Contract situation at end of 2020/21 season.

275 posts
Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Contract situation at end of 2020/21 season.

by Jack Celliers » 08 May 2021 16:36

andrew1957 We have a lot of players out of contract at the end of the season and it remains to be seen whether the FFP rules will allow us to re-sign the likes of Southwood, Morrison and McIntyre.

I make it we only have 14 senior players left currently under contract for next season:

3 years left - Puscas and Ejaria

2 years left - Moore, Meite and Jaoa

1 year left - Olise, Cabral, Yiadom, Holmes, Rino, Laurent, Araruna, Swift and McNulty

It seems to me we have an awful lot of work to do to create a competitive squad for next season bearing in mind that Olise is almost certain to go and several other key players only have a year left.

Things look quite grim to me.

That looks fantastic. We'll only have one shit player left, and McNulty can probably be loaned to Scotland. Good times ahead!

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 May 2021 09:37

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/m ... -siegrist/

The wheels are already in motion at Dundee United to do a deal for on-loan Reading hitman McNulty to return to the club in some capacity next season

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 May 2021 10:42

How on earth did Mcnulty get the deal he got.

Has there ever been a player who has been contracted to the club as long as he has and yet played so few games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 May 2021 11:46

paultheroyal How on earth did Mcnulty get the deal he got.

Ron Gourlay

Expect we'll just give him to them tbh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2021 12:19

paultheroyal How on earth did Mcnulty get the deal he got.

Has there ever been a player who has been contracted to the club as long as he has and yet played so few games.

Almost any of Chelsea's Academy lads.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 May 2021 16:02

Morrison gets a new contract.
https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/m ... stures-new

Contracts offered to McIntyre and Richards...

From the first team squad, we’d like to wish the very best of luck to forward Sone Aluko, striker Sam Baldock, goalkeeper Sam Walker and full-back Tennai Watson who leave the club this summer at the end of their contracts with the Royals.

Michael Morrison, however, will remain a Royal until 2022!

The centre-back, who made the move to RG2 in 2019 after five seasons at Birmingham City, has mutually agreed with the club to activate an extension clause in his contract to stay at Madejski Stadium for another year.

And contract offers have also been issued to defenders Tom McIntyre and Omar Richards, whose deals are currently due to expire next month.

Amongst our Under-23s group, we have offered new deals to striker Thierry Nevers, goalkeeper James Holden and forward Femi Azeez, while left-back Ethan Bristow remains at the club after a clause in his current contract was mutually triggered.

Ryan East, Conor Lawless, Olly Pendlebury, Jayden Onen and Sam Smith have all previously featured for our first team but will seek a new challenge away from the club next season, while Joseph Ajose, Josh Hewitt, Omri Luzon and Augustus McGiff have also been released.

Alfie Anderson, Jordan Hamilton-Olise and Yaw Turkson leave the club at the end of their scholarships as part of our Under-18s reshuffle. Everyone at Reading Football Club would like to wish all those leaving us the very best of luck in their future careers.

Great news on Morrison. Starting to get very worried about McIntyre.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 May 2021 16:06

The Richards thing is interesting, I suppose that's one of 2 things:

1) The Bayern thing was nonsense
2) We have to offer him a contract to be eligible for compensation.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 May 2021 16:09

tidus_mi2 The Richards thing is interesting, I suppose that's one of 2 things:

1) The Bayern thing was nonsense
2) We have to offer him a contract to be eligible for compensation.

Yeh, pretty sure we "offered" Loader a contract even though he was known to be leaving. But if he had already agreed to join Bayern it's odd that it hasn't been announced.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 11 May 2021 16:25

Baldock and aluko gone. 17 goals in 175 appearances between them... :roll:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 May 2021 16:30

No mention of Tetek so he obviously wasn't OOC. Why is no one else panicking about McIntyre?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 May 2021 16:38

Pepe the Horseman No mention of Tetek so he obviously wasn't OOC. Why is no one else panicking about McIntyre?

