Pauno out

3542 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno out

by Zip » 11 Sep 2021 21:18

Hound
Zip
Snowflake Royal The defence has been a disgrace all season. Morrison and especially Yiadom and Moore have been oxf*rd up constantly. Holmes is still left sitting on the bench.

The manager owns every single oxf*rd up from those three at this point because he's doing nothing to improve them. Nothing to organise them and nothing to drop them.

Moore is unrecognisable from the player we signed five years ago. I just don’t get how he has become so poor.

Yeah same. He just looks a dreadful defender at this level atm. Slow, behind play, easy to beat, poor in the air. And the defence is a shambles so he isn’t organising either

I know I’m contradicting myself by taking notice of the presser but Pauno seemed fuming with the lack of organisation in defence. He must have been referring to the CBs

He referred to the defending as childish. He was fuming at the end. Clearly feeling the pressure now.
Anyway let’s see what side is selected on Tuesday and who is missing because of injury.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 11 Sep 2021 21:21

Scored 3 and could have scored more, even without a player of Joao’s calibre.

With Scott Dann coming in, one would trust that some (higher) quality and (better) experience will start to address the defensive frailties.

Zonal marking can do one though….

The team need to shake off this ‘non-winning’/losing mentality. Today demonstrated, to me, a step toward that aim.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 11 Sep 2021 21:21

royalstevep68
Zip Replace Pauno with who?
He has had no money to spend. No chance to strengthen in January. He deserves the summer to mould the squad to suit his playing style but will need a good start to next season that’s for sure

Exactly, think it took compelling 4 seasons to get reading playing the way he wanted with his players. Took McDermott a couple of seasons too.

Brian was able to adapt the system to get the best out of the players already at the club in his first season. He didn’t need to make lots of signings.

Pauno can’t adapt the system & has poor game management.

Not really the right comparison to make

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Sep 2021 21:25

Millsy
Zip
Snowflake Royal Good my arse. We were decent going forward bar a Swift masterclass and as awful as always in defence.

We were pretty poor in the first half. At one point we were all looking at each other as the body language of the players was so poor with all of them with their heads down.
The second half was much better going forward but dear God defensively we were constantly looking stretched and looked so vulnerable

All about opinions I guess. Even before we equalised at 1-0 down I thought we were playing well and predicted we'd come back or even win.

I'd love to be proven right with my Paunoscepticism and see us screw up but I honestly thought defensive weakness aside we looked good. It was no suprise to me that we then went on to score 3 goals. We were winning balls and cutting through them like we were on fire.

Our issues are clearly defensive and mental and gamplan.

Probably the biggest positive for me is this is the first time I saw Puscas doing a really good job on his own. I don't know if he just put in good effort or if Pauno has done something different for him not expecting him just to be João. I dunno but there was something exciting about our play.

People saying we also played well against Preston are forgetting the small facts that a) we had JOAO in that game and b) Preston were utterly shite. Chalk and cheese comparison.

We had no João this game and QPR are a thoroughly decent dangerous side and yet we attacked very well and were seconds or inches away from winning. A definite improvement for me but I don't think anyone disagrees (apart from stubborn Pauno) that our defence is utter shite.

I think today is the fine straw for VP with that CB partnership. Am expecting Holmes there on Tuesday and maybe even Dann if fit.

He is clearly oxf*rd livid with them. Today feels like the last straw.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 11 Sep 2021 22:39

Zip
Millsy
Zip
We were pretty poor in the first half. At one point we were all looking at each other as the body language of the players was so poor with all of them with their heads down.
The second half was much better going forward but dear God defensively we were constantly looking stretched and looked so vulnerable

All about opinions I guess. Even before we equalised at 1-0 down I thought we were playing well and predicted we'd come back or even win.

I'd love to be proven right with my Paunoscepticism and see us screw up but I honestly thought defensive weakness aside we looked good. It was no suprise to me that we then went on to score 3 goals. We were winning balls and cutting through them like we were on fire.

Probably the biggest positive for me is this is the first time I saw Puscas doing a really good job on his own. I don't know if he just put in good effort or if Pauno has done something different for him not expecting him just to be João. I dunno but there was something exciting about our play.

