190 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (h)

by Sutekh » 04 May 2021 16:40

When : Saturday 8th May, 2021, 12.30pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Last game of the season and nothing to play for except to guarantee 7th place :roll:

Really couldn't really care less about the result, though a win would be nice, would like to see the club just play players who they will be hoping will be still at the club next season and for the team to give a good performance.

Much more important is what happens after the game and whether there'll be anything surprising in the list of released players and then what happens over the summer....

Anyone going to stay tuned to see if there's a lap of honour by the players?

See you all, weekend of 7th August so we watch the club do it all again - lockdowns allowing.

Referee

Jarred Gillet.

Previously

22 Feb 20 > Leeds United 1-0 Reading
29 Dec 19 > Preston North End 0-2 Reading
31 Aug 19 > Reading 0-2 Charlton Athletic

Historically

The first time Reading played Huddersfield was at Elm Park in October 1975, since then then there has been another 22 home league games and, overall, Reading have the edge by 12 wins to 4 and have scored 34 to the Terrier’s 22. Recently though it’s been anyone’s game with 2 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats from the last 7 home games.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (h)

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 May 2021 17:07

I know it's a dead rubber, but a dour loss here would be an appalling end to the season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 May 2021 17:25

More of an opportunity to play the youngsters with there being nothing to play for, as opposed to against Norwich

Southwood

Yiadom
Holmes
Dorsett
Bristow

Tetek
Laurent

Onen
Swift
Camara

Meite

With some more youngsters on the bench. Not much point of including the likes of Richards, Gibson, Esteves, Semedo, Aluko or Baldock if they’re not going to be here next season

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 17:26

Southwood
Yiadom, Holmes, Dorsett, Bristow
Rinomhota, Tetek
Meite, Swift, Olise
Puscas

Cabral, Gibson, Laurent, Ejaria, Camara, Joao etc etc.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 May 2021 17:29

I want a WIN, so not too much experimentation

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2021 17:30

Snowball I want a WIN, so not too much experimentation

The last couple of months suggests quite a lot of experimentation is required to achieve one.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 04 May 2021 19:22

We have had to wait all season to get the best ref in the EFL.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 May 2021 21:35

Feel Pauno will really want to win this. I can’t see him changing things up too much tbh

I’m not sure I’d want him to either actually. Everyone’s getting a nice 6 week rest after this so may as well try to go out with a bit of a bang

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 May 2021 21:38

Yep we do need to win this. I would play Southwood though.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 May 2021 09:03

Zip Yep we do need to win this. I would play Southwood though.

100% he has to.

I agree with wholesale changes and plenty of youth but I don't think that ever really happens does it?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 May 2021 09:49

Probably for the first time ever i will not be watching a live Reading FC match as my attention will be drawn to Sheffield Wednesday vs Derby County.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 May 2021 11:01

paultheroyal Probably for the first time ever i will not be watching a live Reading FC match as my attention will be drawn to Sheffield Wednesday vs Derby County.

Best results Saturday will be

Derby 1-2 Wednesday (Derby score first, Wed score 88, 89 minutes) beat Derby end up on 43

Cardiff 0-1 Rotherham score winner in 97th minute against 9-man Cardiff

RDG finish 7th
Derby and Wednesday go down with Wycombe

Rotherham go down next year

Perfick!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2021 13:12

Not sure I agree that this is really a must win - although some believe there's a correlation to how you end a season and how you start the next one so each to their own

Besides, even if we were desperate to win, maybe it isn't the best idea to use the same group of players who have 1 win in their last 10 :wink:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 May 2021 13:17

URZZZZ More of an opportunity to play the youngsters with there being nothing to play for, as opposed to against Norwich

Southwood

Yiadom
Holmes
Dorsett
Bristow

Tetek
Laurent

Onen
Swift
Camara

Meite

With some more youngsters on the bench. Not much point of including the likes of Richards, Gibson, Esteves, Semedo, Aluko or Baldock if they’re not going to be here next season

Bristow is injured.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 May 2021 13:19

Little point in wholesale changes just for the sake of it. Giving Tetek another 60 minutes is sufficient unless changes are forced.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2021 13:28

Pepe the Horseman
URZZZZ More of an opportunity to play the youngsters with there being nothing to play for, as opposed to against Norwich

Southwood

Yiadom
Holmes
Dorsett
Bristow

Tetek
Laurent

Onen
Swift
Camara

Meite

Bristow is injured.
That actually solves a problem for me, as Bristow and Dorsett alongside each other is very raw and was a clear weakness in the team.

I guess Richards back in to my XI then.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 05 May 2021 13:41

Why? He may not be here next year, he is out of contract isn't he? Why not play a 'keeper who will be here next season. Perhaps start with Rafeal, to give him 46 starts this season. then bring on the Icelandic lad at half time/ All explained to Rafa before the start, of course. Has anyone seen a goalkeeper subbed on performance? The only keepers I have seen subbed are because of injury.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2021 13:47

The Royal Forester

Why? He may not be here next year, he is out of contract isn't he? Why not play a 'keeper who will be here next season. Perhaps start with Rafeal, to give him 46 starts this season. then bring on the Icelandic lad at half time/ All explained to Rafa before the start, of course. Has anyone seen a goalkeeper subbed on performance? The only keepers I have seen subbed are because of injury.

To help judge how he does, what contract we might offer and put him in the window if we don't want to offer one.

What do we have to learn about Cabral at this point? Nothing.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 05 May 2021 13:57

Snowflake Royal
The Royal Forester

To help judge how he does, what contract we might offer and put him in the window if we don't want to offer one.

Who's to say Southwood will accept and sign a new contract (if we offered one)? He may well be looking to his future and wanting first team games elsewhere, even in a lower division.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2021 13:58

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal
The Royal Forester Why? He may not be here next year, he is out of contract isn't he? Why not play a 'keeper who will be here next season. Perhaps start with Rafeal, to give him 46 starts this season. then bring on the Icelandic lad at half time/ All explained to Rafa before the start, of course. Has anyone seen a goalkeeper subbed on performance? The only keepers I have seen subbed are because of injury.

Who's to say Southwood will accept and sign a new contract (if we offered one)? He may well be looking to his future and wanting first team games elsewhere, even in a lower division.

Who is to say anything then?

190 posts