by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Sep 2021 18:43

...and his acquisitions

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pauno out

by SCIAG » 26 Sep 2021 19:06

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Snowflake Royal He's definitely got some quality, which makes the inaction over the early season problems and end of last season fall off all the more frustrating.

He obviously knows how he wants us to play and he's certainly got the best from Swift, Olise, Laurent at times etc. Very nice flowing attack, apart from my personal bugbear, although he's being forced to up his tempo by the others now.

But I just don't know how much credit, if any, he can really get for the defensive improvement. Every single change that has helped has been enforced. Thats definitely one for a longer term time will tell. On the plus side, these recent results have really taken the pressure off, which should, on its own, help with the defensive lapses

I don’t think those changes were enforced. Was anyone saying Tetek should play at right back? A few of us were saying Yiadom should play centre back, but I for one was imagining Rino at right back in that situation.

It’s a miracle that such a cobbled-together back line managed to put in that kind of performance and I think that has to be down to coaching.

As for why Moore and Morrison have been so out of sorts this season, I don’t know. But I definitely think you have to give Paunovic and his staff a lot of credit for yesterday.

Rinomhota is injured so could hardly play at RB could he. Yiadom is the obvious CB substitute as he's actually played there.

Erm, here’s what you said before the match…
Snowflake Royal Dann if fit
Yiadom if Rino fit
Stickland
Laurent

That would probably be my order of preference.

None of your suggestions are “Tetek at right back” and you suggest Stickland at centre back ahead of Laurent.

That’s a perfectly legitimate view of course, but it just illustrates that Paunovic’s decisions weren’t obvious or entirely forced.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Sep 2021 19:06

AthleticoSpizz ...and his acquisitions

And the other players too !
Team game.....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Sep 2021 19:11

Indeed...sack them all ! ( :wink: )

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Sep 2021 20:19

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG I don’t think those changes were enforced. Was anyone saying Tetek should play at right back? A few of us were saying Yiadom should play centre back, but I for one was imagining Rino at right back in that situation.

It’s a miracle that such a cobbled-together back line managed to put in that kind of performance and I think that has to be down to coaching.

As for why Moore and Morrison have been so out of sorts this season, I don’t know. But I definitely think you have to give Paunovic and his staff a lot of credit for yesterday.

Rinomhota is injured so could hardly play at RB could he. Yiadom is the obvious CB substitute as he's actually played there.

Erm, here’s what you said before the match…
Snowflake Royal Dann if fit
Yiadom if Rino fit
Stickland
Laurent

That would probably be my order of preference.

None of your suggestions are “Tetek at right back” and you suggest Stickland at centre back ahead of Laurent.

That’s a perfectly legitimate view of course, but it just illustrates that Paunovic’s decisions weren’t obvious or entirely forced.

The changes are still forced. You think if Moore was fit he wouldn't still be playing and badly? Really, with a week just how much coaching do you think a manager can do to get an 18 year old midfielder ready to play RB? It's down to the player IMO.

It's not like I'm giving him no credit for anything (despite what Spizz would like people to believe - I was championing him staying not long ago and I've not once called for his head that I can remember). I just don't see much actively and clearly caused by him on the defensive side, just yet.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Sep 2021 11:32

Brogue
Jagermesiter1871
Brogue
not sure I get your point, it's a results business, he wasn't getting results, hence the pressure on him and the poll where nearly 70% of people wanted him out. He's now getting results, so is no longer under pressure. Are you new to football?

Football fans being kneejerk morons shocker.

2 wins in 17 isn’t knee jerk and to suggest it is makes you look the moron :| :roll:

From February 6 to before the Peterborough game, we achieved just 27 points in 26 games which roughly equates to relegation form. I think it’s rather naive to call it a “blip” and “kneejerk” as that’s a prolonged poor run of results. Sure, there are mitigating factors this season, but for most of those games in that period, we had most the squad fit (except Swift)

It looks like we’ve turned a corner but then last time we went on a three match winning streak, we only won 1 more game through the season

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Sep 2021 11:40

Even before the points deduction, with the financial constraints in which the squad is operating, a mid-table finish, even one where we never look like challenging for the play-offs, in fact I'd argue even one where for most of the season we look like relegation candidates, would be a successful one.

Paunovic trains the squad and puts the team on the pitch, injuries or no, and he deserves as much credit as the players for the recent turnaround in results.

Personally I'll be happy now to stay unbeaten through away trips to Derby and Cardiff - or a win and a defeat, going into the international break before we return to two very winnable home games against bottom half sides.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Sep 2021 15:11

have to give some serious credit to whoever did the recruitment in the circumstances.

watching the team Saturday - Baba was excellent, DD is a class above, Halilovic is decent, TDB a good all rounder and a step above Semedo. Hoilett a useful squad player.

Whilst I agree Sangers, a mid table finish would be fine, there is a lot of talent in the squad. Esp if and when Joao, Azeez, Rino and the Cbs get back into action. Its arguably stronger than last season, certainly squad wise. Pauno is getting a tune out of them, but he needs to continue with it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2021 17:34

Hound have to give some serious credit to whoever did the recruitment in the circumstances.

watching the team Saturday - Baba was excellent, DD is a class above, Halilovic is decent, TDB a good all rounder and a step above Semedo. Hoilett a useful squad player.

