Pauno In! Appreciation Thread

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno In! Appreciation Thread

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2021 17:02

Why is a points deduction very likely?

As I said on the match thread. This season we've fallen short. But it's been a case of resting on a knife edge and falling the wrong way a little too often.

Pens not given or missed. Momentary defensive lapses of reason, wonder goals against us.

Plenty to build from. Pauno should have learnt a lot from this season. And now he can get a pre-season, make some signings, test the options, the players can get a proper break (I imagine fatigue played a part... easier to cope with that when it's going well and you're winning regularly). And go again, hopefully with fans in the stadium to lift us at those low points.

Been a good season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Apr 2021 17:47

Snowflake Royal Why is a points deduction very likely?

As I said on the match thread. This season we've fallen short. But it's been a case of resting on a knife edge and falling the wrong way a little too often.

Pens not given or missed. Momentary defensive lapses of reason, wonder goals against us.

Plenty to build from. Pauno should have learnt a lot from this season. And now he can get a pre-season, make some signings, test the options, the players can get a proper break (I imagine fatigue played a part... easier to cope with that when it's going well and you're winning regularly). And go again, hopefully with fans in the stadium to lift us at those low points.

Been a good season.

I guess we will find out this summer if we receive a points deduction. Difficult to see how it’s avoidable as we are way over FFP limits.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Apr 2021 20:21

Zip

Been a good season.

I guess we will find out this summer if we receive a points deduction. Difficult to see how it’s avoidable as we are way over FFP limits.

Boom or bust. Looks like the gamble has failed miserably.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Apr 2021 22:47

Lower West
Zip

Been a good season.

We knew that. The gamble was about three years ago and we fired the ceo.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Apr 2021 07:14

Pepe the Horseman
CountryRoyal Unless we are challenging for top 6 by Christmas he will be gone. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he went this summer. Doubt the owners will have been impressed but who knows.

I don’t think we will be challenging next season and therefore you’d make the case in that instance it would be smarter to just recruit someone else now. Though it doesn’t matter as they would probably be shit too.

I get the view of giving a manager time. Time to adapt to the league, time to learn, time to build... but that isn’t that much of a reality for most clubs in most situations.

As far as Pauno goes, if we had a ‘proven’ manager with a good and relevant track record I’d be more swayed to give him all the time in the world but I think the notion that not doing so is in the futile and unlikely hope of “lucking out with promotion” is just as likely or unlikely as an average manager randomly becoming a good one.

Most managers have a certain style, ethos and philosophy. They have to. It therefore makes it incredibly difficult for them to adapt and change. They aren’t players who can be trained differently. Who manages the manager?

For me it comes down to, do I have the confidence that Pauno will learn from his mistakes? Become better tactically with substitutions? Adapt formations and encourage a more effective playing style.

No. Not really.

Does it matter?

No. Not really.

What are we going to do about it. We will probably get promoted again one day, but I doubt it will next season and I doubt it will be with Paunovic.

I like Pauno and want him to stay, but wouldn't be that shocked to see him go. My biggest worry if he does, is that I have absolutely no faith in the owners picking a suitable replacement, and we'll just end up with another random with a questionable CV. I mentioned this elsewhere, but didn't get an answer, would the Brexit rule changes make it harder for us to bring in another Gomes or Paunovic?

Paunovic isn’t an EU citizen, so no, probably not.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Apr 2021 08:07

SCIAG
Pepe the Horseman
CountryRoyal Unless we are challenging for top 6 by Christmas he will be gone. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he went this summer. Doubt the owners will have been impressed but who knows.

I don’t think we will be challenging next season and therefore you’d make the case in that instance it would be smarter to just recruit someone else now. Though it doesn’t matter as they would probably be shit too.

I get the view of giving a manager time. Time to adapt to the league, time to learn, time to build... but that isn’t that much of a reality for most clubs in most situations.

As far as Pauno goes, if we had a ‘proven’ manager with a good and relevant track record I’d be more swayed to give him all the time in the world but I think the notion that not doing so is in the futile and unlikely hope of “lucking out with promotion” is just as likely or unlikely as an average manager randomly becoming a good one.

