Pauno out

3542 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Pauno out

by Stranded » 06 May 2021 19:27

Snowball
morganb On the sliding scale of how expensive managers are, do we think Pauno and his backroom staff are at the cheaper end of things? I was wondering if any money could be saved by letting them all go and getting a cheaper manager and (less) staff in. I guess a sacked manager would get some kind of settlement so we would then effectively be paying for two managers and not saving any money.

From Pauno's perceived tone in the interview (from the way things were phrased I thought he sounded quite down/vulnerable?) I wonder if there could be a 1 year break clause in his contract based on performance/Mr Dai's perception of the success of the season/which side of the bed Mr Dai gets out of.

I suppose it's POSSIBLE that the owners said, "If you don't get promoted" or "If you don't make the POs" then we reserve the right to cancel your contract...

But frankly, the idea that we were going to make top six or autos this season? Far from likely

I don't remember but weren't we favourites for RELEGATION at the start of the season?

I would imagine most clubs have an end of season review and look ahead to the next. I would expect us to be no different. Part of that review may be the ability for the club or either party to walk away.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 07 May 2021 08:56

Royalwaster
SouthDownsRoyal I think PAUNO will stay at least for one more season

Well I think he will at least start another season - not sure if he'll make it to the end though.

Interesting. Hope not

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 May 2021 06:35

Brogue
windermereROYAL Let this fukking thread die FFS. :shock:

It’s more relevant now that it ever has been :roll:

No it isn't because its never been relevant :|

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 May 2021 07:23

Simmops
Brogue
windermereROYAL Let this fukking thread die FFS. :shock:

I think, unfortunately, when there are quotes attributed to VP where he has doubts if he'll be here then there is some relevance to this chat.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 May 2021 08:35

Stranded
Simmops
Brogue

I think, unfortunately, when there are quotes attributed to VP where he has doubts if he'll be here then there is some relevance to this chat.

Indeed. We improved under Bowen. He was sacked. We have improved under Pauno but he may suffer the same fate. About time we heard from our owners. I have no idea what they want out of all of this. Are they in this for the long haul?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 May 2021 10:57

Stranded
Simmops
Brogue

There's justification to the idea the owners might pull the trigger because they're utter clowns, but not for any fans saying he should go.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 May 2021 14:38

PaUnO OuT HuRp DuRpY DuRp DuRp

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 08 May 2021 14:58

Pauno out
Ainsworth in

Perfect opportunity now Wycombe are down.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 May 2021 17:41

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Simmops

There's justification to the idea the owners might pull the trigger because they're utter clowns, but not for any fans saying he should go.

Why are they clowns? Because they brought in Pauno?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 May 2021 17:49

leon
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Because Pauno is the first manager to finish a season they started under their tenure.
Because despite improving Pauno doesn't know if he has a job.
Because despite improving us Bowen got sacked.
About a week before the season started.
Because they appointed a new manager without removing the old one.
Because they thought they could buy off Bowen by moving him sideways
Because they allowed Gourlay to put us in the financial shitter.
Because we're still spending twice our income and oxf*rd on FFP
Because despite our financial issues they refused to sell players we could get excellent money for.
And then handed Moore a PL salary for 4 years.
And after just squeaking out of a soft transfer embargo spunked millions on new signings that immediately put us back under a transfer embargo
Because they moved Howe out of control when he voiced concerns about our finances after he took over from Gourlay.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 May 2021 18:28

Snowflake Royal
leon
Snowflake Royal There's justification to the idea the owners might pull the trigger because they're utter clowns, but not for any fans saying he should go.

Because Pauno is the first manager to finish a season they started under their tenure.
Because despite our financial issues they refused to sell players we could get excellent money for.
And after just squeaking out of a soft transfer embargo spunked millions on new signings that immediately put us back under a transfer embargo
Because they moved Howe out of control when he voiced concerns about our finances after he took over from Gourlay.

So Pauno in?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 May 2021 18:43

1 win, 7 draws and 3 defeats from our last 11.

Just 10 points. If that rate continues next season we'll be relegated.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pauno

by Jackson Corner » 08 May 2021 18:46

With 12 games to go we were comfortably in the top six and really only needed to win four or five of those final 12 games to secure a play-off spot. Instead we had one win out of 12 and that was against hapless derby. And this is why this thread is still continuing.

