Pauno out

3542 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno out

by Sanguine » 05 May 2021 14:52

If that's the extent of his crimes - given how effective the duo of Laurent and Rino have been when both available, then he's doing briliantly.
If Pauno was perfect (or indeed, particularly experienced), he'd be managing somewhere else. Fans are losing a bit of perspective here.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 05 May 2021 15:01

Hendo
Snowball
From Despair To Where?
Well, that's a twist.

"I can't be racist, none of my friends are black"

Are you OK with "white supremacist" then?

Remember guys, karbota isn't racist, he just thinks other races and cultures are inferior.

Being Welsh-Irish, I’m not a racist but I KNOW other races and cultures are inferior.

:shock:

Are you quoting me or desperate Des?.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 05 May 2021 15:03

Snowball
From Despair To Where?
karbota
Yet another relapse, what medication are you on?. I am not a racist, I don't hate people from a different race or colour, life experience has embedded in me a preference to be with people of my own kind.

Well, that's a twist.

"I can't be racist, none of my friends are black"

Are you OK with "white supremacist" then?

Remember guys, karbota isn't racist, he just thinks other races and cultures are inferior.

Being Welsh-Irish, I’m not a racist but I KNOW other races and cultures are inferior.

Are you quoting me or desperate Des?.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 May 2021 15:22

Interview going on at the moment with Pauno at:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattJoy96

(you don't need an account to read)

Pauno on his future: “First of all, I want to thank everyone who wants me to continue. Moving forward, I do not know the answer is going to be. I want to be here.”

Pauno: “If you give me time, I can give you individual and team improvements. This is where we look now. We can still improve as a team and make a huge step forward and look to build moving into the next season.”

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2021 15:24

WHY WOULD THIS EVEN BE DISCUSSED!

Madness. :twisted:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2021 15:49

Sanguine If that's the extent of his crimes - given how effective the duo of Laurent and Rino have been when both available, then he's doing briliantly.
If Pauno was perfect (or indeed, particularly experienced), he'd be managing somewhere else. Fans are losing a bit of perspective here.

Sure - but that's been part of the issue, Laurent and Rino as you say, complement each other very well, but when you add Semedo to the equation too, it's all a bit samey. It's the opposite to what Gomes did, but both made mistakes of not maintaining a diverse midfield balance

These are the games the three have started in a 3 man midfield:
Rotherham (H) - 3 points
Coventry (A) - 0 points
Preston (H) - 0 points
Stoke (H) - 0 points
Bournemouth (A) - 0 points
Millwall (A) - 1 point (Semedo subbed at half time at 1 down)
Wednesday (A) - 1 point (Against 10 men for 60 minutes)
QPR (A) - 3 points
Brentford (A) - 0 points
Luton (H) - 3 points
Swansea (A) - 1 point
Brentford (H) - 0 points (although 1-1 when Semedo subbed)
Millwall (H) - 0 points
Boro (H) - 0 points
Wycombe (A) - 0 points
Rotherham (A) - 3 points

Which brings a total of 15 points from 16 games - which certainly deviates from the mean and is close (if not is) to relegation form

I sympathise with the lack of options he's had because of the amount of injuries - but it doesn't excuse the fact that these three in midfield were a mistake and he kept reverting back to it

Sure - as a wider context, it's premature to suggest he should go - and no-one expects perfection, but we expect a manager to learn from situations which don't work and act upon that - which evidently wasn't always the case this season. Whether he's able to next season is another question, and of course he deserves the opportunity to (just like Bowen did last season)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2021 16:00

Agree with that last post. All of it and would add that with Semedo in that midfield three we looked totally unbalanced.

Is Pauno only on a one year deal?
It sounds like from his interview he is far from sure he will be here next season.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 May 2021 16:16

Zip Agree with that last post. All of it and would add that with Semedo in that midfield three we looked totally unbalanced.

It sounds like from his interview he is far from sure he will be here next season.

Contract until: Jun 30, 2022

According to https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/veljko- ... iner/28313

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2021 16:20

morganb
Zip Agree with that last post. All of it and would add that with Semedo in that midfield three we looked totally unbalanced.

