically for many of us just a continuation of the months of what we had experienced before it would not have been unreasonable either which is why we (you included) were fairly on that bandwagon.

The jury is still out, even though I'm currently Pauno in due to the turnaround he's produced having brought in some of his own players, in difficult circumstances. It can change.

My point is that you look at things over a longer period of time. Most Paunophiles last season were clinging to the short honeymoon period and disregarding the rest.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 26 Sep 2021 11:19

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

I'm not sure about "basically no consequence". I literally can't think of a more consequential outcome of missing out on promotion in our history. One bite of the cherry, massive overspend and not making it means losing Olise and a points deduction we've never had before . As I was arguing non stop at the end of last season we went from 7 points clear of second place to 7 points off the playoffs. Massively consequential we're finding out now.

Pulling the trigger in the first few games which was basically for many of us just a continuation of the months of what we had experienced before it would not have been unreasonable either which is why we (you included) were fairly on that bandwagon.

The jury is still out, even though I'm currently Pauno in due to the turnaround he's produced having brought in some of his own players, in difficult circumstances. It can change.

My point is that you look at things over a longer period of time. Most Paunophiles last season were clinging to the short honeymoon period and disregarding the rest.

Good post, exactly my thoughts too. And let’s be honest had we lost to Peterborough even the most staunch ‘ Paunophiles’ would have been for turning. I want Reading fc to do well, I want pauno to do well, I don’t want to keep chopping and changing managers either, contrary to belief on here :| the last 4 results have been encouraging. Let’s see what happens over the next few as I’m not convinced we have actually turned the corner.

The qpr game is being included in this run of 4 games but it was a disappointing result considering we were 3-1 up with 15 to play

The Peterborough game we were second best in the first half against probably the worst team in the division.

The Fulham game on any other day would have been a cricket score against us if they had their shooting boots on.

And a victory against a very average Middlesbrough team.

It’s absolutely right we give him more games now let’s see if we have turned the corner. And if we reach a comfortable mid table position at the end of the season, I think everyone would be happy with that, I will be.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Sep 2021 11:29

AthleticoSpizz Yeah but apart from that.....

He definitely deserves credit for playing a big part in bringing in some very good players over the summer especially with all the restrictions in place. He also likes to see us play a pleasing brand of football. I want him to succeed but he has made plenty of mistakes and again yesterday the lack of subs was surprising.

Let’s hope the upward trend continues. Yesterday was brilliant.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Sep 2021 11:46

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

We weren't winning the POs even if we made them and I think we'd have come straight back down in a worst state if by some miracle we did.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Sep 2021 11:49

Lot's of revisionism for last season on here. Obviously we couldn't sustain our excellent start, but if you look from November - late Feb or so we continued to look every bit good enough for a top 6 finish. Then Joao lost form and we had a few injuries and the season finished badly for a squad lacking depth.

So you could say that Pauno has an excellent record except one bad run and a start to the season where we had a threadbare squad.

I'm going to go in the middle. Pauno has been perfectly good and an improvement on the past 5 years or so. But he can improve, particularly with his subs and having a plan B.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Sep 2021 11:52

Zip

He definitely deserves credit for playing a big part in bringing in some very good players over the summer especially with all the restrictions in place. He also likes to see us play a pleasing brand of football. I want him to succeed but he has made plenty of mistakes and again yesterday the lack of subs was surprising.

agreed, and yes all of us ‘greats’ make mistakes

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Sep 2021 12:05

WestYorksRoyal Lot's of revisionism for last season on here. Obviously we couldn't sustain our excellent start, but if you look from November - late Feb or so we continued to look every bit good enough for a top 6 finish. Then Joao lost form and we had a few injuries and the season finished badly for a squad lacking depth.

So you could say that Pauno has an excellent record except one bad run and a start to the season where we had a threadbare squad.

I'm going to go in the middle. Pauno has been perfectly good and an improvement on the past 5 years or so. But he can improve, particularly with his subs and having a plan B.

+1 ... very well argued.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Sep 2021 13:01

AthleticoSpizz
Zip

agreed, and yes all of us ‘greats’ make mistakes

Yes. I think Zipper sniffer makes a good point. A few of us we’re saying Pauno was being let down by his senior players. The shake up has happened and we’re seeing improvements.

I hope it continues.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Sep 2021 13:24

He's definitely got some quality, which makes the inaction over the early season problems and end of last season fall off all the more frustrating.

He obviously knows how he wants us to play and he's certainly got the best from Swift, Olise, Laurent at times etc. Very nice flowing attack, apart from my personal bugbear, although he's being forced to up his tempo by the others now.

But I just don't know how much credit, if any, he can really get for the defensive improvement. Every single change that has helped has been enforced. Thats definitely one for a longer term time will tell. On the plus side, these recent results have really taken the pressure off, which should, on its own, help with the defensive lapses

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Sep 2021 14:02

Snowflake Royal He's definitely got some quality, which makes the inaction over the early season problems and end of last season fall off all the more frustrating.

He obviously knows how he wants us to play and he's certainly got the best from Swift, Olise, Laurent at times etc. Very nice flowing attack, apart from my personal bugbear, although he's being forced to up his tempo by the others now.

But I just don't know how much credit, if any, he can really get for the defensive improvement. Every single change that has helped has been enforced. Thats definitely one for a longer term time will tell. On the plus side, these recent results have really taken the pressure off, which should, on its own, help with the defensive lapses

I don’t think those changes were enforced. Was anyone saying Tetek should play at right back? A few of us were saying Yiadom should play centre back, but I for one was imagining Rino at right back in that situation.

It’s a miracle that such a cobbled-together back line managed to put in that kind of performance and I think that has to be down to coaching.

As for why Moore and Morrison have been so out of sorts this season, I don’t know. But I definitely think you have to give Paunovic and his staff a lot of credit for yesterday.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 26 Sep 2021 14:22

SCIAG Was anyone saying Tetek should play at right back?

According to Twitter:

Zvonko Živković (Serbia U21 manager) played Dejan Tetek at right-back against North Macedonia U21 a few weeks ago.

So he has played there before, just not for Reading.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Sep 2021 17:01

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal He's definitely got some quality, which makes the inaction over the early season problems and end of last season fall off all the more frustrating.

I don’t think those changes were enforced. Was anyone saying Tetek should play at right back? A few of us were saying Yiadom should play centre back, but I for one was imagining Rino at right back in that situation.

It’s a miracle that such a cobbled-together back line managed to put in that kind of performance and I think that has to be down to coaching.

As for why Moore and Morrison have been so out of sorts this season, I don’t know. But I definitely think you have to give Paunovic and his staff a lot of credit for yesterday.

Rinomhota is injured so could hardly play at RB could he. Yiadom is the obvious CB substitute as he's actually played there.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Sep 2021 18:41

Some people with a predefined narrative woukdn’t Give Pauno credit if we won the league, FA Cup, Ryder Cup and best album in the NME awards.
Whether you think the selection wasforced on him or not he nonetheless had to buoy a team for the game which could play despite being in unfamiliar positions. Not one player looked out of place, there was 100% commitment.
He deserves credit for the last few results , no doubt.

3542 posts