Bearing in mind the contract situation of certain players and certain players will be leaving It is unlikely we will have the funds to replace them. Then I can only envisage a relegation scrap next season, some of the performances over the last 12 matches have been Abysmal and seventh place flattered us.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno

by Zip » 08 May 2021 18:59

Jackson Corner With 12 games to go we were comfortably in the top six and really only needed to win four or five of those final 12 games to secure a play-off spot. Instead we had one win out of 12 and that was against hapless derby. And this is why this thread is still continuing.

Bearing in mind the contract situation of certain players and certain players will be leaving It is unlikely we will have the funds to replace them. Then I can only envisage a relegation scrap next season, some of the performances over the last 12 matches have been Abysmal and seventh place flattered us.

One in eleven as it happens and seventh place feels about right over the entire season. Which teams that finished below us deserved to be above us? I can’t think of any.
As for next season we really need to see how the summer pans out and see what shape the squad is in. We have though moved from relegation strugglers two seasons ago to mid table last season then just outside the play offs this time so we are heading in the right direction.

That’s not to say everything is fine because we have had a very disappointing run in. Pauno mustn’t allow this to continue into next season.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 May 2021 19:16

With one minute to go today, we were "on" 72 points
with Bournemouth in sixth

I was all ready to post the simple fact that had we held on for the
win in Bournemouth we would have been sixth, Bournemouth 7th.

Fine margins.

I feel very optimistic. People keep selecting the exact number of games
to make us look bad and ignore the three games won immediately before this run,
or say the opening 8 don't count.

What I see is we are a young, occasionally naive side, who can, at times, play
great football. People are harping on about lack of wins, but you could justas
easily say we are getting hard to beat. In the last 14 games we lost three games,
all away at Norwich (Champions) and Watford (promoted already).

The Birmingham game is the only "bad" result and that was freaky.

Of the top six, we WD against Barnsley, WL versus Bournemouth and Watford
and shared the points twice versus Swansea. We aren't that far away, really.

Losing H&A to Brentford and Norwich really hurt us, but is that really a surprise?

Gooding and Co at the start of the season predicted 14th/15th and Dellor 6th

A tiny smidgeon of good luck, one-two less injuries and we would be in the POs.

It's been a good (if weird) season

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 08 May 2021 19:48

I'd give anything just to keep a manager for a couple of years and let them actually build a relationship with the club and players. We've actually had some fantastic performances this season, I feel more comfortable in Pauno to achieve something longer term if he can stabilise our performances.

Also, I have no understanding of how football finance works, but I'm guessing it isn't free to just sack a manager? I don't see that we have the ability to splash cash this summer, so I'd be perfectly happy for Pauno to keep building up some team togetherness with a few younger players. I don't see how there can be any "strengthening with a couple of additions" or "pinching a rising star", I think it's pretty much "hold onto whoever we can" and keep working hard.

In which case as Pauno knows the players, let him work with that.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 May 2021 19:59

Very much this ^

....and what a silly thread in the first place.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 May 2021 20:44

leon
Snowflake Royal
leon

So Pauno in?

I've never had a problem with Pauno beyond his lack of relevant experience to be appointed.

Of course Pauno in. Why do you think I started a thread saying as much. :roll:

I don't automatically hate the new manager just because they replaced someone I liked and didn't think should be sacked. This may make me rare here.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 May 2021 20:56

No Ian, it truly doesn’t

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 May 2021 21:03

Snowflake Royal
leon
Snowflake Royal There's justification to the idea the owners might pull the trigger because they're utter clowns, but not for any fans saying he should go.

Tbf you can turn a lot of this on it’s head post Gourlay which was obvs a fcuk up of major proportions

Got a brand new training ground l, turned a dismal, old, overpaid squad round and now have very few on long expensive contracts and instead have lots of saleable assets

Despite being under embargo we’ve gone from relegation probabilities to just missing out on the POs

Every manager they have brought in have arguably improved us - certainly the last two

Invested in the academy and now reaping the rewards with Olise, Holmes, TMc, Rino all coming through to be regulars with another set - Tetek, Southwood, Onen on the fringes

It was going to take a hell of an effort to bring us round from the hole we were in 2-3 years ago and they might just have done it

3542 posts