Pauno out

3542 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno out

by Hound » 14 Jan 2022 20:04

Don’t think Morro is ahead of schedule and Joao was always Jan

But yes - assuming Ghana don’t go further than the QFs I think we are likely to have those mentioned, Yiadom, Baba and presumably Halilovic, Tetek and Azeez back for about 29th. Maybe Moore and ejaria but who knows there. Dann maybe.

But things have never been that simple this season

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 14 Jan 2022 20:07

Mid Sussex Royal Right - time to give the guy a chance and get behind the club. He's realistically had no chance in 18 months.

Joao, Morrison and McIntyre (likely next week from the ITK's on Twitter) is a major boost.

I take it all the ppl who want him gone have listened to Conte (blaming defeat on 3 key players out the other night), Klopp, Arteta, Dean Smith this week who all have far less players out than us.

And before everyone blames training too hard/medical team etc etc Joao and Morrison are back ahead of schedule

Mid Sussex, i think you have a point...it looks like he's here till the end of the season, so now's the time to get behind the guy and the players and see if we can crawl over the line and then hit the reset switch with a new manager at the helm.
I'm hoping these last two weeks were us hitting rock bottom!! if we can just get some sort of break in our injury crisis, then Pauno should have enough to get us over the line.
Pauno's a nice guy who's had a rough time of it, i for one would love for him to steer us to safety and be given a good send off that he would fully deserve.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2022 20:09

Amen to that

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 14 Jan 2022 20:40

I'd like to see him have the support he deserves - I can't imagine a more-seasoned manager having better success and anyone else with a pedigree would never come here or would have probably jumped ship due to all the financial issues and injury woes.

That said, there is something wrong when a side ships 5 goals in one half even if it is Fulham.

The thing that angers me most is FFP. I think we're all seeing a completely unworkable set of regulations in a league that favors spending over profitability. Better to institute a salary cap than to force clubs to operate on some abstract set of "profitability and sustainability" guidelines when there is such a huge disparity in the league due to parachute payments, etc.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Jan 2022 20:51

PremAddict I'd like to see him have the support he deserves - I can't imagine a more-seasoned manager having better success and anyone else with a pedigree would never come here or would have probably jumped ship due to all the financial issues and injury woes.

That said, there is something wrong when a side ships 5 goals in one half even if it is Fulham.

The thing that angers me most is FFP. I think we're all seeing a completely unworkable set of regulations in a league that favors spending over profitability. Better to institute a salary cap than to force clubs to operate on some abstract set of "profitability and sustainability" guidelines when there is such a huge disparity in the league due to parachute payments, etc.

Re your final paragraph FFP is resulting not only in the huge disparities you mention but huge distortions too, The League placings are being impacted by points deductions. Reading, Derby, Sheffield Wed, Birmingham maybe Bristol City, Stoke City, Middlesbrough. It clearly isn’t working.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2022 20:55

The disparaging thing being, not all of those clubs that you mention will endure points deductions during the same season…to ‘even-things-up’ a bit.

…and yes, it isn’t working.

Two tier system

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Jan 2022 21:10

Ghana could only draw with Gabon, might have Rahman and Yiadom back sooner than expected at this rate, they'll go out if Gabon get a draw against Tunisia.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Jan 2022 21:16

Mid Sussex Royal Right - time to give the guy a chance and get behind the club. He's realistically had no chance in 18 months.

What revisionary, delusional BS is this? :lol:

We were literally in the playoffs for like 90% of last season until he kept oxf*rd it.

And I don’t even think all the injuries are necessarily bad luck, more shit training.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Jan 2022 21:19

tidus_mi2 Ghana could only draw with Gabon, might have Rahman and Yiadom back sooner than expected at this rate, they'll go out if Gabon get a draw against Tunisia.

Gabon play Morocco next. Don’t forget only 8 teams get knocked out in the first stage. Ghana are likely to beat Comoros which may well be enough to get through as one of the best third placed teams.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2022 21:20

CountryRoyal

We were literally in the playoffs for like 90% of last season until he kept oxf*rd it.

And I don’t even think all the injuries are necessarily bad luck, more shit training.
all about opinions.

Too much going on ‘behind the scenes’ to be bothered right now, and to ‘cast that first stone’ in all honesty….but that’s my opinion.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Jan 2022 21:25

Zip
tidus_mi2 Ghana could only draw with Gabon, might have Rahman and Yiadom back sooner than expected at this rate, they'll go out if Gabon get a draw against Tunisia.