People saying we also played well against Preston are forgetting the small facts that a) we had JOAO in that game and b) Preston were utterly shite. Chalk and cheese comparison.

We had no João this game and QPR are a thoroughly decent dangerous side and yet we attacked very well and were seconds or inches away from winning. A definite improvement for me but I don't think anyone disagrees (apart from stubborn Pauno) that our defence is utter shite.

The one definite improvement was that we involved Puscas far more by punting balls long for him to chase. We didn’t dick around with sideways and backward passes amongst the back four which was a relief.

It wasn’t pretty but he did make life uncomfortable for their centre backs. He desperately needs a goal and worked his heart out for one. Hopefully the goal will come on Tuesday night.

I mean it’s obvious really isn’t it! Obvious that he wants the ball in behind & can outmuscle a defender when running the channels. Why on Earth has it taken the coaching staff this long to realise?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Sep 2021 22:41

Notts Royal
Zip
Millsy

The one definite improvement was that we involved Puscas far more by punting balls long for him to chase. We didn’t dick around with sideways and backward passes amongst the back four which was a relief.

It wasn’t pretty but he did make life uncomfortable for their centre backs. He desperately needs a goal and worked his heart out for one. Hopefully the goal will come on Tuesday night.

I mean it’s obvious really isn’t it! Obvious that he wants the ball in behind & can outmuscle a defender when running the channels. Why on Earth has it taken the coaching staff this long to realise?

Yep. It’s taken far too long.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Sep 2021 23:37

Zip
Notts Royal
Zip

Yep. It’s taken far too long.

So of course Pauno just takes him off. Leaving us strikerless too. I only hope Pauno didn't do it in a knee jerk anger reaction after that missed chance.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Sep 2021 23:39

Hound
Zip
Snowflake Royal The defence has been a disgrace all season. Morrison and especially Yiadom and Moore have been oxf*rd up constantly. Holmes is still left sitting on the bench.

The manager owns every single oxf*rd up from those three at this point because he's doing nothing to improve them. Nothing to organise them and nothing to drop them.

Moore is unrecognisable from the player we signed five years ago. I just don’t get how he has become so poor.

Yeah same. He just looks a dreadful defender at this level atm. Slow, behind play, easy to beat, poor in the air. And the defence is a shambles so he isn’t organising either

I know I’m contradicting myself by taking notice of the presser but Pauno seemed fuming with the lack of organisation in defence. He must have been referring to the CBs

Lack of john O'Shea's influence?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Sep 2021 00:04

Stranded
Millsy
Zip

I think today is the fine straw for VP with that CB partnership. Am expecting Holmes there on Tuesday and maybe even Dann if fit.

Bet Moore plays Tuesday.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Sep 2021 00:08

Notts Royal
royalstevep68
Zip Replace Pauno with who?
He has had no money to spend. No chance to strengthen in January. He deserves the summer to mould the squad to suit his playing style but will need a good start to next season that’s for sure

Exactly, think it took compelling 4 seasons to get reading playing the way he wanted with his players. Took McDermott a couple of seasons too.

Brian was able to adapt the system to get the best out of the players already at the club in his first season. He didn’t need to make lots of signings.

Pauno can’t adapt the system & has poor game management.

Not really the right comparison to make

This. You work with what you’ve got and no fcuking complaining.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Sep 2021 00:10

Was always going to be a tricky game....Dickie

Gave the pretenders to the throne a decent game.

Next game maybe we”ll see the full effect of our loanees...were was Drinkeater and Danns?

.....oh....injured already?....life rolls on..... :arrow:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Sep 2021 08:52

Anything less than a win Tuesday and he's got to go

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Sep 2021 12:35

In hindsight, I'm definitely questioning ditching Bowen. I think he'd have got us in the top half last season with a fit Joao, and we wouldn't be showing the fragility you currently see.

If Pauno does go, I'd like to see us go for a similar appointment again, as opposed to another Gomes or Pauno. But I'd give Pauno until the next international break. Improvement by then is essential otherwise it's time for him to go.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Sep 2021 13:39

Royal_jimmy Anything less than a win Tuesday and he's got to go

+1

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Sep 2021 15:02

WestYorksRoyal In hindsight, I'm definitely questioning ditching Bowen. I think he'd have got us in the top half last season with a fit Joao, and we wouldn't be showing the fragility you currently see.

