11%
Semedo no
39%

Total votes: 160
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Sign Esteves and Semedo?

by Hound » 26 Apr 2021 19:51

Snowflake Royal If Esteves can't play consistently ahead of Holmes there's absolutely no reason to sign him.

Simply a fact that we don't need a RB.

You don’t think he’ll significantly improve over the next couple of years?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 26 Apr 2021 20:31

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound I think its slightly nuts that people wouldn't take on Esteves tbh. Obviously the 'price is right' bit is very ambiguous, but he's still very highly rated despite an iffy season, and still very young. Doubt there are many 18 year olds that have aced the season in the champ - even Olise has been up and down. I've no doubts he'll end up at a decent club and have a good career

But no, he made a mistake against Stoke back in october so we dont want him :)

We have 3 RBs already, why sign our 4th choice one?

Would defo sign Gibson for a reasonable fee though.

Errr Yiadom and who?

You mean he could join your other prodigy Dennis Rakels at Pafos FC?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2021 22:06

Hound
Snowflake Royal If Esteves can't play consistently ahead of Holmes there's absolutely no reason to sign him.

I don't think he's remotely ready to play more than a bit part, would be hugely overpriced for what he is, and won't do any developing he may do sitting on our bench. There's no value in signing him to warm the bench when we have plenty of options for that which are free.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 26 Apr 2021 22:14

Semedo def no
Estevezs, I like. Thing is he has somthing. I love him bombing forward. He is a full back who looks at home in wide midfield.....bit like Obita.
Problem is we need other positions filled as a priority.

Rax

by Rax » 26 Apr 2021 22:32

Ascotexgunner Semedo def no
Estevezs, I like. Thing is he has somthing. I love him bombing forward. He is a full back who looks at home in wide midfield.....bit like Obita.
Problem is we need other positions filled as a priority.

I'd agree - maybe a deal like we managed to do with Ejaria (2 season loan, then sign) might be good business for us?

yuomi

by yuomi » 26 Apr 2021 23:06

I didn't realise they'd previously turned down €10m from Citeh for Esteves (when he was 16), and he's rejected a move to Barca on undisclosed terms because he wants to be a regular at Porto.

Probably a bit above even our creative accounting.

JR

by JR » 27 Apr 2021 00:17

yuomi Esteves is very very raw. Much more than I had expected given how coveted he was when he arrived. Yes, the Championship is a different (and much more physical) league and there was always going to be a period of adapting, but I feel he's never got past that really pushed on. It's been one of those bide the time, tread water loans where he's probably got better but not to our benefit. No doubt he'll have a great career and be a stellar RB within a few years, but I feel like we've had the worst of him. Not quite as bad as Gibson, who'll be lucky to be turning out for Tranmere next season, but just a bit meh.

Semedo. Could/should have been reasonable cover for Rino and Laurent, but gets pushed forward into an unfamiliar position. I don't think, aside from a few moments of brilliance, he has ever really done enough to justify not trying someone else, and have thought quite a few times when he started that VP should have tried Aluko/Onen etc. Won't miss him.

Summary, if we could, I'd take Esteves and continue his development. No to Semedo.

100% agree with all of this!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Apr 2021 09:14

Snowflake Royal
Hound

I don't think he's remotely ready to play more than a bit part, would be hugely overpriced for what he is, and won't do any developing he may do sitting on our bench. There's no value in signing him to warm the bench when we have plenty of options for that which are free.

well yeah, hence why I highlighted the 'price is right' bit initially.

fwiw though, I suspect he'd be fine starting next season in the champ. He really didn't do too much wrong when he did start for us this year

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Apr 2021 09:52

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound

fwiw though, I suspect he'd be fine starting next season in the champ. He really didn't do too much wrong when he did start for us this year

Ultimately you think he's been decent and I think he's been sub par is what it comes down to really.

Although I also think Holmes and Araruna are good RB options, which you aren't sold on.

We probably could have covered that in 2 posts... but where would the fun be in that. :lol:

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 27 Apr 2021 18:15

Tough one but yes to Esteves because of his age. He'll learn from the experience and with Aluko/Baldock going and possibly Olise too could see him getting more opportunities in right midfield than he had this season.

Probably no to Semedo. Not expecting either to be here though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Apr 2021 05:27

If Esteves was already our player, we (as fans) wouldn’t be considering selling him.

If Semedo was already our player, I think we wouldn’t be as keen to get him off the books as we are for Aluko and Baldock, but equally we wouldn’t be hugely disappointed if he did go.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Apr 2021 08:48

Pepe the Horseman They've both been pretty average at best, but Esteves is still very young, and should have a decent career. If they were both offered to us for free, I'd take Esteves but not Semedo. I doubt we'll be signing either of them, so hopefully we won't see them in the last two games.

This seems right.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Apr 2021 21:12

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal I don't think he's remotely ready to play more than a bit part, would be hugely overpriced for what he is, and won't do any developing he may do sitting on our bench. There's no value in signing him to warm the bench when we have plenty of options for that which are free.

Ultimately you think he's been decent and I think he's been sub par is what it comes down to really.

Although I also think Holmes and Araruna are good RB options, which you aren't sold on.

We probably could have covered that in 2 posts... but where would the fun be in that. :lol:

I thought Esteves was improving after a shaky start but was then barely played. I think he would cope next season. Holmes is a centre back. He did well to cope at right back but he couldn’t offer anything going forward. I wouldn’t want him to fill in there next season.
Araruna looked ok but I do wonder how bad this injury is. On paper Yiadom and Araruna as one and two are fine but I’m not convinced they will stay fit for very long. I would be ok with Esteves back on a season long loan. No way can we afford to sign him.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 28 May 2021 11:17

Reading are trying to negotiate a new loan deal with Benfica for Alfa Semedo.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TalkReading/ ... 6011916295

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 May 2021 11:55

morganb Reading are trying to negotiate a new loan deal with Benfica for Alfa Semedo.

Apparently they may want €5m for Semedo :lol: :lol: :lol:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 May 2021 12:30

WestYorksRoyal
morganb Reading are trying to negotiate a new loan deal with Benfica for Alfa Semedo.

Apparently they may want €5m for Semedo :lol: :lol: :lol:

I assume that was the permanent fee and not just the loan fee for one season!! Assuming permanent - although I think he did ok for us overall - 5 million Euros sounds extremely pricey.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 May 2021 12:33

Fine if he's to play as one of the holding midfielders but can't stand another season of watching him play further forward - contributes very little in an advanced position

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 May 2021 12:38

Would rather see more game time for Tetek than waste valuable pennies on Semedo.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 May 2021 13:11

Pepe the Horseman Would rather see more game time for Tetek than waste valuable pennies on Semedo.

Agree. Another loan is fine if cheap, but nothing more

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 May 2021 13:12

I feel if we're going back in for Semedo that we have player sales planned.