Most managers have a certain style, ethos and philosophy. They have to. It therefore makes it incredibly difficult for them to adapt and change. They aren’t players who can be trained differently. Who manages the manager?

For me it comes down to, do I have the confidence that Pauno will learn from his mistakes? Become better tactically with substitutions? Adapt formations and encourage a more effective playing style.

No. Not really.

Does it matter?

No. Not really.

What are we going to do about it. We will probably get promoted again one day, but I doubt it will next season and I doubt it will be with Paunovic.

I like Pauno and want him to stay, but wouldn't be that shocked to see him go. My biggest worry if he does, is that I have absolutely no faith in the owners picking a suitable replacement, and we'll just end up with another random with a questionable CV. I mentioned this elsewhere, but didn't get an answer, would the Brexit rule changes make it harder for us to bring in another Gomes or Paunovic?

But didn't he join us before the new rules came in?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 26 Apr 2021 08:16

Hendo
Hound
Hendo
We have only used 25 players this season, which is the lowest of any team in the league. Which would point to a pretty small squad size and also may point to one of the reasons why we've run out of steam at the end of the season.

EDIT - apparently this also includes Tetek, Watson, Azeez and Onen, none of whom have started a game, and Araruna who played twice this season. With the number of injuries we've had, we've been rolling with a squad of ~16 for most of the season.

So yeah, small squad for sure.

and missing arguably our best player in Swift for most of it. We've not lost a game when he has played have we?

I don't believe we have, no.

This is correct. 12 appearances, 6 wins, and 6 draws. We've also only conceded 6 goals in those 12 games in which he has played.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 26 Apr 2021 08:28

Been a good season.

Agreed, a very good one. I've genuinely perplexed at how anyone can see things otherwise. Mentioned elsewhere that Joao's three penalty misses alone is four points gone.

Fans who here are 'indifferent' to him or want him moved on have fully signed up to the modern football way of 'one and done', promotion or bust, and it's a little sad in my view.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2021 08:34

Sanguine

Been a good season.

Agreed, a very good one. I've genuinely perplexed at how anyone can see things otherwise. Mentioned elsewhere that Joao's three penalty misses alone is four points gone.

Fans who here are 'indifferent' to him or want him moved on have fully signed up to the modern football way of 'one and done', promotion or bust, and it's a little sad in my view.

Yep. I will never accept it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Apr 2021 08:53

Sanguine
Hendo
Hound
and missing arguably our best player in Swift for most of it. We've not lost a game when he has played have we?

I don't believe we have, no.

This is correct. 12 appearances, 6 wins, and 6 draws. We've also only conceded 6 goals in those 12 games in which he has played.

17 goals in those games as well, which isn't too bad.

Although, it is less than 6 goals conceded as both Swansea goals came after he was taken off yesterday (there may be more as well) :wink: and it will be less than 17 goals when he is on the pitch as well, as Esteves' goal obviously came after he was off yesterday and there may be more as well.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Apr 2021 09:31

Lower West
Zip

Been a good season.

We have got away with one. FFP is being ripped up. Wealthy owner rules will suit us. With Covid parameters said i be surprised if any team is scrutinised for next season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Apr 2021 10:30

Good job putting this thread up to counter the other I guess. Yeah, Pauno in for now I suppose, not much choice.

Beyond that, it's best I don't comment in what's meant to be a positive thread about the guy.
Last edited by Millsy on 26 Apr 2021 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Apr 2021 10:40

I'd be very surprised if we get a points deduction and anyone else does for that matter in current times particularly when we've done all we can this season and not signed anyone to the detriment of pushing on, so can only judge Pauno favourably for now in my view; look at what a difference Dike has made to Barnsley and there's no way they'll be able to sign him unless they win the play offs.

I think Snowball said somewhere, and I agree, that there are 4 sides better than us fair and square, no argument from me.

Swansea seem to have had some fortune in that they have a small squad and haven't had many injury issues; yesterday showed how important Ayew is to them and he's hardly missed a game, and they appear to have had some decisions go in their favour.