I don't like that it's run this close but hopefully the contract on the table is good enough.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 11 May 2021 16:39

Pepe the Horseman Morrison gets a new contract.

To be fair I can imagine an agent saying to run down your contract see what offers you get just to make sure RFC pay you what you deserve / can match other offers you get. A little scary but hopefully we can have faith in him...

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 May 2021 16:41

Pepe the Horseman No mention of Tetek so he obviously wasn't OOC. Why is no one else panicking about McIntyre?

McIntyre is an interesting one - does he stay with the club he supports and where he is now established in the first team squad, or does he move to another side who might offer him more money but possibly less game time. Guess it may depend on what other offers there are on the table and from where - can we really see a Premier League team coming in for him (there haven't been any rumours have there)? Perhaps he looks back to Osho last season, who decided to leave due to a poor contract offer but had he stayed would probably have played a fair chunk of the season, and seen he hasn't exactly progressed.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 11 May 2021 16:42

Have faith with McIntyre. He'll stay.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 May 2021 16:42

Maybe I'm being wilfully naive and old fashioned but I kind of think that his history with the club is in our favour and he shouldn't be too hard to nail down as long as we don't try to lowball him, which I don't think we would

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 May 2021 16:53

Interesting reading

Surprised Onen, Pendlebury and Lawless were released. the latter two had big things expected of them

Obvs no real sadness to see the back of Aluko, Baldock, Smith, East, Watson and Walker

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 May 2021 17:33

Silver Fox

Maybe I'm being wilfully naive and old fashioned but I kind of think that his history with the club is in our favour and he shouldn't be too hard to nail down as long as we don't try to lowball him, which I don't think we would

Yeh that's what I've always thought, but then why hasn't he just signed the ting? Unless it's literally only just gone out to him today, which seems unlikely.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2021 17:46

Pepe the Horseman Morrison gets a new contract.

From the first team squad, we’d like to wish the very best of luck to forward Sone Aluko, striker Sam Baldock, goalkeeper Sam Walker and full-back Tennai Watson who leave the club this summer at the end of their contracts with the Royals.

Michael Morrison, however, will remain a Royal until 2022!

The centre-back, who made the move to RG2 in 2019 after five seasons at Birmingham City, has mutually agreed with the club to activate an extension clause in his contract to stay at Madejski Stadium for another year.

And contract offers have also been issued to defenders Tom McIntyre and Omar Richards, whose deals are currently due to expire next month.

Amongst our Under-23s group, we have offered new deals to striker Thierry Nevers, goalkeeper James Holden and forward Femi Azeez, while left-back Ethan Bristow remains at the club after a clause in his current contract was mutually triggered.

Ryan East, Conor Lawless, Olly Pendlebury, Jayden Onen and Sam Smith have all previously featured for our first team but will seek a new challenge away from the club next season, while Joseph Ajose, Josh Hewitt, Omri Luzon and Augustus McGiff have also been released.

Alfie Anderson, Jordan Hamilton-Olise and Yaw Turkson leave the club at the end of their scholarships as part of our Under-18s reshuffle. Everyone at Reading Football Club would like to wish all those leaving us the very best of luck in their future careers.

Conor Lawless is the only raised eyebrow there right?

Apart from offering Richards a contract when he's already signed for Bayern.... but I guess that's a compensation thing.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 May 2021 18:05

Hound Interesting reading

Surprised Onen, Pendlebury and Lawless were released. the latter two had big things expected of them

Onen was released by Brentford last summer I believe and I am not sure he showed enough this season. Lawless was very good as a 16 year old but has not progressed that well and has often not been selected for the U23's recently. I have to say I have liked the look of Pendlebury each time I have seen him so that is a tad of a surprise to me.

However, in the past we have kept young players far too long who weren't going to make it here - such as Smith and Watson and so it is probably better to release players we are not sure about at 18/19 instead and let them seek opportunities at a lower level.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 May 2021 18:30

I do feel a bit for Watson. With all the injuries at right back I would like to have seen him given a chance.

275 posts