MATCHWATCH : Norwich City (a)

193 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Norwich City (a)

by PieEater » 01 May 2021 19:24

I'm a bit annoyed how we're such a soft touch, we roll over, bottle important games, and never seem to have that determination or spirit that thinks we'll do anything other than weakly hand over 3 points to teams, even utterly shit teams like Wycombe, Luton and Brum

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 May 2021 19:29

Norfolk Royal
Snowball
Norfolk Royal I hope you’re right but that was a very worrying performance today.

Considering he was the only CB, he did OK

If you consider presenting the opposition with two goals to be OK fine.

I understand.

Liam Moore has never made a mistake. Morrison is invincible. John Terry didn't score two own-goals in his first two games. McIntyre didn't look like a League 2 player for one game earlier this season.

and he's 21, in his first real season

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 May 2021 19:35

PieEater I'm a bit annoyed how we're such a soft touch, we roll over, bottle important games, and never seem to have that determination or spirit that thinks we'll do anything other than weakly hand over 3 points to teams, even utterly shit teams like Wycombe, Luton and Brum

We were away to a side winning the league has the sec one-best striker in the league, the best midfielder in the league.

We had a 20-year old loanee and a 21-year old at CB, a LB whose head is somewhere in Germany, a striker who has totally lost his way and is carrying an injury, and missing half of our defensive midfield.

BEFORE the GAME 12/15 predictions were for a solid defeat with 3 predictions
saying we would be demolished. It's only a few games since Norwich won 7-0 at home

4-0 UpNorth
4-0 Lower West

3-0 Royal 67

2-0 Regular John
2-0 Royal Jimmy
2-0 Jackson Corner
2-1 Snowball
3-2 Royal Forester
2-1 Ever Hopeful
2-1 Horsham Royal
2-1 Franconian Royal
3-2 Lolwut
==================
2-2 Royality Creeps In

1-2 Seahawk
2-3 morganb

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 May 2021 19:36

Stranded
Gunny Fishcake
windermereROYAL Can anyone recall a loan signing that hasn`t been total dogshit?

Can anyone recall such a fcuk up of a season and implosion after the start we had, ie winning our first seven games !

We've had plenty of fcuk up seasons, this ain't one. The opening to the season masked where the team really are which is top 10 but not quite play-offs.

Those opening games were, in retrospect pretty favourable hence why our run in wasn't quite so.

THIS, and if you remove the first 8 games, we are 12th

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 01 May 2021 19:45

Snowball
Norfolk Royal
Snowball
Considering he was the only CB, he did OK

If you consider presenting the opposition with two goals to be OK fine.

I understand.

Liam Moore has never made a mistake. Morrison is invincible. John Terry didn't score two own-goals in his first two games. McIntyre didn't look like a League 2 player for one game earlier this season.

and he's 21, in his first real season

None of those things are entirely relevant really. All i’m saying is that for a player who could be our first choice centre half very soon, today’s performance was a concern. On the first back pass there was a relatively simple outball and on the second he chose to go onto his weaker foot and somewhat inevitably made a weak back pass which allowed Pukki to score. The correct option would have been to run round the ball and leather it. Of course I understand that players make mistakes but we are talking about two glaring mistakes by a professional footballer which would have annoyed the coach at Woodley under 10s. I think Holmes probably has what it takes to make it in the championship, there was one game this season, can’t remember which one, where he absolutely stormed it. However, you can’t afford to make mistakes like he did today and have it mitigated by ‘He’s young, he’s played a lot of games.’ Thatnsort of poor decision making needs to be addressed as i’m sure it will be by the coaches.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 01 May 2021 19:48

Today was a wasted exercise, why play Gibson, Richards, Semedo, Esteves and why have Baldock and Aluko on the bench. All these guys will be gone after next week so this was a pointless exercise.
Norwich and Huddersfield are free hits in my eye's...today he could have dropped the above mentioned players and replaced them with some youngsters and back-ups and no one would have said boo. However, he chose to go with the first team, barring Tetek and we got stuffed 4-1 putting himself under more pressure!! Lose 4-1 with the youngsters in and at least you have an excuse lol, and you learn a valuable lesson about your players.
What did we learn today?
Why was Southwood not playing? i'd be pretty pissed if i were him.
Huddersfield now becomes an important game for Pauno, he's under real pressure and Cardiff are ready to take 7th place off us. So it'll be the first team again against them and another chance to experiment lost.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 May 2021 19:49

With a weakend defence we played very well for most of the first half against,
let's face it, a team, a squad, who by season's end have shown themselves
to still be far too good for this league.

