3542 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pauno out

by blythspartan » 13 Sep 2021 19:42

Zip
Hendo
morganb
I wondered that as well, if he was trying to protect our one fit senior striker as there is a game on Tuesday and we'd not need to score more goals v QPR as we were ahead at the time.

Perhaps bringing on Holmes was the issue - should he have brought on Clarke instead, a positionally like-for-like replacement rather than affecting the defence?

I think the sub made sense, especially when you only have one fit senior striker. If he had left Puscas on and it had stayed 3-1 but he then pulled up and got injured, Pauno would've got pelters for that with people saying "the game was won, why didn't he look after Puscas".

Then take off Puscas and bring on one of our young strikers. Also bring on Holmes but take off the knackered Ejaria. Why make just the one sub? Why leave us with no one up front to relieve the pressure a bit? We had the same issues with Pauno and subs last season. He really seems clueless.

Completely agree with this.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Sep 2021 20:45

I don’t disagree. Felt the Puscas sub was a poor move at the time and was very frustrated by it

Do wonder if he just felt Tetek and Hoilett - as our only two other really viable subs - just weren’t in the right condition after the international week. Maybe felt Holmes was the only one fit enough with any kind of experience

Still agreed Ejaria was running on empty and no real need to take of Puscas when he was starting to cause them real problems

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2021 23:46

Hound I don’t disagree. Felt the Puscas sub was a poor move at the time and was very frustrated by it

Do wonder if he just felt Tetek and Hoilett - as our only two other really viable subs - just weren’t in the right condition after the international week. Maybe felt Holmes was the only one fit enough with any kind of experience

Still agreed Ejaria was running on empty and no real need to take of Puscas when he was starting to cause them real problems

I know you're speculating, but if he didn't bring on Tetek or Hoilett because he didn't think they were fit enough to play less than 20 minutes, that's madness.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Sep 2021 23:52

Agreed. If someone isn't fit enough to play 20mins they shouldn't be on the bench.

The Puscas sub was just one big cockup and there's pretty much no defence for it. I believe even Pauno has accepted this.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Sep 2021 05:54

Millsy Agreed. If someone isn't fit enough to play 20mins they shouldn't be on the bench.

The Puscas sub was just one big cockup and there's pretty much no defence for it. I believe even Pauno has accepted this.

Yep. VP was very open that the sub was his cock up.

under the tin

by under the tin » 14 Sep 2021 07:50

IMO subbing Puscas was a terrible decision.
Puscas was having his best game in the shirt since.....? We fans could see it, his team mates could see it, he knew it himself, and was possibly thinking that this was the game where he could start firing again.
Now, for him, it's start all over again vs. Posh.
Confidence plays a massive part in determining performance levels, particularly amongst strikers.
It's all very well talking about protecting players, but it's common knowledge that that they all hate getting hooked when things are going well for them. Most of them are honest enough to put their hands up when subbed if they're having a stinker.
I hope that GP can take that level vs QPR into the next game, and no damage has been done to his already frail confidence.
Lets face it, he already knows loads about bench warming and getting subbed, has a manager who plays only one system, one up top, and that manager will for certain play Joao there as soon as he is fit.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Sep 2021 07:58

under the tin IMO subbing Puscas was a terrible decision.
Puscas was having his best game in the shirt since.....? We fans could see it, his team mates could see it, he knew it himself, and was possibly thinking that this was the game where he could start firing again.
Confidence plays a massive part in determining performance levels, particularly amongst strikers.
It's all very well talking about protecting players, but it's common knowledge that that they all hate getting hooked when things are going well for them. Most of them are honest enough to put their hands up when subbed if they're having a stinker.
I hope that GP can take that level vs QPR into the next game, and no damage has been done to his already frail confidence.
Lets face it, he already knows loads about bench warming and getting subbed, has a manager who plays only one system, one up top, and that manager will for certain play Joao there as soon as he is fit.

I think you are overestimating the impact on Puscas there, it was 10 mins from the end - strikers are often withdrawn around that time when a team are winning, yes this was a mistake but it shouldn't impact him at all - if it does, then he is in the wrong career. The manager accepts it was a mistake and he should have withdrawn a midfielder and Puscas should be able to take the confidence of his performance on to tonight and hopefully get off the mark.