Contract until: Jun 30, 2022

According to https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/veljko- ... iner/28313

Thanks Moggy B.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2021 16:21

I'm surprised by that list. I thought he had a fair few appearances in attack where we did quite well.

My issue with that three was always where Rino was the one furthest forward.

At least we'd be showing good financial sense if he were only on one year should we be insane enough to sack him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2021 16:26

Snowflake Royal

I'm surprised by that list. I thought he had a fair few appearances in attack where we did quite well.

At least we'd be showing good financial sense if he were only on one year should we be insane enough to sack him.

He certainly sounds hesitant about his future. He really should be given the summer to sort the squad out and start afresh next season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2021 16:28

Snowflake Royal

There were 4/5 games where we played a diamond in midfield (hence him not being the central attacking midfielder) and we did well then - both games against Blackburn IIRC - arguably our best performance of the season (the away one) which is where you may be mistaken from

I'm surprised we didn't play that diamond formation more - seems like he gave up with it after Birmingham - which was admittedly an awful performance but it brought the best out of Puscas and Joao to an extent (in his last few months)

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 May 2021 13:39

morganb Interview going on at the moment with Pauno at:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattJoy96

(you don't need an account to read)

Pauno on his future: “First of all, I want to thank everyone who wants me to continue. Moving forward, I do not know the answer is going to be. I want to be here.”

Pauno: “If you give me time, I can give you individual and team improvements. This is where we look now. We can still improve as a team and make a huge step forward and look to build moving into the next season.”

First bit of that quote "I want to thank the ownership that has given me this opportunity and let me finish the season at least." Sounds pretty ominous.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 May 2021 16:37

On the sliding scale of how expensive managers are, do we think Pauno and his backroom staff are at the cheaper end of things? I was wondering if any money could be saved by letting them all go and getting a cheaper manager and (less) staff in. I guess a sacked manager would get some kind of settlement so we would then effectively be paying for two managers and not saving any money.

From Pauno's perceived tone in the interview (from the way things were phrased I thought he sounded quite down/vulnerable?) I wonder if there could be a 1 year break clause in his contract based on performance/Mr Dai's perception of the success of the season/which side of the bed Mr Dai gets out of.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 May 2021 17:30

morganb On the sliding scale of how expensive managers are, do we think Pauno and his backroom staff are at the cheaper end of things? I was wondering if any money could be saved by letting them all go and getting a cheaper manager and (less) staff in. I guess a sacked manager would get some kind of settlement so we would then effectively be paying for two managers and not saving any money.

From Pauno's perceived tone in the interview (from the way things were phrased I thought he sounded quite down/vulnerable?) I wonder if there could be a 1 year break clause in his contract based on performance/Mr Dai's perception of the success of the season/which side of the bed Mr Dai gets out of.

Has Dai really got purple jumper syndrome ?
(A former business owner I worked for wore a purple jumper when he was in a bad mood and we knew to avoid him on those days)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 May 2021 17:45

morganb On the sliding scale of how expensive managers are, do we think Pauno and his backroom staff are at the cheaper end of things? I was wondering if any money could be saved by letting them all go and getting a cheaper manager and (less) staff in. I guess a sacked manager would get some kind of settlement so we would then effectively be paying for two managers and not saving any money.

I suppose it's POSSIBLE that the owners said, "If you don't get promoted" or "If you don't make the POs" then we reserve the right to cancel your contract...

But frankly, the idea that we were going to make top six or autos this season? Far from likely

I don't remember but weren't we favourites for RELEGATION at the start of the season?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 May 2021 18:00

I think PAUNO will stay at least for one more season

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 06 May 2021 18:50

SouthDownsRoyal I think PAUNO will stay at least for one more season

Well I think he will at least start another season - not sure if he'll make it to the end though.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 May 2021 18:57

Let this fukking thread die FFS. :shock:

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 06 May 2021 19:20

windermereROYAL Let this fukking thread die FFS. :shock:

It’s more relevant now that it ever has been :roll:

3542 posts