Barnsley to me is the most disappointing, particularly with the way the game there went, they have just hit on an effective way of playing, and made the most a favourable run in, and like us in 2011 hit form at the right time. Having seen them a couple of times I am very surprised they've kept it going but fair play, they've won at Brentford and Bournemouth since Christmas and the table says they are 8 points clear of us.

I think if we cash in on Olise and keep Tmac and Morro (maybe offer a coaching role down down the line) we can challenge again with the right signings in the right area; then we can judge Pauno fully if/when he gets a chance to stamp his own players on the squad.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Apr 2021 10:50

Mid Sussex Royal I'd be very surprised if we get a points deduction and anyone else does for that matter in current times particularly when we've done all we can this season and not signed anyone to the detriment of pushing on, so can only judge Pauno favourably for now in my view; look at what a difference Dike has made to Barnsley and there's no way they'll be able to sign him unless they win the play offs.

I think Snowball said somewhere, and I agree, that there are 4 sides better than us fair and square, no argument from me.

Swansea seem to have had some fortune in that they have a small squad and haven't had many injury issues; yesterday showed how important Ayew is to them and he's hardly missed a game, and they appear to have had some decisions go in their favour.

Barnsley to me is the most disappointing, particularly with the way the game there went, they have just hit on an effective way of playing, and made the most a favourable run in, and like us in 2011 hit form at the right time. Having seen them a couple of times I am very surprised they've kept it going but fair play, they've won at Brentford and Bournemouth since Christmas and the table says they are 8 points clear of us.

I think if we cash in on Olise and keep Tmac and Morro (maybe offer a coaching role down down the line) we can challenge again with the right signings in the right area; then we can judge Pauno fully if/when he gets a chance to stamp his own players on the squad.

Strongly agree.

If i had Pauno's ear I might ask for a tad more tempo, or do that thing they used to
do a lot in Spain, slow for parts but sudden speed-ups.

I think we do allow other teams time to marshall their defences

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Apr 2021 10:57

Pepe the Horseman
SCIAG
Pepe the Horseman I like Pauno and want him to stay, but wouldn't be that shocked to see him go. My biggest worry if he does, is that I have absolutely no faith in the owners picking a suitable replacement, and we'll just end up with another random with a questionable CV. I mentioned this elsewhere, but didn't get an answer, would the Brexit rule changes make it harder for us to bring in another Gomes or Paunovic?

Again, he isn’t an EU citizen so the new rules are the same as the old rules for him.

Stam and Gomes are EU citizens, but I don’t think either of them would have trouble getting a visa.

Professional footballers have been given special dispensation because cutting out EU nationals entirely would destroy the game and be unpopular with a lot of Tory voters in the north. Aside from children, most non-EU footballers will find it easier to get work permits. Rules haven’t changed for most professions.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Apr 2021 11:21

Brogue 46 points in 38 games. :arrow:

F*ck me is this a new development I've missed? I think I heard Dim Tellor chuntering about something similar - only selected games over the course of a season count for your overall performance over that season?! :shock:

If so, can we just select our first eight games?!

Pauno in, ridiculous negative haters out!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Apr 2021 11:23

SCIAG
Pepe the Horseman
SCIAG Paunovic isn’t an EU citizen, so no, probably not.

Again, he isn’t an EU citizen so the new rules are the same as the old rules for him.

Stam and Gomes are EU citizens, but I don’t think either of them would have trouble getting a visa.

Professional footballers have been given special dispensation because cutting out EU nationals entirely would destroy the game and be unpopular with a lot of Tory voters in the north. Aside from children, most non-EU footballers will find it easier to get work permits. Rules haven’t changed for most professions.

Not vitally important in today's UK but he is also a Spanish passport holder, so would have moved here under Freedom of Movement.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Apr 2021 11:25

Because the Oracle (or should that be Orifice?) Dellor keeps going on about it. Think he must have a reliable inside source somewhere high up in the EFL! :twisted:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2021 12:02

RoyalBlue

Because the Oracle (or should that be Orifice?) Dellor keeps going on about it. Think he must have a reliable inside source somewhere high up in the EFL! :twisted:

Dellor doesn't have sources

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Apr 2021 12:14

This thread should be 25 pages to out-gun that pathetic Pauno-Out thread