I really enjoyed some of our attacking play and first half I
thought Holmes was having a stormer.

Gibson, sadly, was having a mare.

Olise wouldn't get in that Norwich 11, ATM, nor would Swift.

None of the rest of the team would get close.

Why can't people just accept the fact that this season we were a side worth 7th-10th
and today we played against a very good side, who will probably finish on 99 points?

Reading this thread you think we lost 6-0 at Rotherham
Last edited by Snowball on 01 May 2021 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2021 20:43

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal Gibson is such an enigma. He spends most of the time looking like he has a touch of class, but just drops clanger after clanger.

Yet you wanted us to sign him in the summer. Make your mind up!

Actually I said I'd take him if he was cheap. There's lots of promise there, he could well turn into a quality player.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 01 May 2021 20:55

Ascotexgunner
Notts Royal Would we have had more faith in Bowen, had we finished say 10th? Or more with Pauno currently?

I know it’s a lot of ifs buts & maybes, but it’s interesting to know.

I’m far from sold on Pauno...tactically & substations wise. And I had more faith that Bowen knew what he was doing & understood the game over here. Would the next part of his project seen us further up the table?

Im not advocating sacking yet another manager right now, but it does remind me a bit of Stam & could see him gone quickly next season if we start slowly

HAHAHA Bowen achieving what Paunovic has achieved this season.....hilarious.
Bowen was part of the problem for this mess behind the scenes with previous managers. Should have been given his P45 after the Swansea debacle as he walked off the pitch last season.
I'd love to know what his input was into some of the shit we have signed on big contracts.
Under Paunovic youngsters are a better option, especially if we get screwed by the EFL. He has bought on some good talent....

Wasn’t our overall form under Bowen top 6-10, after Gomes left? He took us from 3rd bottom to 15th...carry on that trajectory and that would’ve landed us in a similar position to where we are now.

Where’s your proof Bowen was the one who handed out big contracts? He’s on record saying he didn’t rate Puscas, one of those given a lengthy contract.

Only under Bowen did Olise become a regular, as well as McIntyre. Rino retained his starting place & Richards featured regularly.

In fact, the only youngster that’s been given more of a chance under Pauno has been Holmes.

Interesting observations

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 May 2021 21:21

Snowball With a weekend defence we played very well for most of the first half against,
let's face it, a team, a squad, who by season's end have shown themselves
to still be far too good for this league.

Last season that same Norwich squad was relegated with just 21 points. If that's the benchmark. How far is the current Reading squad away from being competitive in the Premier League? More than a season I'd say. This summer will determine whether the owners have the patience to take a long term approach.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2021 21:27

Notts Royal
Ascotexgunner
Notts Royal Would we have had more faith in Bowen, had we finished say 10th? Or more with Pauno currently?

I know it’s a lot of ifs buts & maybes, but it’s interesting to know.

I’m far from sold on Pauno...tactically & substations wise. And I had more faith that Bowen knew what he was doing & understood the game over here. Would the next part of his project seen us further up the table?

Im not advocating sacking yet another manager right now, but it does remind me a bit of Stam & could see him gone quickly next season if we start slowly

Bowen was part of the problem for this mess behind the scenes with previous managers. Should have been given his P45 after the Swansea debacle as he walked off the pitch last season.
I'd love to know what his input was into some of the shit we have signed on big contracts.
Under Paunovic youngsters are a better option, especially if we get screwed by the EFL. He has bought on some good talent....

Wasn’t our overall form under Bowen top 6-10, after Gomes left? He took us from 3rd bottom to 15th...carry on that trajectory and that would’ve landed us in a similar position to where we are now.

Where’s your proof Bowen was the one who handed out big contracts? He’s on record saying he didn’t rate Puscas, one of those given a lengthy contract.

Only under Bowen did Olise become a regular, as well as McIntyre. Rino retained his starting place & Richards featured regularly.

In fact, the only youngster that’s been given more of a chance under Pauno has been Holmes.