Whilst I agree Sangers, a mid table finish would be fine, there is a lot of talent in the squad. Esp if and when Joao, Azeez, Rino and the Cbs get back into action. Its arguably stronger than last season, certainly squad wise. Pauno is getting a tune out of them, but he needs to continue with it

Really striking.

It's a bloody big squad again though if we ever get them all fit.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 27 Sep 2021 23:24

Snowflake Royal
Hound have to give some serious credit to whoever did the recruitment in the circumstances.

Really striking.

It is and it is not due to injury youngsters have progressed realistically we were not expecting to and have been forced in due to injury. An ideal squad is 22/23 2 for each position we pretty much have that. With additions like Tetek and Azeez that were not meant to make the impact they have.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Sep 2021 23:26

Snowflake Royal

Really striking.

Is it a big squad? We don’t have many out on loan or sulking in the reserves. I think the squad is about right and our strongest in years.....if only there were all fit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2021 08:25

Zip
Snowflake Royal

Really striking.

Is it a big squad? We don’t have many out on loan or sulking in the reserves. I think the squad is about right and our strongest in years.....if only there were all fit.

GK: Cabral, Southwood, Boyce-Clarke
RB: Yiadom, Araruna
LB: Rahman, Bristow
CB: Morrison, Holmes
CB: Dann, McIntyre, Moore
DM: Drinkwater, Rinomhota, Tetek
CM: Laurent, Dele-Bashiru
AM: Swift, Halilovic
LW: Ejaria, Hoilett
RW: Meite, Azeez
ST: Joao, Puscas, Clarke
That's 26

On loan: Andresson, Dorsett, McNulty, Melvin-Lambert

On the edge: Ehibhatiomhan, Sackey, Strickland, Camara, Samuels, Abbey, Osario

And they have all featured for the first team.

22 to 24 is about right for the first team, plus academy.

Admittedly we're mainly overstocked at CB and CM. With 12 - 13 of our main squad in those two positions.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Sep 2021 08:34

So looks like our squad is banging on size wise at 25 plus a backup u23 squad.
You couldn’t really work on much less when you need 18 on a match and will inevitably have injuries.
We’ve got virtually no players who aren’t genuine first team options (perhaps Araruna) which is a big bonus, for too long the squad was carrying players who just weren’t going to start games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Sep 2021 09:01

yep looks about right to me. Realistically CBC, Clarke and Bristow aren't first teamers either

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Sep 2021 09:04

Hound yep looks about right to me. Realistically CBC, Clarke and Bristow aren't first teamers either

You need 3 keepers and CBC is the third. Don’t think he’s playing regularly for the u23?
Bristow is our 2nd choice LB.
Clarke obviously isn’t a first teamer yet. He’s 17 and filling a gap due to injury.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Sep 2021 09:21

Nameless
Hound yep looks about right to me. Realistically CBC, Clarke and Bristow aren't first teamers either

You need 3 keepers and CBC is the third. Don’t think he’s playing regularly for the u23?
Clarke obviously isn’t a first teamer yet. He’s 17 and filling a gap due to injury.

If it came to using CBC, suspect we'd get an emergency loan. Bristow isnt making match day squads, and tbh he isn't second choice. McIntyre would be, then probably Yiadom with Tetek/Rino RB.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Sep 2021 09:32

Hound
Nameless

If it came to using CBC, suspect we'd get an emergency loan. Bristow isnt making match day squads, and tbh he isn't second choice. McIntyre would be, then probably Yiadom with Tetek/Rino RB.

We couldn’t get an emergency loan when’s Rafael was injured and CBC is second choice in that situation.
Bristow has started games for the first team, he is one of only 2 left backs we have in the squad.
Surely Holmes would start at RB ahead of Tetek or Rino.
The fact that many of your options are injured makes the point that the squad size is hard to gauge !

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Sep 2021 09:41

OK, take out Bristow, CBC and Clarke from Ian’s squad. That leaves 23, so five of them won’t even make the bench with everyone fit. To me, that’s a big squad.

Yeah, with an 18 man squad you’re one injury away from having an academy player on the bench. But that’s hardly the end of the world when you have six other subs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Sep 2021 10:17

SCIAG OK, take out Bristow, CBC and Clarke from Ian’s squad. That leaves 23, so five of them won’t even make the bench with everyone fit. To me, that’s a big squad.

Yeah, with an 18 man squad you’re one injury away from having an academy player on the bench. But that’s hardly the end of the world when you have six other subs.

Meite's quite prob out for the season as well

Does Araruna really count? Doubt he'll be anywhere close tbh

Leaves 20, and the expectation we'll have 2-3 injured at any one time and there you have your 18
Last edited by Hound on 28 Sep 2021 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Sep 2021 10:18

SCIAG OK, take out Bristow, CBC and Clarke from Ian’s squad. That leaves 23, so five of them won’t even make the bench with everyone fit. To me, that’s a big squad.

I disagree. The Championship is well known for its intensity and with that come injuries. We will do well to have no more than 5 or 6 out on average throughout the season. So that 23 man squad is reduced to 17/18 to select from each week and you want your bench to have various positional options.

The squad is about right albeit a bit too heavy with cdm’s.

3543 posts