948 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Injury watch 2021/22

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Oct 2021 12:13

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman
Nameless
Decent case to argue that Laurent looks a pretty decent starter at centre back. Makes us much more comfortable playing the ball around at the back.

Agreed, but he's also one bad pass away from "GET HIM BACK IN MIDFIELD ASAP".

Corrected for you.

Ha, yep.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Oct 2021 13:29

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Would think there's some sort of contribution / compensation towards medical expenses.

Obviously, if we are conditioning our players badly, that's going to continue to have an effect on international duty.

Is there any evidence that we are conditioning players 'badly' ?
but I guess I was expecting someone to want to point the finger at the club for injuries happening elsewhere !

The consistently high number of injuries, many not impact, plenty out of matches, especially this season, raises obvious questions.

When Bob Paisley was manager of Liverpool I seem to recall him saying that in training tackling and physical contact was kept to a minimum as he wanted the players to work on reading the game and anticipating situations so that Liverpool would pick up the ball more from interceptions and players getting into space. As I recall Liverpool often had seasons with minimal injuries and while the game was slower back then it was also harder as players weren’t as fit as these days and pitches were hardly the bowling greens you mostly get today.

Do clubs these days follow that sort of approach to training games I wonder?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Oct 2021 11:20

I'm not normally one to jump on journo bashing, but JLow's latest update on this literally told us nothing. What was the point of publishing?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2021 11:26

WestYorksRoyal I'm not normally one to jump on journo bashing, but JLow's latest update on this literally told us nothing. What was the point of publishing?

because he literally does know nothing about it, the information just isnt shared

did make me lol a bit when the first 5 injuries all had a return date of 'Unknown'. I'm sure its more accurate to say Unknown to him. Did hear rumours McIntyre was a lot closer than end of Nov as well, but maybe wrong

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Oct 2021 11:36

Hound
WestYorksRoyal I'm not normally one to jump on journo bashing, but JLow's latest update on this literally told us nothing. What was the point of publishing?

because he literally does know nothing about it, the information just isnt shared

did make me lol a bit when the first 5 injuries all had a return date of 'Unknown'. I'm sure its more accurate to say Unknown to him. Did hear rumours McIntyre was a lot closer than end of Nov as well, but maybe wrong

It is guesswork on his part. It wouldn’t hurt the club to feed him some info.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 19 Oct 2021 11:43

He has a quota of stories to write per week, to get enough ad click throughs to pay his salary. Journalism in 2021

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Oct 2021 14:04

Club have got the head physio to explain the situation in detail in a club statement. https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/o ... discussed/

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Oct 2021 14:07

TiagoIlori Club have got the head physio to explain the situation in detail in a club statement. https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/o ... discussed/

Good read this, so all but one of the injuries have been game impact.

Interesting re post match recovery times in the modern game too

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Oct 2021 14:15

TiagoIlori Club have got the head physio to explain the situation in detail in a club statement. https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/o ... discussed/

Some of the injuries have been worse than was reported. Who had the dislocated shoulder?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Oct 2021 14:22

Zip

Some of the injuries have been worse than was reported. Who had the dislocated shoulder?

Moore?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2021 14:44

Hendo
Zip

Moore?

Joao

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Oct 2021 14:46

Hound
Hendo
Zip

Moore?

Joao

Thought Joao was the fractured and dislocated hip?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Oct 2021 14:58

So, can you match the injury to the player?

an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament)
a PCL (posterior cruciate ligament)
a dislocated shoulder
a fractured and dislocated hip
a long-term medial knee ligament in one knee followed by a tendon problem in the other
two or three ankle ligament ruptures
a couple of long-term hamstring tendon injuries
a triple bone fracture in the foot.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2021 15:00

Hendo
Hound
Hendo
Moore?

Joao

did his shoulder against Stoke as well

interesting read anyway

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2021 15:01

morganb So, can you match the injury to the player?

an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) - Meite
a PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) - Morro?
a dislocated shoulder - Joao
a fractured and dislocated hip - Joao
a long-term medial knee ligament in one knee followed by a tendon problem in the other - Araruna
two or three ankle ligament ruptures - Holmes, Moore, Rino?
a couple of long-term hamstring tendon injuries - Halilovic, Hoilett?
a triple bone fracture in the foot - McIntyre

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Oct 2021 15:01

Hound

Yes but he has access to Pauno at least twice a week (after games 1 or 2) and the weekly press conf on Thurs....why doesn't he ask? I'm not in to journo bashing either but I don't think he's much good

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2021 15:03

Mid Sussex Royal
Hound

Yes but he has access to Pauno at least twice a week (after games 1 or 2) and the weekly press conf on Thurs....why doesn't he ask? I'm not in to journo bashing either but I don't think he's much good

Agree he isnt the strongest, but think he does ask but just gets pretty general stuff back - ie 'we are reviewing it, might be back soon etc'

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Oct 2021 15:05

Hendo
Hound
Hendo
Moore?

Joao

Yep that’s what I thought.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Oct 2021 15:07

Hound

a long-term medial knee ligament in one knee followed by a tendon problem in the other - Araruna

Yep seems about right. Did Joao do his shoulder in the same game he suffered the hip injury then?
Morrison’s injury may end his career. He will certainly be out for a good number of months.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2021 15:13

Zip
Hound

Yep seems about right. Did Joao do his shoulder in the same game he suffered the hip injury then?
Morrison’s injury may end his career. He will certainly be out for a good number of months.

never confirmed he dislocated it, but pretty sure he did his shoulder in our first game against Stoke, yeah. Went down and wasn't right all game after that. Morro will certainly struggle to get back in if he is only fit after McIntyre and Holmes return

948 posts