If Pauno does go, I'd like to see us go for a similar appointment again, as opposed to another Gomes or Pauno. But I'd give Pauno until the next international break. Improvement by then is essential otherwise it's time for him to go.

There is no chance these recurring set piece problems would be occurring if Bowen was in charge.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 Sep 2021 21:16

Zip
WestYorksRoyal In hindsight, I'm definitely questioning ditching Bowen. I think he'd have got us in the top half last season with a fit Joao, and we wouldn't be showing the fragility you currently see.

There is no chance these recurring set piece problems would be occurring if Bowen was in charge.

I agree…most of us were unhappy with how he was disposed with. It felt like Dai has taken us backwards after Bowen’s gradual improvement; it takes time which is lost on our owner. Ok post-Covid the performances weren’t great, but it was a bloated squad and it was an odd time for the whole world. I very much doubt we’d be in this position right now if he was still here.

We are now back to where we were 2 years ago when Gomes left. Thanks a lot Dai

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Sep 2021 22:27

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Millsy

Bet Moore plays Tuesday.

Just asking a Q here, but why all the hate for Moore? He did some good stuff to keep them out. The first goal wasn't his fault, it was the system ensuring QPR had an unmarked player who could do wtf he liked. Ok the second goal seemed pretty much Moore's responsibility as he just let the goalscorer go but that's again the system of not being asked to mark his man but just that patch of grass so by the time he ran across into Morro's (too slow to be anywhere near him) then Yiadom's zones it was too late and the third goal actually if anyone was shite it was Morro who seemed to just walk off the pitch and stand there picking his nose until the goal went in, while the likes of Holmes and Moore were going nuts running around trying to keep the ball out. No idea why Morro didn't step onto the pitch and even just stand on the line somewhere.

Still I'm not going to blame Morro either as none of us likes scapegoating people, I just want to know where the anti-Moore specifically comes from - his wage? Yeh he's been hit and miss but the defence generally has just been a circus act.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 13 Sep 2021 00:11

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Bet Moore plays Tuesday.

Just asking a Q here, but why all the hate for Moore? He did some good stuff to keep them out. The first goal wasn't his fault, it was the system ensuring QPR had an unmarked player who could do wtf he liked. Ok the second goal seemed pretty much Moore's responsibility as he just let the goalscorer go but that's again the system of not being asked to mark his man but just that patch of grass so by the time he ran across into Morro's (too slow to be anywhere near him) then Yiadom's zones it was too late and the third goal actually if anyone was shite it was Morro who seemed to just walk off the pitch and stand there picking his nose until the goal went in, while the likes of Holmes and Moore were going nuts running around trying to keep the ball out. No idea why Morro didn't step onto the pitch and even just stand on the line somewhere.

Still I'm not going to blame Morro either as none of us likes scapegoating people, I just want to know where the anti-Moore specifically comes from - his wage? Yeh he's been hit and miss but the defence generally has just been a circus act.

I think it’s a case of Moore being captain of this club and the defence doesn’t look like they could organise a piss up in a brewery - no clean sheets since March and 2 wins in 17 makes fans question roles and responsibilities :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2021 08:07

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Bet Moore plays Tuesday.

He's captain and a senior CB, he bears the brunt of the responsibility and is making numerous errors game in/game out and often makes the same error - it just grates after a while. Who knows, he may actually improve with Dann next to him.

And this has been mentioned many times but as you mention zones - we only usual zonal marking for corners and certainly not in open play.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2021 09:07

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Bet Moore plays Tuesday.

He's our top paid player, worst defender and captain with responsibility for organising the defence on the field, and it's a total shambles. We've collapsed time after time and he's the one who is supposed to keep the players going and manage the game. He's been at fault for multiple goals this season, and has consistently played poorly for years. He constantly has to throw his body in the way at the last second because he's so poor at actually defending.

Quite frankly, the sooner he's gone the better.

Morrison may not be playing well, but he was a far superior defender to Moore last season, and I have every faith will come good this season if we get defensive coach with a clue, get some midfield protection and drop Moore for someone who can defend.

3542 posts