Gabon play Morocco next. Don’t forget only 8 teams get knocked out in the first stage. Ghana are likely to beat Comoros which may well be enough to get through as one of the best third placed teams.

Oh didn't realise they did it like that, well the way they're playing I can't see them surviving much further than the group stages.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Jan 2022 21:53

AthleticoSpizz
CountryRoyal

all about opinions.

Too much going on ‘behind the scenes’ to be bothered right now, and to ‘cast that first stone’ in all honesty….but that’s my opinion.

I appreciate that, but to say Pauno has “realistically had no chance in 18 months” is just categorically untrue.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2022 22:00

Does it really matter?

We are where we are.

‘WE’ the fans have little influence in it…..forget the boos and pitch invasions….those days have long £$€ gone.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Jan 2022 22:03

PremAddict I'd like to see him have the support he deserves - I can't imagine a more-seasoned manager having better success and anyone else with a pedigree would never come here or would have probably jumped ship due to all the financial issues and injury woes.

Issue with salary caps is that what is "affordable" varies significantly from club to club. Clubs with large attendances and high commercial income can reasonably afford quite a lot more than those without that. A recently relegated Newcastle, for example, would not be putting their future at risk by paying wages that would bankrupt a recently-promoted Shrewsbury. That said, it would completely discourage the ridiculous "promotion speculation" thing that clubs like ourselves have engaged in.

I would like it to become mandatory that all players at top-flight clubs automatically have their wages cut by X% (perhaps 50%) upon relegation. You could put in a minimum floor to protect recent academy graduates. That would reduce the need for parachute payments

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Jan 2022 23:02

SCIAG

Issue with salary caps is that what is "affordable" varies significantly from club to club. Clubs with large attendances and high commercial income can reasonably afford quite a lot more than those without that. A recently relegated Newcastle, for example, would not be putting their future at risk by paying wages that would bankrupt a recently-promoted Shrewsbury. That said, it would completely discourage the ridiculous "promotion speculation" thing that clubs like ourselves have engaged in.

I would like it to become mandatory that all players at top-flight clubs automatically have their wages cut by X% (perhaps 50%) upon relegation. You could put in a minimum floor to protect recent academy graduates. That would reduce the need for parachute payments

Tripper is on a £100k a week. That's around £5.9 million a year in employment costs alone. Parachute payments aren't going to go far if this is the level of player spend on their books. Particularly if the new regulator is called in to determine a fairer distribution of monies to the EFL clubs.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Jan 2022 23:11

AthleticoSpizz Does it really matter?

We are where we are.

‘WE’ the fans have little influence in it…..forget the boos and pitch invasions….those days have long £$€ gone.

Well quite, but then it comes down to why even talk about it, especially on an Internet forum?

Rightly or wrongly, it does matter, to a lot of people.

Not least of all the people in the club, not wealthy footballers or executives, but regular folk with regular salaries and mortgages and lives - who will lose their jobs if we go down.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2022 23:16

Very fair comments…most of which are overlooked….but nobody has a ‘job for life’ these days.

Refers to Portsmouth

Are we that bad?

Jeez…let’s hope not

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Jan 2022 23:32

AthleticoSpizz Very fair comments…most of which are overlooked….but nobody has a ‘job for life’ these days.

Refers to Portsmouth

Are we that bad?

Jeez…let’s hope not

We’re nothing like Portsmouth.

They actually had some good players and even won something :D

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2022 23:43

….and short-changed and didn’t pay their ancillary staff.

(joking aside….of course)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Jan 2022 06:07

Hound Don’t think Morro is ahead of schedule and Joao was always Jan

But yes - assuming Ghana don’t go further than the QFs I think we are likely to have those mentioned, Yiadom, Baba and presumably Halilovic, Tetek and Azeez back for about 29th. Maybe Moore and ejaria but who knows there. Dann maybe.

But things have never been that simple this season

Yes, Rinomhota due back anytime now in October etc. Until they’re back on a team sheet and have played a game or two I don’t count them as back at all, not under this regime anyway.

And as we’ve seen any lessening of the injury list seems to mean the club immediately gets replacements for it eg 4 players on the list in the last 2 games after getting a few players back over the couple of games before.

3542 posts