Noticeable that the team were playing slightly different balls in to him as well on Saturday, so long may that continue - the 2 week break has clearly been used to focus on getting the ball to him in a way he can utilise it best not just asking him to be what he can't be.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Sep 2021 08:30

It felt like Swift was a lot closer to him, and to a lesser extent Ovie and AH as well.

Can see Swift continuing to score quite a few - he is playing pretty much #10 now

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Sep 2021 08:34

Hound It felt like Swift was a lot closer to him, and to a lesser extent Ovie and AH as well.

Can see Swift continuing to score quite a few - he is playing pretty much #10 now

Just got to be careful with him. I hope Ejaria and Halilović start weighing in with some goals soon to take the pressure off Swift a bit. It will allow the manager to start Swift on the bench every now and then to give him a break, history tells us he is the type of player who needs a game off here and there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Sep 2021 09:01

NathStPaul
Hound It felt like Swift was a lot closer to him, and to a lesser extent Ovie and AH as well.

Just got to be careful with him. I hope Ejaria and Halilović start weighing in with some goals soon to take the pressure off Swift a bit. It will allow the manager to start Swift on the bench every now and then to give him a break, history tells us he is the type of player who needs a game off here and there.

I do get concerned that clearly oppo managers will be saying stop swift - stop Reading. Which would be pretty much true. And obviously that will prob include some hefty challenges along the way from the more agricultural teams (ie Stoke did it first game)

And thats without the hammy history issues

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Sep 2021 09:37

our resident twitter belmont is at it again. More shocked that Ady Williams communicates with him.

Anyway, he is cheering on for a Peterborough win tonight so Pauno can be sacked. Oh the joys.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Sep 2021 09:37

Stranded
under the tin IMO subbing Puscas was a terrible decision.

I think you are overestimating the impact on Puscas there, it was 10 mins from the end - strikers are often withdrawn around that time when a team are winning, yes this was a mistake but it shouldn't impact him at all - if it does, then he is in the wrong career. The manager accepts it was a mistake and he should have withdrawn a midfielder and Puscas should be able to take the confidence of his performance on to tonight and hopefully get off the mark.

Noticeable that the team were playing slightly different balls in to him as well on Saturday, so long may that continue - the 2 week break has clearly been used to focus on getting the ball to him in a way he can utilise it best not just asking him to be what he can't be.

Agreed. Good point tinny, but it's great that Pauno accepts the cockup. We know he's not a bad chap, honest and decent, and he almost certainly has the man skills to put an arm round Puscas and tell him too. If he'd been pig headed about it and defended it somehow then yeah it could affect him but not when he's admitting it was wrong. If Puscas can't take that then yeah it's his problem not Pauno's.

Having said that, I have a tiny dark feeling that he took him off in disgust for missing that header - that would of course be devastating so it's really all down to Pauno to apologise and keep Puscas focussed.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Sep 2021 09:42

paultheroyal our resident twitter belmont is at it again. More shocked that Ady Williams communicates with him.

Anyway, he is cheering on for a Peterborough win tonight so Pauno can be sacked. Oh the joys.

Why don't you challenge his opinion then? Have a debate?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Sep 2021 09:54

NathStPaul
paultheroyal our resident twitter belmont is at it again. More shocked that Ady Williams communicates with him.

You cant debate with people like that nor would i want to. Abusive, rude, disrespectful, unhinged, pathetic. Clearly some deep rooted issues going on there.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Sep 2021 09:59

paultheroyal
NathStPaul

You cant debate with people like that nor would i want to. Abusive, rude, disrespectful, unhinged, pathetic. Clearly some deep rooted issues going on there.

Who is he?

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 14 Sep 2021 14:00

NathStPaul?

Clockwatcher

by Clockwatcher » 14 Sep 2021 14:51

Very interesting article on Sky today about ChrisWilder looking for a new challenge.
Would certainly tick many of the right boxes!!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Sep 2021 14:54

Clockwatcher Very interesting article on Sky today about ChrisWilder looking for a new challenge.

Can`t afford him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Sep 2021 14:54

end up at Forest I imagine

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Sep 2021 14:59

windermereROYAL
Clockwatcher Very interesting article on Sky today about ChrisWilder looking for a new challenge.

Can`t afford him.

Reckon that's probably up to him to decide that.....

3542 posts