Our Next Left Back?

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Our Next Left Back?

by Snowball » 19 May 2021 10:34

We are 99% Richards is gone (but did I miss the announcement?)

Curious who Nobbers think we should go for.

Does it have to be a free or an academy player, or can we spend maybe half a mill?

I can't remember Joe Jacobsen of Wycombe but he was Fans League Player of the Season 2019-2020
and has made the WhoScored Team of the season at Left Back.

Valued around 250K and would be on low wages.

Question 2

If Richards does transfer but we were offered him for a year on loan, should we take it or look to the future?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Our Next Left Back?

by Brogue » 19 May 2021 10:36

always been a fan of joe mattock, i think we should go for him

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 May 2021 10:40

If we could get Richards back on loan I think we'd have to snap that offer up, with our limitations financially we are incredibly unlikely to get a better left back, that said I can't really see it happening, think Richards will be staying at Bayern as at least the back up option.

The Wycombe left back is a good shout. I'd certainly like a 1st team left back to come in with Bristow promoted to back up.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 19 May 2021 11:12

Not a very exciting one but what about Amari'i Bell at Blackburn?

Although I think we'll sign some wonder kid from abroad from someone like Athletico Madrid on loan until we find a permanent signing.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 May 2021 11:25

There were some suggestions posted on Twitter recently

https://mobile.twitter.com/RFCLatest/st ... 7760195585

1) Nathanael Ogbeta - Shrewsbury Town:

Ogbeta, an England under-20 international, has earned himself a reputation of one of League Ones hottest prospects during his 25 appearances for Salop. Also picked up the clubs YPOTY award.

2) Ethan Bristow - Reading U23s:

Ethan has been the Royals left-back in cup matches this season. Has good vision, makes intelligent runs and has plenty of pace to go with it.

3) Ian Maatsen - Chelsea U23s:

The Chelsea youngster has been explosive down the left for Charlton this season. An excellent first full season as a professional, a player with lots of potential to grow.

4) Yuri Ribeiro - Free Agent:

The 24-year-old looks set to depart Nottingham Forest and would be a great addition. Has always looked a decent player who could push on some more for the Royals!
RFC Latest

5) Cohen Bramall - Lincoln City:

Recently made the step from League Two to League One and not looked out of place at all, blistering pace and a wand of a left foot on free kicks.

Also, from another thread - defender Connor Ogilvie who plays as a left back or centre back for Gillingham has now rejected a new contract offer to stay at the club, with Peterborough United & Reading interested in his signature this summer.

Then of course there is the "bring back Obita" crowd.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 May 2021 12:04

morganb There were some suggestions posted on Twitter recently

Ogbeta, an England under-20 international, has earned himself a reputation of one of League Ones hottest prospects during his 25 appearances for Salop. Also picked up the clubs YPOTY award.

Ethan has been the Royals left-back in cup matches this season. Has good vision, makes intelligent runs and has plenty of pace to go with it.

The Chelsea youngster has been explosive down the left for Charlton this season. An excellent first full season as a professional, a player with lots of potential to grow.

The 24-year-old looks set to depart Nottingham Forest and would be a great addition. Has always looked a decent player who could push on some more for the Royals!
RFC Latest

Recently made the step from League Two to League One and not looked out of place at all, blistering pace and a wand of a left foot on free kicks.

Also, from another thread - defender Connor Ogilvie who plays as a left back or centre back for Gillingham has now rejected a new contract offer to stay at the club, with Peterborough United & Reading interested in his signature this summer.

All eminently sensible suggestions.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 May 2021 13:38

morganb There were some suggestions posted on Twitter recently

RFC Latest

Is the Chelsea guy the one I read somewhere they can leave permanently for free but with Chelsea getting a big sell-on?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 May 2021 13:40

I think we need "explosive"

Watching Bournemouth v Brentford (or Norwich or Watford)
I felt they did everything quicker (and don't blame Ejaria, we just
seem to be generally more laid back than we should be)

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 May 2021 13:41

Snowball 3) Ian Maatsen - Chelsea U23s:

Is the Chelsea guy the one I read somewhere they can leave permanently for free but with Chelsea getting a big sell-on?[/quote]

Think that may be:

Chelsea will let Luke McCormick go on a free with a sell-on. Championship clubs showing interest.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RFCLatest/st ... 8438287361

Wiki:

Luke Philip McCormick (born 21 January 1999) is an English professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Chelsea.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 May 2021 13:50

We were rumoured to be interested in Maatsen last year weren’t we?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 May 2021 14:02

Hound We were rumoured to be interested in Maatsen last year weren’t we?

Yep.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=187124&hilit=Maatsen

He eventually went on loan to Charlton last season (35 games, 1 goal)

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 May 2021 14:19

Snowball We are 99% Richards is gone (but did I miss the announcement?)

Does it have to be a free or an academy player, or can we spend maybe half a mill?

I can't remember Joe Jacobsen of Wycombe but he was Fans League Player of the Season 2019-2020

Question 2

If Richards does transfer but we were offered him for a year on loan, should we take it or look to the future?

This news item on the OS strangely says that OR was offered a new contract:

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/m ... tures-new/

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 May 2021 14:28

Royalwaster
Snowball We are 99% Richards is gone (but did I miss the announcement?)

Question 2

This news item on the OS strangely says that OR was offered a new contract:

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/m ... tures-new/

Think this is related to getting compensation for a club-trained player. If no contract was offered then no compo will be given. If he goes abroad then compensation will be less than if he moved to an English club.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 May 2021 20:18

tidus_mi2 If we could get Richards back on loan I think we'd have to snap that offer up, with our limitations financially we are incredibly unlikely to get a better left back, that said I can't really see it happening, think Richards will be staying at Bayern as at least the back up option.

Champions League standard? Some way short I'd say.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1