Interesting observations

And plenty were whinging about Bowen this time last year as well

In my opinion both have done good solid jobs. Clear progress over the last two seasons with some pretty difficult financial restrictions and squad ‘deadwood’ issues to manage which are now almost over hopefully

We were in deep shit financially and position in the table when Bowen took over. We could well have been Derby this year

Rather than the outrage, can we just take a step back and say both have done alright? Not amazingly but undoubtedly a hell of a lot better than we looked when Bowen first took over

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 May 2021 21:46

Didn’t watch as I want to enjoy my life and if they don’t care why should I, but in the risk of sounding all Ian Royal and making an il-informed opinion, we’re we as bad as the stats suggested?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 May 2021 22:37

Hound
Notts Royal
Ascotexgunner

Interesting observations

And plenty were whinging about Bowen this time last year as well

In my opinion both have done good solid jobs. Clear progress over the last two seasons with some pretty difficult financial restrictions and squad ‘deadwood’ issues to manage which are now almost over hopefully

We were in deep shit financially and position in the table when Bowen took over. We could well have been Derby this year

Rather than the outrage, can we just take a step back and say both have done alright? Not amazingly but undoubtedly a hell of a lot better than we looked when Bowen first took over

This was Bowen's team. Pauno hasn't even changed the formation. Just the style with a reversion to playing out from the back.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 02 May 2021 06:30

Snowball
Stranded
Gunny Fishcake
Can anyone recall such a fcuk up of a season and implosion after the start we had, ie winning our first seven games !

We've had plenty of fcuk up seasons, this ain't one. The opening to the season masked where the team really are which is top 10 but not quite play-offs.

Those opening games were, in retrospect pretty favourable hence why our run in wasn't quite so.

Rubbish, I believe no team has ever won their first seven games and not been promoted in this league , the season has been an implosion of epic proportions

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2021 07:22

Gunny Fishcake
Snowball
Stranded

Rubbish, I believe no team has ever won their first seven games and not been promoted in this league , the season has been an implosion of epic proportions

Mate, we didn't win our first 7 games.

We won 4, got a draw luckily then won 3 more. We then lost 4 on the bounce.

If you really want to put so much emphasis on the start to the season then you have to looks it as a run of 12 as it was a start of streaks.

Remove the opening 12 games we would be 9th. We are going to finish 7th or 8th, so pretty much where we should be.

IIRC we are the 3rd team to start this well at Championship level, this century, one won the league. The other finished 10th.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 02 May 2021 09:20

Pepe the Horseman
Norfolk Royal
Snowball
Yeah, you would think, now he's aged 29, with season after season of experience
he would have got the errors out of his system by now.

He is already a very decent centre-half and he will be a GREAT centre-half

I hope you’re right but that was a very worrying performance today.

Tbf he's played a lot of games this season and that's been his first horror show. McIntyre had a horrible game against Preston then didn't put a foot wrong. They're young, it happens.

Disagree he is usually pretty reliable at CB;but there were a few rickets when he was playing RB.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2021 09:55

CountryRoyal Didn’t watch as I want to enjoy my life and if they don’t care why should I, but in the risk of sounding all Ian Royal and making an il-informed opinion, we’re we as bad as the stats suggested?

Only saw the first half hour or so but thought we were fine until we decided to try and gift them an equaliser.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 May 2021 10:14

Westwood52
Pepe the Horseman
Norfolk Royal I hope you’re right but that was a very worrying performance today.

Tbf he's played a lot of games this season and that's been his first horror show. McIntyre had a horrible game against Preston then didn't put a foot wrong. They're young, it happens.

Disagree he is usually pretty reliable at CB;but there were a few rickets when he was playing RB.

He made the odd mistake, but no real horror shows.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 May 2021 10:52

Gunny Fishcake
Snowball
Stranded

Stranded has put you right on this

Not quite the same but..

Last season after 6 games

1 6 5 1 0 12 4 +8 16 Points Swansea
2 6 4 2 0 11 5 +6 14 Points Charlton

Swansea scraped into 6th on 70 points and GD.

That means they got 54 points from 40 games = 1.35 ppg

In contrast, this season, Reading after their 8-game start have averaged 1.38 ppg, worth 2 points more than Swansea

Charlton finished 23rd and were relegated

So, last season Swansea scraped sixth "only because" they started so well.

This is why we have 46 games. Some sides start well and fade, some start well and keep going etc etc etc

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 May 2021 11:03

TWO SEASONS

Standings after 12 Games

P12 W6 D4 L2 17-10 22 Points 2019-2020 Swansea
P12 W7 D1 L4 19-16 22 Points 2020-2021 Reading

After 45 Games

69 Points Reading
67 Points Swansea

So Swansea, last season, had a great start, topped the table for a while, then had high-mid-table form for 40 game, and, by winning at Reading in the last game (and Forest falling apart over the last six game) sneaked into the PO's on the last day on GD

If Reading lose to Huddersfield they will get just one point less than Swansea, will match Swansea if they get a draw, and will have done better than Swansea if they win.

193 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 13:11